• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

The regular Stanley Sortmasters are $10 each at Target. There are similar style ones from different companies at Lowe's and Home Depot as well.

cool. I am moving soon so I will be looking into this.

I am realizing (for the tenth time) alot of my reason I get sets is for figures, and I think after finding a stable job and having a life again...

I think I will pick up the newer penguin + batman small set since I want the Batman head from the set for the scuba face.

being a post graduate with not being in much debt is exciting but also stressful when you are looking for a job :-/

Just saw this posted from LEGO's instagram.

1nJUbyc.jpg

I don't break my sets down, haha!

Must be nice having a mansion to display all those sets. :) I have a decent sized house, but since the wife doesn't think LEGO is suitable decor, I don't have much space to display my LEGO.

Just saw this posted from LEGO's instagram.

75th anniversary? LEGO should make a 75th anniversary minifig set. Have variations on Batman's suit. If they are saving that for more sets, then variations of Batman's rogue gallery (like those from Elseworlds stories).

Anyone in the Oxnard area looking for the GotG and X-Men sets, Oxnard TRU has them.

Also, WalMart has Simpsons Minifigs.

(Driving up to SB to see the folks and thought I'd check some stores out on the way)

Ponn

Banned
what is the red, yellow, purple batman?

It's....complicated.

Batman of Zur-En-Arrh

If you have access watch the episode of Batman Brave and Bold called Batman from Planet X, I think that was the title. It's a pretty good and funny rendition. Though I like Grant Morrisons take of it being a
mental fail safe persona Batman created

It's....complicated.

Batman of Zur-En-Arrh

If you have access watch the episode of Batman Brave and Bold called Batman from Planet X, I think that was the title. It's a pretty good and funny rendition. Though I like Grant Morrisons take of it being a
mental fail safe persona Batman created

Whoa! I've read comics for decades and never came across this character. I guess I missed the revival of the character since I haven't read comics much the past several years.

Batman of Zur-En-Arrh would go great with hippy CMF. It's way out there, man.

Ponn

Banned
Whoa! I've read comics for decades and never came across this character. I guess I missed the revival of the character since I haven't read comics much the past several years.

Batman of Zur-En-Arrh would go great with hippy CMF. It's way out there, man.

Well for Grant Morrison's take just read Batman RIP. It's pretty fucking hilarious actually seeing Batman hallucinating talking to a dead rat.

Well for Grant Morrison's take just read Batman RIP. It's pretty fucking hilarious actually seeing Batman hallucinating talking to a dead rat.

Grant Morrison has amazing imagination and original takes on existing material. He does go a bit to far into the weird and bizarre sometimes though. Doom Patrol is a perfect example of how bizarre he can take things.

He's a great writer.

Ah...I didn't know they were united under the "else worlds" banner.

I vividly remember buying Gotham By Gaslight the day it was released. My bike got stolen when I was in the comic store.

My local toy store has the X-Men set! I am speaking at some conferences next week and am heads down finalizing the content. If I finish tonight then tomorrow I am definitely shelling out for the overpriced goodness. Hopefully GotG sets won't be too far behind.

I just built Tentro and he is 100% the best Mixel yet. He's a cool squid guy, LOTS of pose/playability, he has FOUR ball joints (is this the most yet? Usually they come with two?), and two little grabber hand parts I've never seen before for the upper two tentacles. Plus, as a parts pack, all the orange bits are wonderful.

I want an army of them. The Squids will try to take over the land ruled by the Shuff Clan.

I just built Tentro and he is 100% the best Mixel yet. He's a cool squid guy, LOTS of pose/playability, he has FOUR ball joints (is this the most yet? Usually they come with two?), and two little grabber hand parts I've never seen before for the upper two tentacles. Plus, as a parts pack, all the orange bits are wonderful.

I want an army of them. The Squids will try to take over the land ruled by the Shuff Clan.

And your monthly LEGO budget drowns into the deep abyss. :)

I'm holding out for June 1st to grab Mixels Series 2 so I can get the balloon cart.

I picked up all three Flexer Mixels last week. They're my favorites so far, way better than any of the first wave Mixels.

And your monthly LEGO budget drowns into the deep abyss. :)

I'm holding out for June 1st to grab Mixels Series 2 so I can get the balloon cart.

Mixels don't really make any kind of impact on my budget 'cause as long as I buy from work, I get 'em for $2.50 each :3

I do need to act quickly with Shuff though since we're likely not gonna get anymore in and I'm far, far too spoiled to pay full price on them :(

mrkgoo

My favourite from first series, Vulk came with 4-ball joints, and a nixel, and pose able fingers and mouth.

My favourite from first series, Vulk came with 4-ball joints, and a nixel, and pose able fingers and mouth.

Shit. Yeah, there go all my VIP points this weekend. A LEGO store across the street from work will be dangerous. Of course, in rough times, I am thankful for the accumulated VIP stuff. All series 2 Mixels shall be mine this weekend when I work again.

I wanna get like 5 of the squid Mixels and just use all the joints for one and make one with huuuge tentacles @__@

Edit: Wait, shit! The bricks with the ball part of the joints are wide parts, not the long parts like the bricks with the hitch. Damn! There goes my dream of a mega squid. I'd have to get the Chima Legends Lion or Wolf to get the 9 joint combo pieces. Blergh!

Picked up the Wolf Legend Beast while I was at the store this morning; used it to make another mech and finished some others as well:

Before:
a11_zps0e19c7af.jpg

After:
a10_zpsb236d6fb.jpg

Close-ups:
a9_zpse643d228.jpg

a8_zps4818680c.jpg

a6_zps31394f6c.jpg

a7_zpsa7e0df22.jpg

a5_zps103edb7e.jpg

a4_zpsfdc50902.jpg

a3_zps8445dd50.jpg

a2_zpsf705df8c.jpg

a1_zps8282631b.jpg

That'll probably be it for a while, unless I can pick up either the Gray & Yellow, or Blue & Orange mixels next month.

Grant Morrison has amazing imagination and original takes on existing material. He does go a bit to far into the weird and bizarre sometimes though. Doom Patrol is a perfect example of how bizarre he can take things.

He's a great writer.

The fact that Grant Morrison somehow logically tied in what I thought was a throwaway Riddler storyline back in the 90s to an event 20 years later still blows my mind.

Zerojul

Team Flexers, reporting in.
This. #TeamFlexers #OrangeIsBetter #VivaLaMustache

To confirm the Ecto-1 is available in the Leeds store for £45. I've not bought it yet as I want to see what next month's free minifig is.
I think the freebie for next month is the same Balloon Cart polybag you got with the Fairground Mixer, for the purchase of over 55€/$75.

Picked up the Wolf Legend Beast while I was at the store this morning; used it to make another mech and finished some others as well:

That'll probably be it for a while, unless I can pick up either the Gray & Yellow, or Blue & Orange mixels next month.
Cool ! Really like the little green guy :)

Who here loves and who here hates sorting?

I both love it and hate it.

Love the end result.
Hate the leg work to get there.
Sorting your LEGO.

Is that a Haiku?^ :/

I find sorting relaxing, but it's finding the time that makes it an troublesome. Also, sorting takes time away from building. :)

Bat- Now you see why I only work in black. You look very spiffy.

Iron - Blame that on Lego, I had to get this suit from China.

I got the knockoff and they looks really good. Too good, kind of worrisome.

The knockoff quality has definitely gone up from some of the ones I saw a year ago. The tell tale signs are the print quality and the tolerances. Print quality probably varies. Some Ninjago knockoffs I got last year had the face prints way off center on some. The heads on my Iron Man knockoffs are very tight with the helmet. Also, there's a "sharp" edge to the hands and they are also very tight making it hard to rotate them.

Still, for the price, they are good enough for the kids. They are also good enough for minifigs LEGO hasn't or won't ever make and if the aftermarket price is crazy high. I still prefer LEGO minifigs, but the gap is closing in the price/quality ration.

Ironmask

The knockoff quality has definitely gone up from some of the ones I saw a year ago. The tell tale signs are the print quality and the tolerances. Print quality probably varies. Some Ninjago knockoffs I got last year had the face prints way off center on some. The heads on my Iron Man knockoffs are very tight with the helmet. Also, there's a "sharp" edge to the hands and they are also very tight making it hard to rotate them.

Still, for the price, they are good enough for the kids. They are also good enough for minifigs LEGO hasn't or won't ever make and if the aftermarket price is crazy high. I still prefer LEGO minifigs, but the gap is closing in the price/quality ration.

YouTube user Digger318 puts reviews of the knock offs as soon as they're out. When he does a review he lines up 4 minifigs of the same kind and shows wich production error you can stumble into since the producer sells whatever the machine outputs despite of final quality.

Also the next serie of Decool will have a megafig The Thing, The Punisher and Bullseye. Lego really need to step its game up.

Zerojul

Also the next serie of Decool will have a megafig The Thing, The Punisher and Bullseye. Lego really need to step its game up.

Well that's interesting to say the least. I wonder how Punisher and Bullseye will hold up to their eclipseGRAFX and NACM counterparts...

mrkgoo

YouTube user Digger318 puts reviews of the knock offs as soon as they're out. When he does a review he lines up 4 minifigs of the same kind and shows wich production error you can stumble into since the producer sells whatever the machine outputs despite of final quality.

The "game" is probably a lot harder when you actually have to follow rules and licensing and such.

It's likely not so straightforward as to go up to the rights holder and giving them a bag of money.

For example, there are multiple license holders for some franchises. How much of a likeness are they allowed, movie only or comic versions? How far does a license extend, to secondary characters? To games and movies?

Are they allowed to sell separate figures or does it have to be a "set" so they don't encroach on the licensers own line of toys?

Licensers probably have to approve designs too.

Been on a bit of a spree while my wife has been visiting her folks back home so recently I have built Phantom, Ghost, Contructo-mech and Spaceship SpaceShip SPACESHIP!

In reverse order;

The Phantom. Nice little ship but odd looking due to the stud-in wings when folded up, it's just ugly. Add to that when it docks with Ghost it unbalances the whole ship. Having said that when the wings are folded down they look nice and reveal what hints at a basic engine or somesuch detail.

Build was fairly basic but the minifigs are nice, especially the driod. I felt with the wings folded down there was something missing, it hinted at an homage to the Imperial Shuttle so I added a couple of parts.

This one will be broken down for parts very soon.

Constructo-mech. I had high hopes for this but then after watching Jang's review was not so sure. In the end I decided I liked the potential enough to give it a try but for the first time in a long time I almost feel like it was a mistake to buy this. If I am totally honest Angry Kitty is the best part of this set.

The legs don't move enough, arms are too short and articulation is wrong and wrecking ball booms are static so not much use.

Fear my short arms and non moving knees!

I can't hide my disappointment with this although it offers a great chance to mod it to greatness that's not something I will tackle. Goes for parts today. With the exception of Angry Kitty.

Kitty Parade.

The Ghost. I like this, it has a certain look which suggests it's not right off the forecourt, like it's been modified due to the different colours, parts salvaged from other ships perhaps?

The dual seat cockpit is a nice touch, to make it possible to put the pilot in the whole domed cockpit slides with a nice little pull but also licks in so feels very secure.

I really looked forward to this set due to the two ships fitting together but have been left with a sour taste. As mentioned above I feel the Phantom spoils the balance of the Ghost so I intend to moc something up to go in the gap, either a storage solution or a dropship. The other way to fix this would be to dock the Phantom cockpit inwards but I don't think I'll go that way.

Which way forward......?

Spaceship Spaceship SPACESHIP! Fantastic, Up there with B-Wing UCS & X-Wing UCS. The build is fairly basic but never gets boring. I've decided to leave the stickers off for now but will probably put them on at a later date.

The wing mechanism is the star of the show and always feels very secure which is just as well as the playability is high on this one. Swooshability too.

My only complaint is that the bottom is left quite open but that is often the way and easy to fox. I'll be making a few changes and post them sometime in the future.

This is staying together for a long time I think.

Rootbeer

Banned
Those new sets are looking swell, Bakkuma371. Phantom and Ghost are eagerly anticipated by me. Really love the shape of it.

21103 The DeLorean is 20% off again.

http://amzn.com/B00DQC2FPM/

It just would not be right to buy the Ecto-1 and not also own the DeLorean! Get both!

wetwired

Another few hours on Kenny's Robot! Robot! ROBOT!

CS_Mech_03.jpg

I think I'm done unless anyone has any suggestions? I've got a week left til the expo and I need to do a ship and some landscape to go with it so I can't dwell too much on it. It's been fun doing something quick (3 nights on this) compared to the Ghostbusters Rooftop which I was gretting really bored with and unhappy with the results.

Zerojul

Been on a bit of a spree while my wife has been visiting her folks back home so recently I have built Phantom, Ghost, Contructo-mech and Spaceship SpaceShip SPACESHIP!

Much thanks for the input. You definitively convinced me to wait for a better price for the constructo-mech. I'm sold on Phantom and Ghost, though.

So the red one is Kenny. Makes sense ;)
Anyway, stunning work. Big improvement on the shoulder laser. I wish I could do something half as good as that :)
Can't wait to see the ship !

Ironmask

The "game" is probably a lot harder when you actually have to follow rules and licensing and such.

It's likely not so straightforward as to go up to the rights holder and giving them a bag of money.

For example, there are multiple license holders for some franchises. How much of a likeness are they allowed, movie only or comic versions? How far does a license extend, to secondary characters? To games and movies?

Are they allowed to sell separate figures or does it have to be a "set" so they don't encroach on the licensers own line of toys?

Licensers probably have to approve designs too.

Your point is valid and i also add that Lego will never produce minifigs of characters with violent/controversial tracts like The Punisher, the Dark Knight's Joker etc...
...but as a consumer, what i don't like is how Lego often treats the Marvel/Dc licenses he has, given the licensing limits:

High prices (i know licenses costs but still..), low pieces count, really toyish vehicles and dumb playsets, strategic placing of "exclusive" minifigs.

Lego Ideas already showed that fans (ok maybe only just us AFOLs) want a complete experience with the sets, we accept high/onest prices, but give us a good building experience, attention to the franchise traits and a good displaiability.

We want sets like Arkham Asylum, Quinjet and the Milano to be the standard not the exception, look at how everyone is crazy about the Ecto-1

mrkgoo

CS_Mech_03.jpg

I think I'm done unless anyone has any suggestions? I've got a week left til the expo and I need to do a ship and some landscape to go with it so I can't dwell too much on it. It's been fun doing something quick (3 nights on this) compared to the Ghostbusters Rooftop which I was gretting really bored with and unhappy with the results.

Amazing!

Your point is valid and i also add that Lego will never produce minifigs of characters with violent/controversial tracts like The Punisher, the Dark Knight's Joker etc...
...but as a consumer, what i don't like is how Lego often treats the Marvel/Dc licenses he has, given the licensing limits:

High prices (i know licenses costs but still..), low pieces count, really toyish vehicles and dumb playsets, strategic placing of "exclusive" minifigs.

Lego Ideas already showed that fans (ok maybe only just us AFOLs) want a complete experience with the sets, we accept high/onest prices, but give us a good building experience, attention to the franchise traits and a good displaiability.

We want sets like Arkham Asylum, Quinjet and the Milano to be the standard not the exception, look at how everyone is crazy about the Ecto-1

Yeah, I understand all that. I was just sayin', ya know? Someone was complimenting the third-party "bootleg" minifigs and challenging Lego to step up to the plate in that regard, which is hardly fair. We don't know the agreements and restrictions Lego has to follow.

But I know, you have all strong and valid points. Again, I was just sayin.

Bootleg companies pay nothing for the license. They pay nothing (generally) for reusing molds, or very little to retrofit existing ones. They pay nothing for quality/health control. They pay less for materials. They don't have to consider play value. They don't have to consider making profitable sets.

Basically, they can do anything they feel there's a demand for. So, no shit they can do more than Lego.

They're also illegal, and you don't know where that money is going to. Bootleg stuff is often tied to organized crime. Just saying.

Top Bottom