• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Mixels are the best thing this year. Granted, I haven't gotten much this year compared to last, but Mixels have delivered and then some. Just a ton of fun, awesome for MOCs, and cheap as hell. It is like a perfect storm.

Was tempted to get the Cantina set or the Rebels Ghost set, but my bday is too close. Gotta have self control sometime. :(

00437F72-7AA4-4D09-B00D-8942952BA9DE_zpsgnmjzq7e.jpg

754454EF-E390-4C27-AECC-777DD28DB2CF_zpszgezklvx.jpg

TripOpt55

I have been out of the LEGO game for a while unfortunately due to not having any room for a LEGO budget, but after watching the movie I have got the itch again, so I have been putting some old sets together for now. My mom found a bunch of my old sets in her attic, so I went and got them and have been messing around with them. Pretty cool because I figured those sets were lost forever.

Lately I have been putting some Life on Mars sets together. They have a pretty cool modular feel where you can mix and match some sections from different sets to make unique other setups. The Excavation Searcher has been the highlight so far, but there is a little three-wheel buggy that I like a lot too. I may write up a few reviews for some of them for fun with pictures. And then my plan is to take all the pieces from the Life on Mars set and make up a MOC or two. Will post some pictures in here if it isn't a disaster!

Admittedly not all the sets have all the pieces. I am missing some here and there. But a few sets have gone together without a problem. Hoping I might be able to piece together the rest with some extras from my other random pieces.

I'll also be going to SDCC. Maybe we'll see each other waiting in line for it. LEGO line management was very poor and I barely got last year's exclusive sets. They better put strict limits of 1 if it's gonna 200 per day again.
If not in the line you can always stop by the Boom! Comics booth when they do the Bee & Puppycat signings and say hello!

But yeah I already told my friend I'm signing with "This better not interfere with any Lego exclusives." Hahaha

R-User!

A useful tray:

These trays I love for many reasons:

1. They're free
2. They nest/stack together
3. You can see any color piece easily.
4. They're low and easy to see over.
5. They're not too big or too small.
6. They're are not made of clackety hard plastic, so when you reach for pieces there's less LEGO "talkback"; IOW, a quieter building experience.

They are the steamer portion of the Healthy Choice steamer frozen dinners. Immediately after cooking the food and dumping out the steamed contents just immediately rinse them off with soap and hot water, and they are grease and stain free* (*except for the tomato based sauce recipes; those I just toss).

Very useful discovery recently and a great reason to eat healthy so you can sit on your butt building LEGO for even more years on this planet. :)

P.S. they're free!

When is your birthday? August 9th here.

I'm August 25th, but my gf and I have a rule...(She has a rule) to TRY not to buy myself anything a month and a half before.

So during these months, I usually buy older toys (action figures) on eBay that I know she can't find in stores to get that toy fix.

Toy addicts, man.

They are the steamer portion of the Healthy Choice steamer frozen dinners. Immediately after cooking the food and dumping out the steamed contents just immediately rinse them off with soap and hot water, and they are grease and stain free* (*except for the tomato based sauce recipes; those I just toss).

Very useful discovery recently and a great reason to eat healthy so you can sit on your butt building LEGO for even more years on this planet. :)

P.S. they're free!
Processed food is not really something I associate with healthy. :p
Good find nevertheless.

Just built Infearno and noticed all the new silver metal bowed pieces have lines down the middle lengthwise on the smooth surfaces. They look like cracks but I pressed on them and it's not broken, at least not yet. The lines are all slightly different and not exactly in the middle, so doesn't look like it's supposed to be there.

All of these pieces have it.

7ScoFoG.jpg

1WVvvOE.jpg

I'm trying to take a photo that shows it clearly but can't get the lighting right. Will try during daylight.
LEGO didn't respond to my inquiry if the pieces are supposed to have these lines, but I got a notice that they shipped replacement pieces. I'll update when i see what these look like.

Rootbeer

Banned
Gonna be so busy playing Destiny this weekend I doubt I'll get around to building them... but thankfully the X-Men set went back in stock on amazon so I snagged it along with the mirkwood army set (sigh... wish I could have found a higher priced set to go with, but it's the only one I needed), 20% off each... I can live with that.

I gave some consideration to getting the LotR ship but... it actually went out of stock as I was adding things to my card and checking out the discounts. o_O

I already have all 3 GotG sets (pretty much committed to buying all future DC & Marvel sets), need to get those build too :)

I'm debating on rather I should give up on collecting Marvel & DC action figures and just focus entirely on LEGO. It's a huge pain in the ass to track down the figures anway, and they are getting ridiculously expensive. $22 per marvel legend now... and that's *if* you can find them for msrp and not marked up online. I managed to collect all of the recent Spider-Man, Cap and GotG waves, already having an impossible time finding the x-men wave at msrp... I don't have time for this crap anymore :p LEGO is plentiful, I don't have to worry about supply issues.

Now debating on rather I should head to the LEGO store tomorrow after I get off work because I called yesterday and they confirmed to me they have all the new SW stuff (yay!)

Xater

Don't worry guys the slipper slope already started with me. Only got this set for the black figures because I of course also ordered some stuff from Minifig.Cat.

Thought about selling the Imperial Guard Guys because I can't think of a need for them but then I realized those hoods work with normal faces. You can actually see the eyes through them. Guss I'll keep them around after all.

Also are those light green pieces from the Mixels Series 3 the same color as the green pieces from the Creator Power Mech? I have been thinking about getting the power mech for some bigger joints and having more of those green pieces would be great.

Last night I stopped by to see my nephew. He was putting together a Lego set... but I have never seen it before. It was an underwater exploration set. It came with like 2 divers and a crazy looking shark. I took a look at the back of the box and it had some other really cool underwater sets... but I cant find these anywhere on the Lego site....

Any idea what they are and where they can be found? Thanks!

Last night I stopped by to see my nephew. He was putting together a Lego set... but I have never seen it before. It was an underwater exploration set. It came with like 2 divers and a crazy looking shark. I took a look at the back of the box and it had some other really cool underwater sets... but I cant find these anywhere on the Lego site....

That's an aqua raiders set.

Zerojul

Maybe this one :
If so, aftermarket only I guess....
Edit : beaten

Rootbeer

Banned
I picked up a few of those 2010 Atlantis sets last year when you could get them at bargain prices. Really glad I did... what an awesome theme. That angler fish would have been a great one to own.

Xater

Also what about those Hero Factory things? On the one hand they seem to have some cool skeletal stuff but it seems like it's largely incompatible with the normal system stuff. So you basically can just MOC with different armor parts of these things.

Also if anyone knows the answer to my question about those green Mixels pieces let me know.

So I'm looking for some advice/assistance on buying parts on bricklink

I'm trying to buy/build the Taj Mahal, but it's really frustrating to buy pieces from all these sellers. I'm finding that many of them have hidden handling fees and charges on top of shipping. One store I visited was going to charge you $0.50 per unique lot if they don't meet a $1.00 per lot average. If I buy 30 different sets of pieces for $20, then I get charged an extra $5.

Then there's always the problem of getting enough for the minimum buy without getting charged ridiculous amounts for shipping

Any suggestions on how to go about this? I priced out all of the parts I need for the set, but didn't realize all these other fees that would be tacked on to the base price of the bricks. At this point, it would probably be cheaper to stalk eBay and hope for a cheaper auction.

Xater

I'm trying to buy/build the Taj Mahal, but it's really frustrating to buy pieces from all these sellers. I'm finding that many of them have hidden handling fees and charges on top of shipping. One store I visited was going to charge you $0.50 per unique lot if they don't meet a $1.00 per lot average. If I buy 30 different sets of pieces for $20, then I get charged an extra $5.

Then there's always the problem of getting enough for the minimum buy without getting charged ridiculous amounts for shipping

Any suggestions on how to go about this? I priced out all of the parts I need for the set, but didn't realize all these other fees that would be tacked on to the base price of the bricks. At this point, it would probably be cheaper to stalk eBay and hope for a cheaper auction.

I made my first Bricklink order yesterday and didn't have this issue. I looked for a seller that had a lot of something I needed and then checked the other stuff. The only thing I had to really be careful about was finding someone that didn't have a minimum order price. Then again I'm from Europe so maybe the guys over here are not that bad about this stuff.

sounds like lego Atlantis, my favourite is the totally badass anglerfish set

7978-1.jpg

yeahhhh

ebay is a good bet

actually, if it's older than that it could be Aquazone
http://brickset.com/sets/theme-Aquazone

Thtat is the set he had... hmmm.. so he got a retired set from his friend? I am sure the mom did not know seeing as how my nephew is 7. I need to find out where he got it and if they have any more. It might be worth getting huh?

Ponn

Banned
Finished the Knowhere (sp?) set, Ill post my impressions in the morning, along with pictures, maybe.

Haha, can already tell from tone. $40 for just the figs set. Just can't believe with a Marvel space adventure that is the set they came up with to make.

Eklipsis

Just picked up my Delorean set from Walmart, which arrived a week sooner than their expected ship date. Be warned they put a big sticker on the box luckily, I was able to peel it off without any ill effects, because this is one of the boxes I will keep.

Ravek

Banned
Haha, can already tell from tone. $40 for just the figs set. Just can't believe with a Marvel space adventure that is the set they came up with to make.

Yeah....well....

Ill soon post my review.

Edit: LEGO just fucking processed my order.......two days later. How in the what the fuck?

neonglow

If not in the line you can always stop by the Boom! Comics booth when they do the Bee & Puppycat signings and say hello!

But yeah I already told my friend I'm signing with "This better not interfere with any Lego exclusives." Hahaha

I may do that if I remember to during the chaos of SDCC.

Rootbeer

Banned
Back from LEGO store. No horses, damn. But did snatch:
Snowspeeder
Cantina
Ghost
Phantom

They also had the summer Chima sets! But given Chima's history of discounts... Best skipped for now.

That'll keep me busy. Until August :)

Xater

Personally I am really not into any of the Chima stuff. I think most of the sets look really dumb. Same goes for the Ninjago stuff but at least they have cool minifigs.

The stuff I like most is classic Space, City and one offs like the Ghostbusters thing. Well I also think some of the lego Movie sets look pretty cool.

Rootbeer

Banned
Personally I am really not into any of the Chima stuff. I think most of the sets look really dumb. Same goes for the Ninjago stuff but at least they have cool minifigs.

The stuff I like most is classic Space, City and one offs like the Ghostbusters thing. Well I also think some of the lego Movie sets look pretty cool.
I love the minifigs! I look at them more as part packs with great exclusive minifigs. Nothing stupid about them to my eyes!

But it's aaaall about the discounts.

That said I actually heard a kid call Ninjago "stupid" While in the LEGO store. Saw the store move a lot of Movie sets while I was there.

One kid bought the Ecto-1. Always cool to see the young generation digging Ghostbusters.

Even those attending would have to be blisteringly lucky to get it. The line ups to even be entered into a drawing for a chance to buy the CC exclusives is insane. Every year there are new blogs talking about how awful the process is.

Last year had some terrible stories. You would think they'd have learned their lesson.

Wait, they don't just have people line up at a given time and they sell them first-come first-served?! You stand in line... To get a raffle ticket?

Fffffffuuuccckkkk this just got a lot less enticing.

Rootbeer

Banned
Wait, they don't just have people line up at a given time and they sell them first-come first-served?! You stand in line... To get a raffle ticket?

Fffffffuuuccckkkk this just got a lot less enticing.
At least one person from LEGO GAF needs to get this set. You must do this!

Xater

I love the minifigs! I look at them more as part packs with great exclusive minifigs. Nothing stupid about them to my eyes!

But it's aaaall about the discounts.

That said I actually heard a kid call Ninjago "stupid" While in the LEGO store. Saw the store move a lot of Movie sets while I was there.

One kid bought the Ecto-1. Always cool to see the young generation digging Ghostbusters.

Well yeah. I mostly plan to use sets for pieces. The Ecto-1 will stay as a display piece though. Same goes for the Delorean should I get it.

I also forgot to mention that I enjoy some of the Creator sets as well but I guess people ignore them because they have no minifigs.

I guess this is as good a time as any to publish my guide on how to piece together a set.

Guide here

I hope it's helpful. Bricklink can be daunting. Don't forget that Lego's online Pick-A-Brick might have a lot of the pieces you need.

R-User!

Just got the 39 piece Stack-On drawer organizer for 50% off ($10) at Home Depot!!! I bought 3 cases (9 units)!

If you need sorting solutions NOW is the time to check your local HD.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Stack-On-39-Compartment-Storage-Cabinet-DS-39-12/100023878/

It says $16 dollars, but they had been $20 MSRP in stores for a while...

Still a great deal at 10 bucks each.

P.S., Amazon sells 48 dividers for 4 bucks if you want to expand the smaller bins from 30 compartments to 60!!!

Edit: PSS: This special buy 2-Pack interlocking organizer is only 9.88 if you can find it at one of your local stores. I bought 4.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/product/204515485

Top Bottom