• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

I'm on vacation in Hawaii and stumble upon Silver Mine Shootout for $30 at a Ross my wife is shopping in. So I bought it. Now to figure out how to pack it. I may lose the box.

Now hopefully the LEGO store here maybe has some exclusive Hawaiian LEGO and this vacation will be a great success.
Which Ross did you go to and were there any more LEGO?

The Honolulu LEGO Store just seems overpriced to me and nothing special but curious to hear your impression, as it's the only one I've gone to.

The Honolulu LEGO Store just seems overpriced to me and nothing special but curious to hear your impression, as it's the only one I've gone to.

Sorry but I don't remember which Ross as it was the fifth one of the day. It was the only LEGO there and I was lucky to have found it as I never see LEGO at Ross. And I have yet to get to the LEGO store and I am disheartened to hear it is overpriced. Shouldn't it be MSRP?

I will update after my visit.

So you live in Hawaii then? I knew that Fat Magnum avatar wasn't just for show ;) so jealous :(

On a sidenote: 2 Microfighters down, 2 to still get for me (OT ones anyway)

really like these little guys, i feel like they kinda look like bumpercars in a way lol

xQi55Wk.jpg

whostolethepopsicle.gif

kapowza

like Super Bombad Racing but with the original trilogy and not horrible.

You could make a good merry go round moc with the microfighters, like one of these:

merry-go-round-cars.jpg

Zerojul

I thought Vampire Hearse would look cool parked in front of my Haunted House, so I grabbed it for a decent price on BL (it goes for over 40€ here in Europe) and got it in the mail yesterday. Very nice build with some fun techniques, very nice looking final product. I end up liking it even more than I thought I would.
I like the Monster Fighters line very much, in fact I think it's my favorite non-licensed theme. It's a shame it stopped after the first wave. Does anyone know how it performed saleswise ? Did it flop that bad ?
Edit : It seems I graduated from junior status, yeah !!! :)

The last Bricklink order arrived so I could go pick it up. However, they tried to deliver the PAB order while I was out for two hours, so I can't get it until tomorrow anyway.

wetwired

Another update, he's got a brand new bigger head, I've photoshopped on the bib and face which I'll have to do with stickers or decals. The new head freed up some pieces to do more white on the torso.

itbegins5.jpg

Another update, he's got a brand new bigger head, I've photoshopped on the bib and face which I'll have to do with stickers or decals. The new head freed up some pieces to do more white on the torso.

itbegins5.jpg
Looks awesome. You should do a proton pack damaged version next. Or an angry face that you can rotate.

itbegins5.jpg

Looking better each time. Your feet are missing from the photo.

Fowler

itbegins5.jpg

Your last head was good. This one is better!

ghostmind

Ummmm...props for the initiative and entrepreneurship, but is there really a demand for this? Shipping is costly. Neverminding the costs, I'm very OCD about my sorting and bricks to let someone else do it.

http://brick-sort.com/

slideshow_1.jpg

The only thing that is attractive about this at all is the cleaning service. Otherwise, isn't part of the fun of LEGO sorting out your collection?

(well, sometimes it doesn't seem fun, but we do that to ourselves)

Zerojul

It's getting better and better. Love the new head :)

theaface

For any UK collectors who also shop at Tesco, they're running an offer at the moment where you get an extra 1,000 Clubcard points when you spend £60 on Lego. Offer runs til the 16th. Seems like a decent deal to me.

That sorting service is basically for the uber lazy people. Well I'm uber lazy but I go the easy way when it comes to sorting loose bricks, everything by color!

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
The only thing that is attractive about this at all is the cleaning service. Otherwise, isn't part of the fun of LEGO sorting out your collection?

(well, sometimes it doesn't seem fun, but we do that to ourselves)
It's a burden, but sometimes it can be therapeutic- there is a certain happiness to turning over and digging through piles of bricks. I usually find pieces i'd forgotten about too :)

Other than the cleaning- no interest in the model.

It's a burden, but sometimes it can be therapeutic- there is a certain happiness to turning over and digging through piles of bricks. I usually find pieces i'd forgotten about too :)

Other than the cleaning- no interest in the model.
Can't you just toss a bunch of bricks in a pillowcase or a mesh bag and run a quick dishwasher cycle?

Picked up some Mixels and the hobbit 2 movie with Legoland today

Michaels has some nice scrapbook plastic cases for $3 that are great for storing baseplates or anything really. Might go back n grab more if I like em

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Can't you just toss a bunch of bricks in a pillowcase or a mesh bag and run a quick dishwasher cycle?
I've done that for bulk buys and second hand collections ive bought.

I dont think ive ever washed my own collection. I probably should though at some point.

I did tons of research when I decided to try buying used bulk bricks. I just soaked them in soapy water overnight and it worked great. I could see and feel the difference. I also used a sanitizing solution afterwards. Some put it in a pillow case and in the washing machine. I wouldn't do it as I would worry about scuff and scratch marks.

I'm OCD and after buying used bulk bricks once, I haven't again. Nothing wrong with the bricks, but it just bothers my OCD that there are some scratched and scuff marks on used bricks. I only buy used now if it's for a OOP complete set.

A couple of Bricklink orders came in so can get building soon I hope. Annoyingly my order with the baseplates has been delayed.

The bag on top is my first "big" order from Pick a Brick online, 643 parts. I thought they would be better sorted......

wetwired

I did tons of research when I decided to try buying used bulk bricks. I just soaked them in soapy water overnight and it worked great. I could see and feel the difference. I also used a sanitizing solution afterwards. Some put it in a pillow case and in the washing machine. I wouldn't do it as I would worry about scuff and scratch marks.

I'm OCD and after buying used bulk bricks once, I haven't again. Nothing wrong with the bricks, but it just bothers my OCD that there are some scratched and scuff marks on used bricks. I only buy used now if it's for a OOP complete set.

Yeah I did the pillow case thing, I wouldn't recommend it, the bricks came out cleaner but more scratched.

I wanna clean my old Legos when I move back to Miami this year. I was going to pillow case it but some detailed pics I've seen of before and after make me only want to soak em.

Any recipes that work best? For painted pieces too?

I was going to revise my thesis paper (I passed my defense yesterday!) starting today but in so burnt out I am taking today and tomorrow off. The paper is not due for another two weeks but I would love to finish it... But not crash and burn in the process... instead Mixels and some Hobbit tonight :D

I wanna clean my old Legos when I move back to Miami this year. I was going to pillow case it but some detailed pics I've seen of before and after make me only want to soak em.

Any recipes that work best? For painted pieces too?

I was going to revise my thesis paper (I passed my defense yesterday!) starting today but in so burnt out I am taking today and tomorrow off. The paper is not due for another two weeks but I would love to finish it... But not crash and burn in the process... instead Mixels and some Hobbit tonight :D

I highly recommend the soaking method. Hmm...looks like I didn't save the links I used.

These are the key points I remember:
- Just use a small amount of mild soap or detergent in water and soak (I did it overnight)
- Use soft toothbrush to remove any grime between the studs or crevices.
- Rinse and let dry. (I used a cheap plastic strainer)
I placed in a towel to remove as much water as possible.​
I then placed them spread out on a towel and used a fan to blow on the pieces​
- Do NOT let dry in the SUN as it can discolor the bricks.
- Do NOT put sticker pieces (I think you wouldn't want to put painted pieces either)​

frogg609

I seem to remember that the new versions of the AT-TE and the Republic Gunship can actually combine together. Is this true? Anyone have any pictures of them like that?

Another soapy soak cleaner chiming in. I had a couple non-Lego army sets out at my parent's house a while ago that somehow got not just filthy dusty, but also like...grimy and moldy too. I got a big dish and filled it with warm, soapy water and just dropped the whole thing in there and let it soak, then about an hour later rinsed it off and sat it on some paper towels. Every once in a while I'd come back and rotate it so all the water leaked out but it looks good as new now.

Sorry but I don't remember which Ross as it was the fifth one of the day. It was the only LEGO there and I was lucky to have found it as I never see LEGO at Ross. And I have yet to get to the LEGO store and I am disheartened to hear it is overpriced. Shouldn't it be MSRP?

I will update after my visit.
What's special about visiting Ross? I like them but don't think I'd make a point of going if I were on vacation. Nordstrom Rack has more consistent quality clothes. They have aloha wear and board shorts if you're looking for specifically Hawaii items.

I haven't gone to LEGO in a while but when I've gone everything I looked at was a bit over MSRP, I assume because it's so expensive to do business at Ala Moana.

So you live in Hawaii then? I knew that Fat Magnum avatar wasn't just for show ;) so jealous :(
It's pretty great if you like the outdoors, although expensive and traffic is bad.

Thx for the cleaning input :) will definitely use it in a few months to clean my old sets.

I just put an amazon order in for all the dol Guldor hobbit sets since I want Azog and more gundabad orcs (best orcs IMHO in lego so far). I don't look forward to all the grey but I know I'll thank myself later.

As much as I am against it still, I may get the lex luthier set when ur hits $15 or under since I need some more thick joints for a mech I'm building.

happypup

Ummmm...props for the initiative and entrepreneurship, but is there really a demand for this? Shipping is costly. Neverminding the costs, I'm very OCD about my sorting and bricks to let someone else do it.

http://brick-sort.com/

slideshow_1.jpg

jeez at 8 dollars per pound it would cost me some 1600 dollars to sort my collection. I could more than double my collection with that type of money.

What's special about visiting Ross? I like them but don't think I'd make a point of going if I were on vacation. Nordstrom Rack has more consistent quality clothes. They have aloha wear and board shorts if you're looking for specifically Hawaii items.

I haven't gone to LEGO in a while but when I've gone everything I looked at was a bit over MSRP, I assume because it's so expensive to do business at Ala Moana.

It's pretty great if you like the outdoors, although expensive and traffic is bad.

We don't have Ross in Canada so my wife loves shopping for clothes there and TJ Maxx stores. I hate it. So you can imagine how happy I was when I stumbled upon the LEGO.

As well, made it to the LEGO shop today. Prices were what I thought they should be. I bought Cloud Cuckoo Land for $21 instead of the $26 I would in Canada. The best part is, the gal helping me pulled two Mini VW polybags out of the back and sold them to me for 3 bucks each. They go for $50 on Amazon.ca. super pleased about that.

I asked if they had any Martian Manhunters left and she said not in store. Bummer.

Great success though. Surprised the only Hawaiian exclusive they carry is a minifig key chain of a dude with an I Love Hawaii shirt on. I did not buy it.

Oh and we hit the Rack today as well. Yay.

Thx for the cleaning input :) will definitely use it in a few months to clean my old sets.

I just put an amazon order in for all the dol Guldor hobbit sets since I want Azog and more gundabad orcs (best orcs IMHO in lego so far). I don't look forward to all the grey but I know I'll thank myself later.

As much as I am against it still, I may get the lex luthier set when ur hits $15 or under since I need some more thick joints for a mech I'm building.
Lex is about 15 at target this week with cartwheel and redcard discount.

wetwired

Parts arrived so he finally has arms!

itbegins6.jpg

A few things to tidy up and then it's onto the eye/mouth stickers and bib/tie.

I'm gonna put those ratcheted ball joints on his feet/ankles, he weights about 1.4Kg and needs to be positioned very carefully so he doesn't fall over, his ankles tend to give way and he slips so I'll swap that over too. Apart from that the core is mostly done so if anyone has any suggestions for improvements, now's the time.

Lex is about 15 at target this week with cartwheel and redcard discount.

No red card here and I am in no rush but good to know.

itbegins6.jpg

I'm gonna put those ratcheted ball joints on his feet/ankles, he weights about 1.4Kg and needs to be positioned very carefully so he doesn't fall over, his ankles tend to give way and he slips so I'll swap that over too. Apart from that the core is mostly done so if anyone has any suggestions for improvements, now's the time.

Hotness.

Been wondering how you will do the scarf/neck piece?

itbegins6.jpg

Foot! That's awesome! Can't wait to see final version with the firehouse HQ and ghostbusters.

ghostmind

itbegins6.jpg

That looks great! Can't wait to see it in one of your street environments, or alongside the Ghostbusters firehouse.

Top Bottom