• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Ryuuroden

Let's play nice :)

In Zulithe's defense I totally get sucked up into "new set hype" when something hits the shelves too. Wasn't interested in the XMen set but now that it's in the wild? Added to my Brickset wanted list.

Case in point: I'm flying out for work at 7am on June 1st. Do you know how irrationally stressed I am that I'll somehow never get the Ecto 1? It's unhealthy man!

And I missed out on the rover thinking I would have more time plus god only knows how many polybags. I can totally get his need.

wetwired

I traded some of my Simpsons spares for an army worthy of mordor, I just need to find some black helmets to prevent a few of them dying in the void

CS_Army.jpg

mrkgoo

I traded some of my Simpsons spares for an army worthy of mordor, I just need to find some black helmets to prevent a few of them dying in the void

CS_Army.jpg
Nice!

Seems lika good time to ask - I was looking at some of my old classic space figures...

Firstly, they have the filled in stud on the top, whereas most new minifigs have a hollow stud.

Secondly, I notice there are two styles of helmet. One with dimples on the side (much like Benny in the movie), and one without - the one without that I have (a couple yellow ones), have a much thicker "jaw" piece. So is the dimple-less one always have a thicker "Jaw"? perhaps it's a later design to prevent the breaking that frequently happens there (much like Benny again)?

Would that be right? OR can you get dimpled ones with a thick jaw? Or are they certain colours? MY dimpled thin-jaw is a red one, and my yellow ones are as described.

wetwired

I'm not sure if the dimple has any relevance to the chin thickness, which I'm pretty sure was to prevent breakage. The hole in the top of the minifig is in case a child swallows one and gets it stuck in their windpipe, it allows air to get through and they can breathe.

Ponn

Banned
On the subject of Ecto 1, does anyone in the know yet know if we are looking at a BttF situation or Mars Rover? I wanted to get one for my friend for xmas but I REALLY need Milano. Wondering if id be ok to get mine and Milano and pick his up later.

wetwired

On the subject of Ecto 1, does anyone in the know yet know if we are looking at a BttF situation or Mars Rover? I wanted to get one for my friend for xmas but I REALLY need Milano. Wondering if id be ok to get mine and Milano and pick his up later.

It will likely sell out early but it will be around for a year at the least, I'd imagine it'll be back in stock before xmas

Kyari

I don't think there'll be any sets based on the new game, there will be a new minifig preorder bonus though but there won't be any new moulds used, just existing ones, so perhaps there's a chance of a different wonder woman or an actual green lantern (my hope)

Hopefully it's not "Space Batman"

I don't think the'll make sets based on the game, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the new minifigure designs in next year's sets. They have a year's worth of sets to scramble to fill for DC with the Superman v Batman movie being pushed back a year. Sadly I assume next year will be just as light on DC sets as this year has been :(

sharbhund

Nice!

Seems lika good time to ask - I was looking at some of my old classic space figures...

Firstly, they have the filled in stud on the top, whereas most new minifigs have a hollow stud.

Secondly, I notice there are two styles of helmet. One with dimples on the side (much like Benny in the movie), and one without - the one without that I have (a couple yellow ones), have a much thicker "jaw" piece. So is the dimple-less one always have a thicker "Jaw"? perhaps it's a later design to prevent the breaking that frequently happens there (much like Benny again)?

Would that be right? OR can you get dimpled ones with a thick jaw? Or are they certain colours? MY dimpled thin-jaw is a red one, and my yellow ones are as described.

Jang has a video on the different helmet styles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO4NcEihDCo&feature=youtu.be

mrkgoo

I'm not sure if the dimple has any relevance to the chin thickness, which I'm pretty sure was to prevent breakage. The hole in the top of the minifig is in case a child swallows one and gets it stuck in their windpipe, it allows air to get through and they can breathe.

Yah, makes sense.

Incidentally I did swallow a Lego minifig head when I was little.

Jang has a video on the different helmet styles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO4NcEihDCo&feature=youtu.be

Sweet thanks!

wait wat! I thought I had more time than this to get all the movie sets. It would be rediculous if they are already gone for good. Id be soo mad.
No no, it totally has to do with store inventory limits. Things come and go and rotate due to shelf space - if we had all sets all the time we wouldn't be able to fit things on shelves due to limited space, unlike somewhere like Toys R Us with massive back rooms and retail shelf space. We'll, say, run out of Joker Steamrollers but then get a bunch of Riddler Chases in. Then those sell out but we get Man Bat Attack back in. Then Joker comes back and we have both but we wait for Riddler, etc etc.

And even if it did leave our store, that wouldn't mean that 1) it was gone from all stores or especially 2) that it was gone from S@H. Sometimes we just can't fit everything. Perfect example: the "normal" X-Wing has been OOS at our store for months and months and who knows if we'll ever get it back, but it's been readily available on S@H for weeks.

Rootbeer

Banned
Valley Fair or San Mateo?
Neither :) Work the city, live in east bay, it's easier and more convenient for me to go to the Stoneridge one thanks to BART stopping right by it as well as my place.
I know you are very passionate and want to get things first but sometimes I think you just seems a bit .. well too crazy about getting these LEGO first.
Don't read so much into my comments. I like to share info about what I find in the wild, after replies and such around a comment then it starts to feel more exaggerated than it is.

And to go one step further... rarity *is* a factor. Not so much box sets, but polybags -- which I often post about as well -- are a pain in the ass to find sometimes, doubly so if they have minifigures. Having a toyhunter POV does pay off. It's satisfying to find something and be able to pay retail for it instead if inflated secondhand prices. And fun.

ghostmind

I have given up somewhat on tracking down polybags - instead I'm going to be doing mass orders from Bricklink. It will cost me more, but save me the constant trips to TRU and other stores, which rarely meet with success.

Picked up Lex's Power Armor at Walmart yesterday on sale for $20 CDN.

Put it together today and let my son play with it. Really great build and a great play piece. Though the ankles seem like they could become troublesome in the future. I was impressed that my not quite two year old easily figured out how to play with it. It may be time to introduce action figures.

I may need to take apart the Thunder Wings jet and build the mech to battle alongside Lex.

GAF recommendation comes through again!

IHaveIce

Banned
It seems like it is impossible to get Lex's powersuit and the Avengers sets here in Germany anymore, they go for like the doubled or tripled price at Amazon.
For some reason the Marvel/ Superhero sets aren't that common on the shelves, never saw Hulk's smash lab in a store, have bad feelings for the gotg sets

Neither :) Work the city, live in east bay, it's easier and more convenient for me to go to the Stoneridge one thanks to BART stopping right by it as well as my place.

Don't read so much into my comments. I like to share info about what I find in the wild, after replies and such around a comment then it starts to feel more exaggerated than it is.

And to go one step further... rarity *is* a factor. Not so much box sets, but polybags -- which I often post about as well -- are a pain in the ass to find sometimes, doubly so if they have minifigures. Having a toyhunter POV does pay off. It's satisfying to find something and be able to pay retail for it instead if inflated secondhand prices. And fun.

I didn't mean to be so rude so I hope you didn't take it that I want to be antagonistic. I am just curios why you are so upset about having to wait a few days. I totally understand about the polybag especially if you are in the area with a lot of "resellers". I have seen TRU polybags that disappeared overnight or the Batman Robin that never made it to the floor (that also the case of people asking the clerk to check for stuff in the back and sell them before which as you can see is also a bad thing. Some clerk doesn't know anything about LEGO or date or upcoming promotion and would bring them out to sell and they all ended up with the scalpers and resellers.

As for reviewers, well from my experience when I was heavily invested in that particular toys collecting I became very prominent and then you get to know all the top collectors and sellers. People that do a lot of reviews or are big collectors usually have a lot of connection, I would get first offered from the dealers, from fellow collectors, I would get first offer on stuffs they got in because they know I would buy them.

We have buy/trade thread, too bad it's not very active. We could really help each other out as far as getting polybags.

i know this has been debated to death before but i FINALLY got some storage solution and i want to sort my bricks now so:

Sorting by COLOR is still the best way to go right?

also: what do you guys do with the small parts (like joints, technic parts etc.)? Sort those too or just throw em all together in a container?

i know this has been debated to death before but i FINALLY got some storage solution and i want to sort my bricks now so:

Noooooooo.
Imagine having a big tub of red bricks and looking for that one 1 x 1 red plate in there...
Now imagine you have a tub of 1 x 1 bricks and try finding a red on in there.
Which is easier?
finding colour is easier than finding shape.

For lots of small and misc parts I use the type of boxes one would use to sort and store screws.
organizer_i.jpg

also: what do you guys do with the small parts (like joints, technic parts etc.)? Sort those too or just throw em all together in a container?

I am pretty sure Phon and others recommend sort by type.

wetwired

YES colour sorting all the way here. I used those containers mentioned above and nothing is more frustrating than having twenty of them out and opened when you're building.

Each section is a particular type of piece and I can just pull out the colours I want when I want to work on something. If I was sorting into massive tubs however it would be a different story.

YES colour sorting all the way here. I used those containers mentioned above and nothing is more frustrating than having twenty of them out and opened when you're building.

Each section is a particular type of piece and I can just pull out the colours I want when I want to work on something. If I was sorting into massive tubs however it would be a different story.

ok so what are you using NOW then if not those containers?

Ironmask

Having a limited quantity of pieces, i prefer to sort by type because it is the most efficient way to complete a build. When it is completed, i make a bricklink order with the proper color to obtain omogeneity.

And i too use that kind of suitcase because i don't have a complete room for my hobbies

Ryuuroden

I sort by color and type. Type first and if I have a million of 1 color and just a few of each other color ill make 2 sorts or more. But example would be all the small numbers in 1 container and the many of single color in the other.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I feel like sorting by type is better, because it's easier to find a blue 1x3 brick in a sea of multicoloured 1x3 bricks than it is to find one in a sea of all sorts of different sized blue bricks. But then you'd have a thousand different brick piles, I guess. I don't actually have enough of a collection for it to matter.

Just finished the story for the Lego Marvel game. One of their best yet. So many great characters to use and enough in it to keep you playing for unlocks.

wetwired

all these heathens with their blasphemous sorting!

Anyways, another night on the mech, probably another yet to go with more details, some lights, I want to improve the laser and the top, arms, maybe add some tanks on the bank, tubes etc

CS_Mech_02.jpg

Zerojul

Anyways, another night on the mech, probably another yet to go with more details, some lights, I want to improve the laser and the top, arms, maybe add some tanks on the bank, tubes etc

CS_Mech_02.jpg

This would already be an instant buy for me if it was sold in stores, as is. I love it. Can't wait to see how you will improve on this !

And I missed out on the rover thinking I would have more time plus god only knows how many polybags. I can totally get his need.

Just a friendly reminder that the Rover started appearing on shelves in Canada two weeks ago. I missed it when it launched but it is regularly being stocked at Mastermind (a toy chain) these days. Not sure if that means it went through another production run.

Edit: Looks like it is sold out online (it is still in the stores though). Maybe check back here?
http://www.mastermindtoys.com/LEGO-CUUSOO-NASA-Mars-Science-Laboratory-Curiosity-Rover.aspx

R-User!

I think sorting rare colors that you may not have many of (i.e. maroon red) by type is the way to go.

More specifically:

1. Gather all Dark Red
2. Sort Dark Red by type and/or size.
a:
---1x1 & 1x2 plates
---1x3 and longer plates
---2x2 and longer plates
---3x3 and larger plates
b:
---1x1 and longer tiles
---2x2 and larger tiles
c:
---1x1 bricks (round and square)
---1x2 and longer bricks
---2x2 through 2x4 bricks
---2x5 and longer bricks
d:
---small sized miscleaneous bricks
---large sized miscleaneous bricks

That's already 12 compartments in a briefcase out of either 15 or 20 something compartments in your average case; leaving you room for a few more categories for that specific color. If you have TOO many of one or multiple types for that color remove it and keep it/them in ziploc bags and throw them in a clear shoe box with a label on the front listing the color.

So you end up mostly sorting every type into semi-like groups, and your bulk overstock stays the hell out of your case! :)

But for small little bits or technic parts you could just make a case for technic and a few cases for small parts so that way all your red, yellow, blue, etc 1x1 round plates could just be together in a case/s for "little bits".

Also, if you don't have as many briefcases as you have shoeboxes, then your system has to adjust accordingly. Like using sandwich bags to sort different colors of common bricks so that you can effectively make "compartments" inside of each shoebox.

Who here loves and who here hates sorting?

I both love it and hate it.

Love the end result.
Hate the leg work to get there.
Sorting your LEGO.

Is that a Haiku?^ :/

Rootbeer

Banned
I am just curios why you are so upset about having to wait a few days.
To reiterate a bit, I said it feels a little unfair when an item doesn't have a hard sell date but the store won't sell it (after confirming it was in the back) and you know others are buying it from the same chain. I don't think that's such an unreasonable feeling.

How many people here wouldn't buy a set a few days early if they could do so without much extra effort? Only difference is maybe I'm trying a little harder. I don't think i'm so exceptional.

If it does seem like I am applying too much of a 'collector' mindset, I honestly feel that is more to my benefit. It's not like sets don't sell out fast in the first shipment to many stores. My local LEGO store is constantly selling out of superhero sets and other special items like the Simpsons House and BttF set. Ecto-1 will probably soon be among them.

CS_Mech_02.jpg

Nice. That just shows me that I need a much larger library of pieces.

Lex, and Kai's mech arrived yesterday; I built them -- Lex was good, Kai... not so much -- then took them apart and re-appropriated their pieces to improve my earlier mech... which had to be completely rebuilt because the body sides couldn't work with the new joints. I should be done with them today.

I have given up somewhat on tracking down polybags - instead I'm going to be doing mass orders from Bricklink. It will cost me more, but save me the constant trips to TRU and other stores, which rarely meet with success.

I just order them from Amazon 3rd party sellers at often double MSRP. Usually, I never see the cool stuff out in the wild.

The Ultra Agents sets are now showing up at Toys R Us in the US. The Mission HQ set was sold out at 2 different stores here in Los Angeles.

Available online here: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Ultra-Agents-ByTheme

And a link to the Android version of the Agents app (iOS version coming soon): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lego.ultraagents.ultraagents
You're in LA? Come to the Glendale Galleria store, we have all of the Ultra Agents sets in stock now. :)

Just a friendly reminder that the Rover started appearing on shelves in Canada two weeks ago. I missed it when it launched but it is regularly being stocked at Mastermind (a toy chain) these days. Not sure if that means it went through another production run.

Edit: Looks like it is sold out online (it is still in the stores though). Maybe check back here?
http://www.mastermindtoys.com/LEGO-CUUSOO-NASA-Mars-Science-Laboratory-Curiosity-Rover.aspx

If someone in Canada could get one for me I'd be grateful. I'm in Buffalo so I could meet sometime.

I use similar compartment boxes for technic pieces since I don't use those frequently.

I use the plastic drawer system in combination with ziplock baggies and cheap plastic shoebox like containers. All of them are transparent/opaque to identify what's in them quickly.

Check out this photostream for storage ideas: https://www.flickr.com/groups/legostorage/pool/

You could do this. Seems easy. :) https://www.flickr.com/photos/atkinsar/sets/72157632511440297/

EDIT: Skimmed through the photo stream again.
Drawer solution seems to be the choice storage with clear plastic container boxes coming second (probably because it's cheaper way).
I think drawers are the best because you don't have to unstack and stack constantly to get to the parts, but the drawback is that's the more expensive way.

Zerojul

Wait is this going to be wide retail or Lego store only?

Very cool! Sure hope flashback shredder comes to the US somehow. Where are you?

Got it at Lego store in Paris. They have it in stock since last week and got the "go" from the higher-ups yesterday in the afternoon. It seems to be selling like crazy, which is IMO well-deserved.
I think it's a Lego store exclusive, at least temporarily...

Edit :

OMG.

Noooooooo.
Imagine having a big tub of red bricks and looking for that one 1 x 1 red plate in there...
Now imagine you have a tub of 1 x 1 bricks and try finding a red on in there.
Which is easier?
finding colour is easier than finding shape.

For lots of small and misc parts I use the type of boxes one would use to sort and store screws.
organizer_i.jpg

where's a good and cheap place for getting this or something similar?

Top Bottom