• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

LaNaranja

My brother is officially on spring break now so I gave him the two Marvel sets I bought (I am saving the Lego Movie one as an easter gift). The HYDRA vehicle and the SHIELD one both look better then I thought they would. The minifigs are all pretty great too.

2618620-penguinvscaptainamerica.jpeg

2618621-spidey_fury_chase_hydra.jpeg

So I'm still a little fuzzy on the timing for things getting discontinued, so I've started reassessing what sets I want sooner rather than later.

I know Grand Emporium won't last beyond this year, probably even sooner from what y'all are saying.

I'm thinking that the Winter Theme from 2013, the fair or whatever it is, will probably be gone pretty soon too?

The VW Bus likely isn't long for this world with rumors of the Mini Cooper coming out mid-May.

After Grand Emporium disappears, Town Hall is next on the chopping block?

What order should I get these in, do you think? Did the VW Beetle stick around for a bit when the Bus replaced it, or was it a pretty quick transition? The only thing that puts me off on the set is that it's not quite to scale with the MiniFigs, so I'd just have this one giant car amid all the other stuff.

I'll probably wind up getting Grand Emporium and the Winter set at the same time, and then stashing the Winter set until Christmas to make a nice little holiday display. But the Bus seems so cool and I'm sure it'll only go up in value... hrmm.

What other sets are supposed to be on the way out? I'm sure Galaxy Squad is gonna be toast pretty soon, nobody seems to give two shits about that theme at all.

ghostmind

What other sets are supposed to be on the way out? I'm sure Galaxy Squad is gonna be toast pretty soon, nobody seems to give two shits about that theme at all.

Galaxy Squad Defence Force... assemble!

pJMUDdN.png

Between myself, Phon and Winnie the Pimp, that makes it at least three shits given about GS.

neonglow

pJMUDdN.png

Between myself, Phon and Winnie the Pimp, that makes it at least three shits given about GS.

I think GS is alright but I think 2 waves was plenty. Ultra Agents looks great and seems to be taking it's place for the sci-fi theme.

I dont think any of the Legolands are

Thats why you cant use/dont get VIP points there

LEGO only owns a small % of the original LEGOLAND in Denmark. They sold all the rest to Merlin.

pJMUDdN.png

Hey I'll be honest here I agree with you. I'm not really crazy about bugs but there are totally some awesome sets in the Galaxy Squad line. It's just that they don't sell. I think in the 3 weeks I've worked for Lego I've restocked maybe 5 sets in total on that section. I'm just waiting for them to go on clearance so I can clean up like a bandit.

Edit: I think it's the bugs. If they had just been aliens or robots it'd be one thing but people hate gross bug stuff. People come in going "My kid loves space" and we go "Galaxy Squad!" and they just buy Star Wars stuff. :\

I'm still SO pissed that I saw the GS poly at Target, LAST ONE, and I didn't buy it. I didn't know then that ploy bags are a Target exclusive thing and now that one is gone forever. :mad:

ghostmind

Hey I'll be honest here I agree with you. I'm not really crazy about bugs but there are totally some awesome sets in the Galaxy Squad line. It's just that they don't sell. I think in the 3 weeks I've worked for Lego I've restocked maybe 5 sets in total on that section. I'm just waiting for them to go on clearance so I can clean up like a bandit.

I'm not surprised - the theme is already OOP for most of the world. I assume North America is just waiting on existing inventories to sell. I'm expecting to see a clearance sale in LEGO stores and S@H soon.

Hopefully we get a great Space theme for next year.

Damn right Galaxy Squad is great!! I just love that pulp, retro Sci Fi feel about it...

On a sidenote: Dat Carnival announcement!!!!! I am almost done watching the show "Carnivale" which turned out to be one of my all time favorite shows already so this will go well with that! Maybe i can recreate some of the scenes in Lego now :))) Can' wait!

mojiimbo

So I'm still a little fuzzy on the timing for things getting discontinued, so I've started reassessing what sets I want sooner rather than later.

I know Grand Emporium won't last beyond this year, probably even sooner from what y'all are saying.

I'm thinking that the Winter Theme from 2013, the fair or whatever it is, will probably be gone pretty soon too?

The VW Bus likely isn't long for this world with rumors of the Mini Cooper coming out mid-May.

After Grand Emporium disappears, Town Hall is next on the chopping block?

What order should I get these in, do you think? Did the VW Beetle stick around for a bit when the Bus replaced it, or was it a pretty quick transition? The only thing that puts me off on the set is that it's not quite to scale with the MiniFigs, so I'd just have this one giant car amid all the other stuff.

I'll probably wind up getting Grand Emporium and the Winter set at the same time, and then stashing the Winter set until Christmas to make a nice little holiday display. But the Bus seems so cool and I'm sure it'll only go up in value... hrmm.

Last year in September when the new winter set came out they also rereleased the previous year's set so I'm going to take my chances and wait until then to pick up the 2013 set.

I've heard that Agents(and the next City batch) might be a May release so I'd think they'd want to dump Galaxy Squad soon. Star Slicer has been at half off on the website for weeks without selling out but all the rest are still full price. :-/

Some stores will stop carrying items with no warning months before they're discontinued and sold out on the website because of limited shelf space. The store here stopped carrying the first wave of LOTR sets and Fire Brigade in the summer but they didn't sell out on the site until around October or November, I think. This isn't so bad unless you have to pay for shipping or if your discount doesn't extend to the site.

Zerojul

pJMUDdN.png

I'm not a fan of the big bugs myself but I'd like to support that line, I think it has some awesome vehicles. I've been considering Swarm Interceptor and Galactic Titan for a while. If only i could find them at a decent price here. The Galaxy Squad theme is not even listed anymore on the french S@H. I think it disappeared alltogether without ever being discounted :(

rallaren

Not that kind of fan of bugs myself either but since I started buying Lego last year the vehicles just looked awesome AND the bugs are not that bad. Not sure what to make of the theme really but I would not mind another wave... or new Space altogether obviously.

The licensed themes got the best of it I guess.

Ponn

Banned

pJMUDdN.png

I really liked the mech. Bug Obliterator was a cool build and i still have Hive Crawler in a box. Not my favorite theme just not very displayable for me. Think the line might have done better with a cartoon like Ninjago.

wetwired

I ended up taking a shot at the bib with bricks, it took less pieces than I thought it would and worked out better than I expected so I think I'll go with it over the cloth.

itbegins7.jpg

Just some minor tweaks to improve poseability and add the face and I think it's all done

Damn right Galaxy Squad is great!! I just love that pulp, retro Sci Fi feel about it...

On a sidenote: Dat Carnival announcement!!!!! I am almost done watching the show "Carnivale" which turned out to be one of my all time favorite shows already so this will go well with that! Maybe i can recreate some of the scenes in Lego now :))) Can' wait!

That show was great. Season 2 ended on a cliffhanger and then it was dropped by HBO. I was not happy.

I ended up taking a shot at the bib with bricks, it took less pieces than I thought it would and worked out better than I expected so I think I'll go with it over the cloth.

itbegins7.jpg

Just some minor tweaks to improve poseability and add the face and I think it's all done

That looks great, no cloth paper or anything else required!

itbegins7.jpg

Love it. Everything is awesome.

That looks great, no cloth paper or anything else required!
Well, stickers for the face. Sadly. But it is the only way to pull it off without printed bricks.

Vyer

itbegins7.jpg

Man that is awesome. Brick bib takes it to another level.

wetwired

Love it. Everything is awesome.

Well, stickers for the face. Sadly. But it is the only way to pull it off without printed bricks.

yeah stickers for the face, can't decide whether to do angry or happy face.

I have my wife to thank for going the brick route she said something akin to "seems like a waste to make it all out of lego and then use cloth for the bib.

Anyway it has probably been the most difficult MOC I've done, those curves were a huge challenge and stability has meant I've rebuilt it about 4 times now to strengthen it. It's pretty rock solid now though. I just need to put some of those ratcheted joints on the feet instead of ball joints as the ball joints tend to move a bit and his feet slide under all the weight.

Fowler

itbegins7.jpg

Just awesome. Incredible job.

Ryuuroden

itbegins7.jpg

I really think you made the right choice going all brick built and you should figure out if your final build is cuusoo legal and post it on there for shits.

On my own note, went to the lego store today and picked up all the mixels as well as some stuff from the wall. The wall was full of airplane and car parts. I was still able to get some stuff I don't have a supply of.

Draxal

itbegins7.jpg

Have you posted a progress thread on eurobricks or somewhere else as well? But yeah the brick built bib look fantastic.

itbegins7.jpg

Being a lego purist for better or worse I'm glad it's a brick bib. Looks great! <3

itbegins7.jpg

Awesome! Do you have a ballpark figure on the number of pieces?

UCS Ghostbusters Stay Puft Marshmallow Man

wetwired

I really think you made the right choice going all brick built and you should figure out if your final build is cuusoo legal and post it on there for shits
It's probabbly too large to get through on cuusoo as is but yeah I plan on putting it on cuusoo anyway, once I take some nice photos and possibly do a cool video, anyone got any ideas what to do for a video?

Have you posted a progress thread on eurobricks or somewhere else as well? But yeah the brick built bib look fantastic.

nah only progress here, I'll post the finished to eurobricks at the same time I post to cuusoo

Awesome! Do you have a ballpark figure on the number of pieces?

UCS Ghostbusters Stay Puft Marshmallow Man

A lot, I'd have to sit down and try and figure it out, I'd estimate at least 1000

neonglow

It's probabbly too large to get through on cuusoo as is but yeah I plan on putting it on cuusoo anyway, once I take some nice photos and possibly do a cool video, anyone got any ideas what to do for a video?

You could film it rampaging through your brick built city and sneak in some shots of your other CUUSOO models in there.

neonglow

I picked up LEGO Creator Twinblade Adventure which is a nice model of an Osprey. It's mostly built the traditional way with a little bit of SNOT. It reminds me of the helicopters and planes I used to make in the 80s.

nah only progress here, I'll post the finished to eurobricks at the same time I post to cuusoo

A lot, I'd have to sit down and try and figure it out, I'd estimate at least 1000
Video idea? It would be tough and time consuming, but try to recreate a scene from the movie in stop motion.

And then have him explode and a deluge of white bricks cover the William Atherton mini fig.

I just returned home from my vacation in Chicago to find my Chinese knock off minifigs sitting on my front porch. I have to put the kids to bed, unpack, and hang out with the wife, so I cannot delve into the package tonight. However, I couldn't help but take a peek. Let me tell you something, this package is glorious. Glorious I tell you! You know the glowing suitcase from Pulp Fiction?! I now belive it was full of these same knock off Chinese minifigs.

I'll take pics and break it down tomorrow (hopefully). But based off a casual look through, everyone should get these. They look fantastic. All of them do. They also came with a little check off minifig sheet. One of them had....wait for it....Fantastic Four. Their version of the Thing would look amazing next to minifig Hulk.

wetwired

Video idea? It would be tough and time consuming, but try to recreate a scene from the movie in stop motion.

And then have him explode and a deluge of white bricks cover the William Atherton mini fig.

yeah I thought that too, too time consuming. Another idea I had was to take the scene from the movie where he's first introduced, Ray talking about his childhood, roasting marshmallows. Then you see stay pufts head bobbing up and down behind a building, maybe superimposing the lego version over that and then do the same over the reveal.

yeah I thought that too, too time consuming. Another idea I had was to take the scene from the movie where he's first introduced, Ray talking about his childhood, roasting marshmallows. Then you see stay pufts head bobbing up and down behind a building, maybe superimposing the lego version over that and then do the same over the reveal.
The Stay Bricked Marshmallow Man

mojiimbo

Anyone in the U.S. looking for Simpsons minifigs should try Wal-Mart first thing tomorrow. Apparently Wal-Mart wasted a spot in the weekly ad advertising the movie CMFs(which are mostly sold out by now) so as a consolation they got Lego to ship most stores a box and let them sell them early this week. On top of that they're going to be discounted to $3 to match the advertised Lego Movie CMFs. Supposedly stores were only allotted a single box so I imagine they'll sell out pretty fast.

Credit goes to r/lego for the heads up.

JZ48eAi.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
Tempted to get my ass up at the crack of dawn and go to wal-mart in that case...

but if stores are already selling them early... there's a chance they may not even be there tomorrow so :( not sure it's worth bothering

And to top it off I don't even live close to any wal-marts... it's wall-to-wall Target here.

Top Bottom