• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Quick! If you could get the Palace Cinema, Pet Shop, or Grand Emporium which would you get?

Edit: Nevermind. Going with the Grand Emporium.

wetwired

Awesome, what are you using for the joints? I cannot tell.

I just spent about 5 minutes trying to find a pic on bricklink but I can't find them, not sure what they're called but they're those 2x2 bricks with technic axle hole through the middle, one with the ball joint and one with the socket joint.

So far this has been the most difficult MOC I've worked on, all the curves are difficult to achieve on all 4 sides and still make stable. Once I've nailed down the torso shape I'll likely have to pull it apart and rebuild it so it's stronger. I've already done the head from ages back (probably over a year ago)

The mouth is just photoshopped on for now to test...

sp1.jpg

I think I'll try and change the hat a bit too and try and get rid of that gap somehow between the head and hat. The most difficult part I reckon will be the arms, maintaining the curves on a smaller scale is gonna be tricky.

That hat is too large and I demand nothing short of perfection from your work!

(Seriously though this is so badass, how tall do you think it'll be when all is said and done?)

Did you ever figure this out? If you are talking about the minifig, the quality seems to be slightly lower than usual minifigs.

By custom do you mean pad printed by someone or do you mean a clone/bootleg version?

Customs that are not pad printed are easy to tell. It's a bit harder to tell with some bootleg versions, but the quality is much lower. Bad printing, lines in the molding, feel of plastic, etc. How about posting a photo?

Thanks for replying. I never worked out one way or another if it's fake. I was looking at custom Hulks on eBay and they look extremely close to the real thing. The only thing that makes me think it's real is a tiny lego print inside the foot. That says 2011 the lego company.

yrQyG4L

Ponn

Banned
It begins...

itbegins.jpg

That's cool...but I kind of want one completely made out of marshmallows for some reason.

Amazon finally has the mixels in stock but they will probably be sold out shortly, they are already down to like 6 in stock on most of them. I ordered the 3 rock ones because I kind of have an idea for a moc that those parts would work well with. Unfortunately Amazon seems to be again marking prices up because they are selling them for $6.99 a Mixel and I thought they were msrp $5. Can't find them anywhere though and I still have some credit there so I think i'm going to go ahead and keep my order.

mrkgoo

I just spent about 5 minutes trying to find a pic on bricklink but I can't find them, not sure what they're called but they're those 2x2 bricks with technic axle hole through the middle, one with the ball joint and one with the socket joint.

So far this has been the most difficult MOC I've worked on, all the curves are difficult to achieve on all 4 sides and still make stable. Once I've nailed down the torso shape I'll likely have to pull it apart and rebuild it so it's stronger. I've already done the head from ages back (probably over a year ago)

The mouth is just photoshopped on for now to test...

sp1.jpg

I think I'll try and change the hat a bit too and try and get rid of that gap somehow between the head and hat. The most difficult part I reckon will be the arms, maintaining the curves on a smaller scale is gonna be tricky.

Nie work! I'm so jealous of you guys who have so many lego pieces you can just build anything from your imagination.

I ahd the plastic Stay Puft toy from back in the day....

My wife wanted to get the Palace Cinema and I thought the Pet Shop would look better with our Parisian Cafe, but the employe recommended the Grand Emporium if I intended on getting all three eventually so I did.

The interior to Grand Emporium is pretty boring (but I do love the escalators), but the exterior is still my favorite looking of the modulars.
Pet Shop and Parisian Restaurant are my favorites for the interiors and building experience though. One day I will bricklink the mighty Green Grocer.

Out of the SImpson CMF I think I only want Itchy & Scratchy since my history with Simpsons is partially tied to stuff outside of the series itself, and those characters fall more into that realm, plus their parts are pretty nice.

Alright, who would be down for a Mixel competition? I am itching for one on here because I am in love with these things and the Brickset contest is producing some awesome results.

Are Mixels available easily for most of you? I know that using the newest sets sometimes adds roadblocks for some of GAF in the contests, so I dont want to do it if it is hard to find product. But at the same time, since it is new it should be in a lot of locations, and with Mixels using the Brickset rules (MAX models using all 3 of one color or one MIX model using a combo of two from different colors) opens up the field a lot.

Would you all be down for one?

neonglow

Alright, who would be down for a Mixel competition? I am itching for one on here because I am in love with these things and the Brickset contest is producing some awesome results.

Are Mixels available easily for most of you? I know that using the newest sets sometimes adds roadblocks for some of GAF in the contests, so I dont want to do it if it is hard to find product. But at the same time, since it is new it should be in a lot of locations, and with Mixels using the Brickset rules (MAX models using all 3 of one color or one MIX model using a combo of two from different colors) opens up the field a lot.

I would be down for another contest. I already own 6 of them.

frogg609

I would definitely be down for one!

WhiteFang's review of the Simpsons CMF series is up.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=91646

Here's the box assortment:

1qGID7o.jpg

I hope this is a permanent change in allowing odd numbers again. Distribution is very good. With the odd numbers this won't have the 30 count box. I wonder if the 30 count boxes did not do well or if having odd numbers is just for the Simpsons CMFs.

If anyone know where I can get a whole box for less than MSRP, let me know. I'm in the U.S.

I wonder what the policy is on employees buying boxes? I absolutely want a set for myself, and I know my cousin and a few friends want some too so I'd just give them out as gifts. Hmm. Guess I'll have to ask.

Zerojul

That will be my first MOC since forever but I would like to try. I will get the whole series 1 next week anyway (along with the sea-cow :)).

sounds good to me.
Havn't actually seen them in shops yet, however I haven't been looking for them either.

What would you expect to be different than regular sets?
I think there's a limit on the number of sets people are allowed to buy, they don't want people (employees or customers) buying a bunch to go resell somewhere. So I don't know if buying an entire box of CMF would exceed that limit or what. But if customers are allowed to order/buy complete boxes I guess it shouldn't be any different for us? Only way to find out is to ask I guess!

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I've got all of the Mixels. My body is ready for a new contest.

Love the return of 3 sets in a CMF box; better be permanent.

theaface

Absolutely. Count me in.

mrkgoo

I'm not sure I can make it for this one - I am out of town for April. But that said, FlixFantatier, is it possible to wrap up the MoC contest #4, and just call the mixel one #5?

And on the topic, why not just make it any 3 models? Why the discrepancy in rules?it would seem it's already an extra challenge to mix colours and themes. I dunno. I usually like to keep everything simple - not sure why people love extra rules.

Rootbeer

Banned
Wow, those minifgs are amazing!

For the first time, I want the entire series.

A lot have this sentiment...

People seem to think that these are going to be easy to find because LEGO will produce a lot to meet the enhanced demand... i'm not yet convinced though.

But at the higher price point... hopefully that will keep them from selling out easily.

Wish I knew when my local LEGO store was getting some boxes in... I want to be first :)

I actually think this is a GREAT series to buy a whole box of... because the long-term trade and/or resale value of them has a good outlook... certainly higher on average than typical CMFs from the numbered series. Even if Simpsons were cancelled tomorrow... it is timeless and isn't going anywhere.

Rootbeer

Banned
Anyone else think that LEGO should pick up the Peanuts license?

I really, really would love a Peanuts CMF series, or at least a few sets :)

With the movie coming it would be fantastic.

CBexh_gang_608.jpg

And on the topic, why not just make it any 3 models? Why the discrepancy in rules?it would seem it's already an extra challenge to mix colours and themes. I dunno. I usually like to keep everything simple - not sure why people love extra rules.

The keeping it just three of one color does make it a bit simpler if you take things apart before trying another MOC. Just dump it all together. If it is any three models, then it is back to a separate pile of bricks per set and deciding which three to use (that is if you have more than three). I know this is on the honor system, but mixing any three seems that it would be easy to sneak in stuff from other ones either on purpose or accidentally.

Would others like it color restricted unless you mix only two, or it is up to three of any of them?

MisterNoisy

I'll play. :) They're hard to find at Target/WM, but I could always just suck it up and pay the TRU tax.

Would others like it color restricted unless you mix only two, or it is up to three of any of them?

Honor system is fine, but I like the idea of limiting to same color, just because I find that limitations breed interesting builds.

Zerojul

The keeping it just three of one color does make it a bit simpler if you take things apart before trying another MOC. Just dump it all together. If it is any three models, then it is back to a separate pile of bricks per set and deciding which three to use (that is if you have more than three). I know this is on the honor system, but mixing any three seems that it would be easy to sneak in stuff from other ones either on purpose or accidentally.

As a beginner I think it would be easier to keep it to one color, but I'm just doing it for fun so I'm ok with anything really :)

iuuk

I don't see them adding Moe if they do a second set, since they don't want to make his tavern and all the beer association. Probably Barney too. :(
I thought so too at first, but considering they did Itchy and Scratchy as well their guidelines are becoming more and more random. It's not like severe cartoon violence is much better than a cartoon beer.

Also; does anyone know if Amazon.fr (or any other European Amazon) still sells complete minifigure boxes? I am considering buying a box of those Simpson Figs, 2 complete sets for myself, the rest for resale.

I thought so too at first, but considering they did Itchy and Scratchy as well their guidelines are becoming more and more random. It's not like severe cartoon violence is much better than a cartoon beer.

Also; does anyone know if Amazon.fr (or any other European Amazon) still sells complete minifigure boxes? I am considering buying a box of those Simpson Figs, 2 complete sets for myself, the rest for resale.

Yes. LEGO is treading a fine line trying to keep with their ideals. One thing to consider is that a cartoon beer still represents beer that is real. Much like they make "guns" now. They make "fantasy" guns that aren't based on real guns. The big exception which is revolvers for western themes. Anyone know LEGO's response to that? An anthropomorphic cat and anthropomorphic mouse being able to survive mutilating each other falls under "fantasy", but their actions definitely can be done in reality. LEGO is definitely treading into the "dark" side. Maybe there is hope for official LEGO Watchmen minifigures. LOL, never gonna happen, but one can hope.

They still sell The Movie CMFs in full boxes :
http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B00GNUXL70/

I guess they will do the same for the Simpsons series too...

I've been very happy with my 2 older series purchases from Amazon FR. Even with shipping, the price was below MSRP.

Oh man, bummer. Looks like they put restrictions on The LEGO Movie CMFs to U.S.
I wanted to check the pricing without VAT and got this. I got the final Star Wars planet series from Amazon FR just a few months ago so no idea how they decide what can be shipped. The seller was Amazon and not a 3rd party.

"Lego Minifigures - 6059270 - Jeu De Construction - Boîte De 60 Sachets - Série M ne peut pas être expédié à l'adresse sélectionnée."

Thanks to my 0 years of French and free internet translators:

"Lego Minifigures - 6059270 - Building Set - Box of 60 Bags - M Series can not be shipped to the selected address."

Thanks to those of you who answered the Mindstorms EV3 questions I had earlier this month. My son and I finished the R3PTAR build and programming for his school's science fair, and had a great time doing it. We're looking forward to breaking it down and trying a different build now.

Zerojul

I've been very happy with my 2 older series purchases from Amazon FR. Even with shipping, the price was below MSRP.

Oh man, bummer. Looks like they put restrictions on The LEGO Movie CMFs to U.S.
I wanted to check the pricing without VAT and got this. I got the final Star Wars planet series from Amazon FR just a few months ago so no idea how they decide what can be shipped. The seller was Amazon and not a 3rd party.

"Lego Minifigures - 6059270 - Jeu De Construction - Boîte De 60 Sachets - Série M ne peut pas être expédié à l'adresse sélectionnée."

Thanks to my 0 years of French and free internet translators:

"Lego Minifigures - 6059270 - Building Set - Box of 60 Bags - M Series can not be shipped to the selected address."

Well that's strange. I've had this message a bunch of times when trying to order from .com or .co.uk or .de Marketplace but never with products sold directly by Amazon...
On the bright side, your french internet translator is absolutely accurate :)

Dr. Manhattan's dingle could be a blue version of Scratchy's tail, only placed in front!
Great idea !

Top Bottom