• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Rootbeer

Banned
It seems like Scratchy has a tail in the latest group picture... How does that work usually ?
A piece that goes between the torso and legs ?

In this case, yes:

1799015_10152059248808403_1788424908_o.jpg

I guess it's like this only at the bottom

8481.jpg

I'm not sure though because the plastic looks thinner... maybe it's a new type of legs that has it built-on?

ghostmind

5q2yqjr.jpg

Wow - the molding of the heads on the Simpsons CMFs looks great - very accurate to the show. The accessories are a bit on the rehashed side, with a lot of printed tiles, but the references made on those printed tiles (Grandpa with "Old Man Yells at Cloud" is my favorite) make the generic nature of the accessories more palatable.

I think the most important development in this series though has to be the tail on Scratchy.

kapowza

Ralf's valentine and Maggie's Bobo the Bear are excellent. Milhouse and Chief Wiggum look insane. Bart's skateboard is dissapointing, I hate that giant shitty lego skateboard.

I'm definitely hoping for a Simpsons Series 2 though, get some wackier characters out there.

Speaking of minifigs, Boots in the UK are flogging off the movie bags for £1.50 each at the moment, if you can find them in the bigger shops.

ghostmind

OH MY GOD THIS IS AMAZING.

Apparently this showed up in the Czech Republic. I'm not fully convinced it is legit yet, or if it is some April fools prank that got out early. If it is legit, then is this the May the 4th promo polybag? A bit of an obscure character for that, I think....

That Darth Revan polybag is insane! Has the TC-4 been confirmed as the May 4th promo? If not, then I'm crossing my fingers that this will.

Bjp-59dCYAAftX7.jpg

Easier viewing

5q2yqjr.jpg

Wow - the molding of the heads on the Simpsons CMFs looks great - very accurate to the show. The accessories are a bit on the rehashed side, with a lot of printed tiles, but the references made on those printed tiles (Grandpa with "Old Man Yells at Cloud" is my favorite) make the generic nature of the accessories more palatable.

I think the most important development in this series though has to be the tail on Scratchy.

I may skip the Simpsons House as I'll be more than happy with these minifigs. Waiting for White Fang review on Eurobricks to see the distributions. May be worth buying a box if available for a good price.

Now to decide how many complete sets I want. 2-3 to start.

Flanders is kinda freaky with his bulging eyes/eyeglasses.

Zerojul

Went and grabbed Fire Brigade today in a little store in Paris. The guy was the only one in the whole city (country ?) to have it for less than 200€.
Not only that, but he also gave me a free Jor-El polybag, which I had missed back then (was not into Lego at all at the time of the promotion, last June I think). I love this guy !

Went and grabbed Fire Brigade today in a little store in Paris. The guy was the only one in the whole city (country ?) to have it for less than 200€.
Not only that, but he also gave me a free Jor-El polybag, which I had missed back then (was not into Lego at all at the time of the promotion, last June I think). I love this guy !

That's pretty sweet!

Yeah my first thought was that I can skip the Simpsons house.

Where do you guys usually order the minifig boxes from?

I've only ordered 2 CMF boxes of different series. Both times I ordered from Amazon France to U.S. It was much cheaper than buying them individually after shipping costs.

Kitsuné

since when does a fox need an accent aigu?
Hi LEGO-gaf

I've recently been bitten by the LEGO virus as well, so I thought I'd introduce myself.
LEGO used to be my favorite toy when I was a kid, until I was 12 or so, which was around the time the Star Wars sets started getting released. Now a few months ago I started sorting all my old bricks, and I felt the urge to build something again. One thing led to another, and now 4 months later I've already bought 11 sets. All smaller ones mind you, but I'm afraid the day when I'll buy a big set is creeping closer and closer...

R0OYa4T.jpg

I've been amazed by the difference in quality and building techniques of these new sets compared to those I grew up with. I had to do some research on some things - until a few weeks I had no idea what SNOT was - and I've been in awe of all the new possibilities these things bring. The LEGO Movie dumpster truck was the first set I bought, and while I was building it I couldn't stop being amazed about all the smart techniques I had to use. And all that for what I thought was a simple dumpster truck!

Some of the differences between now and when I was a kid do annoy me though, particularly the small differences in color. I knew about the "new" kinds of grey, but after I bought a few new sets and started using my old bricks to build things I also noticed that todays brown and sand are just a little bit off compared to the older colors. Does anyone know why TLG changed these? I do think that the newer colors are better, and maybe that's enough to justify the change, but I do find it curious.

Anyway, I'm very excited to begin my second journey in the LEGO world, and this thread and community here seems like the perfect place to share this excitement with!

Yesterday I made my first MOC (another word I had to lookup), what do you think? Its only something small, and I'm still exploring all the possibilities, but I thought it was worth sharing. Btw, I can't wait to join a gaf MOC contest!

FWF2bkt.jpg

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Kitsuné;105874478 said:
Hi LEGO-gaf
All smaller ones mind you, but I'm afraid the day when I'll buy a big set is creeping closer and closer...
Embrace that fear.

Great MOC too- wish I was building stuff that good straight out of my dark ages!

Zerojul

Kitsuné;105874478 said:
Very nice, I like it ! And welcome !!!

On the Simpsons CMF subject, the same nice guy who gave me the Jor-El polybag will sell the whole series for 64€, which is 16xMSRP. I think it's pretty cool to be sure to avoid doubles :)

Kitsuné;105874478 said:
Hi LEGO-gaf

I've recently been bitten by the LEGO virus as well, so I thought I'd introduce myself.
LEGO used to be my favorite toy when I was a kid, until I was 12 or so, which was around the time the Star Wars sets started getting released. Now a few months ago I started sorting all my old bricks, and I felt the urge to build something again. One thing led to another, and now 4 months later I've already bought 11 sets. All smaller ones mind you, but I'm afraid the day when I'll buy a big set is creeping closer and closer...

R0OYa4T.jpg

I've been amazed by the difference in quality and building techniques of these new sets compared to those I grew up with. I had to do some research on some things - until a few weeks I had no idea what SNOT was - and I've been in awe of all the new possibilities these things bring. The LEGO Movie dumpster truck was the first set I bought, and while I was building it I couldn't stop being amazed about all the smart techniques I had to use. And all that for what I thought was a simple dumpster truck!

Some of the differences between now and when I was a kid do annoy me though, particularly the small differences in color. I knew about the "new" kinds of grey, but after I bought a few new sets and started using my old bricks to build things I also noticed that todays brown and sand are just a little bit off compared to the older colors. Does anyone know why TLG changed these? I do think that the newer colors are better, and maybe that's enough to justify the change, but I do find it curious.

Anyway, I'm very excited to begin my second journey in the LEGO world, and this thread and community here seems like the perfect place to share this excitement with!

Yesterday I made my first MOC (another word I had to lookup), what do you think? Its only something small, and I'm still exploring all the possibilities, but I thought it was worth sharing. Btw, I can't wait to join a gaf MOC contest!

FWF2bkt.jpg

Welcome to the ABS Abyss. That is a fine looking MOC for a first go around.

mrkgoo

Kitsuné;105874478 said:
Hi LEGO-gaf

R0OYa4T.jpg

FWF2bkt.jpg

Welcome! As a recent addict into the new stuff, I find it pretty amazing how Lego has developed over the years and had a pretty major resurgence.

People are so wrong about how Lego has gotten worse with licensed Themes and 'large specific pieces', or more varied colours.

Lego is cooler than ever and the ideas and building techniques officially employed are just great.

Good moc, btw. I thought it was a real set! Speaking of moc contests....

neonglow

Apparently this showed up in the Czech Republic. I'm not fully convinced it is legit yet, or if it is some April fools prank that got out early. If it is legit, then is this the May the 4th promo polybag? A bit of an obscure character for that, I think....

When's the last time someone tried to pass a custom as the real thing?

Kitsuné

Thanks guys!

I also have a question. Those Mixels look like lots of fun, but I've yet to see them in stores here in Belgium. Does anyone know if or when they are getting released here?

Can any help please. I've just get a Lego hulk in the post and for some reason I've got a funny feeling it could be a custom figure. Does anyone know how to tell the difference between a real one and a fake one? Thank you

Did you ever figure this out? If you are talking about the minifig, the quality seems to be slightly lower than usual minifigs.

By custom do you mean pad printed by someone or do you mean a clone/bootleg version?

Customs that are not pad printed are easy to tell. It's a bit harder to tell with some bootleg versions, but the quality is much lower. Bad printing, lines in the molding, feel of plastic, etc. How about posting a photo?

neonglow

Kitsuné;105889529 said:
Thanks guys!

I also have a question. Those Mixels look like lots of fun, but I've yet to see them in stores here in Belgium. Does anyone know if or when they are getting released here?

Their release is connected to the Mixel cartoon series. I'd check to see when that show will be airing in Belgium.

Zerojul

Kitsuné;105889529 said:
Thanks guys!

I don't know about the physical stores, but I checked the Belgian version of the S@H out of curiosity and mixels are 1€ more expensive than on the french one (4.99€/3.99€). Does this kind of thing happen often ?

Kitsuné;105874478 said:
Hi LEGO-gaf

R0OYa4T.jpg

FWF2bkt.jpg

Welcome to the club. And that MOC is awesome. If that is your first attempt, I cant wait to see how crazy they get when you make more.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I don't know about the physical stores, but I checked the Belgian version of the S@H out of curiosity and mixels are 1€ more expensive than on the french one (4.99€/3.99€). Does this kind of thing happen often ?

Too often. For some reason they price certain items for NL/BE much higher than other countries. For example, Mindstorms EV3 is €400 compared to €350 in DE/FR. Similar thing with the DeLorean set.

Zerojul

Too often. For some reason they price certain items for NL/BE much higher than other countries. For example, Mindstorms EV3 is €400 compared to €350 in DE/FR. Similar thing with the DeLorean set.
Neighboring countries with a similar VAT rate should have the same prices. This is some serious B.S. if you ask me :(

Kitsuné

That's really interesting (if somewhat odd)! Does this happen a lot? I live near the French border - 2 miles to be precise - so it's probably worth it to shop in France instead of in my home country Belgium.

Just over a week until the Danbury, CT store has their grand opening. I am going on Saturday morning to snag the exclusive store set, but am curious as to how early I should try and get there.

Anyone else tried a grand opening before?

Zerojul

Kitsuné;105905702 said:
That's really interesting (if somewhat odd)! Does this happen a lot? I live near the French border - 2 miles to be precise - so it's probably worth it to shop in France instead of in my home country Belgium.
I don't know where you are in Belgium exactly but there's a lego shop in a mall in the French city of Lille (Euralille). Check it out if it's not too far.

robochimp

Just over a week until the Danbury, CT store has their grand opening. I am going on Saturday morning to snag the exclusive store set, but am curious as to how early I should try and get there.

Anyone else tried a grand opening before?

When the store opened here in WI, we went to check it out an hour before opening and the line was huge. There was an employee near the end letting people know that they would get the promo set. A coworker went about 3 hours before open and had a pretty good spot in line.

When the store opened here in WI, we went to check it out an hour before opening and the line was huge. There was an employee near the end letting people know that they would get the promo set. A coworker went about 3 hours before open and had a pretty good spot in line.

Christ. Good to know. A coworker of mine that just got the LEGO bug bad because of me (I took my Bookstore MOC in to show everyone, and it lit a fire in a few people there) wants to go to the opening too, but I dont think he will want to go that early.

robochimp

They were also only letting people in one family or group at a time. So the late comers to the line made up for the time they saved, with the wait to actually get in the store.

We didn't get in line.

They were also only letting people in one family or group at a time. So the late comers to the line made up for the time they saved, with the wait to actually get in the store.

We didn't get in line.

Cool. I just want to get the exclusive set. Right now debating what to buy that day. Simpson's House or Sea Cow? I will get both before the year is over, so no need to suggest that. :)

Kitsuné

I don't know where you are in Belgium exactly but there's a lego shop in a mall in the French city of Lille (Euralille). Check it out if it's not too far.

Ok, cool! I'm from near Kortrijk, which is only 15km from Lille, so I might. Thanks.

Cool. I just want to get the exclusive set. Right now debating what to buy that day. Simpson's House or Sea Cow? I will get both before the year is over, so no need to suggest that. :)

I was initially quite cold on the Simpsons house. I wasn't impressed with the build, and certain elements seemed undercooked. The way the garage attaches to the house is poorly implemented.

...but now that the kids are playing with it I am totally turned around on it. The "completeness" of it as a house is awesome. If you are worried about availability I would expect it to become scarce faster than the (amazing looking in-person) Sea Cow.

Top Bottom