• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Welp... Today is Bionicle goodness. I feel my normally regular lego money will be conducted towards mostly Bionicle once again.

It's odd though that Bionicle pulled me back into Lego when it launched and now I came back again and it shows up again.

Yeah, I started lego because of bionicle, went into my dark ages around 2008 when I got to that age where I thought I was 'too old' for the stuff, then this year I came back due to the lego movie and BOOM, bionicle comes back too. Weird.

Yeah, I started lego because of bionicle, went into my dark ages around 2008 when I got to that age where I thought I was 'too old' for the stuff, then this year I came back due to the lego movie and BOOM, bionicle comes back too. Weird.

I wonder if Lego knew this would be happening in some form that Bionicle people would rejoin their customer base.

Reminds me of the old veriety packs is get at Kmart as a kid. Really cool to get castle along with pirates and city stuff.

Makes me miss those flip open boxes a lot too.

One question for everyone: What was your first Lego set?

Mine (don't know number) was a small set with a pirate, a monkey, and a small yellow sandy area that had a treasure chest, gold, abd foliage. My parents bought me it and I earned one piece a day for every day I was able to tie my shoes :D

After that I was hooked. I still have some of of the parts from it but the monkey is falling apart.

I know I had some before this, but the first big set I remember getting was the Forbidden Island pirate set for Christmas in '89 (?). I looked up the instructions and rebuilt it earlier this year but I was missing the mast pieces.

I got out of Lego after the Episode 1 sets and got back in when I first saw the Galaxy Squad stuff. The space themes were always my favorite, I wish they would have a permanent presence like the City stuff, but I feel the Star Wars stuff gets in the way of that happening.

I got my first Lego on my fourth birthday. My parents had bought a ton of vintage stuff that was around ten years old at that point, so lots of pre-minifig buildings and cars.

My first City set was the yellow hamburger shop and my first Space set was the X-Wing-y ship in late blue era. I still have those, since I recently sorted out my old stuff.

In other news, the first floor of Town Hall is done. I'm not expecting much so far and I'm not getting much either. Reminds me of the first floor of Fire Brigade, it just goes on and on, but in this case we're not even getting clever builds along the front. Sure, the pillars and the top of the entrance are interesting, but only that. Apart from that, it's a big Creator build so far.

lego_townhall_wip.jpg

ghostmind

My first set, as I have mentioned before, was the classic space Galaxy Explorer.

This time, I'd like to point out my second set, which was the LEGO Town House, from 1979.

tjry6QE.jpg

In other news, the first floor of Town Hall is done. I'm not expecting much so far and I'm not getting much either. Reminds me of the first floor of Fire Brigade, it just goes on and on, but in this case we're not even getting clever builds along the front. Sure, the pillars and the top of the entrance are interesting, but only that. Apart from that, it's a big Creator build so far.

lego_townhall_wip.jpg
Just wait until you get to the roof. The roof is the best part.

Jimbro72

My first set was 565 - Moon Landing. Before minifigs were even a thing. Damn, I'm old. Sadly, I have none of the LEGO I had as a kid (other than 2 technic sets), which included lots of classic space, town and even the yellow castle.

Ponn

Banned
When is everyone starting their Halloween displays? I remember having to rush on mine last year so I feel i should get started soon. I have my HH still together put I kind of want to reassemble it and maybe add stuff to it. I need to build my Vampyres castle because man, that set would fall apart anytime i nudged it. And i'm concerned because I can't find that green car that came with it anywhere. It's like gone, disappeared and i have no clue how or where it could have went.

Anyways i'm hoping alot of people get into Halloween this year and we can share our display updates for the month and maybe feed of each others ideas. I was hoping to have a Mixer by now to do a sort of haunted carnival thing but that hasn't panned out so i'm not sure now.

My first set, as I have mentioned before, was the classic space Galaxy Explorer.

This time, I'd like to point out my second set, which was the LEGO Town House, from 1979.

tjry6QE.jpg

I remember that set clearly as I begged my mother to get that town house. I think it was the first one I saw with a girl minifig. The flowers were new to me too.
My minifigs as a kid were like Smurfs. All dudes and 1 girl.

Ryuuroden

lego_townhall_wip.jpg

I used the column design as a basic starting point for the columns in my Orthanc MOC that I am doing. That was something Town Hall contributed to me. I am taking the columns several steps further in complexity though.

Items of note:

Space helmets (that's what the notches on pre-Futuron helmets were for)
Stickers on shields and tabards (oh, modern Lego are so cheap!)
Illegal builds (pony ears)
Arches and slopes and a goddamn winch (but back when _I_ was a kid there were only basic blocks, not all these specialized pieces)

And apart from the flag, the 1x1 windows, the visors and the doors and hinges, all of these parts are still in production, 36 years later.

Ravek

Banned
LEGO SET 6900, 1997
UFO Cyber Saucer
113 pieces

bad photo, sorry. I feel like flicker degrades the image a lot...might just be me

So, I've been doing a lot of REBUILDS lately and this is the one I did today.

This was probably the first LEGO set that I fell in love with. Even while rebuilding it, I was remembering a lot from my childhood.

Its about 99% accurate. The spinning base plate that rotates the saucer is black, instead of red. And the stickers that go on the two fin outer panels are gone to history.

The instructions were clearly different back then. It just showed you where to put the pieces, but no quantity or key in the corner. Nothing bad just refreshing.

This was MY theme back in my youth. When the Insectasoids(sp?) came out, they constantly had wars with the UFO squad.

It was a fun little set that took me about an hour to build simply because I was looking for scattered pieces and playing with my kids.

Next REBUILD? 6915 Warp Wing Fighter!!!

What state are these Walgreens in?

I think any will have them. I walked into a random one on my way home from work and they had four bags out plus the new Mixels.

BTW what's the MSRP of the Mixels? I might go grab them since they have all the purple and green for $4.99 ea.

I always and still want/ed the UFO sets but never got them :(

wetwired

I know I had some before this, some hand me downs etc but this is the first set I can distinctly remember getting, for my 5th Birthday

6382-1b.jpg

I think any will have them. I walked into a random one on my way home from work and they had four bags out plus the new Mixels.

BTW what's the MSRP of the Mixels? I might go grab them since they have all the purple and green for $4.99 ea.

I always and still want/ed the UFO sets but never got them :(

I'll check out my Walgreens on Monday then.

Mixels are $4.99, I picked up the 3 tan ones yesterday.

Reminds me of the old veriety packs is get at Kmart as a kid. Really cool to get castle along with pirates and city stuff.

Makes me miss those flip open boxes a lot too.

One question for everyone: What was your first Lego set?

Mine (don't know number) was a small set with a pirate, a monkey, and a small yellow sandy area that had a treasure chest, gold, abd foliage. My parents bought me it and I earned one piece a day for every day I was able to tie my shoes :D

After that I was hooked. I still have some of of the parts from it but the monkey is falling apart.
Pohatu. OG Pohatu. It was either that or one of those Jack Rescue Crappy Child ones.

Stopped by Glendale TRU to see if they had Series 12 CMF and they randomly have the SpongeBob Flying Dutchman for $25. I don't know why but I kinda want it? Is that.. worth getting?

I mean, the ghost captain guy himself is awesome (except his stupid face) and it is a cute little ship with some nice parts, not really crazy about pirate SpongeBob or Patrick though.

Anyone have any experience with the SoongeBob sets? Would it be worth getting... just to sell someday? They have two so it's not like I gotta jump right this second I guess..?

neonglow

Stopped by Glendale TRU to see if they had Series 12 CMF and they randomly have the SpongeBob Flying Dutchman for $25. I don't know why but I kinda want it? Is that.. worth getting?

I mean, the ghost captain guy himself is awesome (except his stupid face) and it is a cute little ship with some nice parts, not really crazy about pirate SpongeBob or Patrick though.

Anyone have any experience with the SoongeBob sets? Would it be worth getting... just to sell someday? They have two so it's not like I gotta jump right this second I guess..?

I would probably get them if you liked it even a small bit. They're out of print now since Mega Bloks has the license.

First sets I remember playing with are;
WtydaAj.jpg

Did sets really come with that many minifigs!?! That's an army.
That was around the time I was entering my dark ages.
How I so wanted those medieval sets though!
I had to pretend antenna pieces were swords and wizard staffs then they finally come out with swords and shields.

Hard to say. Minifigs are the only thing worth value in those sets IMO. Bricklink prices for minifigs aren't super high, but they may go up more someday. *shrug*
I think the most expensive one is one of the fish people and not any of the main characters.

Ravek

Banned
Hard to say. Minifigs are the only thing worth value in those sets IMO. Bricklink prices for minifigs aren't super high, but they may go up more someday. *shrug*
I think the most expensive one is one of the fish people and not any of the main characters.

Fish people?

The only old Lego set I distinctly remember is this one:

6959_Lunar_Launch_Site.jpg

Kinda hard NOT to remember that baseplate, I pretty much used it for everything. I also remember I had some stuff from Aquazone but don't remember any specific sets there, just the trans green cockpits (with eyes on them!), compasses, and magnets. I was a 90s kid so no classic space or anything for me unfortunately.

Dilemma!!

A guy/ gal on Craigslist is selling the Fire Brigade modular for $175.00. The first instruction book is already complete, and the rest is still in the packages. Box is included and all parts are accounted for. It would be easy (maybe a bit time consuming) to disassemble it and start from scratch. The question is.... Is that a good deal? Or should I wait for the new modular. I only currently have room for one in my current shelf space.

DJ_Lae

My parents got me an early Christmas present and I thought about saving it for Christmas or building it immediately.

It didn't take me very long to decide, though.

iBJZWXr8XIzss.jpg

My Megablocks Warthog (yes, yes, I know) is the only vehicle I have that compares in size and it's still dwarfed.

im0Lji01E3tM1.jpg

My Whirl n Wheel truck is dinky in comparison too.

cool, glad Walgreens is selling mixels at MSRP. I'll get some this weekend then maybe.

I didn't realize that Lego was doing the two plastic colors for pieces in the new CMFs. The pizza guy looks great with the short sleeves :)

Matt

The only old Lego set I distinctly remember is this one:

6959_Lunar_Launch_Site.jpg

Kinda hard NOT to remember that baseplate, I pretty much used it for everything. I also remember I had some stuff from Aquazone but don't remember any specific sets there, just the trans green cockpits (with eyes on them!), compasses, and magnets. I was a 90s kid so no classic space or anything for me unfortunately.

I had that one.

Ryuuroden

Finally got to wiring the dungeon of my Orthanc with lighting. took some doing to hid the lights but I think it worked out well. Now I can continue with the construction of it. I am still on the main entryway floor but most of the interior is finalized and it wont take long to finish. Looking forward to actually building more exterior wall designs finally since I will be past the side mounted slope parts at last.

Dilemma!!

A guy/ gal on Craigslist is selling the Fire Brigade modular for $175.00. The first instruction book is already complete, and the rest is still in the packages. Box is included and all parts are accounted for. It would be easy (maybe a bit time consuming) to disassemble it and start from scratch. The question is.... Is that a good deal? Or should I wait for the new modular. I only currently have room for one in my current shelf space.

Buy it! That is only $25 above MSRP for an OOP set. That is a damn good deal. Looks like it is $200 for the cheapest on on eBay.

I know I've talked about this before, but the first set I ever remember getting was this one:

I still have it sitting on a shelf behind me, all with the original pieces. I got it for my fifth birthday and I can't even speculate on how many times I took it apart and rebuilt it. I'm pretty sure the package had a flip top so you could see the parts and I remember just being floored at the scale of it. 264 pieces. Two hundred and sixty four. I'm only just realizing now what a small count that is for modern sets.

On a totally unrelated note, I just got back from seeing Guardians of the Galaxy. The LEGO sets make a hell of a lot more sense now that I've seen it!

I bought this set on sale a few months ago and it's really cute. The figs are great and the actual ship is an interesting build. The sail is a printed piece btw.

Random Question for Lego GAF:

Does anyone know where I can find the best Deal for old Bionicles? The New announcement has me wanting to increase my old collection as I never really was able to collect them(In my defense, I was under 13 until Bionicle Ended. Kind of Hard to collect when you are 4)

So i just built the Eiffel Tower, a set which i would never have bought but got gifted the other day... It's actually a neat build, really comes together when you use those elastic arc wires. The end result looks nice, i recommend it for those of you that are into Architecture sets ;)

Top Bottom