• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Was looking over the Dark Forest line and it reminded me how much of a disappointment the line was. It was supposed to be the successor to Forestmen but only one of the sets seemed worth it. What was going on with the Hemlock Stronghold? It seemed like such a lazy design. At least the Dark Forest Fortress was awesome.

Ryuuroden

Did a count on that PAB cup I got:

564 1x2 Dark Bley Bricks
58 1x1 Medium Blue Bricks
3 2x6 pink plates
191 light trans blue 1x1 round plates
40 pink flower petals
67 1x1 trans clear plates
8 trans clear cheese slopes

wetwired

Updated #6

Lighting is all fixed now (power supply was busted), added waterfall, redid water

WIP6.jpg

leng jai

Just got around to see GOTG last night so I've been looking at the sets. They look pretty underwhelming. Are there only three at the moment?

Ravek

Banned
Just got around to see GOTG last night so I've been looking at the sets. They look pretty underwhelming. Are there only three at the moment?

Only three, not including the SDCC fucking exclusive.

The Escape From Knowhere set is very underwhelming. However, the Milano is fantastic.

I'm not sure about the last set.

Ryuuroden

May do an update pic of Orthanc this weekend. Not much has changed yet since last picture but a bunch is about to be added. However I just used up all 340+ 10x1 curved black slopes that I had >.< I shouldn't need much more for the bottom but still need another 40-60 I think. So I will have to order more of those plus some 1x4 studs on 1 side bricks. I may be able to get away with what I have since I really don't need many but it will probably use up my current supply and I may need them in parts of the build higher up.

While hunting the Milano I found series 1 mixels at Toys R Us. I grabbed a few extras for the parts.

If you missed these you might want to visit TRU as their prices are climbing on ebay.

Really curios to see what this years modular will be. I really would like to see a church.... Or school..or museum... Something cool...

I am too lazy to watch the Lego movie again and see if the next modular is potentially hidden in the movie towards the end.

Ryuuroden

le sigh, I am really burning through all my black a LOT faster than I want to. This project may take longer than planned....or I will have to figure out more ways to cheat brick usage. I don't want to buy more bricks by the box but I may have to. If anything, I will spend hours putting them together in container shaped blocks. First I need to find a LEGO store that has black in stock tho. I desperately need 1x1's and 1x3's and to a lesser extent 1x2's. I can build the whole thing using mainly 1x4's which is what I have a ton of but I need the other sizes for fillers so that i can build the walls with overlaps and such.

leng jai

All I care about is the finished product. Sometimes the build is tedious but the finished set will be worth it (hello Mini Cooper).

There are still a ton of builds that I love.

Exactly. Fun builds are cool but at the end of the day I only do it once so the end product design is far more important.

Ponn

Banned
Can't see what's so good about the Milano set. Then again I was never impressed with the Quinjet either which GAF creams itself over.

If you weren't impressed with Quinjet then yea you may not be impressed with The Milano. Quinjet for me was cool looking, wings were awesome build and loved how you almost built each section and then just snapped everything together. The boosters on the back, just lots of coolness factor and it looks really good on display.

The Milano is really similar in that it looks freaking cool sitting there and the wings, good lord the wings upon wings upon wings. They both take up a pretty big footprint because of their wingspan (together right now they take up a whole table for me). Really need to get around to making some kind of stand for them.

I've gone 2 weeks now without building anything. I have a backlog, its not like I have nothing to build. Pile of White House, Alien Conquest stuff, Lake Town Chase. Man I even have the Bat vs. Bane set thats been sitting there forever. I don't know what it is, i'm in some kind of Lego slump I guess. Last thing I build was one of those Kreo Microchangers combiners things, Superion.

Ryuuroden

grrrrr, lol, just finished building the interior walls (pre-many upcoming changes) up to the height of entrance into Orthanc. So basically have the outline for my dungeons. There is a circular staircase going down to the dungeons. Working on 2 levels of dungeon cells plus torture area and holding pens for wargs. Height of the Dungeon level(s) is 16 bricks high. My staircase to the outside entrance is 16 steps. The Orthanc in Tolkiens book has 24 steps so pretty close to accurate. the footprint has stayed at 48x48 plate with the SNOT-work hanging over the sides so more like 52x52. I am also officially out of ready to use black bricks. I will have to dismantle my minifigure display stand now for more black. There is probably already 7000 to 10,000 black bricks in the build now. When the first 2 levels are finished it will probably stand at 15,000 to 17,000. Once I get past that, the amount of bricks used as it grows in height should diminish greatly. There is just a lot of thickness due to the design of the base. I plan on calling every LEGO store within a 6 hour round trip distance tomorrow to find more black. :/ I hope i don't have to drive any further than Cleveland but I will do Indianapolis if i have to.

I think you mean to reply to someone else? Anyways on the bootleg topic, I am not a huge fan of their existence but ill tolerate it as long as it doesn't invade into the areas where there is already legit figures of. I am just looking more long term and don't want to see it reach a point like where it is in figure collecting from japan where you have to be so careful in the aftermarket in buying stuff that it makes things hard. Like when you had places churning out garage kits in painted versions that was fine but now you even have legit shops like Nippon-Yasan "accidentally" selling bootlegs of Snow Miku as the official ones. If I start seeing bootleg Lego pieces outside of minifigs I will be very unhappy. I don't want substandard cling factor "lego" mixed in with real lego. It is hard to see it happening as minifigs have a higher demand and are probably easier to bootleg than all the various bricks but with the fact that factories are going up in China, what's to stop from molds being stolen and then used with lower quality plastic to make bricks.

I'm conflicted about bootleg minifigs. Regarding exclusive minifigs that would cost $$$ my conscience is eased a lot more.

I also fear bootlegs are getting close enough one can't tell the difference. I'm sure there are some that sell them on eBay without stating they are not authentic LEGO or even worse saying they are.

Where do you guys tend to find the best prices for your sets? I'm thinking of picking up the Millennium Falcon this week, and the best price I can find is $20 off at Amazon.

Considering it's getting hard to find and is at end of life $20 off MSRP is a really good deal.
http://brickset.com/sets/7965-1/Millennium-Falcon

It is tiny compared to the modulars, sadly.

Found this pic:

compar10.jpg

Looks like 3 or 4 copies of the set would allow you to make them into modular size. :)\

EDIT: At least 4 copies. :)

Updated #6

Lighting is all fixed now (power supply was busted), added waterfall, redid water

WIP6.jpg

My god. It is beautiful. I cant wait to see the finished product.

Milano bro. Milano.

Can't see what's so good about the Milano set. Then again I was never impressed with the Quinjet either which GAF creams itself over.

Didn't like Quinjet?! You have failed this city!

Kidding. Sorry you weren't impressed by Quinjet like many of us were. But, different strokes for different folks, right?

Right now, for me, Milano > Quinjet. It might be the tape deck in the ship that is tipping the favor. I will rebuild both one after another just to see how they compare so close to each other. But Milano is winning just for the wings upon wings and how you can actually pose the wings to add more character to it.

ghostmind

For me, the build experience itself counts for about half of my assessment of a set. It's great if the final product looks sweet on my tables/shelves, but every time I look at it, I'm thinking about my satisfaction with the build.

That's why you'll see me hyping sets like the LR Silver Mine Shootout - it may not look like much, but its got it where it counts.

For me, the build experience itself counts for about half of my assessment of a set. It's great if the final product looks sweet on my tables/shelves, but every time I look at it, I'm thinking about my satisfaction with the build.

That's why you'll see me hyping sets like the LR Silver Mine Shootout - it may not look like much, but its got it where it counts.

That is how I am as well. Silver Mine is pretty damn ugly once finished, but damn was it a ton of fun to put together.

Then you have the other side of the equation with the Best Star. It is a pretty basic build when it is done, but the sheer size and breadth of it is impressive. But it is what you are building, and the flood of memories of the scenes from the films that you are building that elevate it so much for me.

Perhaps that is one of the things that elevated Milano above Quinjet for me. The little details of the ship that you notice in the film (tape deck!), where the Quinjet was just a generic ship that was awesome to build and swoosh.

ghostmind

I don't know if it has already been mentioned, but set 6862 (Superman vs. Power Armor Lex) has been labelled by LEGO as "Retiring Soon". Usually that means that a very narrow (and quickly shrinking) window still exists to pick this set up at MSRP, before it goes OOP.

I don't know if it has already been mentioned, but set 6862 (Superman vs. Power Armor Lex) has been labelled by LEGO as "Retiring Soon". Usually that means that a very narrow (and quickly shrinking) window still exists to pick this set up at MSRP, before it goes OOP.

Whoa. Took a long time. Two and a half years.

Probably the best $20 you can spend. Truly a kingly set. If anyone has not gotten this, get it NOW.

You want an awesome build? This has it and then some.

Want a great display piece? You have it. Dat pose-ability!

Want mini figures? You got it! Lex Luthor, and pre Nu-52 Superman and Wonder Woman!

Only want to MOC? You got it. You get ball joints, and a good assortment of pieces.

This set has it all, and all for under $20. It really is obscene how good of a deal this set has always been. I was late to the party with it, but there are not enough kind words to say about this set.

We took all the displays into the back tonight so they could power scrub the floor, and I got to swoosh the Milano.

God dammit now I have to buy it.

Edit: Building my T-Rex set while watching Jurassic Park. :)

Have the Rex set up near a bunch of minifigs and the Hulk bigfig. It is so impressivly huge. I have to own all the dinosaurs now. I have to.

neonglow

Really curios to see what this years modular will be. I really would like to see a church.... Or school..or museum... Something cool...

I am too lazy to watch the Lego movie again and see if the next modular is potentially hidden in the movie towards the end.

I heard a rumor that it could be Emmet's apartment building from The LEGO Movie though I think that's a stretch.

We took all the displays into the back tonight so they could power scrub the floor, and I got to swoosh the Milano.

God dammit now I have to buy it.

Edit: Building my T-Rex set while watching Jurassic Park. :)

Have the Rex set up near a bunch of minifigs and the Hulk bigfig. It is so impressivly huge. I have to own all the dinosaurs now. I have to.

That's a pricey endeavor.

That's a pricey endeavor.

I got the T-Rex Hunter for $2 brand new, that good luck'll extend out to the others, right??

;____;

Seriously.

The Trike goes for about $20 on BrickLink last time I checked. I think I can get the entire set for around $50 on BrickLink too. Lemme check...

Yep, lowest priced Trike goes for $21, complete set seems to be about $55 new.

I'm actually tempted to buy that whole set and not just the Trike, cause the Triceratops transport vehicle looks boss as hell.

5885-1.jpg

The Raptor, though? It's like $12, but the complete set is friggin' $50 so screw that. I'd get a couple of just the Raptors ... get two green Raptors and one brown one for about $30.

Of course then you factor in shipping and everything reasonable goes out the window.

jpatez34

Neo Member
It's been a while since I last posted on this thread. But I'm back with a good one!

My latest builds for one:
zwHeG44.jpg

Benny's Spaceship x3 (In my opinion the crown jewel of the LEGO Movie range)

GdqAP32.jpg

With the Milano! 2 very awesome looking ships.

and I have just ordered the UCS Tumbler, very much looking forward to building it.

Still waiting on the dispatch of my Exo-Suit, hoping it's soon.

Rootbeer

Banned
the ridiculous prices on those dino sets, I can't BELIEVE how much people want for them.

Star Wars ain't shit compared to them.

Here is the thing though, I really only like the Dinos from the 2012 wave, not the earlier sets, and that's not just because the sculpts are improved but because the colors they went with look great. I am wondering if the JP sets can compare or will they go with some looks that I don't like as much.

Top Bottom