• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

wetwired

Stay puft sculpture to show up at SDCC

LEGO-Stay-Puft_4271.jpg

Just ordered the Mini Cooper, was pleasantly surprised to see the Mini Mini Lego Cooper was automatically added despite there being no information or anything telling you it will be added to your order automatically for the American S&H site

Awww, I'd really like that Unikitty but there's no way I'm paying SDCC prices for her. Nice to see that the line is continuing.

Just a thought... What if the modular building for 2015 is Emmet's apartment? It would be a crossover that could make more people buy the modulars.

I guess this is as good a time as any to publish my guide on how to piece together a set.

Guide here

I hope it's helpful. Bricklink can be daunting. Don't forget that Lego's online Pick-A-Brick might have a lot of the pieces you need.

Thanks for the guide! I've basically gone through everything that you've outlined in the guide and I guess my problem (which you've sort of addressed) is this:

You may want to compare prices to get the very best deal, but that is very hard work for the amount of parts lots we’re talking here. If you value your time, it’s better to take your chances with whoever has the most parts you need. Before you check out, take a look at whatever else the seller has, check your other wanted lists or just the lists of items they have. This is where the budget goes way out of hand… but if you were looking for something else, it might be cheaper to get it now than placing a separate order later…

Bricklink doesn't have a best price option for different lots, so it ends up that one seller may have a good price on a couple of pieces, but then are 25%-150% higher on the rest of the pieces that I want that are in their store.

Any way around this, or should I just bite the bullet?

If you set a reasonable Max Price for every item in your wanted list, the shop won't show those results and you won't risk buying something overpriced. Like, you see that a part goes for $0.15 from most sellers, set a max for $0.20 (or less if there's plenty of sellers or if you need a ton of them).

Zerojul

I mean pet shop -.-
herpderp
I've heard that Grand Emporium and Town Hall would be the first to go, so if it's true that means Pet Shop will be here to stay a little longer. Which is kinda weird as Pet Shop is older than Town Hall...
Anyway I'd say you shoudn't worry about it dissapearing before the next modular is out, and AFAIK nothing has been annouced yet as far as new modulars go...

hmmblah

Mini Cooper and freebies on the way! For some reason if I searched for Mini cooper in the store I would be redirected to a VIP early access URL with a 404 error. I was able to find the set under Exclusives though.

Help me out here LegoGAF:

I got a bunch of lose bricks on some fleamarket recently for cheap and now i already found a bunch of Megablocks and also a couple of FAKE Lego bricks amongst the real ones..

Here's what gets me though, there are these bricks where i can't really tell whether they're fake or real, can anyone give me a hint here?

ngVcVuY.jpg

fairly certain the one on the left is a real one, but the one on the RIGHT, what's up with that one? Note how "Lego" is written in a different font, a lot more clearly than the left one, also the color tone seems kinda "matte" doesn't it?

FDyYHTn.jpg

They also don't have that LINE across the middle like regular bricks do. Now is this simply how they USED to be and Lego improved them? Meaning they'd still be genuine or are those fakes??

C11RyKD.jpg

R-User!

Checked 2 stores. $16 and none had them on clearance.

I decided to get one for $16 as it's still cheaper than Amazon (same product) and other places by 20+%.
We'll see how I like the drawers. For $10, I would have gotten 3 or 4.

Too bad they weren't on clearance, but glad to hear that you found them at a cheaper price than other places.

Maybe you'll like them enough to justify a few more, and perhaps by then they might be on clearance. :)

wetwired

I got a bunch of lose bricks on some fleamarket recently for cheap and now i already found a bunch of Megablocks and also a couple of FAKE Lego bricks amongst the real ones..

Here's what gets me though, there are these bricks where i can't really tell whether they're fake or real, can anyone give me a hint here?

ngVcVuY.jpg

fairly certain the one on the left is a real one, but the one on the RIGHT, what's up with that one? Note how "Lego" is written in a different font, a lot more clearly than the left one, also the color tone seems kinda "matte" doesn't it?

FDyYHTn.jpg

They also don't have that LINE across the middle like regular bricks do. Now is this simply how they USED to be and Lego improved them? Meaning they'd still be genuine or are those fakes??

C11RyKD.jpg

I'd say that's just an older brick, they've changed the internal structure over the years.

Zerojul

There are older bricks like that without the middle line :
http://rebrickable.com/parts/3001old/Brick-2-x-4-without-Cross-Supports
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3001old
But it seems the font on the studs is different... I don't know TBH.

I started building the Town Hall a few days ago....
Dat 1st florr!!!!
Damn this is a fun build... and I am still on the 1st set of bags/ 1st floor! I need to save up for the fire brigade and then the Partsian Restaraunt.

ruxtpin

Banned
I started building the Town Hall a few days ago....
Dat 1st florr!!!!
Damn this is a fun build... and I am still on the 1st set of bags/ 1st floor! I need to save up for the fire brigade and then the Partsian Restaraunt.

I think you'll find folks say the Town Hall is one of the more boring modular builds. It doesn't have any super-advanced techniques, but like you I thought it was pretty fun. I also think the end model looks great. I have it as the center of my modular display right now, with a Monster Hunter guy sword-fighting an alien on top - because that's how my town rolls.

Ok, so I almost have the wife convinced to let me put the modulars in the living room on the book case... I told her that I can decorate it during Christmas.. and Halloween... to give it a little flair (like it would need it anyway...)

But have I betten off more than I can chew? Does Lego have holiday packs (like snow bricks, or Christmas Trees with lights, maybe a Santa or other holiday type stuff???

Any ideas and places to get these at?
Thanks

Ok, so I almost have the wife convinced to let me put the modulars in the living room on the book case... I told her that I can decorate it during Christmas.. and Halloween... to give it a little flair (like it would need it anyway...)

But have I betten off more than I can chew? Does Lego have holiday packs (like snow bricks, or Christmas Trees with lights, maybe a Santa or other holiday type stuff???

Thanks

There's a whole winter village theme. TLG releases a new set each year. The old ones will set you back quite a bit.

Check them out on brickset and maybe look for parts on bricklink.

Thanks

you'll wish you hadn't asked...

Just ordered the MINI Cooper, along with shedder & mini MINI, for $26.99 after my VIP points. Feels good!

Two more weeks until the ideas EXO Suit & science sets!

Binge bought my Mini Cooper to get the mini Mini, which will go great with my mini Camper Van.

Had $10 to use in VIP points that took off tax and brought the price to just under $99.

Feels good.

I hope that someone compiles a master post of all the SDCC exclusives once they're all revealed, I'm finding it difficult to keep track of them all in one place :\

So far we have...

Sets:
1966 Batmobile (with exclusive fig?) - $39.99
Star Wars Mini Ghost (with non-exlusive droid) - $39.99
Rocket's Warbird (with exclusive Rocket Raccoon) - $39.99

MiniFigs:
The Collector - GotG
Bard Bowman - LotR
Sparkly-Eyes Unikitty - Lego Movie

Anything else?

Also, I read somewhere that the SDCC Unikitty will have a double-sided face, so that answers my question about that.

I know of at least three more sets, but I'm fairly sure at least one of them is the UCS reveal so I won't say anything about that. There should be something revealed that will be a Target exclusive too, if I remember what he said correctly.

ruxtpin

Banned
I thought we were getting some sort of UCS reveal at SDCC?

Edit: I see you're talking about exclusives just for the show, not set reveals.

Experien

I took this before I went to sleep last night so forgive the quality but these are the main guys from the LEGO knock-off TMNT characters.

Also, it seems Amazon took down the listings cause I can't go back to the product page. The seller page doesn't even have LEGO products listed anymore.

They get the job done. My only complaints are the Krang's human face has fleshtone robot paneling instead of silver/metal color and their joints don't feel as stiff as they should be.

HOLD UP!

The 1966 Batmobile is an SDCC exclusive?! Is it in minifig scale too?!

It's being reported that there will be a 1966 Batmobile set that's $39.99 and exclusive to SDCC.

HOWEVER

That doesn't rule out a full, real set later on. The other two $39.99 sets aren't minifig scale, but the '66 Batmobile in the teaser picture from Lego was, so it could still be a set coming out in the future, and the SDCC set is just a smaller exclusive variant.

So far it's the only $39.99 set that we haven't seen, nor do we know what minifigure it'll come with or if it'll be a SDCC exclusive. Rocket is exclusive, but the droid in the mini Ghost set isn't.

My personal dream is that they go all out and do a 1966 Batman, with the white chalk lines on his mask and everything.

I also really hope that they make a real set out of it because it's the first and only Batman set I've been like, really wanting, and with the way they do their SDCC raffles and shit who knows if I'll get one >:|

I've heard that Grand Emporium and Town Hall would be the first to go, so if it's true that means Pet Shop will be here to stay a little longer. Which is kinda weird as Pet Shop is older than Town Hall...
Anyway I'd say you shoudn't worry about it dissapearing before the next modular is out, and AFAIK nothing has been annouced yet as far as new modulars go...

I'm sure it's based on demand. Town Hall has a higher price point and it doesn't have a wow factor and doesn't have great reviews among AFOLs (not interesting build). It does look very good IMO, but that $50 higher price and being a relatively "plain" building may make it the first modular I skip (I started with Fire Brigade). My next purchase will be Pet Shop. Then I'll decide if I skip Town Hall and get the theater one or a Star Wars UCS (R2-D2).

Fowler

Just finished the Ghostbusters set. So good. So, so good.

Build is interesting -- I love how the windows are done (and the wheels, never thought to do them that way!). It's super-duper solid. The proton packs are cool. Having a stand for the minifigs is an awesome touch. And: PRINTED PARTS EVERYWHERE! No stickers! Amazing.

And Ghostbusters quotes littered through the manual? Great touch.

My only complaints are minor ones: Venkman's hair, Egon's face (looks weird, almost anime-ish), and the manual is one of those bound ones that's great as a book but terrible as a LEGO manual because it's impossible to keep open without laying something on top of it.

Still, minor in the grand scheme of things.

One thing I thought was interesting: it's amazing how much better this set is than the DeLorean. The DeLorean felt a little cheap and half-assed; it wasn't very stable and didn't look very good, but it was saved by awesome minifigs, alternate builds and the whole IT'S AN OFFICIAL LEGO BACK TO THE FUTURE SET thing.

Where the Back to the Future set felt a little cheap, the Ghostbusters set feels right. Four custom minifigs, at least ten printed parts (no stickers), good detail, and a model that looks excellent... they really, really did this right.

Awesome set. THANKS WETWIRED!

Xater

Man I really want a Rocket Raccoon minifig but why does it have to come in such a shoddy set? I am also not willing to pay the prices people are asking for just the minifig without the blaster. Is there a chance the SDCC thing will be released as a regular set?

Ravek

Banned
Just built Hulk Lab Smash (along with a few other sets)...

This set is amazing. So many great minifigs (except Thor, he is just okay) and the set overall is just so much fun. My daughter won't stop playing with it
...so what if I'm jealous

I would definitely recommend this for Marvel and LEGO fans.

Just built Hulk Lab Smash (along with a few other sets)...

This set is amazing. So many great minifigs (except Thor, he is just okay) and the set overall is just so much fun. My daughter won't stop playing with it
...so what if I'm jealous

I would definitely recommend this for Marvel and LEGO fans.

Cmon, it's a must buy for Marvel fans just for MODOK and Taskmaster! The fact that we got those two figures is insane.

And yes, the set is a ton of fun for the playability and smashability. But the real stars are the figures.

And Thor is awesome. I just want a Beta Ray Bill figure now.

Top Bottom