• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

neonglow

I finished building the Penguin set. It's a really good set for $13 though it feels like both vehicle models could have been their own separate polybag. The simple SNOT building on Penguin's boat helped a lot with it's overall look. The Batman logo is a printed piece which is nice.

mrkgoo

I finished building the Penguin set. It's a really good set for $13 though it feels like both vehicle models could have been their own separate polybag. The simple SNOT building on Penguin's boat helped a lot with it's overall look.

Lol that's awesome. For once is like to get the set fur the vehicle and not the minifigs.

The $20 Super Hero set strikes again. Great vehicle and 3 great minifigs. Only downside is it's another Captain America minifig, but it's a different color and print. This is a set I won't wait to get. It will be mine soon.

I finished building the Penguin set. It's a really good set for $13 though it feels like both vehicle models could have been their own separate polybag. The simple SNOT building on Penguin's boat helped a lot with it's overall look. The Batman logo is a printed piece which is nice.

Cool set for the price. A new batsuit to add to my collection. Waiting for the bat space suit, bat camouflage suit, bat armor, etc to add too.

The $20 Super Hero set strikes again. Great vehicle and 3 great minifigs. Only downside is it's another Captain America minifig, but it's a different color and print. This is a set I won't wait to get. It will be mine soon.

I missed out on the darker one (which I regret) but I'm glad to get him in more proper colors + red skull and a better set.

Went to walmart this morning and saw this:

legoGSa_zps482c633c.jpg

on clearance for $50.

Mischen die Taschen!

???

Mix the bags!

...and about 2.5hrs later, my space crew:

Went to walmart this morning and saw this:

on clearance for $50.

Mischen die Taschen!

???

Mix the bags!

...and about 2.5hrs later, my space crew:

Nein! No mixing of the bags!
This is what happens when you mix bags!
Blh8EkU.jpg

Galaxy Squad is an under appreciated theme. So awesome...just wish they had battle packs and a bug battle pack with brick built bugs like in the sets.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Yes that is the current release. Simpsons is the next Collectible Minifigures (CMFs) release around May/June. After that, they are back to the regular CMF releases.

Sample of what has been released in the CMF series in the past:

tumblr_mmgyfdLTdb1rir6lho1_1280.jpg

Sweet! I'm gonna try and collect all the CMF figures for the movie set definitely. Also, sets that contain minifigs - are those minifigs in the set available in the CMF polybags as well? I like getting exclusive minifigs over duplicates. Duplicates come later. =P

Also, should I open my Pyjamas Emmett and Western Emmett minifigs? They are still in their polybags right now - now, while I will like to collect minifigs and create sets with them, does the value go down drastically once they are opened from their polybags?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
This is what happens when you mix bags!
Blh8EkU.jpg

Galaxy Squad is an under appreciated theme. So awesome...just wish they had battle packs and a bug battle pack with brick built bugs like in the sets.

Always mix the bags. Unless the est is over 3,000 pieces. Then you can sort properly into "big pieces" and "small pieces"

Here is a picture of a properly unbagged Death Star.

Udehy.jpg

Where's the fun in that? :p

One thing I want to do is eventually get the SSD and mix the bags. It'd take 30min to find the right piece, lol.

Great find for that price. One of the best sets last year. Now you need Hive Crawler so that it has a worthy opponent.

I want to get all of the sets if only for the vehicles and squad members, don't really care about the bug stuff -- though, if I did get them all I'd probably use all the bug pieces to make one giant bug-thing.

Ryuuroden

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaan, Dis Tower Bridge be tripping dem cheese blocks. !_! Anyways, finally at the top of both towers so it should be downhill from here. Quite the experience though, I've never done a set this big before with no numbered bags. Honestly that wasn't the problem so much as that when I get that sort of thing, I gotta sort everything by piece type and color which cause I'm OCD and that leads to moving from a table to taking up the entire dinning room. Downside is I dropped my camera today and smashed the built in zoom lens which means no pictures till I get a new camera :/ sux...

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaan, Dis Tower Bridge be tripping dem cheese blocks. !_! Anyways, finally at the top of both towers so it should be downhill from here. Quite the experience though, I've never done a set this big before with no numbered bags. Honestly that wasn't the problem so much as that when I get that sort of thing, I gotta sort everything by piece type and color which cause I'm OCD and that leads to moving from a table to taking up the entire dinning room. Downside is I dropped my camera today and smashed the built in zoom lens which means no pictures till I get a new camera :/ sux...

Man, that sucks about the camera. Sorry to hear that.

I don't understand what you mean. Are you equating making a character from the movie 100% accurate to being an obsessed AFOL like The Man Upstairs?
It only takes five very minimal changes to make him screen accurate, something that is easily done with the extra pieces involved in the set.

Sure, most people won't care, but it's so easy to do and makes it more enjoyable as a giant figure during playtime. I love me some Metalbeard.

EDIT: Oh, you're banned. Nevermind.

On another note, I really want that sweet alternate hoverjet-esque build for the Super Cycle Chase.

I am not sure why he post that comment but for it worth I do appreciate your post on how to make Metal Beard screen accurate.

I saw the movie today with my two (teenage) kids and even they love it. Some of the joke and Easter Egg for LEGO fans they didn't get but they thought the movie was very funny and enjoyable. I saw it in Real 3D and it was really good. The whole movie it was like watching real LEGO diorama set. The 3D was well done and not over the top (ie nothing flying into your face constantly). As for the movie, I love it, my only gripe (if you can call it that) is that the scenes are all jam pack and you barely have time to digest them all). This would be great for Blu-ray watching.

Sadly according to Regal the promotion figures are all gone. They claim they only got 100 or so and the theater was pack this weekend. (Which if true is pretty good since it was snowing and icy rain this weekend in the northwest, I doubt any sane parent would drive their kids to see this movie with 7" of snows). I saw a whole bunch on eBay so I guess that where they are all going to end up. (So to the other Gaffer I offer to trade, sadly I won't have Pyjama Emmet to trade).

I stop by the Target near the theater and their shelves of LEGO were empty! think the movie will really extend the LEGO bubble that we are in.

neonglow

I don't understand what you mean. Are you equating making a character from the movie 100% accurate to being an obsessed AFOL like The Man Upstairs?
It only takes five very minimal changes to make him screen accurate, something that is easily done with the extra pieces involved in the set.

Sure, most people won't care, but it's so easy to do and makes it more enjoyable as a giant figure during playtime. I love me some Metalbeard.

EDIT: Oh, you're banned. Nevermind.

On another note, I really want that sweet alternate hoverjet-esque build for the Super Cycle Chase.

I also appreciate the suggestions on how to make MetalBeard movie accurate. The image you posted was very helpful.

neonglow

I don't know the source for these.

Looks like the storage area of a LEGO store. They probably got these in along with all the new sets that arrived in stores today.

As nice as it looks, I don't think it will sell very well at it's price point of $250. It's a kid's set at an AFOL price. I have a feeling that there will be big discounts on this set for Black Friday.

jpatez34

Neo Member
Liking the Sea Cow!

Also I just noticed that it includes "The Double Decker Couch!"

Any news on when Benny's Spaceship is released?

ghostmind

Looks like the storage area of a LEGO store. They probably got these in along with all the new sets that arrived in stores today.

As nice as it looks, I don't think it will sell very well at it's price point of $250. It's a kid's set at an AFOL price. I have a feeling that there will be big discounts on this set for Black Friday.

Yeah, this will only be an attractive buy for a rather small audience. It is possible that they are only doing a limited production run.

It will be interesting to see if there is a line at the LEGO store for this one on release day.

I don't know the source for these.

0EKO9WZl.jpg

I believe source is LEGO. They makes those sets. You can see the logo on the box.

J/K Seems like the Feb 17th rumor of that set for VIPs is more likely. Lots of sets being release on the 17th. I think it's partly because they expect a lot of traffic from The LEGO Movie.

TRU U.S. has a $50 get $15 off sale and they are listing Mixels for sale in store now. They are about 10% above MSRP, but if get enough for $50 it's still a decent ~20% off. I plan on stopping by this week and see if they actually have them in store.

Lego GAF, I want to get a challenging/fun lego set for my gf and I to build on valentines day!

Looking to spend under 200$

What should we build!

Rootbeer

Banned
Today's haul was epic. All 4 legend beasts, all 6 micro fighters, grievous, 2 new batman sets, electro set, easter bunny, PAB... Had to save some sets for next month though, so no Goblin or Hulk. They looked fabulous though.

robochimp

I've had some clearance/sale priced lego sets, picked up over the last few years, stashed in a closet for when my son is older(now 2.5 years old) well he saw them and demanded we build, he didn't have to twist my arm much.

Well, we just built Lex's power armor. Wow, that is an elegant set. It's amazing how 200 pieces can creat such a detailed and sturdy mech.

neonglow

Today's haul was epic. All 4 legend beasts, all 6 micro fighters, grievous, 2 new batman sets, electro set, easter bunny, PAB... Had to save some sets for next month though, so no Goblin or Hulk. They looked fabulous though.

I'd like to see your thoughts on the Legend Beasts and Easter Bunny sets once you build them. They're on my to buy list.

Parisian restaurant or pet shop from the modular series.

I don't have that one, but that is an fantastic suggestion!

I've had some clearance/sale priced lego sets, picked up over the last few years, stashed in a closet for when my son is older(now 2.5 years old) well he saw them and demanded we build, he didn't have to twist my arm much.

Well, we just built Lex's power armor. Wow, that is an elegant set. It's amazing how 200 pieces can creat such a detailed and sturdy mech.

For those that don't have it, it is one of the best Super Hero value sets. Get it before it's not available anymore. There is a reason why it's one of the only first wave Super Hero sets still available. If you have kids and they see The LEGO Movie, they will love having Superman (non-movie version) and Wonder Woman.

I have several of that set. O_O

Rootbeer

Banned
Thanks for the mixels posts guys. Reminded me about those. They dug a box out and I got all of series one. Whew! I am spent... Literally.

Also checked for friends animals series 4... No luck there though.

Crap... I did not see the Cap set... I bet they had it. Oh well, enough for one day.

I don't have that one, but that is an fantastic suggestion!

For those that don't have it, it is one of the best Super Hero value sets. Get it before it's not available anymore. There is a reason why it's one of the only first wave Super Hero sets still available. If you have kids and they see The LEGO Movie, they will love having Superman (non-movie version) and Wonder Woman.

I have several of that set. O_O

Seconded. One of the best sets out there, and for less than $20 too.

Ironmask

Lego GAF, I want to get a challenging/fun lego set for my gf and I to build on valentines day!

Looking to spend under 200$

What should we build!

Lego Tower Bridge, it's a specular building, so you'll get to build the same building twice and you have an equal amount of fun.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'd like to see your thoughts on the Legend Beasts and Easter Bunny sets once you build them. They're on my to buy list.

well sadly I was not able to get the Lion... i'm not sure if it wasn't on shelf or I overlooked it or what... sigh, but I got the others. eagle, gorilla, wolf and gator. hopefully, as with most chima stuff, these will stay in ready supply, and I can just pick up the remaining one in March when I go again.

sorry, wish I could post more, I got off work at 8am, had to make the trip to the lego store (from work to lego store and finally to home is almost a 5 hour ordeal), and on top of it all I had a really horrible experience that almost brought me to the emergency room, but I won't get into that here. wish I had the energy to do a review. I'll have to build them later. I gotta get some sleep.

Noticed Simpsons house was sold out, even though my store got a shipment in Monday *and* this morning (the mixels and more SW came in today's). Glad I secured one early.

Ironmask

I'm not embarassed to reccomend the Lego 41037 Friends Beach House to anybody. I had the opportunity to buy it for my daughter, and build it with her.
Being an house, nothing seems missing and there's enough room to play with the minifigs or add other funitures. Also it has nice little touches here and there like the castle bed that recline to create a sofa and the lovely iphone dock station with speakers.
The pinky/violet stuff is not too prominent and can be easily exchanged with white pieces.

I'm not embarassed to reccomend the Lego 41037 Friends Beach House to anybody. I had the opportunity to buy it for my daughter, and build it with her.
Being an house, nothing seems missing and there's enough room to play with the minifigs or add other funitures. Also it has nice little touches here and there like the castle bed that recline to create a sofa and the lovely iphone dock station with speakers.
The pinky/violet stuff is not too prominent and can be easily exchanged with white pieces.

I hadn't paid attention to that set before now but it looks really nice! My daughter is really getting into the concept of a "city" with the various Creator and Friends houses we have. This one is now on the radar.

I have to admit, the Beach House looks very well done. If I hadn't seen pictures of it, I probably would have passed but now I don't know if I can resist it.

neonglow

What says love better than a Haunted House?

That's a good choice. I will second this recommendation!

This is also on my to buy list. I love the Friends buildings except for those sets that fit in a strip mall. There's too many of those and they're very similar.

Haven't checked in with the thread for a few days. No new purchases from as I still have a backlog of builds with a few sets halfway through completion like Bag End and the Hive Crawler.

But I managed to see the LEGO Movie on Saturday morning. My wife had no interest in going and my daughter is still too young, she'll be two next month, so I went on my own. Man, what a great film. The theatre was packed with families and everyone seemed to love the film, they even gave it a standing ovation. Now I need to buy every movie set that has the Robot Police, I love their designs! And Benny is star of the film. I loved how he
attempted to build his "Spaceship, Spaceship , SPACESHIP" several times before finally being given the green light by the rest if the team
. And I sympathize with
Will Ferrell aka Lord Business
, one day I'll let my daughter take apart my sets and build whatever she likes. Again, great film vas I can't wait to own it on Blu Ray.

Ryuuroden

Well I finished Tower Bridge and what a beautiful display piece it is. It was also a pretty enjoyable build. I really find that I have been loving all the architectural details you get in these sorts of sets.

I am now continuing my epic journey through all my backlog and have started on the VW Camper. I have just barely gotten started and I am already loving it. So far it has been the most pleasing build to me since Parisian Restaurant (which btw is a great romantic set). This doesn't mean I rank it over "Best" Star or Tower Bridge, it's just that it's really hitting all the right places for me.

Top Bottom