• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

From Brickset's review of the set.

onnEv2T.jpg

CgdmNld.jpg

In chronological order. The newest version being all the way on the right.

Thanks!

CMF series 12 at Walgreens today!

And of course... They marked them up to 4.49. Ugh!

This seems more common with each passing series where I live.

Ugh. I don't think I'll be buying much more than one or two of the new series at the new $3.99 pricepoint. No bueno.

rallaren

2U1laq2.jpg

Coming together nicely. Those pneumatics (reason I got the set) - oh boy, but I got the hang of it. One book left and I look forward to finish it.

If that is the case then how are they still giving them out? It must be only for the people that buy the VW camper???

Maybe just extra stock? I think I told this story here, but on May the 4th I asked if I could have an additional Revan figure (this is the benefit of bringing two kids to the store!) and they said no, but then went and quietly got me a TC14 figure from the back. TC14 was from a May 4 promo from two years prior!

Maybe just extra stock? I think I told this story here, but on May the 4th I asked if I could have an additional Revan figure (this is the benefit of bringing two kids to the store!) and they said no, but then went and quietly got me a TC14 figure from the back. TC14 was from a May 4 promo from two years prior!

You live in the states? Did you order from the Lego.com store?

Rootbeer

Banned
Some first impressions on Series 12. I have all except Jester and Swashbuckler as of now. Gives me something to hunt for over the next month so I don't mind :p

WOW the wizard just might be my favorite minfig right now, if not easily in the top 5 that I own. He just looks incredible! That printing on the back side of his cape. That staff. That epic hat and beard. He's got it all.

Not only that but now I have a good wizard to go with the evil wizard from Dragon Mountain.

Hun Warrior has a really nice cape. I love how it's got a felt texture to it. This is definitely a nice direction for taking cloth accessories and I look forward to more like it.

Space Miner and Wizard are the standouts for me. I'd be happy to own several for all of their fantastic parts.

So, a while back I made this:

coffeebreak.jpg

Now I figured it was time for a variation on the theme:

coffeebreak_space.jpg

Absolutely love the floor on the space one. The yellow space outfit with the yellow head makes it look like he is mostly naked. LOL.

Also, that 2x2 slope with the computer print on it, is that an inverted slope? I have a vague memory of a friend's set from my childhood having some of those, but never got any myself.

Absolutely love the floor on the space one. The yellow space outfit with the yellow head makes it look like he is mostly naked. LOL.

Also, that 2x2 slope with the computer print on it, is that an inverted slope? I have a vague memory of a friend's set from my childhood having some of those, but never got any myself.

Yup, it's inverted. It was in a bunch of Classic Space sets although I'm not sure I had one before I ordered this one.

I was going to use classic white and red figures but turns out (surprise!) that they're really, really expensive if you want ones in good condition/reissues...

So, a while back I made this:

coffeebreak.jpg

Now I figured it was time for a variation on the theme:

coffeebreak_space.jpg

Nice. Very simple, yet has lots of details and tells a story. I love small vignettes like this. I remember just a few years ago I was planning on sticking with small vignettes because I planned on having a small collection. LOL Plan went way off course.

Reiterating Phonciplebone's comment, it looks like classic space Winnie the Pooh. In the future, not wearing pants is OK. :)

Some first impressions on Series 12. I have all except Jester and Swashbuckler as of now. Gives me something to hunt for over the next month so I don't mind :p

WOW the wizard just might be my favorite minfig right now, if not easily in the top 5 that I own. He just looks incredible! That printing on the back side of his cape. That staff. That epic hat and beard. He's got it all.

Not only that but now I have a good wizard to go with the evil wizard from Dragon Mountain.

Hun Warrior has a really nice cape. I love how it's got a felt texture to it. This is definitely a nice direction for taking cloth accessories and I look forward to more like it.

Space Miner and Wizard are the standouts for me. I'd be happy to own several for all of their fantastic parts.

Now that Series 12 is out it's a perfect time to bump Lego Marketplace Thread for trading:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699892

Zuilithe and WordAssassin, I'm still up for the trades/sales we proposed last month.

Ryuuroden

If he can keep up with tracking his sets on brickset, then he's not buying them fast enough. :)

I have to keep track of all my sets on brickset and all my PAB and bricklink ordered stuff is on my Rebrickable. My loose pieces list doesn't have everything on it as I have multiple years of stuff I had to back add and I know I missed some things but it's still about to hit the magic 100,000 bricks from PAB/bricklink before the year ends. That's in addition to the 200,000 or so from sets. All those numbers are conservative too. I have to keep track of it this way because otherwise I can't remember what I have and I end up buying something I already have. Hell, I still managed to do that accidentally just last weekend. I bought a Lego Movie set I already had and If I hadn't been adding my sets to brickset I would never of realized I was missing 2 of my 4 Exo Suits. I finally finished getting my Lego Room windows and door fully alarmed up and connected to the local police. Took some doing to get the landlord to let me do it but now at least I can rest easy when I travel.

I built a mech for the Space Miner so he doesn't feel left out next to the other guys. Now I just gotta find a Space Miner or two... considering today was the first day I saw s3 Mixels anywhere in my town, that might be a while.

Btw, I think I found an alternative to bag-feeling: I used the assistive light feature on my phone and used it to see through a mixel bag. If the CMF bags are the same material it should be very easy to tell what's what, especially since there's no instruction book to get in the way.

DemiMatt

Anyone know where I can find a Monster Hunter Haunted Mansion?

I've been wanting to buy this for a while and when I finally decide to pull the trigger it's sold out. I called all my local stores and none of them have it. Now they are going for 300 or so . . . sighhhhh.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

I have to keep track of all my sets on brickset and all my PAB and bricklink ordered stuff is on my Rebrickable. My loose pieces list doesn't have everything on it as I have multiple years of stuff I had to back add and I know I missed some things but it's still about to hit the magic 100,000 bricks from PAB/bricklink before the year ends. That's in addition to the 200,000 or so from sets. All those numbers are conservative too. I have to keep track of it this way because otherwise I can't remember what I have and I end up buying something I already have. Hell, I still managed to do that accidentally just last weekend. I bought a Lego Movie set I already had and If I hadn't been adding my sets to brickset I would never of realized I was missing 2 of my 4 Exo Suits. I finally finished getting my Lego Room windows and door fully alarmed up and connected to the local police. Took some doing to get the landlord to let me do it but now at least I can rest easy when I travel.

LOL at buying a set you already have but forgot. I'm guilty of that too. I have a few Amazon and Target unopened shipping boxes and I don't know what's in them (I know it's LEGO, but can't remember which sets).

I've been wanting to buy this for a while and when I finally decide to pull the trigger it's sold out. I called all my local stores and none of them have it. Now they are going for 300 or so . . . sighhhhh.

Unfortunately it will be difficult to find. Ask if they will ship from the LEGO store so you can try calling other stores. I recall WordAssassin or someone here saw it at their LEGO store.

I would love to see one of Chris McVeigh's technology/appliance models go through Lego Ideas so I wouldn't have to go through the trouble of Bricklinking it or the expense of buying his kits but I don't recall ever seeing them on the site so I'm guessing he's probably not interested in the process. At least he gives out the instructions for free.

http://chrismcveigh.com/cm/building_guides_-_technology.html

Awesome looking stuff. Love the TV with color bars.

ghostmind

I've been meaning to do this for a few days now... my thoughts on the 2015 January prelims... or at least the ones I am interested in.

Disney Princess
41063 Ariel's Undersea Palace has a new giant clamshell and a lot of other large trans-blue pieces, a golden slide, and Sebastian! Flounder is back too, and we get a Friends dolphin. I may pick this one up just as a parts pack.

41062 Elsa's Sparkling Ice Castle... speaking of trans-blue! So many nice parts in this one, including what looks like some trans-blue with glitter. Again, I am strongly considering this one as a parts pack.

No Jasmine's Exotic Adventure or Aurora's Bedroom, but if they follow suit with the other two I may be getting a lot of sets from this theme in the new year.

LEGO Classic
Seems to be the new branding for basic bricks. Very different packaging for baseplates. I'm hoping that the rebranding will lead to new road plates and the like.

CREATOR
31031 Rainforest Animals is a must-buy for me. I really enjoyed 2014's Forest Animals, and this new set with a Parrot, Frog and Fly as the primary build will fit right in.

31034 Future Flyer has the best robot build I've seen from a CREATOR set as the main build, and two equally-impressive alternates. Definite buy.

31035 Beach Hut is a small set, but seems larger than 2104's Small Cottage. It will fit in nicely with 7346 Seaside House and 5770 Lighthouse Island.

31036 Toy and Grocery Shop is continuing the simplified modular theme from 31026 Bike Shop & Cafe. Since the CITY theme refuses to produce many buildings, I welcome these shops. The alt builds for this one look very interesting.

Elves
While I was surprised that this theme went with the mini-doll route, I also see a treasure-trove of new and interesting parts in these sets. New maps, big seashells, scissors, a beautiful sail, and lots of purple elements mean I will be picking up at least a few of these for parts.

Friends
Not as interested in what they are offering this time around. I see some new parts, but those are being duplicated in other themes (Princess, Elves). The exception is 41097 Hot Air Balloon, which I think could work in the CITY theme with minor adjustments.

Mixels
Glad to see the rest of the Orbitonz and Glowkies, but the new Infernites leave me cold.

CITY
Oh CITY, you've got me again. After skipping large chunks from the 2014 offerings, the new 2015 subthemes already have me hooked. As I've mentioned before, I LOVED the Forest Police from 2012, and the Swamp Police could be even better. I see myself getting every set from this subtheme, which will mean lots of new crocs and snakes. Hopefully the final sets have some other new swamp creatures.

And what I thought was a construction subtheme, is actually a demolition subtheme! Some new ideas here that have me hooked. I have some of the 2009 Construction subtheme, and I'm looking forward to getting these new sets to complement those.

The Great Vehicles look "great" again, but I'm thinking that this subtheme is starting to lose its cohersion.

One observation - the female minifig count is WAY up in CITY (and other themes). Good direction LEGO!

Ultra Agents
This theme is back for a second wave, and I am more impressed from what I am seeing from this second run than I was for the first, and that is saying a lot!

One of the new features is called "Power Bricks", which seem to interact with tablets somehow. Each set has varying numbers of these elements.

Spyclops is back and has been reimagined for the Ultra series, and the new main villain "AntiMatter" looks very interesting. Lots of new vehicles in black and trans-blue to complement the first wave. The UltraCopter looks amazing (and huge)!

Pirates
Well, I've already expressed some thoughts about the return of Pirates. Glad to see them back, but I wish they could be more than this. And where is the classic monkey?!? I am also holding out hope that the shark in the 70413 Brick Bounty will be the larger type that came with the 2009 pirate ship, as it is very expensive to acquire now.

Star Wars
I think it is pretty clear to LEGO-GAF that I am a LEGO Star Wars fan (and collector). I'll be getting all of these, but the standouts for me are 75075 Microfighter AT-AT (chibi AT-AT!), 75079 Shadow Troopers, 75081 Skyhopper (only one Tusken Raider? - ARGH!), 75082 TIE Advanced Prototype (HOT!) and 75083 AT-DP (love them walkers!) EDIT - and the Wookie Gunship, how could I have forgotten that!

DC Super Heroes
Green Lantern! Sinestro! Darkseid! Grodd! Braniac! Bat-Mech! No more Batman in every set! This is the year DC cuts loose, and I am loving it. Hoping we get a big D2C minifig-based Justice League set this year as well.

Rootbeer

Banned
I also found the Friends Animals Series 5 polybags at TRU yesterday, forgot to mention. We may be a full series behind some other territories, but since they are low priority buys for me anyway, i'll let it slide. :p

I might have to buy another Brown Bear, it's really cute.

Targets around me are still in the process of rolling out Halloween stuff. So, haven't found the polybags that are supposedly going to be in the Halloween section.

I am VERY impressed with the section they are setting up at one Target in particular though. They are dedicating 5 isles of space to nothing but Halloween, it is the biggest I have ever seen them do. Already lots of really cool stuff is out for purchase.

In other news... LEGO approved my parts request for the new brown Kanan pieces:

14991555019_c07634dbf5_z-500x368.jpg

I was not able to find the head piece on the website, so I described it and they added it to my order manually. If you're like me and grabbed this set when it was still containing the black hair parts, you might want to get the brown ones if it means anything to you.

I hope you can find one. Follow the advice in the earlier reply to you. If you want one, now is the time before the price goes up even more. You could be able to score one at retail or close to retail if you snag one soon. Unfortunately, I am sure some sellers out there are scalping a bit because they know Halloween is close and more people will be seeking this out.

I think it would be a good investment since we don't know if LEGO will ever revisit a horror/spooky theme again anytime soon, let alone such a wicked looking haunted house.
What would I do without brickset! I lose track of what I own pretty easily these days. I never thought it would happen, but it's a lot to keep track of. Very valuable site. The mobile version is great too, or get one of the many apps that plug-in to brickset. I use brick collector on android so I can reference stuff on the go.

How many sets?

I think it was around 135 sets. I feel like there might be some I missed? I also accidentally started adding sets that I had from when I was a kid (original X-Wing, for example) and some are multiples too like Mixels.

Then there are things like the three $5 Star Slicers I scored, and the $2 T-Rex Hunter set that throw the "spent" column completely out of whack, so not even just halving the current total gives anywhere near a correct idea of how much I spent. Guess it gives a nice idea of what my recent collection is worth, though.

Rootbeer

Banned
Anyone serious into LEGO has probably gotten a good chunk of their collection at below MSRP, so yeah it's not very valuable for tracking what you have spent. But it's clearly valuable in a lot of other ways.

Make sure you get a rebrickable account too... you can link it to your brickset account and it keeps your sets synced between the sites. Then you can visit a brickset entry and see some really cool stats.

Want to know if you already own enough bricks to build a set you don't own? It will tell you what parts you are missing, which sets contain each part, the rarity of the parts, links to buy the parts on bricklink, etc.

Oh look at that... I am only missing 6% of the parts I need to build my own Hoth Echo Base :d Most are minifigures though.

Anyone serious into LEGO has probably gotten a good chunk of their collection at below MSRP, so yeah it's not very valuable for tracking what you have spent. But it's clearly valuable in a lot of other ways.

Make sure you get a rebrickable account too... you can link it to your brickset account and it keeps your sets synced between the sites. Then you can visit a brickset entry and see some really cool stats.

Want to know if you already own enough bricks to build a set you don't own? It will tell you what parts you are missing, which sets contain each part, the rarity of the parts, links to buy the parts on bricklink, etc.

Ok, that last part is amazing. Holy cow.

Edit: Ok linked them and Rebrickable says I have 127 sets. I assume that's including multiples of the same, but it's excluding things I marked on BrickSet like Lego video games and keychains.

Rootbeer

Banned
One thing to keep in mind is rebrickable may not count sets that it does not have piece counts for, like newer sets. They will add those as time allows once LEGO makes the piece list available.

Welp... Today is Bionicle goodness. I feel my normally regular lego money will be conducted towards mostly Bionicle once again.

It's odd though that Bionicle pulled me back into Lego when it launched and now I came back again and it shows up again.

Experien

After watching the latest TMNT and owning Groot...I wish Leatherhead was a brick built figure and not just a slightly larger upper body.

Ryuuroden

Ok, that last part is amazing. Holy cow.

Edit: Ok linked them and Rebrickable says I have 127 sets. I assume that's including multiples of the same, but it's excluding things I marked on BrickSet like Lego video games and keychains.

Yeah this was the next thing I was going to tell you to do. The whole aim in the end was Rebrickable. It will expand the sets you can build by many multiples. You will now be able to figure out what you need to build old sets and such for fun without having to buy the whole sets or sometimes without even having to buy more lego. Basically its an awesome site. I add all my PAB pickups to rebrickable in the loose parts owned section as well. There is even a section on rebrickable that will show you numbers of each part you have in your collection so if you are building a moc and need a certain piece you can check if you have it and which set it is in if its on one of your displayed sets and so on. Every serious LEGO builder needs a brickset and rebrickable account. I wish I hadn't waited as long as I did to create mine which is why I bring it up to new people out of their dark ages when they seem to go all in asap.

I also found the Friends Animals Series 5 polybags at TRU yesterday, forgot to mention. We may be a full series behind some other territories, but since they are low priority buys for me anyway, i'll let it slide. :p

I might have to buy another Brown Bear, it's really cute.

I really hope it was just a regional delay and they make their way to the LEGO stores. Good to hear they made it to TRU as I'm hopeful it will make its way to the other retail stores.

Never knew Costco sold Lego before.

Reminds me of the old veriety packs is get at Kmart as a kid. Really cool to get castle along with pirates and city stuff.

Makes me miss those flip open boxes a lot too.

One question for everyone: What was your first Lego set?

Mine (don't know number) was a small set with a pirate, a monkey, and a small yellow sandy area that had a treasure chest, gold, abd foliage. My parents bought me it and I earned one piece a day for every day I was able to tie my shoes :D

After that I was hooked. I still have some of of the parts from it but the monkey is falling apart.

Rootbeer

Banned
My seriously don't remember what my first was. I got several around the same time. It was circa 1988 and I acquired some combination of space, medieval and pirates within a short span.

I had some forestmen and wolfpack. It was likely one of those because I always loved stuff from that period even from a young age. Probably because I watched tons of He Man as a small boy. And naturally my fondness for it would only continue as I got heavily into D&D and console JRPGs not long after.

If I had to guess, it's likely my first set was 6066 Camouflaged Outpost.

I no longer own my childhood sets. Boo.

Oh, and I love those vintage monkeys. I need to bricklink some.

Man I still need to grab the Wolfpack logo for a shirt I'm making. Anyone have a hi-rez photo of the logo on a figure or shield?

And yes, classic monkey is best monkey

Top Bottom