• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Lego The Hobbit Video Game has a decent pre-order

http://www.thebrickfan.com/gamestop-lego-the-hobbit-video-game-pre-order-bonus-revealed/

I do love that torso and it might be a nice alternative for Unexpected Gathering.

EDIT:
I've been back and forth on this set, mainly because I already have Gimli + Frodo + I don't care all too much for elves, but is this worth getting at the discount?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C9X59RA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I still am leaning towards not getting it though...

Currently with the number of bricks I own I still think I'm in it more for the Minifigures, but as time goes by and I gain more bricks I'll be getting it for bricks especially when I can get those Mixels joints

Ponn

Banned
Lego The Hobbit Video Game has a decent pre-order

http://www.thebrickfan.com/gamestop-lego-the-hobbit-video-game-pre-order-bonus-revealed/

I do love that torso and it might be a nice alternative for Unexpected Gathering.

EDIT:
I've been back and forth on this set, mainly because I already have Gimli + Frodo + I don't care all too much for elves, but is this worth getting at the discount?

Currently with the number of bricks I own I still think I'm in it more for the Minifigures, but as time goes by and I gain more bricks I'll be getting it for bricks especially when I can get those Mixels joints

For that price absolutely. Still my favorite of the wave 2 sets. You get Elrond and Arwen and some really nice leaf and autumn colored pieces. I still have mine on display, its just serene to look at.

EDIT:

Thanks for the heads up. Sold! I'd like 50% off, but that's a great deal. That's clearance pricing without having to hunt for it!
It would cost about $12 plus shipping costs to get the 2 unique minifigs. If you can't find both figs at same seller, that would be about $16 for 2 minifigs. Set is totally worth it to get minifigs at that price.

That preorder is kinda nice. The torso is very well done...I mean it's not enough for me to preorder but it looks well done.

And yes, go and buy the Council of Elrond, especially at that price. Has a nice selection of parts and minifigs and I love those colored leaves so much...<3

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Well, darn. That power suit looks really awesome. I may end up actually buying this one too, just because there was talk earlier in the thread of how it may not become unavailable. Just to confirm - this is the set, right?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005VPRF2K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I really wanted to order this on LEGO's official site just to get into the VIP program (apparently I bought something on there before I checked that I wanted to be in the VIP program so that didn't count and I missed out on the points - it was for Lord Business' Evil Lair) but the set is not available (or even findable) there.

Well, darn. That power suit looks really awesome. I may end up actually buying this one too, just because there was talk earlier in the thread of how it may not become unavailable. Just to confirm - this is the set, right?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005VPRF2K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I really wanted to order this on LEGO's official site just to get into the VIP program (apparently I bought something on there before I checked that I wanted to be in the VIP program so that didn't count and I missed out on the points - it was for Lord Business' Evil Lair) but the set is not available (or even findable) there.

Yes. The set was released in Dec 2011. That was when I started collecting LEGO again as an adult. The Super Hero sets pulled me in. The demand for that set must have been high for it to still be around this long (2+ years).

According to Brickset, it's no longer available in UK. US should follow soon...

http://brickset.com/sets/6862-2

ghostmind

Saw the LEGO Movie today:

Wow that hit home, with the "LEGO Basement". Hope I never get that way.

My son declared it his favorite movie of all time.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Yes. The set was released in Dec 2011. That was when I started collecting LEGO again as an adult. The Super Hero sets pulled me in. The demand for that set must have been high for it to still be around this long (2+ years).

According to Brickset, it's no longer available in UK. US should follow soon...

http://brickset.com/sets/6862-2

Welp. Ordered. On the official LEGO site with VIP request this time too!

I want to make Sad Uni-Kitty (the one where she sit down like a proper cat and have her tail warp around) but I don't remember what piece they use in the movie. I can't find picture on the net ... do you guys that saw the movie remember which one they use.

Oh on another note, went to the mall with my wife (she need new shoes and cloth for my son so I suggest we go to the mall with Lego store) anyway they have all the new Star Wars sets. I get tempted every time I see new set but was able to just keep my spending down to around $50 for the freebie polybag. I am going to wait for sale on these, beside the original trilogy, I doubt any of the Revenge of the Sith will do all that well. I pick up the micro-fighter (shouldn't these be call Mini and not Micro), they only have one Falcon left.

oCppuiOl.jpg

RobbieNick

I don't have that one, but that is an fantastic suggestion!

For those that don't have it, it is one of the best Super Hero value sets. Get it before it's not available anymore. There is a reason why it's one of the only first wave Super Hero sets still available. If you have kids and they see The LEGO Movie, they will love having Superman (non-movie version) and Wonder Woman.

I have several of that set. O_O

This is the set that got me hooked on Legos. It's awesome.

On another note, people better buy that Haunted House soon.

Speaking of Haunted House and Tower Bridge.
Very hopeful we'll see more of these deals on exclusives. That's a good 10% or higher offer off.

http://toysnbricks.com/walmart-com-free-egift-card-offer-for-lego-exclusives/

Walmart
10214 Tower Bridge (reg.$239.99) &#8211; FREE $40 eGift Card
10228 Haunted House (reg.$179.99) &#8211; FREE $30 eGift Card
10937 Arkham Asylum (reg.$159.99) &#8211; FREE $15 eGift Card

http://toysnbricks.com/target-usa-online-february-2014-lego-sale/

Target
38% off &#8211; Lord of the Rings Council of Elrond $18.49 (reg.$29.99)
37.5% off &#8211; Super Heroes Malibu Mansion Attack $24.99 (reg.$39.99)
30% off &#8211; Super Heroes Spider Cycle Chase $13.99 (reg.$19.99)
30% off - Ninjago Earth Driller $13.99 (reg.$19.99)

neonglow

I just finished building the Spider-Trike set. Only get this set for the Electro minifigure. His arms and head are a translucent blue.
The trike is terrible and basically polybag caliber vehicle. The main play feature is tapping the red front piece and launching Spider-Man.

Yeah that Spidey bike is really weak. I might buy the set on a discount but I expect better than that. I guess they reserved the nicely designed small vehicles budget to Friends!

Rootbeer

Banned
Building LEGO at work. Living the dream, guys. I have all 9 of wave 1, brought 3 with me to kill time.

This one came with a little buddy build. Also shown: extra pieces

BTW, neon, was looking at some of your LEGO pics and came across this (non LEGO, actually) -- really jealous :p

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Saw the LEGO Movie yesterday. Good fun!

* Pleasantly surprised at the switch to live action which explained that everything you saw up to then was a story thought up by a kid.
* Batman!
* LOL'd at the Millenium Falcon bit.
* Uni-Kitty was a cute character. I like to imagine that role was supposed to be for a My Little Pony character (would never happen because Hasbro, but I wish that CUUSOO project would've happened).

rallaren

0ON3FBF.jpg

70708 Hive Crawler on my new wall shelves! An amazing build. I have trouble seeing them as bug machines rather than just big tamed bugs though. Makes me want Star Slicer and not to mention Vermin Vaporizer.

Ponn

Banned
Saving all the new superhero sets for march for Martian manhunter.

Rethinking Sea Cow. Alot to spend on a set that doesn't fit in with anything else. Also saving up for universal studios vacation I've put off for a year now.

0ON3FBF.jpg

70708 Hive Crawler on my new wall shelves! An amazing build. I have trouble seeing them as bug machines rather than just big tamed bugs though. Makes me want Star Slicer and not to mention Vermin Vaporizer.

I like thinking it is a tamed giant bug as well. And I love the one badass bug mini fig that comes with the set.

As for the other bugs, Star Slicer looks cool, but was a big disappointment for me. I know others liked it and were not as harsh as I was.

N.Domixis

Banned
I am ordering some lego from someone in Canada, are there any fees I need to worry about when using ebay to purchase items from Canada?

I am ordering some lego from someone in Canada, are there any fees I need to worry about when using ebay to purchase items from Canada?

I am in Canada and regularly buy from US sellers.

The shipping is always more expensive than you'd expect (typically about 30% more than shipping within the US) and you may get hit with duties if it isn't marked as a "gift".

rallaren

I like thinking it is a tamed giant bug as well. And I love the one badass bug mini fig that comes with the set.

As for the other bugs, Star Slicer looks cool, but was a big disappointment for me. I know others liked it and were not as harsh as I was.
I was already prepared for the minifig with the Titan but yes I agree.

I only want SS because it's the second biggest bug and the vehicle looks good.

Ordered Unexpected Gathering and Thunder Wings from shop@home and was supposed to get the Batman Lego Movie poster, but it never made the shipment. Emailed LEGO and they are now sending me a $10 gift card. Pretty great!

Ryuuroden

Rumor going around that we might see the second wave of LEGO Movie sets in March.

That would make more sense than the later dates, should capitalize on the movie early on rather than waiting. If they want to expand on demographic they can't wait till several months later after hype dies down

Is that store any closer to you?

Of course, having a store close-by is a double-edge sword.

Same distance from home as the Natick, MA store, but I wouldn't have to pay tolls. But, I would have to drive through Hartford, which is worse. Unless I go there from work. Then it is only an hour.

The Doop

Another Walmart score...picked up Galaxy Squad Galactic Titan for $49 (reg $99). Funny that it was the same price as Bug Obliterator. I sat there and stared at both boxes for waaaaay too long trying to decide, but piece count ultimately won the battle. Plus I kinda like the color blue more than orange. :)

There was a rather good sale here, with lots of big LotR and GS sets. However, with the inflated prices that still means they're now almost in line with US prices. Only set I considered was Helm's Deep at around $150. I'll probably never see it cheaper than that, but I have Theoden already and I'm way over budget this month anyway.

Now that we're all warmed up from the LEGOGAF contest, time to win some cool prizes. We all know we will get at least one The LEGO Movie set, so get building.

http://www.fbtb.net/2014/02/12/rebrick-hosts-lego-movie-alt-model-building-contest/

"...you can win a &#8220;limited edition gold-colored Emmet statuette, not available in retail and only available though official LEGO competitions&#8221;. The other prizes for first include an exclusive LEGO Movie PR tin containing nine LEGO Minifigures and a LARGE LEGO Movie Set not yet officially revealed, signed by the designer."

The-Special-Logo.jpg

ghostmind

Now that we're all warmed up from the LEGOGAF contest, time to win some cool prizes. We all know we will get at least one The LEGO Movie set, so get building.

http://www.fbtb.net/2014/02/12/rebrick-hosts-lego-movie-alt-model-building-contest/

"...you can win a “limited edition gold-colored Emmet statuette, not available in retail and only available though official LEGO competitions”. The other prizes for first include an exclusive LEGO Movie PR tin containing nine LEGO Minifigures and a LARGE LEGO Movie Set not yet officially revealed, signed by the designer."

The-Special-Logo.jpg

A LARGE LEGO Movie set hmmm? Wonder what that could be...? I would very much like to know who the designer is...

A LARGE LEGO Movie set hmmm? Wonder what that could be...? I would very much like to know who the designer is...

You guys are wearing me down on the Sea Cow set. I'm warming up to it a little. Limited run entices me a bit since if I don't like it it should have a decent resell value. Who knows, if demand is high enough, they may produce some more of the Sea Cow (if initial limited production rumor is true).

I tried to avoid reading articles until I saw the movie. No real spoilers in this one.
I always like seeing early designs of characters.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/09/m...trive-to-blend-familiar-and-strange.html?_r=0

09LEGOS4-articleLarge.jpg

EDIT:

3,863,484 unique Lego bricks were used in the movie.
15,080,330 Lego bricks to recreate the whole movie.

So if the movie was done with real bricks and not CGI, at the rough cost of $0.10 a brick, that's $1.51 million worth of bricks.

I was trying to find out how many bricks were used in the basement setup. Anyone know?

I think this is speculation based on the potential demand along with the item's price point... but it is going to be an exclusive item so by that nature alone it is 'limited' in a sense.
If it is very limited, I will have to get it ASAP. Otherwise I will wait a few months. Trying not to use my credit card.

ghostmind

I did postulate earlier that:

It is possible that they are only doing a limited production run.

However that is pure speculation at this point, but it is based on the size of this set, the parts that are in it (at least the ones I can see from the pictures that we have), the limited appeal, and the price point.

Time will tell...

I did postulate earlier that:

However that is pure speculation at this point, but it is based on the size of this set, the parts that are in it (at least the ones I can see from the pictures that we have), the limited appeal, and the price point.

Time will tell...

I made sure I pointed out it was a rumor in my post (started by Ghostmind :). Granted a lot of rumors here tend to be true thanks to some well informed and very good speculators here.

I tend to concur with Ghostmind that ~$250 among quite a sea of $200+ sets out and coming out this year and the design lends to the idea that is targeted to a smaller than usual audience. My hope is speculators swarm in and raise demand so LEGO produces a more (if indeed they produced a small amount).

I can see your reasoning...well hopefully it isn't too limited a run. That thing is costly and I have to knock down the cost some how!

Don't buy it. That's a huge knockdown in price. Hopefully Target, Walmart, or TRU continues to do their sales workaround by offering gift cards or free sets with them.

Double points should be coming soon too if you can't wait it out.

Don't buy it. That's a huge knockdown in price. Hopefully Target, Walmart, or TRU continues to do their sales workaround by offering gift cards or free sets with them.

Double points should be coming soon too if you can't wait it out.

When it comes to a costly set like that, I will never be in a rush to buy. I can be patient.

Top Bottom