• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Fowler

I thought I'd try some different hair for TDK Catwoman, opinions?

catwomanhair.jpg

I like the one on the right, even though the left is more accurate.

And only $50 to spend? Another vote for Ghostbusters here!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Interesting notes on the Town Hall, I started building it not too long ago and I loved the build of the first floor. I need to finish it.

Man, when I start a build that's basically all that I work on until completion. Don't think I could ever leave one half done.

]blacky[;131289611 said:
I am 33 and want to start with LEGO but don’t know how. Never played with it as a child.

I love the games, the movie and the look of the small figures. Manly I am interested in the Superheroes- and the Star Wars- Series. I actually do not have a lot of money but want something difficult to built because I am thinking, when I am done building up a set, I have a set on my table – nothing less, nothing more. The only function then is too look good in my living room.

What should I buy?

Modulars are a good start. UCS Star Wars sets are good too.
http://brickset.com/sets/theme-Advanced-Models/subtheme-Modular-Buildings

As for Super Heroes, some sets I really get mostly for the minifigs.
This is a good comprehensive list. Be sure to sort by year high to lowest. Most of the older ones are no longer available and some of the newest on the lists haven't come out yet.
http://brickset.com/sets/theme-DC-Comics-Super-Heroes
http://brickset.com/sets/theme-Marvel-Super-Heroes

I highly recommend Hulk Lab Smash for the minifigs. Set is a playset, but makes a decent backdrop for displaying the minifigs. Modulars are even better for setting up a super hero battle.

I thought I'd try some different hair for TDK Catwoman, opinions?

catwomanhair.jpg

I also finally got around to finally making those extra ghostbusters characters a reality

ghostbusterscharacters.jpg

Walter Peck, Dana Barrett/The Gatekeeper, Louis Tully/The Keymaster.

Dana still need some work, I need to do her skirt/dress thing. I need to redo Louis Tully's shirt decal too as it's flaked off a bit :/

The right Catwoman is sexier....er...better.
Those other ones are super accurate. Makes me wish they had a set with just those minifigs. No new moulds needed also.

neonglow

]blacky[;131294126 said:
I want to spent 50 Bucks, but as I can see this seems to be a very small budget for LEGO.

Maybe I should try eBay? But maybe there will be missing some bricks. :S

$50 will get you a medium sized set. I'd also suggest the ECTO-1 but you should check out getting the entire Star Wars Microfighters series. There's 6 total and they all come with a minifigure for $10 each. They make a nice display all lined up on the shelf.

http://brickset.com/sets/theme-Star-Wars/year-2014/subtheme-MicroFighters

Rootbeer

Banned
To those more experienced in bricklink...

I'm searching out some minifigs and I notice every now and then I will come across a store that has RIDICULOUS amounts of figures. Is this any cause for concern? Should I see this as a red flag or is it normal?

For example one guy has 97 Gamoras from the recent GotG sets... how in the...? Doesn't sound extreme enough? Okay how about 97 Queasy Kittys from the $250 Sea Cow LEGO Movie set. 94 White Lab Coat female Scientists from the recent (and very hard to find) Ideas set. I'm not even sure that's possible.

And he has ridiculous numbers of MANY other figs that are not cheap to acquire. They are not from keychains either.

Would you buy from a seller like this? I guess my biggest concern is they could be some sort of clone products... or stolen.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Finally getting round to building my Exo Suit!

I have no doubt it'll be awesome once finished, but the build isnt much fun at all really :(

ghostmind

I'm searching out some minifigs and I notice every now and then I will come across a store that has RIDICULOUS amounts of figures. Is this any cause for concern? Should I see this as a red flag or is it normal?

For example one guy has 97 Gamoras from the recent GotG sets... how in the...? Doesn't sound extreme enough? Okay how about 97 Queasy Kittys from the $250 Sea Cow LEGO Movie set. 94 White Lab Coat female Scientists from the recent (and very hard to find) Ideas set. I'm not even sure that's possible.

And he has ridiculous numbers of MANY other figs that are not cheap to acquire. They are not from keychains either.

Would you buy from a seller like this? I guess my biggest concern is they could be some sort of clone products... or stolen.

The seller has a rock-solid rating with lots of transactions...

However, there is something very wrong about the quantities this person has in stock for all these different minifigs.

I don't think they are knock-offs, but I do think they may have been acquired from the plant in Mexico in a less than standard fashion.

What's the price? Easy to just buy one as a test? Although it does sound fishy it is possible he got them via legit means.

Probably not though.

Rootbeer

Banned
I may buy from them because they have a couple figures I want at good prices. This particular seller tends to be one of the cheapest in the USA for items they carry. Usually within the top 5 cheapest, so it's not that bad.

wetwired

I like the one on the right, even though the left is more accurate.

And only $50 to spend? Another vote for Ghostbusters here!

The right Catwoman is sexier....er...better.
Those other ones are super accurate. Makes me wish they had a set with just those minifigs. No new moulds needed also.

Yeah that was my conundrum, left is more accurate, right looks better, I think I'll go with right

DemiMatt

I can't speak to the long out of print "original three", but pet shop is easily my favorite. You will find a lot of love for the set here.

Fortunately my GF bought the Green Grocer when it came out, we're just missing the original 2, and the Fire Brigade. I'm excited we bought the Pet Shop this past week for the White Spaceman, plan on getting the Parisian Cafe next.

Updated ranking:

1) Green Grocer
2) Parisian Restaurant
3) Pet Shop
4) Café Corner
5) Fire Brigade
6) Grand Emporium
7) Town Hall
8) Market Street

Pet Shop is awesome, build it now! Then buy PR, which is by far the best one available right now.

Bought it and yes PR will be next. Is the Fire Brigade worth getting after market? Also what about the Palace Cinema?

Man, when I start a build that's basically all that I work on until completion. Don't think I could ever leave one half done.

I wish I had the time for that. It took us a week to finish the first floor of The Town Hall. We hope to finish it soon so we can work on the Pet Shop!

Also I second the Hulk Lab Smash & Batman with Joker Steam Roller sets. They were two of my favorite sets of this year for the price.

I still need to get the Xmen Sentinal set.

I'm sure many of you have seen it, but this is a gorgeous MOC. I wish I had the patience
and talent
to produce things like this. Many more pics at the link

Dude wtf how is that even possible. Someone said he may be getting them from a plant in Mexico? That's crazy. Cool because that would make them real, but also... not cool cause maybe they're stolen?

He has like 30 Hydra guards and they're $4 each. That.. is incredibly tempting. Get like 4 of them and then the actual set and have a tidy little army.

If he has solid ratings I wouldn't worry about it. Some sellers buy vast amounts of stock take it apart and sell it.
I always wonder how much one can make as a professional bricklinker.

I'm sure many of you have seen it, but this is a gorgeous MOC. I wish I had the patience
and talent
and money!

Caladrius

Finally got home from a trip. Snagged all of the series 3 mixels on the way.

Unpacking everything made me realize that I really need sealed containers for my LEGO pieces next time. The movers did not handle them with care at all, and if they hadn't been shrink-wrapped I would have lost somewhere on the order or 600 pieces minimum.

and talent

Holy mother of SNOT.

Dude wtf how is that even possible. Someone said he may be getting them from a plant in Mexico? That's crazy. Cool because that would make them real, but also... not cool cause maybe they're stolen?

He has like 30 Hydra guards and they're $4 each. That.. is incredibly tempting. Get like 4 of them and then the actual set and have a tidy little army.

There's like a .5% chance that they weren't misappropriated if they came from the factory. I can't imagine Lego letting an employee buy that much off of them.(If factories even let employees do that to begin with.)

As somebody said above, he's probably just buying the sets en masse and selling the parts off at a mildly inflated cost for a profit.

You guys made me search and I was able to find a guy selling the Hydra Henchmen for $3.10 on sale on Bricklink. I bought the last 7, sorry. :(

I checked out the Bricklink seller you were talking about. To give him the benefit of doubt, he could have gotten it from someone else who got the items is non-traditional manners. These are items most likely from the factory. He has 44 green classic minifigs and 94 research assistants from highly restricted and limited availability LEGO Idea sets!!! Why would he have ~50 each of only two of the four available Ghostbuster minifigs? 20 UCS Tumbler Jokers? 100 Donatellos, but no other turtles for sale? Lack of LEGO elements for sale except for minifig related items (perhaps he sells the bricks in bulk on eBay?).
You can't spin it any other way IMO.

There was a seller on eBay who was selling minifigs before they even came out in retail. And he would sell the same ones over and over for weeks. He's still selling, but no longer has auctions.

If the seller has good ratings and they are not scamming people, I would possibly buy from the seller. There's a small chance seller got those items legit.

Fortunately my GF bought the Green Grocer when it came out, we're just missing the original 2, and the Fire Brigade. I'm excited we bought the Pet Shop this past week for the White Spaceman, plan on getting the Parisian Cafe next.

Bought it and yes PR will be next. Is the Fire Brigade worth getting after market? Also what about the Palace Cinema?

Fire Brigade is worth getting if you get it now before it escalates further.

I don't have Palace Cinema yet, it's pretty low on my list.

]blacky[;131289611 said:
I am 33 and want to start with LEGO but don’t know how. Never played with it as a child.

I love the games, the movie and the look of the small figures. Manly I am interested in the Superheroes- and the Star Wars- Series. I actually do not have a lot of money but want something difficult to built because I am thinking, when I am done building up a set, I have a set on my table – nothing less, nothing more. The only function then is too look good in my living room.

What should I buy?
Star Wars set for >$50 suitable for display.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005VPRG3S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Do it. Now.

Zerojul

]blacky[;131289611 said:
What should I buy?
Another vote for Ecto-1. Great build, nice set of minifigs and amazing display piece. I think you can't go wrong with that one.

Rootbeer

Banned
Thanks for the bricklink comments guys... I'm still feeling out the situation. You never know what you will run into on there! It's a lot of fun, that's for sure.

Let's start the Halloween season off right with a true piece of horror. I should have thought of this...

Ironmask

CMF12 get! (Almost, 15 of 16.... stupid genie!) Can we all agree that the chinese factory sucks hard? The yellow in the hands is terribly light and feels cheap, the musketteer manly body is.... orangish?!

sFUMeZR.jpg

Krilekk

Banned
Spaceship spaceship SPACESHIP!!! Oh my god it's so gorgeous. The size of this thing is incredibly awesome. Thank you Toys r Us for 20 % off LEGO Movie sets. And thank you LEGO for finally bringing this set to Germany (it was a LEGO Store/S@H exclusive until ten days ago). It's so slick. And blue. And has great minifigs. And it's a goddamn monster of a spaceship dominating my TV table now. Love it.

Rootbeer

Banned
Grats :) I still can't get over how awesome the wizard is.

I want to ask the group a question. What is the most you have spent on an ebay/bricklink/craigslist/garage sale/other second hand LEGO purchase? And can you tell us about what it contained? I have been eyeing some very HUGE lots lately and it's tempting, but then I think about all the sorting that will be involved... it would be a huge (yet awesomely fun) task!

Rootbeer

Banned
Probably... there will be more firehouses of various nature. There may not be many haunted houses. Although with the popularity of the line I'm hoping they bring it back in some form.
I think you're right. I'm trying to find one for 250. . . but it's a bit tough.

REALLY? I paid $179 for mine just a couple weeks ago... people don't mess around with LEGO prices, sheesh.

Grats :) I still can't get over how awesome the wizard is.

I want to ask the group a question. What is the most you have spent on an ebay/bricklink/craigslist/garage sale/other second hand LEGO purchase? And can you tell us about what it contained? I have been eyeing some very HUGE lots lately and it's tempting, but then I think about all the sorting that will be involved... it would be a huge (yet awesomely fun) task!

$575 for about 80 sets big and small (all complete, bagged, with instructions) and another 40 minifigs. Nothing too rare. Lots of Ninjago, super heroes, Star Wars. The highlight was creator lighthouse.

For bulk, shoot for $5/lb (excluding instruction weight) and $1 a minifig for common stuff.

Rootbeer

Banned
$575 for about 80 sets big and small (all complete, bagged, with instructions) and another 40 minifigs. Nothing too rare. Lots of Ninjago, super heroes, Star Wars. The highlight was creator treehouse.

For bulk, shoot for $5/lb (excluding instruction weight) and $1 a minifig for common stuff.

Thanks for the tips. Hmm well I'm eyeing one that is a little higher than that Buuut... it includes some rare stuff. But NO instructions!!! It's a tough call for me to make.

Krilekk

Banned
Probably... there will be more firehouses of various nature. There may not be many haunted houses. Although with the popularity of the line I'm hoping they bring it back in some form.

REALLY? I paid $179 for mine just a couple weeks ago... people don't mess around with LEGO prices, sheesh.

The fire station exploded from 150 to 250 within a week after it was OOP, so yeah. I'm thinking about buying a second HH after seeing it back in stock (was sold out before) at S@H Germany. It will easily reach 300 due to all those Green Grocer parts and being a nice set that's not gonna be replaced by something similar anytime soon.

DemiMatt

The fire station exploded from 150 to 250 within a week after it was OOP, so yeah. I'm thinking about buying a second HH after seeing it back in stock (was sold out before) at S@H Germany. It will easily reach 300 due to all those Green Grocer parts and being a nice set that's not gonna be replaced by something similar anytime soon.

Yeah the HH islike 250 - 400 depending on the reseller. If anyone has one at their local store and wants to ship to California I'd be forever happy :)

I have the option to buy the Fire Brigade for 275 but I think I'll get the HH first. Hopefully yhe FB will be there later.

Thanks for the tips. Hmm well I'm eyeing one that is a little higher than that Buuut... it includes some rare stuff. But NO instructions!!! It's a tough call for me to make.

Instructions aren't a big deal if you have tablet or laptop. 1/2 the time I use digital PDF versions of the instructions. Brickset has links to instructions for newer sets which is from LEGO site. I have no idea how far back they go though.

I bought some used stuff before but due to my OCD it was too much work for me. I washed the whole lot before would sort them. I actually keep them separate from my LEGO I bought "new". I read somewhere that $6/lb is a great deal and a rough rule of thumb. If it's known to have rare sets, to have complete sets, and not excessively rough play then go higher.

When they are complete or near complete sets it's easier to price.

If you buy the stuff, I have links on cleaning them. Let me know and I'll post them again.

My first 2000+ piece set. This box is massive.

A0E35D47-E5C1-4CD8-A29C-C6F3BF519A39_zpsztedzorg.jpg

Congrats! I still have mine in my backlog.

That awkward moment when your roommate's friend opens your door without knocking and sees you playing with a mountain of Lego....
I wish they caught me masturbating instead

That awkward moment when your roommate's friend opens your door without knocking and sees you playing with a mountain of Lego....
I wish they caught me masturbating instead

There are different levels.
i.e.
- playing with a Friends set and pretending the minidolls are talking to each other giggling
- building an awesome looking UCS or modular set

I have LEGO at my work rectangular habitat and I'm not too embarassed. What exactly were you doing with said mountain of LEGO?

Top Bottom