• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Rootbeer

Banned
Benny's ship is mine... At 20% off, thanks TRU coupon! Man, I really need to make friends with a LEGO store employee.

Still gotta afford both GotG sets, Ecto-1 and the Sentinal before Aug. Arghhhh

Must pace oneself.

I saw the xmen set while at TRU, no GotG though or I'd surely have caved. Xmen can wait though. I sense many discounts in its future... Especially at the inflated price they want for it.

Ponn

Banned
I'm so weak. Went to the mall to get a PSEye, left with that and Lord Vampyre's Hearse. :(

You chose well. I'm so glad the Hearse is getting a much earned second life on LegoGAF. I was surprised when I first got it awhile ago how little attention it was getting. Was fully expecting a "meh" set but it was such a fun build with some neat techniques, awesome looking car for display and fun little gimmick.

Now if we can get a resurgence for Vampyre Castle the cycle will be complete, muhahaha.

Just for fun for Memorial Day, WHEN there is a revival and new wave of Monster Fighters what sets would everyone like to see? For me,

A Blob set - this could be such a fun set if done right.

Invisible Man set - a clear fig with nice little setting, could be a fun cheap set

Bride of Frankenstein - because we need the fig

Jersey Devil - because why the hell not

Camp Lego Lake - This could be a really fun big set with multiple cabins, small lake scene with dock and rowboat.

Rootbeer

Banned
Local LEGO store report: No GotG, no Ecto-1 (hey, a guy can ask, right?) -- still dated "June"

Receiving new stock tomorrow... hopefully replenishing their Sentinels... cause you just never know what sets I'll cave to when I go there on June 1st.

Anyway, back from a long morning visiting my roommate at the hospital (great way to spend Memorial Day, whoohoo!) ... gonna nap now >.<

Via Cammo on Eurobricks:

HrwFSAx.jpg

Groot seems off to me, but the others are perfect. They will be mine, one day.

Rootbeer

Banned
Yeah, Groot is not a good representation... sad really. though at least you can do some posing and actiony stuff with him unlike say, bigfig Hulk. That's not the only advantage either... since Groot is a very plantlike being... you can use his torso/head and build whatever lower body and arms you like... you can make him a lot bigger if you wanted, stuff like that. So the flexibility is nice. I do like the Torso part and the printed vine legs.

Other figs though? Absolutely beautiful. LEGO at the top of their game! Star Lord and Rocket being my favs, but you can't deny the wicked attention to detail on the others, particularly Drax (lego skulls, what's not to love)

Yeah, Groot is not a good representation... sad really. though at least you can do some posing and actiony stuff with him unlike say, bigfig Hulk. That's not the only advantage either... since Groot is a very plantlike being... you can use his torso/head and build whatever lower body and arms you like... you can make him a lot bigger if you wanted, stuff like that. So the flexibility is nice. I do like the Torso part and the printed vine legs.

Other figs though? Absolutely beautiful. LEGO at the top of their game! Star Lord and Rocket being my favs, but you can't deny the wicked attention to detail on the others, particularly Drax (lego skulls, what's not to love)

Assuming the legs aren't stickers. The flexibility is nice.

Cool. It's was one of my first sets and one of the favorites. That huge sticker that was supposed to glow though... shame.
Yeah I didn't put that sticker on there. It looks just fine without it.

Now if we can get a resurgence for Vampyre Castle the cycle will be complete, muhahaha.
The store I got the Hearse at ($40) has the Castle too ($110). I had the thing in my hands and was ready to buy it but I just couldn't pull the trigger yet. They also have two of the Ghost Trains ($90) and the small Mummy set ($15).

I wanted them all but I couldn't bring myself to spend $250 on just 4 sets after how disgustingly spoiled I've become at work. :(

Anyone else going sticker less with Benny's Spaceship? Looking at the set the only ones I want to use are the two on the back fins.

I almost never use stickers. This is because I end up breaking down anything I build and use the pieces to build MOCs.

Via Cammo on Eurobricks:

HrwFSAx.jpg

Minifigs looks great with a few exceptsion. The shoulder pads make Rocket's head very un-reusable. I was looking forward to using the raccoon head on other minifigs. Groot doesn't look good, I guess that's a trade-off to give it more flexibility.

Lohs3n2l.jpg

Construction of Death Star is slow due to missing parts (or incorrect used of parts by me). Also the sticker sheet is a crumble up mess that is not usable due to all the cresses. I try to flatten it with the instruction book but it still looks bad. For $400 set you would think LEGO could have put it in protective sleeve or inside the instruction book. The build is fun but I do notice that some of the techniques are dated. Instruction can be hard to follow at time especially with grey/dark grey and black. I can't imagine the nightmare (or fun) of mixed all the bags.

hjMnurys.jpg

Said sticker sheet. &#128542;

ruxtpin

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/Lohs3n2l.jpg[img]

Construction of Death Star is slow due to missing parts (or incorrect used of parts by me). Also the sticker sheet is a crumble up mess that is not usable due to all the cresses. I try to flatten it with the instruction book but it still looks bad. For $400 set you would think LEGO could have put it in protective sleeve or inside the instruction book. The build is fun but I do notice that some of the techniques are dated. Instruction can be hard to follow at time especially with grey/dark grey and black. I can't imagine the nightmare (or fun) of mixed all the bags.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/hjMnurys.jpg
Said sticker sheet. &#128542;

I've found the Lego group/support is really good about mailing a new sticker sheet if you send them a message via the website. I'd shoot them a picture after they respond to your initial email.

Ponn

Banned
The store I got the Hearse at ($40) has the Castle too ($110). I had the thing in my hands and was ready to buy it but I just couldn't pull the trigger yet. They also have two of the Ghost Trains ($90) and the small Mummy set ($15).

I wanted them all but I couldn't bring myself to spend $250 on just 4 sets after how disgustingly spoiled I've become at work. :(

The Ghost Train hasn't jumped in price but the castle and other sets have already started. The prices aren't going to drop on them, only go up sooooo...nudge nudge

I've found the Lego group/support is really good about mailing a new sticker sheet if you send them a message via the website. I'd shoot them a picture after they respond to your initial email.

I have gotten new sheet from them before, so I know they are good but I really shouldn't have to do that in the first place. I could go on to next bag but it's the 3rd floor build (bag#4 of Box 1) and that would make putting on stickers a pain. Anyway, I just decided to put on the stickers anyway, there are bubbles and creases on some but I think I will get over it since I want to keep building and not wait for the new sheet to arrive. As for missing parts, I substitute it with part on the outer edge (with the same part but wrong color) that I have so when the part arrive I can just replace them. I can't believe I don't have the dark bluish grey 3 studs brick spare lying around. I am sure I have them in some of the set.

This section remind me of the nightmare from my childhood of constructing LEGO with string and pulley parts. My brother and I always messed those up.

7ATHfD7l.jpg

The Ghost Train hasn't jumped in price but the castle and other sets have already started. The prices aren't going to drop on them, only go up sooooo...nudge nudge
I know I know!! I get paid this Friday. I might have to break my rule and not only pay MSRP but go WAY over my monthly limit to secure them... :(

It's a fool's errand though, I'm never going to get the whole collection. Once I get the Castle I'll have all the gems, I don't really care about the smaller sets just the figs. I could BrickLink the Mummy and Werewolf. I'm most torn on the train. It just looks cool and has all those ghosts... *grumble*

Using only the 3 Fire Mixels, I made a Hulk Buster for my Iron Man. I'm pretty happy with the results! The only extra parts I used were 3 clear blue circles for the power source and pulsars.

Suit cockpit open, getting ready for action
NjJJHIt.jpg

Suit locked and loaded, flames and pulsars at maximum
XcQxQSm.jpg

Shot of the back
8culkjX.jpg

The Hulk appears, time to put this puppy to the test
aHTIm7J.jpg

My Fire Mixels resulted in a fire based Hulk Buster, imagine that. We'll have to see what the Electric and Stone based Mixels will produce :)
bVBhcY0.jpg

Using only the 3 Fire Mixels, I made a Hulk Buster for my Iron Man. I'm pretty happy with the results! The only extra parts I used were 3 clear blue circles for the power source and pulsars.

NjJJHIt.jpg

Suit locked and loaded, flames and pulsars at maximum
XcQxQSm.jpg

Shot of the back
8culkjX.jpg

The Hulk appears, time to put this puppy to the test
aHTIm7J.jpg

My Fire Mixels resulted in a fire based Hulk Buster, imagine that. We'll have to see what the Electric and Stone based Mixels will produce :)
bVBhcY0.jpg
Great HULKBUSTER. Let me know how that turns out for Tony. Lol.
It never works out.

bVBhcY0.jpg

I love the armor!

Which seller did you get the gold IM and the Cap sets from?

Yes!

After discovering and re-building my 1970s Classic Space sets two years ago, the Castle was the first large set I built with my kids. Thing is a treasure-trove of awesome play features. It is a fantastic set.

ghostmind

Vampyre Castle was the build I had the most fun with in the entire Monster Fighters theme.

Ghost Train was one of, if not my least favorite.

Vampyre Castle really is a tip top set. It can still be found at TRU, and a few random places here and there. It will disappear soon enough, so get it while you can. It is utterly fantastic. I was late to the party getting it, and I have to thank all those that hyped it so much for so many months.

And then, of course, there is Haunted House.

Caladrius

That MOC I showed a week or so ago is almost done. I just need to do a few small touch-ups. It's not mind-blowing, but I'm pretty proud of it.

My TRU store finally had the series 2 Mixels. Managed to get all but one of them. The Spider-plane-thingy was a promotional gift at my TRU, and the two larger sets were from Target's BOGO sale. The whole stash was 75 USD.

NjJJHIt.jpg

Very nice. I still have trouble with MOC's, so it's mind-blowing to me what can be made with just 150 or so pieces.

NjJJHIt.jpg

Nice work especially with limited pieces.

Everyone keep the Mixel mocs coming.

Pretty soon everyone will succumb to the allure of Mixels. Even if you don't like the actual creatures, they are small parts packs packed with potential and lots of new ball joints.

Hey guys,

I used to have a few LEGO sets growing up, but haven't really done anything with LEGOs for years.

My interest has been reignited recently and I'm trying to find a way to start building again, but LEGO prices have definitely skyrocketed since I was a kid.

How do you guys recommend I start getting into this hobby as an adult? Any way I can start out cheaply but still have plenty to build with?

Thanks

wetwired

Finally got started on my Classic Space display items, I was gonna start with a ship but I had a brainfart and was inspired to do a little mech first, here's a WIP, still no arms yet, I was thinking an aliens style claw on one arm and a laser made of transparent red dishes on the other

CS_Mech_01.jpg

Finally got started on my Classic Space display items, I was gonna start with a ship but I had a brainfart and was inspired to do a little mech first, here's a WIP, still no arms yet, I was thinking an aliens style claw on one arm and a laser made of transparent red dishes on the other

CS_Mech_01.jpg

love the feet!

Caladrius

Wut

Hey guys,

I used to have a few LEGO sets growing up, but haven't really done anything with LEGOs for years.

My interest has been reignited recently and I'm trying to find a way to start building again, but LEGO prices have definitely skyrocketed since I was a kid.

How do you guys recommend I start getting into this hobby as an adult? Any way I can start out cheaply but still have plenty to build with?

Thanks

It's a bit of a tricky question because individual builders have a lot of different personal preferences for what they want to build, but if you're just looking for the fundamentals, the creative buckets (the ones with the studs on top that you're probably familiar with) are a good assortment of basic elements in 6-7 different colors. You're getting about 600 pieces for $30 US/25 BP. After that a mixture of creator sets and Mixels are probably going to be your best bet for pieces that improve playability (like joints and wheels) as well as expanding your reserves of particular colors.

Mixels are only 5 US$ apiece, but you need to buy multiples (and need to know which sets have which joints) to get a good supply of joints. The series one sets are going out of print, so if you see them, grab them.

The creator line has a good variety of sets and colors to them, and rarely exceed 30$, unless you're buying any of the various houses or Modular Buildings.

Thanks. As I was building it started going a bit chicken like so I ran with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky7VuySERVg

You could probably put a bit of support in the back of the foot. Otherwise it's rock-solid.

Hey guys,

Thanks

Buy big sets on clearance. If you buy lots of small sets you generally get less bang for the buck. It also depends on what you want to build. My hook was LotR, but I've since expanded into the modular houses, misc fantasy and a little space stuff.

As long as you don't become a completionist in any series, you should be fine.

Zerojul

CS_Mech_01.jpg
Oh this is gonna be nice. Chicken legs are indeed awesome :)
I still haven't touched the two others. I wonder if the first one is still worth playing now...

Wut

It's a bit of a tricky question because individual builders have a lot of different personal preferences for what they want to build, but if you're just looking for the fundamentals, the creative buckets (the ones with the studs on top that you're probably familiar with) are a good assortment of basic elements in 6-7 different colors. You're getting about 600 pieces for $30 US/25 BP. After that a mixture of creator sets and Mixels are probably going to be your best bet for pieces that improve playability (like joints and wheels) as well as expanding your reserves of particular colors.

Mixels are only 5 US$ apiece, but you need to buy multiples (and need to know which sets have which joints) to get a good supply of joints. The series one sets are going out of print, so if you see them, grab them.

The creator line has a good variety of sets and colors to them, and rarely exceed 30$, unless you're buying any of the various houses or Modular Buildings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky7VuySERVg

You could probably put a bit of support in the back of the foot. Otherwise it's rock-solid.

Buy big sets on clearance. If you buy lots of small sets you generally get less bang for the buck. It also depends on what you want to build. My hook was LotR, but I've since expanded into the modular houses, misc fantasy and a little space stuff.

As long as you don't become a completionist in any series, you should be fine.

Thanks for the advice! I was wondering where the best places to buy clearanced sets are. I've checked amazon and TRU, but they don't really offer much online.

I have seen the Mixels at my local target and was tempted to buy all 9 of the series one when I saw them, but I held off. I might go and see if they still have them this afternoon.

As for what I want to build, I'm definitely enamored with the Sydney Opera House set (the big one) and the Taj Mahal set. Unfortunately, the latter is definitely out of my price range. There are some other cool sets, but I've come to realize that I'm less interested in the minifigs than the actual building/vehicle in the sets.

Ponn

Banned
I know they aren't well liked (I like em) but the Brickshow has the Milano, Milano! MILANO! review up.

Omg, omg i'm hyperventilating. I need this set NAO! Omg look at the print on Drax, he's got freaking lego head skulls in his tattoo hahaha fricking genius.

Top Bottom