• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Bat- Now you see why I only work in black. You look very spiffy.

vt9rMOx.jpg

Iron - Blame that on Lego, I had to get this suit from China.

I got the knockoff and they looks really good. Too good, kind of worrisome.

Where the hell did you get that black iron Man? I've been searching all over for him and cannot find him anywhere!

shadow29

Neo Member
Aw man, I saw this pic and thought they got a bootleg version, but I can see tiny cracks starting to form on mine! wtf, I've never seen that on any of my sets before...Or I'm not looking closely >=\

I talked to a Lego Rep before. They say to report it otherwise the issue will never go away. Very serious about these types of things.

He was pretty disappointed since a number of the people I was with said they saw cracks on cheese and didn't report it. So they do take quality very seriously.

Kryten

Has anyone had issues with minifig hats/head pieces? My son and his Mum finished the newish Kings Castle (70404) set and the king's crown doesn't want to stay in place. Seems like a dumb thing to complain about, but it's not screaming "quality".

Is there even such a thing as Black Suit?

The one in your pic is the Mark 16 "Nightclub" stealth suit. I cannot find a Chinese version anywhere. It must be a custom fan creation.

I have the Midas, Gemini, Bones, and several other rare suits as well as all the normal ones. The Nightclub would be my top armor to add to the collection.

The one in your pic is the Mark 16 "Nightclub" stealth suit. I cannot find a Chinese version anywhere. It must be a custom fan creation.

I have the Midas, Gemini, Bones, and several other rare suits as well as all the normal ones. The Nightclub would be my top armor to add to the collection.

It's a Chinese knockoff. I think it's the Sheng Yuan brand not Decool that makes that one.

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6090704995.html

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JWLM7QI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Started taking apart my bookstore MOC, and I am trying to count the pieces as I take it apart.

When I finished, I estimated the full thing would be between 5000-6000 pieces. (Talk about a large margin of error). So far I only got the roof apart, which is the smallest part of the build. I expected the roof to clock in at about 500 pieces.

It was 613.

I have a feeling the piece count on this thing will be at the higher end of my prediction.

Have you guys seen JANG's Benny's Space Lab MOC? This is INCREDIBLE. Does he ever post instructions to his MOCs? There's probably enough in the video to approximate a build by sight, really impressive IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNWAXC66Ns4

It's a Chinese knockoff. I think it's the Sheng Yuan brand not Decool that makes that one.

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6090704995.html

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JWLM7QI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

FFFfffff my trigger finger is itching...

Beaten by Bentbrick, just as i mentioned in my post he is from Amazon seller Epaytoy.

I also ordered The Green Lantern set but he send me random super heroes instead. After several emails, he said he is going to send replacement.

wetwired

I've seen it around, it was at a local market near me a while back, I wish I'd gotten it actually instead of the one with the grey helmet

wetwired

Started on my Classic Spaceship tonight, here's a WIP pic, going for a somewhat Vic Viper style...

CS_Ship_01.jpg

CS_Ship_02.jpg

Also this is a first for me, a piece completely shattering tonight upon removal from another plate.

wtf.jpg

KemoSabe

why are the chinese copies even legal, in real life and in this forum?
aren´t they the equivalent to pirated videogames?
posting pics of them or saying you bought them is a bannable offense i think.

Patent law can be weird enough that I wouldn't be surprised if making interlocking toy bricks very, very similar to lego can be legally permitted somehow, but the movie character usage could probably make a company a target of legal action if the copyright holder decides to care, yes.

Started on my Classic Spaceship tonight, here's a WIP pic, going for a somewhat Vic Viper style...

CS_Ship_01.jpg

CS_Ship_02.jpg

Also this is a first for me, a piece completely shattering tonight upon removal from another plate.

wtf.jpg

Excellent viper feeling there. Makes me think Arwing too. Looking forward to seeing the whole gang together once your done.

I had a piece break on me yesterday for the first time. I had a stack of Hinge bricks joined together and when I took one off the top of the stack and the part circled below broke off. Very surprised.

Ab1rujd.png

ghostmind

LEGO does not own the patent to interlocking bricks.

Knock-offs and pirated games are very different things. The gaming equivalent would be something like this:

h6AJ8t2.jpg

tuffy

I think they still have a patent on minifigs.

Anyway, the bootlegs that people are interested in are things that Lego themselves don't make, so it's not like pirating games or movies.
Minifigs have been around for quite some time, though. Surely that patent would've expired by now.

But yeah, as I understand it, piracy is basically the exact same thing distributed without the creator's permission; knock-offs are very similar things with some names switched around - like Zynga's software catalog.

Got some more of my Arcade MOC done but at a standstill as I've run out of some bricks I need. I was at least able to build it roughly up to the finished size. Got a few orders coming in hopefully tomorrow or Monday.

Some of this is provisional; 1by6 red bricks on 3rd & 4th floors will be replaced with the same dark grey doors as 1st & 2nd currently have. Sign with the Invader will be lengthened and cover the 1st floor too. Then it's just doors and bricks I need to finish front and walls.

Right side is empty as I am putting a side building on to hold escalators, got ground, 1st and 2nd done so far.

It's so much taller than I thought it was going to be from looking at the MLCad version......

ghostmind

Actually, reading up on it, the LEGO minifig design patent from 1979 is still in effect, and has been successfully defended in court in recent years.

The problem with Chinese knock-offs is that the courts in China generally do not give a damn about international copyright law, so for companies to pursue these knock-off manufacturers is a waste of money and effort at this time. Top Gear did a show about a Chinese knock-off of a BMW X5 - BMW took the manufacturer to court, but the Chinese court disagreed with the claim - despite the car looking identical save for the branding.

mrkgoo

Excellent viper feeling there. Makes me think Arwing too. Looking forward to seeing the whole gang together once your done.

I had a piece break on me yesterday for the first time. I had a stack of Hinge bricks joined together and when I took one off the top of the stack and the part circled below broke off. Very surprised.

Ab1rujd.png

I loved the hinge bricks during the 80s., but they always broke there.

rallaren

The problem with Chinese knock-offs is that the courts in China generally do not give a damn about international copyright law, so for companies to pursue these knock-off manufacturers is a waste of money and effort at this time. Top Gear did a show about a Chinese knock-off of a BMW X5 - BMW took the manufacturer to court, but the Chinese court disagreed with the claim - despite the car looking identical save for the branding.
Found something from 2008 on yt (bad quality).

Part 1/2

As he says - nothing new under the sun.

JANG reviews 21108 Ghostbusters!

http://youtu.be/W_8b_f8ONH8
Could this, just like the De Lorean, have been fitted and sold with a light brick somewhere? It's worth it imo.

Zerojul

Great, it gives a Vic Viper indeed, which is a good thing IMO !

Got some more of my Arcade MOC done but at a standstill as I've run out of some bricks I need. I was at least able to build it roughly up to the finished size. Got a few orders coming in hopefully tomorrow or Monday.
God it's huge !!!! It seems to be about 2~3 times the height of your regular modular. How many pices are there in that building ? Looking really good by the way ;)

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Actually, reading up on it, the LEGO minifig design patent from 1979 is still in effect, and has been successfully defended in court in recent years.

For example, Banbao had to change their minifigures:

Not entirely sure why Banbao had to change, but Sluban continues to be similar (slightly different legs though).

Started taking apart my bookstore MOC, and I am trying to count the pieces as I take it apart.

When I finished, I estimated the full thing would be between 5000-6000 pieces. (Talk about a large margin of error). So far I only got the roof apart, which is the smallest part of the build. I expected the roof to clock in at about 500 pieces.

It was 613.

I have a feeling the piece count on this thing will be at the higher end of my prediction.

Do you ever take photos of you taking MOCs apart so you could reverse the photos to essentially make building instructions?

Yet most of the manufacturing goes to China. I've read recently companies are looking at the true cost of doing business in China. It's not just labor cost, but companies are essentially handing over intellectual property to a country that doesn't care about patents or copyright laws.

JANG also has a review up for 70146 Flying Phoenix Fire Temple

http://youtu.be/uO8k5RrZgOg

I'm pointing this one out specifically for the great mechanical features of this set.

I was iffy on Flying Poenix set until I saw how it transforms. I still don't see the love for the Chima woolly mammoth set except for the cool parts. Well, mammoth also has cool flying vehicle that detaches, but overall that set is very meh to me.

lol - I can see it now - "Fego"

8q6FDhp.jpg

Do you ever take photos of you taking MOCs apart so you could reverse the photos to essentially make building instructions?

I didn't even think of that. I only got the roof apart so far, but the sheer number of photos to take would drive me nuts. I did take enough random photos during building it to remind me of certain techniques to get certain looks to parts though. Other than that, this is a pretty standard modular.

Definitely something to think about later.

I had a contractor come out and bid the cost of relocating a gas pipeline at my house. He was blown away by my Lego collection. The modulars as a giant diorama really impressed him. He asked if he could take pictures to show his co-workers and of course I let him. It was pretty cool!

I had a contractor come out and bid the cost of relocating a gas pipeline at my house. He was blown away by my Lego collection. The modulars as a giant diorama really impressed him. He asked if he could take pictures to show his co-workers and of course I let him. It was pretty cool!

Last year when the fire department came in to check things after a car hit our apartment building, the fireman was in love when he saw Fire Brigade. He took tons of pics of it and wanted to show the rest of the guys at the precinct. Those buildings sure are popular.

Great, it gives a Vic Viper indeed, which is a good thing IMO !

God it's huge !!!! It seems to be about 2~3 times the height of your regular modular. How many pices are there in that building ? Looking really good by the way ;)

Yeah... much bigger than I originally intended. It was due to be 6 bricks high but I had to change each floor to 8 to fit some of the arcade machines.

The basic building sans roof and rooftop sign is 1764 parts, once complete I'll put it all together in MLCad to get a final count and generate instructions for future use (moving in September). That's not counting the side building too......

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you

That's what's known in the biz as "casing the joint."

R-User!

That's what's known in the biz as "casing the joint."

Just watch them try to steal all of someone's LEGO collection... Heh, heh pbssst LOL psshhhahahaha lol.

The joke would be on the thieves lol.

Like, transporting all that LEGO.

LOL :)

Edit: as it tears through Hefty bags leaving a trail of breadcrumbs straight to their hideout! Lol.

Kyari

Aw yeah lego store had Ecto-1 in stock. Still no may 4th give away prize though.... You would think I wouldn't need to buy anymore with that on the horizon but...

Aw yeah lego store had Ecto-1 in stock. Still no may 4th give away prize though.... You would think I wouldn't need to buy anymore with that on the horizon but...

I planned to use all my VIP points to get all the series 2 Mixels, but if they have Ecto-1 in stock that will be tough to pass up. And should still have enough points to get a couple Mixels on top of that.

Top Bottom