• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Lego store in LA. But back when Arctic and Agents came out, we got them ahead of the "official" release and put them out, while other stores in CA didn't have them yet, so I dunno? Unless otherwise instructed to, we put out sets as we get them, so it could have to do with shipping and other stores not getting them in yet.

Yeah.. I need to look into it. I remember seeing Spaceship (3) at Toys R Us way before it was released. I have been wanting the SSD for a while, but the collectors one was 1) too expensive and 2) too damn big.

Katoki

Guess the LEGO gods have spoken. T1 Camper Van from Amazon Warehouse so that one more exo suit can be purchased to make use of those expiring points.

Kind of surreal when an opportunity comes after all the waiting.

Ponn

Banned
Wish I could afford to buy like 3 copies of every lotr set I don't have yet, including out-of-print ones :(

Guess it's time to consider building my own fell beast.

I've been kinda working on one using some Mixel parts and some bat wings from various Batman vehicles. I really want the tail and neck to be long and slinky though.

Ryuuroden

Mmmm yeah I'll totally be getting any special mold sets from now on. Even if I am not completely interested in them I will if I can find them discounted because they seem to have a great resale value and yeah I usually can find uses for special molds. I was planning on all the Hobbit and LoTR sets anyways. I don't own a first edition LoTR trilogy set (1954), all the movies, played the MMO for 5+ years because I didn't love Tolkien world. (well they arn't my books yet, it's my dads still and they may end up being sold anyways in estate sales when the time comes because I am not the only family member interested in them.)

wetwired

Started working on turning Haunted house into a modular. This might be a long and extensive project and if I can't get it to work I might just turn it into a Green Grocer. We will see how it goes.

Can't figure out how to share my images from Flickr now. Stupid site. ill update some time later.

I tried to convert it once and gave up. I just found that style of building needs the space on either side to look good. It gets lost when butted up against other buildings

Nice article about the Exo-suit reveal.

I love all the subtle clues they put out that were overlooked. A lot of passion was put into the Exo-suit release. Older AFOLs (like myself) have a tremendous amount of love for Classic Space.

http://www.newelementary.com/2014/07/exo-suit-tease-and-reveal.html

LEGO_21109_Exo-Suit_set.jpg

ghostmind

More CITY 2015 rumored sets:

60081 Tow Truck
60082 [Great Vehicle]
60083 Snowblower
60084 [Great Vehicle]
60085 [Great Vehicle]
60088 Fire Starter Kit

60072 Beginner's Demolition
60073 Truck breakdown
60074 Bulldozer
60075 Excavator and Truck
60076 Demolition

Again, these are translations, so the exact names may be off.

Looks like Construction subtheme is making a return.

Lego store in LA. But back when Arctic and Agents came out, we got them ahead of the "official" release and put them out, while other stores in CA didn't have them yet, so I dunno? Unless otherwise instructed to, we put out sets as we get them, so it could have to do with shipping and other stores not getting them in yet.

Which store are you at? I am in LAX right now and was thinking about finding a local LEGO store tomorrow evening after my meetings are done....

Which store are you at? I am in LAX right now and was thinking about finding a local LEGO store tomorrow evening after my meetings are done....

Glendale Galleria, but I won't be working again until Friday. But go check it out! It's a super nice store and as far as I know, we got all the new summer stuff in today.

LaNaranja

I went ahead and picked up The Milano Spaceship Rescue (76021) and Hulk Lab Smash (76018) at ToysRUs since they were buy one get one 40% off. I figured they would make pretty awesome birthday presents for my brother.

Also does anyone know why there are so many sets that are way above MSRP at ToysRUs? The Daily Bugle set was like $67. The TMNT sets also all seemed to be at least $5 too expensive. Hell, even that Hulk set was $52. All of the Guardians of the Galaxy sets were at their correct prices though.

Ainaurdur

Also does anyone know why there are so many sets that are way above MSRP at ToysRUs? The Daily Bugle set was like $67. The TMNT sets also all seemed to be at least $5 too expensive. Hell, even that Hulk set was $52. All of the Guardians of the Galaxy sets were at their correct prices though.

That is just TRU taking advantage of the people who don't know any better or have limited options for buying Lego. They have always done it. And then they can claim to have a sale by lowering the price to the MSRP. Only times I have ever purchased Lego from them is when I know it is cheaper than anywhere else, or if they have a set I cannot find anywhere else. That said, I very rarely buy anything from TRU.

33976cf9b96a1ceaf31f1ee9a37d94be_large.png

Brick-A-Pic is a new project on KickStarter that deserves your support: a website and a fulfillment system to convert photos, logos or other images into a LEGO mosaic kit.

The website will enable your images to be uploaded and tweaked. When you're happy, you can order it and receive instructions and all the parts needed to build it. There's a demo website up and running that will give you an idea of how it will work, and a video on YouTube and the project page at KickStarter that explains more.

There have been a number of similar systems around for years but this one looks very sophisticated and is the first to offer physical bricks as well as instructions since the LEGO mosaic system in 2000.

The goal is $50k in 30 days. Make it happen!
Brickset
Kickstarter

This is pretty neat and looks promising.
Might back :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
hmm. Bricks rather than plates - wouldn't that increase the cost quite a lot? And no baseplate might be annoying - hopefully they'll change that if/when they go live.

also quite expensive - $150 for the medium with 1024 1x1 bricks (or less if there are larger areas of flat colour) is 15c per brick. For 1x1s..

Ravek

Banned
Be proud of me GAF: Just order the ECTO-1 (among other things).

Its going to be for my daughter and I can't wait to build it with her and watch her play with it.

hmm. Bricks rather than plates - wouldn't that increase the cost quite a lot? And no baseplate might be annoying - hopefully they'll change that if/when they go live.

also quite expensive - $150 for the medium with 1024 1x1 bricks (or less if there are larger areas of flat colour) is 15c per brick. For 1x1s..

Yea the prices look to be a deal breaker.

Zerojul

Café Corner finished

I'm on my phone so I can't post pictures here, but what a set! Totally worth collecting, especially if you make it less expensive by going with newer, more common parts.
Great read, thank you.
Can't wait to read your guide on the process of pieceing together a set as I think I'll try to do that pretty soon, and there's never too much advice on that subject.

I found the mad scientist set and the vampire castle for msrp at Walmart. I probably should have resisted as I spent almost as much as the cost of the haunted house. It's tough to leave retired sets on the shelf though.

LEGO had an app that did exactly that minus the fulfillment part. I can't find it anymore in the iTunes store, but I used to have it. There's some other apps out there that do the same thing though.

http://lego.gizmodo.com/5437708/official-iphone-lego-app-converts-reality-into-a-brick-mosaic

I imagine the cost is for fulfillment and overhead of keeping a huge inventory of currently not in production cycle of 1x1 bricks via LEGO pick-a-brick online (which is $0.10 per brick). Plates are the exact same price on LEGO PAB online. Also, bricks are much easy to work with to put in. Plates may be easier to remove when not on the edge using the brick remover though.

For comparison, this is Sean Kenney's pricing: http://www.seankenney.com/artwork/portraits/

Quick search on others doing it:
http://brickworkz.com/how-a-lego-mosaic-is-made.shtml
http://www.brickarts.com/

Idea is cool and simplifies the process, but I'm just quite feeling it for that project. Maybe I just feel I can do it all myself since I'm familiar with LEGO PAB online and Bricklink.

P.S. Found a nice link with a list of LEGO certified professionals.
http://aboutus.lego.com/en-us/lego-group/programs-and-visits/lego-certified-professionals

Café Corner finished

I'm on my phone so I can't post pictures here, but what a set! Totally worth collecting, especially if you make it less expensive by going with newer, more common parts.

Thanks for sharing all your work! I may have to attempt my own. That's the only older modular I care about. I have Fire Brigade and forward (may skip Town Hall as there are way too many I still don't have).

Delighted to learn this morning that I came third in the Bricket Mixels Wave 2 Competition with my Old Father Flex, and I've won an Emmet's Construct-o-Mech! :D

Rest easy, old boy. Your work here is done.

Looking forward to the Construct-o-Mech and Exo-Suit doing battle in the near future!

Congrats! Always cool when a fellow LEGO-GAFfer gets some recognition.

Fowler

Found an awesome little mall in HK that's basically a physical Bricklink: Lots of tiny shops with sets, parts and minifigs everywhere.

I don't have enough space for new sets anymore, so the idea of buying minifigs alone is pretty appealing... I already have a few sets that I bought just for the figs (Weathertop!).

So I figured I'd pick up the rest of the Avengers this way and grab any other figs that caught my eye. My haul!

Bsmj049CYAA9VyG.jpg

I already have Iron Man and Captain America, so the (film) Avengers are complete... or would be, but I forgot to grab Hulk. Damnit.

My girlfriend needed Ron Weasley for her Harry Potter collection -- strangely, we've got a whole bunch of HP sets but apparently none with Ron! Grabbed Harry in dress robes too because he was cheap.

Ainaurdur

just heads up looks like amazon is matching TRU bogo40% sale and alot of sets including most of the new ones and GoTG sets.

Thank you so much!

I just placed two separate orders. One with two Hobbit Mirkwood Elf Army sets at about $21 each. The other with two LotR Pirate Ship Ambush sets about $65 each.

Limited selection of sets compared to the TRU sale, but at least they had a couple that I needed at great prices!

So any chance of the US Lego Stores doing the same promo as Europe for the Mini Cooper, where if you buy the Mini Cooper starting 7/17 you also get the mini polybag version?

If not, I guess I'll hold off until 8/1 to get the Mini Cooper and the Exo-Suit in one fell swoop.

Ravek

Banned
Question:

So I ordered the ECTO-1, the Lex Luthor mech, and a SW battle pack yesterdat on S@H. However, my order has still yet to process. I haven't ordered from LEGO.com in a while. Is this normal? They put a hold on the the money thats in my account but haven't actually taken it.

Question:

So I ordered the ECTO-1, the Lex Luthor mech, and a SW battle pack yesterdat on S@H. However, my order has still yet to process. I haven't ordered from LEGO.com in a while. Is this normal? They put a hold on the the money thats in my account but haven't actually taken it.

It's normal. They take forever to send stuff out.

Top Bottom