• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

rnVQcJj.jpg

If green later is on the cover then we will definitely be getting a set or two for him.

Also that batman fig does have the dawn of justice cowl. Plus if you watch the trailer there is a draft new space suit/angel suit batman and a cyborg figure. I can't wait.

Kyari

The Lego Batman 3 press release hypes up power rings some. I hope GL is the preorder bonus or something. I love my power suit Lex from Batman 2.

Hey guys,

I used to have a few LEGO sets growing up, but haven't really done anything with LEGOs for years.

My interest has been reignited recently and I'm trying to find a way to start building again, but LEGO prices have definitely skyrocketed since I was a kid.

How do you guys recommend I start getting into this hobby as an adult? Any way I can start out cheaply but still have plenty to build with?

Thanks

There are websites that help you find good sales and clearance prices for new stuff.
My favorite is http://toysnbricks.com/

Check out LEGO's official website. LEGO.com. They have sales on there, but the real deals are when they do clearances which shows up on their deals page.

Amazon has warehouse deals on returned items, but some people find that some of the returned items are not complete. Luckily the few times I've bought from Amazon warehouse, my set was complete.

If you don't mine some harder work and used items, you can often find people selling bulk LEGO at a very inexpensive price. I forget the rule of thumb of what a good price is, but it was a certain dollar amount per pound. The thing with used is if you're OCD like me you would want to wash them. Not too hard to do, but it's a chore.

Finally, if you really want to save money don't follow this thread. You'll end up spending more than you wanted. :) People here often post sales too.

Finally got started on my Classic Space display items, I was gonna start with a ship but I had a brainfart and was inspired to do a little mech first, here's a WIP, still no arms yet, I was thinking an aliens style claw on one arm and a laser made of transparent red dishes on the other

CS_Mech_01.jpg

Oh man, that looks great so far! I'm looking forward to seeing the completed build.

Rootbeer

Banned
Oh look, an episode I set with tons of battle droids. That doesn't spell clearance-bait at all!

It looks like the kind of set that would end up as a retailer exclusive. So I'm guessing that's what it is.

Finally got started on my Classic Space display items, I was gonna start with a ship but I had a brainfart and was inspired to do a little mech first, here's a WIP, still no arms yet, I was thinking an aliens style claw on one arm and a laser made of transparent red dishes on the other

I approve greatly...darnit, you're making me want to buy more old space Lego and pronto!

And that Milano spaceship looks really great, I wasn't thinking about purchasing it before but I want it a lot now.

Rootbeer

Banned
And that Milano spaceship looks really great, I wasn't thinking about purchasing it before but I want it a lot now.
Tried finding it today... TRU has the x-men set but not GotG, what gives? Hope I can snag them at the LEGO store Sun morning (June 1st), along with Ecto-1... That would make for a very fine day indeed... Not to mention plenty of VIP points.

Strange, a local webshop has the Bike Shop & Cafe set already, as well as some of the new Chima stuff, even though it's not on S@H yet. Unfortunately no Spaceship.

mojiimbo

Tried finding it today... TRU has the x-men set but not GotG, what gives?
A lot of the licensed movie stuff like the Iron Man 3, Man of Steel and Lone Ranger sets from last year have really huge, blatant seals that say something like "Do Not Sell Before MM DD, YYYY" on the shipping boxes. I'm guessing the license holder wants to flood the market with ALL the toys/merchandise at the same time.

Rootbeer

Banned
A lot of the licensed movie stuff like the Iron Man 3, Man of Steel and Lone Ranger sets from last year have really huge, blatant seals that say something like "Do Not Sell Before MM DD, YYYY" on the shipping boxes. I'm guessing the license holder wants to flood the market with ALL the toys/merchandise at the same time.

And yet all these youtube reviewers have no problems getting their hands on it... :p Maybe LEGO sent it to all of them? *shrug*

Heads up... the Buy 1 Get 1 40% LEGO sale on amazon i posted about earlier JUST NOW hit slickdeals... so a lot of them could sell out soon, get in if you want in.

And yet all these youtube reviewers have no problems getting their hands on it... :p Maybe LEGO sent it to all of them? *shrug*

Heads up... the Buy 1 Get 1 40% LEGO sale on amazon i posted about earlier JUST NOW hit slickdeals... so a lot of them could sell out soon, get in if you want in.

Lego stores are selling them already. Sometimes we get big boxes that say "DO NOT SELL UNTIL THIS DATE!" but we also have a New Product Log that supersedes that, and if the NPL says to sell on arrival, then we do. It appears to be on a store-by-store basis, but people reviewing them already likely just got them at a Lego store that was already selling them.

Edit: I should note, and this is my own personal conjecture, that the reason the Lego stores can sell them early based on the log is because all of the boxes that are sent out are the same. TRU, Target, Lego all get the same packages, I assume. So we sell based off our launch list, but other stores have to go off what's on the boxes.

Rootbeer

Banned
Anytime I hear a LEGO store is selling something early, mine is never among them. It's irritating to know that they can do so without penalty but won't do it, even when they confirm to me they have it in back.

Some consistency would be nice.

I'm in California, there are lots of reviewers in and around my area, including JANG

Anyway I mentioned TRU because that is the retailer i've seen reported selling these on LEGO news sites.

LTTP, but I just saw the Lego Movie and it was excellent! Still don't think I'll be getting any of the sets, though.

Although that police dropship looks neat...and I'd love to have a Batman fig...

Anytime I hear a LEGO store is selling something early, mine is never among them. It's irritating to know that they can do so without penalty but won't do it, even when they confirm to me they have it in back.

I'm in California, there are lots of reviewers in and around my area, including JANG

Anyway I mentioned TRU because that is the retailer i've seen reported selling these on LEGO news sites.

That IS annoying. The only new set we're 100% not allowed to sell until June 1st is the Ecto 1. Where in Cali are you? Maybe each store or region has a different release list?

Woorloog

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/bsrKLNi.jpg[img]

So the rumors were correct.

Here is the previous one from 2007, that goes for about $400 now.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/1Ltwc4K.jpg[img]

Now about the other store exclusive...[/QUOTE]

The new one looks kind of worse. Simple, less detailed.
Still waiting for a MTT with some 20 droid rack.

ghostmind

riKnAoG.jpg

Really hope that the winter wave has a lot of the new minifigs from the trailer. The new WW looks great, as does Cyborg... and for the love of god give us an easily obtainable Hal Jordan!

Woorloog

Banned
Original UCS was mini fig scale. But it lacked interiors. If they somehow manage to make a mini fig scale UCS Falcon and give it a full interior, that will be the set of forever. No contest.

I know that. Thus, the interiors.
Probably impossible without scaling the thing up. Doesn't the original UCS Falcon have sturdy support structure inside? So with interiors, it probably needs to be scaled up to make space for supports. Or to make more space for minifigs as they're not quite proportioned like a real human.

riKnAoG.jpg

Really hope that the winter wave has a lot of the new minifigs from the trailer. The new WW looks great, as does Cyborg... and for the love of god give us an easily obtainable Hal Jordan!

Need those figures to go with my Martian Manhunter and Flash. They all look great. Fingers crossed.

riKnAoG.jpg

If they make that version of Wonder Woman, that will make the classic version of Wonder Woman in the Superman vs Power Armor Lex set even more valuable. So amazing that the set is still available on LEGO S@H. A testament to it's popularity. Buy it now if you haven't already.

I much prefer the classic Martian Manhunter pictured above. I would love to have that version as well.

Awesome cyborg!

If LEGO does not make a Green Lantern minifig like the one shown...AAAARRRRGH!

Just give me an entire line of Green Lantern sets. Make a series of blind bags of Lantern Corps. If only the movie were good and successful, we would have gotten that.

Experien

One of the workers were building the SPACESHIP and ECTO-1 at the Potomac Mills LEGO in Woodbridge, VA. Only had the base/bottom or ECTO-1 but it was very nice. Was SO tempted to get one of the new mixels or Arctic Base but decided to be good.

What a shame, you now have a mech with a shark for an arm. :)
We've been out of it for weeks and had no clue if it'd ever come back - Lord Business' Evil Lair was OOS for over two months and we actually didn't expect to get any back in ever. So when my coworker said "We got Metalbeard's-" I didn't even let him finish before grabbing it, heh.

Ponn

Banned
So I felt good enough to put together a set today and I decided to finally tackle

And yes I chased my cat around a little bit with it. She did not like it.

So it is done, here is my entire collection of Galaxy Squad

How did this happen?? I swore of this series when it first popped up but, just look! Let this be word of caution to those new to Lego GAF, this is what will happen to you.

Oh, I also go my booty legs from china.

Not bad at all. I didn't get the boxes i've seen them come in but I can't complain about that for $8 bucks and free shipping from China. My Venom has extremely loose legs, he will fall over at any touch or jiggle but I have a real one so thats no biggie. Got it for the Green Arrow and Winter Soldier which are both excellent. Odin's not bad either.

I know you are very passionate and want to get things first but sometimes I think you just seems a bit .. well too crazy about getting these LEGO first. They are not limited edition or even hard to find, so I guess my question is why is it so important to get it 3 days before. I remember reading your post about running around looking for those Simpson mini-figs. Are you a reviewer and competing with other contents maker? If so then I can understand perfectly. I have (still do but it's pretty dormant now) toys site that was dedicate to niche Japanese action-figures and it was nice to have items first and put the pictures up for review. I often paid crazy EMS shipping to get them sooner and if that's the case then I perfectly understand.

Each store set their own guideline even if they are chain store like LEGO. The company sometime would dictate what get put out and when but many of the none-date items are up to manager discretion depending on the area. Perhaps they have other stocks they want to move, certain merchandise to rotate or even to prevent hording and scalpers. I don't find it strange that LEGO would leave some store manager discretion when it come to merchandise. Not all set sell well in all area, there are other factor such as demographic make up of the region etc. (Yes I use to be in retail business).

Ryuuroden

We've been out of it for weeks and had no clue if it'd ever come back - Lord Business' Evil Lair was OOS for over two months and we actually didn't expect to get any back in ever. So when my coworker said "We got Metalbeard's-" I didn't even let him finish before grabbing it, heh.

wait wat! I thought I had more time than this to get all the movie sets. It would be rediculous if they are already gone for good. Id be soo mad.

wetwired

I don't think there'll be any sets based on the new game, there will be a new minifig preorder bonus though but there won't be any new moulds used, just existing ones, so perhaps there's a chance of a different wonder woman or an actual green lantern (my hope)

Hopefully it's not "Space Batman"

Ryuuroden

I don't think there'll be any sets based on the new game, there will be a new minifig preorder bonus though but there won't be any new moulds used, just existing ones, so perhaps there's a chance of a different wonder woman or an actual green lantern (my hope)

Hopefully it's not "Space Batman"

I want a Bat Spaceman

I know you are very passionate and want to get things first but sometimes I think you just seems a bit .. well too crazy about getting these LEGO first.

Let's play nice :)

In Zulithe's defense I totally get sucked up into "new set hype" when something hits the shelves too. Wasn't interested in the XMen set but now that it's in the wild? Added to my Brickset wanted list.

Case in point: I'm flying out for work at 7am on June 1st. Do you know how irrationally stressed I am that I'll somehow never get the Ecto 1? It's unhealthy man!

Top Bottom