• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

So now we have two GotG exclusive minifigs, with more exclusives still to be revealed?!?

Frankly, I'm getting a little tired of LEGO pulling this crap.

Agreed, this is really irritating. I don't have enough vacation time to even go out there and you have to fight all the resellers as well...didn't they learn from last year? I guess not...

Ravek

Banned
Price: $39.99 (free for me, early B-Day Gift)
Pieces: 433, with a fair about spares
Minifigs: 4, Rocket Racoon, Nebula, solider and I am Groot (Groot)

Review:

Hm...Let me start off with saying that with every LEGO set, YMMV.

I was very excited when I was gifted this last night. Finally, I would have all of the GotG minifigs. Yay me...

Well, to say this set is underwhelming, wouldn't do it justice. The platform is merely a trap door, with a catapult and a knock over lever. The trap door makes the minifig fall into a pathetic alien lava. Or maybe it's an acid, idk.

The catapult is of the same design as many we have gotten over the years from the various Castle and HP sets.

One of the strong points of this set is Rocket Raccon's ship. Despite its size, its actually fairly dense, pieces wise. RR has to stand in the cockpit because of his minilegs, but it works. RR also comes with a gun that is actually bigger than he is. This makes it somewhat difficult for him to hold the gun and to stand when not on studs, but I found it quite comical nonetheless. (Furthermore, as most of you probably already know, RR's head does not rotate)

Groot is awesome in my opinion. I know some people are torn between him not being a minifig, but it doesn't bother me. (It would be nice though, if he came in minifig style with Woody sized legs). He's pretty massive and when you put RR on one of Groot's shoulders, it only adds to the effect.

Overall, besides a few uncommon pieces, I'd have a hard time recommending this set unless you're a huge GotG fan and or really love the minifigs.

Btw: I know this is horribly written and not in depth at all. I was in a rush and I'm having a pretty shitty day.

LEGO retail store weekly sale:

This week the 20% sale covers

- a few creator sets - animal (monkey), creature (cat & mouse), and one other.
- a few smaller Chima sets (none new wave).
- The two larger Ninjago sets and a couple smaller ones.

My PAB wall is refilled with a bunch of the first wave of new PAB elements (car and aircraft).

neonglow

It looks like in addition to Rocket Racoon ship, they're doing 2 more exclusives for $40 each. I think this is the most they've ever done...seems like overkill now.

The two other Lego sets that will be sold at the Lego booth are of a Batmobile from the classic television series, and of the Ghost starship from “Star Wars.” Each is priced at $39.99 and Lego will sell 1000 of each set during the show, capped at 250 per day.

Not sure what they mean here though.

At Comic-Con, Lego plans in all to reveal more than 20 exclusives, including other limited-edition sets and life-size models for film franchises such as “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,” “Star Wars” and “The Lego Movie.”

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014...-groot-and-rocket-raccoon-for-sdcc-exclusive/

Rootbeer

Banned
So now we have two GotG exclusive minifigs, with more exclusives still to be revealed?!?

con exclusives are the worst... :(

I guess we can just wait for the inferior (but still not terrible) bootleg versions. :|
Anyone find the research lab in the wild yet?
In inquired about it, but my store is holding to the Aug 1st hard sell date others have mentioned.

R-User!

Also, I updated my prior post to include this deal too:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/product/204515485

9.88 for two cases is really good. They're basically the same size as the Stanley Sortmasters, for half the price and just as durable in my estimation.

Most stores probably won't have this, but Home Depots mobile site gives you exact quantities of stock, so as long as there is at least 2 or more, than it will show the number. Hope someone can take advantage of these deals... :)

China will have them to buy in no time flat. Assuming the movie is big, there should be loads of alternate figs from the movie. I bet they do their own groot too!

Xater

LEGO retail store weekly sale:

This week the 20% sale covers

- a few creator sets - animal (monkey), creature (cat & mouse), and one other.
- a few smaller Chima sets (none new wave).
- The two larger Ninjago sets and a couple smaller ones.

My PAB wall is refilled with a bunch of the first wave of new PAB elements (car and aircraft).

Where can I find out about sales like that in Europe? I want the cat and mouse set and would pick it up in a 20% sale.

neonglow

Wait, they don't just have people line up at a given time and they sell them first-come first-served?! You stand in line... To get a raffle ticket?

Fffffffuuuccckkkk this just got a lot less enticing.

I don't think it's gotten to that level yet but that would be a better alternative for the general public. They only sell to the first 250 people in line each day and the people in those lines are other exhibitors and their friends. Exhibitors get to go to the convention floor an hour before the general public. =(

Just got the 39 piece Stack-On drawer organizer for 50% off ($10) at Home Depot!!! I bought 3 cases (9 units)!

If you need sorting solutions NOW is the time to check your local HD.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Stack-On-39-Compartment-Storage-Cabinet-DS-39-12/100023878/

It says $16 dollars, but they had been $20 MSRP in stores for a while...

Still a great deal at 10 bucks each.

P.S., Amazon sells 48 dividers for 4 bucks if you want to expand the smaller bins from 30 compartments to 60!!!

Edit: PSS: This special buy 2-Pack interlocking organizer is only 9.88 if you can find it at one of your local stores. I bought 4.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/product/204515485

I'm at the point I need a small drawer solution like that. I'm checking online and it's not giving me an option to check in-store availability. Did you order online or find it in-store?

50% off is the magical must buy plastic for me. :)

Wait so who is that minifig? Someone said it's a GOTG fig (I assume.. The Collector?) but someone else said it's Magneto?

Classic Batmobile is one of the sets I heard about from the WB guy, so I guess that proves he wasn't pulling my leg. Didn't know it was gonna be a con exclusive though, argh. :mad:

neonglow

Wait so who is that minifig? Someone said it's a GOTG fig (I assume.. The Collector?) but someone else said it's Magneto?

Classic Batmobile is one of the sets I heard about from the WB guy, so I guess that proves he wasn't pulling my leg. Didn't know it was gonna be a con exclusive though, argh. :mad:

The Collector is seen at the end of Thor 2 and will be in the upcoming GOTG movie.

Where can I find out about sales like that in Europe? I want the cat and mouse set and would pick it up in a 20% sale.

It may be a regional thing. It's not advertised anywhere. This is something new the LEGO store is doing the past few weeks. Every week Thurs they put some sets on sale 20% off and ends Sun when store closes. Stores don't know which sets until corporate lets them know for that week.

I don't know how long they will do this, but I think this is the 3rd or 4th week. My guess is LEGO is saturated with soooo many different sets they need to clear inventory.

R-User!

I'm at the point I need a small drawer solution like that. I'm checking online and it's not giving me an option to check in-store availability. Did you order online or find it in-store?

Found it in store. Just check who has the most quantities closest to you, call and ask what their price says IN THEIR SYSTEM not what the 15.97 online price says, and ask if it's on Clearance status. If its in clearance, it could be 10$ or a bit more or less. As long as its cheaper than the 16$ online price than you can evaluate of you want it for what price they have it marked down to. :)

Ponn

Banned
Got my 2nd package from China today. Heres a couple pics of the figs people would be interested in.

lv9dPKG.jpg

my first real issue with these knock off figs, wolverine only had one claw. Not a biggie I have some extras but still.

Yea, you know thats why you got this set right here.

And you know what, I think its time to
ROCK THE DRAGON!

I think the weapons they included is pretty funny. Krillin - Master of Knives

Roshi comes with a turtle shell just like the TMNT figs, light in color

Goku's hair is pretty awesome I gotta say along with Vegeta. Comes with a back thing to hold his staff. His head printing around eyes looks kind of derpy without the hair piece but you can tell they did it on purpose to go with SS look and hair.

Awww yeeeaaa. Even his sword looks kind of cool, I might use it with another fig or something or give it to my Optimus Kreo.

Overall kind of impressed with these dbz figs with nothing to really copy. I'm really hoping they continue this line so we can get a Piccolo, SS Vegeta, Trunks and well yea alot of em.

Got my 2nd package from China today. Heres a couple pics of the figs people would be interested in.

my first real issue with these knock off figs, wolverine only had one claw. Not a biggie I have some extras but still.

Yea, you know thats why you got this set right here.

And you know what, I think its time to
ROCK THE DRAGON!

I think the weapons they included is pretty funny. Krillin - Master of Knives

Roshi comes with a turtle shell just like the TMNT figs, light in color

Goku's hair is pretty awesome I gotta say along with Vegeta. Comes with a back thing to hold his staff. His head printing around eyes looks kind of derpy without the hair piece but you can tell they did it on purpose to go with SS look and hair.

Awww yeeeaaa. Even his sword looks kind of cool, I might use it with another fig or something or give it to my Optimus Kreo.

Overall kind of impressed with these dbz figs with nothing to really copy. I'm really hoping they continue this line so we can get a Piccolo, SS Vegeta, Trunks and well yea alot of em.

I was eyeing the DragonBall Z ones too. There is another DBZ set that is crappy (another manufacturer) that I passed on (glad I did) because those that you have are newly released by Decool. Decool is the highest quality of knockoffs I've seen (although I haven't seen many).

Kyari

Oh man I hope that '66 Batmobile isn't exclusive.... :(!
If it is it might be time to consider selling some of my prize winning sets.

ghostmind

LEGO Movie SDCC exclusive Uni-Kitty on the left, and a sneak preview of an upcoming LEGO Movie set, from the third wave in January, on the right.

DcIk2kK.jpg

LEGO Movie SDCC exclusive Uni-Kitty on the left, and a sneak preview of an upcoming LEGO Movie set, from the third wave in January, on the right.

DcIk2kK.jpg

Awwww, Super-Happy Uni-Kitty!!

Sweet, Batman with his grappling hook! Has he had his grappling hook in other sets? Can't wait to buy a million of those Skeletrons with that gun to recreate the end fight scene...

Ponn

Banned
I was eyeing the DragonBall Z ones too. There is another DBZ set that is crappy (another manufacturer) that I passed on (glad I did) because those that you have are newly released by Decool. Decool is the highest quality of knockoffs I've seen (although I haven't seen many).

Yea i'm just really impressed by the quality and detail on the DBZ figs and the fact that they didn't have anything to copy from. The Vegeta fig is my favorite (probably because he was my fav character anyways) but his sword is kinda cool even if it was meant as a throwaway accessory. I'm seriously thinking of some space knight scenes or something with it. There isn't a bad fig in the bunch and I hope they continue the line. Also forget to mention Phoenix's flame/lightning hand things are a pretty unique color. One is just translucent red but the other is a neat blended yellow/red color. Highly recommend and I believe I paid about $8 for all 6 free shipping.

DcIk2kK.jpg

Man at first I was son-of-a-bitch at that SDCC exclusive Unikitty then you had to couple it with awesome wave 3 news and we don't have to get Emmett mech to get Angry Kitty now. Your post has me split down the middle.

Also thanks Ravek for Knowhere Escape review. I have a feeling thats going to be the consensus feelings on that set. Feels like a wasted opportunity to me of a set.

Rootbeer

Banned
Holy crap at that exclusive unikitty! People are gonna go ape for that.

And I didn't know we were getting more LEGO Movie sets in January... that set looks underwhelming but I'll buy it for the unikitty variant :3

BOOTLEGGERS! Hurry up and give us an 8 pack of unikitties, it's way past time.

Holy crap at that exclusive unikitty! People are gonna go ape for that.

And I didn't know we were getting more LEGO Movie sets in January... that set looks underwhelming but I'll buy it for the unikitty variant :3

BOOTLEGGERS! Hurry up and give us an 8 pack of unikitties, it's way past time.

Those are just the minifigures in the set, not the actual set itself.

Strange, I was told the sparkly-eyed Unikitty would come with that other Batman set, not the Nasty Kitty. I wonder if Sparkle Kitty will have a reversible face, or if they'll include two different bricks.

Jesus SDCC Lego exclusives are shaping up to be crazy.

Glendale Galleria, but I won't be working again until Friday. But go check it out! It's a super nice store and as far as I know, we got all the new summer stuff in today.

Sadly my meetings went long and I didn't make it up to your store. Do you guys happen to have an exclusive LA magnet? I have a few but was hoping to pick one up on this trip-probably won't get back to Cali until Aug/Sept.

R-User!

Also, down below on the page I linked it says "Set your store for local inventory and pickup options", so once you set your store based on your zip code, then you should have the option to see what nevermind, I see that it does not offer the "Pick up in store" option, so you only option is to take this SKU: 787646, and cold call stores to check instore price, quantities and clearance status... :/

But it's worth it if your store has as many as you need...

Word of advise: make sure to ask for a "Visual Identification" that the item ACTUALLY is in stock, and of it is ask them to hold it for you at the "Service Desk" (Customer Service near Returns) until you can pick it up. Tell them when you'll be there, and they'll usually hold it for you for a few hours if you press them nicely; Otherwise they might say that you need to pay or it and put it on Will Call (eff that unless you're willing to give your card info over the phone...).

Also, down below on the page I linked it says "Set your store for local inventory and pickup options", so once you set your store based on your zip code, then you should have the option to see what nevermind, I see that it does not offer the "Pick up in store" option, so you only option is to take this SKU: 787646, and cold call stores to check instore price, quantities and clearance status... :/

But it's worth it if your store has as many as you need...

Word of advise: make sure to ask for a "Visual Identification" that the item ACTUALLY is in stock, and of it is ask them to hold it for you at the "Service Desk" (Customer Service near Returns) until you can pick it up. Tell them when you'll be there, and they'll usually hold it for you for a few hours if you press them nicely; Otherwise they might say that you need to pay or it and put it on Will Call (eff that unless you're willing to give your card info over the phone...).

Thanks. I think I'll just stop by 1 or 2 stores on the way home from work. Fingers crossed. 50% off plastic!!! It feels like a LEGO clearance sale!

Ryuuroden

Thanks. I think I'll just stop by 1 or 2 stores on the way home from work. Fingers crossed. 50% off plastic!!! It feels like a LEGO clearance sale!

Personally, I like these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/19-bin-portable-parts-storage-case-93928.html

image_23120.jpg

8 dollars

or slightly deeper: http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_15143.jpg

They are both same size as the other brands you guys are talking about (stanleys).

I do have 8 of those type of drawer units as well. multiple types of storage is best storage :). I even have built some custom storage, Ill have to take pics when i'm home.

Sadly my meetings went long and I didn't make it up to your store. Do you guys happen to have an exclusive LA magnet? I have a few but was hoping to pick one up on this trip-probably won't get back to Cali until Aug/Sept.

That would be amazing but no, we don't have any exclusives like that :(

The one at Downtown Disney might... but I don't remember seeing anything like that the last time I was there. :S

Personally, I like these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/19-bin-portable-parts-storage-case-93928.html

image_23120.jpg

8 dollars

or slightly deeper: http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_15143.jpg

They are both same size as the other brands you guys are talking about (stanleys).

I do have 8 of those type of drawer units as well. multiple types of storage is best storage :). I even have built some custom storage, Ill have to take pics when i'm home.
Awesome because you can take the cups out to sift through them. The only disadvantage to those is that you can't adjust the size of each area to accommodate larger pieces or if you have a lot of something.

But cases like that are great because you can carry them to other rooms or places and stash easily.

My niece and I were playing with my old legos today and I noticed something about the Res-Q theme: their vehicles are colored black and yellow, like Blacktron I; and the rescuers have the Blacktron I logo on their chests.

I thought that was pretty cool.

R-User!

Awesome because you can take the cups out to sift through them. The only disadvantage to those is that you can't adjust the size of each area to accommodate larger pieces or if you have a lot of something.

But cases like that are great because you can carry them to other rooms or places and stash easily.

This is true. I like the flexibility in being able to adjust the sizes though a tad more than having the removable cups.
The HDX special buy was only 5 bucks per case though, so if you prefer the cup-less version, than its a steal! :) If your store has decent quantities in stock though...

That would be amazing but no, we don't have any exclusives like that :(

The one at Downtown Disney might... but I don't remember seeing anything like that the last time I was there. :S

I have one from the Orlando Downtown Disney...is there a California Downtown Disney as well?

On an unrelated note a buddy gave me this last week. Never seen packaging like this but I guess it's from the kid-focused monthly builds?

RHsvc2Jl.jpg

I have one from the Orlando Downtown Disney...is there a California Downtown Disney as well?

On an unrelated note a buddy gave me this last week. Never seen packaging like this but I guess it's from the kid-focused monthly builds?

RHsvc2Jl.jpg
Yeah Disneyland has a Downtown Disney area and it's got a massive Lego store.

That poly does look like a monthly mini build bag. Which is super weird because it is WAY against the rules for guests or employees to take them home in a sealed bag, only assembled.

ghostmind

The Mini Cooper is now available for VIPs from S@H. You will also receive the Mini Cooper polybag with your order (along with Flashback Shredder in North America).

Zerojul

DcIk2kK.jpg

While exclusives are still saddening (that Collector minifig hurts), I'm amazed at the idea of a third TLM wave. I wonder what they can came up with, if the exclusive DC set is not TLM Batwing, I guess it could be part of that January wave.

It says 1. August for me. :(

Same here. The VIP exclusivity from July 18th was mentionned in the Fench catalog so I don't know what gives...
Edit : it's now available on the S@H, it was some kind of bug or something I guess. The Mini mini Cooper is available, too ;)

Found it in store. Just check who has the most quantities closest to you, call and ask what their price says IN THEIR SYSTEM not what the 15.97 online price says, and ask if it's on Clearance status. If its in clearance, it could be 10$ or a bit more or less. As long as its cheaper than the 16$ online price than you can evaluate of you want it for what price they have it marked down to. :)

Checked 2 stores. $16 and none had them on clearance.

I decided to get one for $16 as it's still cheaper than Amazon (same product) and other places by 20+%.
We'll see how I like the drawers. For $10, I would have gotten 3 or 4.

Same here. The VIP exclusivity from July 18th was mentionned in the Fench catalog so I don't know what gives...
Edit : it's now available on the S@H, it was some kind of bug or something I guess. The Mini mini Cooper is available, too ;)
Ordered. :D
Will look great on my desk at BMW. ^^

Top Bottom