• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

I miss when they put alt builds on the back of the box, was looking at some old boxes of mine (Or remains that is, I cut them up and kept the interesting parts) and thought how cool seeing some of the alt models was.

Another thing I really miss...Idea books! Some of the older ones were just awesome to thumb through...I need to buy them but still, why haven't we gotten Idea Books again?

mojiimbo

I miss when they put alt builds on the back of the box, was looking at some old boxes of mine (Or remains that is, I cut them up and kept the interesting parts) and thought how cool seeing some of the alt models was.

Another thing I really miss...Idea books! Some of the older ones were just awesome to thumb through...I need to buy them but still, why haven't we gotten Idea Books again?
Not sure how similar it is to the old ones but I've seen these around.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0756686067/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1465414126/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That's totally what I figured as well. 2 years ago they undershipped and last year they made way too many. I can still find 2012 advent calendars in stores. It is very likely they want to avoid that this year. They just haven't found the happy medium.

Not only did they over ship last year, the price was $10 higher. Double whammy.

Not only did I pick up one set for one goddaughter, but picked up another set for my other one.

For the elder one:

For the toddler:

And I picked up a keychain for me:

Chuckie

LEGO Gaf, I need your help. A long time ago I saw in one of the LEGO topics, some cool way to display minifigs in IKEA frames.
Now I can still find pics of those on the interwebs...but if I recall correctly...on GAF we also had instructions how to make them (and by that I mean glue bricks perfectly aligned. Using some frame I think.

Can anyone tell me where I can find those instructions?

Second try ;)

The difference between the old idea books and those new ones is that the old ones actually gave step by step instructions for the projects. The new ones just give vague ideas or some cutaways to let you figure them out.

Having said that, the LEGO Play Book is one of the best books out there for ideas. So wonderful.

Nicely done!

Yep, couldn't resist as originally I was going to give the younger one a pop-up book of The Little Prince (it's one of my favorite books) but since they had the Duplo Little Mermaid set... Bye book, hello Duplo lol.

I spent for the hedgehog keychain to get the pick-a-brick bonus.

Chuckie

While that is indeed the thing I want to make, I thought there was also some instructional 'post' on how to do it. How to align the the bricks perfectly.
Iirc someone made a frame you could put on the back of that Ribba....the insert the white bricks with glue...and then remove the frame..leaving the white bricks perfectly aligned.

I also wonder what to use to glue the white bricks on

While that is indeed the thing I want to make, I thought there was also some instructional 'post' on how to do it. How to align the the bricks perfectly.
Iirc someone made a frame you could put on the back of that Ribba....the insert the white bricks with glue...and then remove the frame..leaving the white bricks perfectly aligned.

I wrote a detailed instruction post once, I will try and find it.

found it

Ok, so something of an image bomb, explaining how I made the minifig frames.

Requires:
Ribba 23x23 cm^2 Frame (white)
thickish white cardboard >23x23 cm^2
Prittstick glue
cutter
superglue
A bunch of old LEGO
16 white inverted 2x2 slopes

Step 1:
Take apart the frame and use the pritt stick to glue the cardboard to the back wood panel.

Step 2:
Cut out the white cardboard along the sides, paying attention not to cut to much away from the "missing corner".

Step 3:
Use your (preferably) old lego to build a frame as follows, the dimensions are chosen to create a perfect fit for a minifig series of 16 minifigs. Add flat tile plates to the openings to accommodate smooth brick entry.

Step 4:
Align the lego frame with the bottom of the white back plane and horizontally centre it as well as possible.

Step 5:
Prepare the inverted slopes with a flat tile on top and get the superglue ready.

Step 6:
Add a small drop of superglue to the back of the inverted slope and carefully insert it into the ready made holes, be sure not to use to much glue or you risk gluing your whole structure to the paper. Less is more!

Step 7:
Due to the limited amount of glue used in step 6 some of the slopes might not stick to the background after removing the LEGO scaffolding. These can then be added one by one by using a small scaffolding (shown left) using the stuck slopes as reference.

Step 8:
All slopes should now be securely fastned and the flat tiles removed, position and distribute the minifigs as you desire.

neonglow

Does anyone else get the feeling that the after Christmas clearances this year will be underwhelming? I went to a couple stores this weekend and the LEGO shelves didn't have much sets left.

On another note, does anyone want to give some KRE-O Micro Changers a try? They're $3.30 each at Amazon for a 4 pack so not much more than the cost of a minifigure.

The LEGO aisle at the Target near home looks like the Road Warrior landscape. Just barren with scraps that everyone is fighting over. Only place that seems to ever have stock on anything is TRU.

Even if there were after Christmas sales, I have a feeling the resellers would be all over it so fast, I'd have no hope of a deal. But really I don't think there will be many as before. Doubt Lego cares much for them.

neonglow

The LEGO aisle at the Target near home looks like the Road Warrior landscape. Just barren with scraps that everyone is fighting over. Only place that seems to ever have stock on anything is TRU.

The TRU around me was also kinda sparse with sets but that could be because of the recent 50% sale last week. I don't know if stores are more conservative with their orders or if LEGO is just more popular these days.

The TRU around me was also kinda sparse with sets but that could be because of the recent 50% sale last week. I don't know if stores are more conservative with their orders or if LEGO is just more popular these days.

Granted, I have not hit TRU in a week or so. Might stop by tomorrow just to see how bad it is. Then to Target after for a comparison.

I know where I work we were cleaned out hard of what little we carried. I kept trying to order in stuff before the holidays so we could be stocked up like many other locations for the retailer I work for, but they would always deny my orders since I am not at a location that carries lots of toys like LEGO. We always get a VERY limited selection compared to other stores, and it is annoying because we could sell it all if they would give it to us.

ghostmind

I went by TRU yesterday to see if they had the new Friends sets, but instead they had no Friends sets. An entire aisle of them had been stripped bare.

neonglow

I went to the LEGO store yesterday to pick up a couple of the Valentine Teddy bears and found out they had the little eagle polybag on clearance for 98 cents each. Building it in person is much better than the image in the package. I was surprised the bird had feet and it's kinda clever how they used flower petals as the leg.

ghostmind

I went to the LEGO store yesterday to pick up a couple of the Valentine Teddy bears and found out they had the little eagle polybag on clearance for 98 cents each. Building it in person is much better than the image in the package. I was surprised the bird had feet and it's kinda clever how they used flower petals as the leg.

The Valentine bears are already out at the LEGO store? Well, I know where I am going this week.

Hope they have the eagle poly on clearance at my location as well - that's a nice companion for the larger Creator eagle.

ghostmind

LEGO clearing house this season:

Jabba's Palace is OOP. Battle of Hoth becomes one of the shortest-lived Star Wars sets.

Lone Ranger Constitution Train, Silver Mine Shootout, and Colby City showdown appear to be done.

Crater Creeper is the first Galaxy Squad set to go OOP.

Mini-Modulars are gone.

The Architecture Studio has already gone OOP.

Lots of speculation about how much Grand Emporium has left in the tank.

If anyone is still looking for the Quinjet - S@H currently has it on sale for $56. I don't think it will remain available for long.

neonglow

Jabba's Palace is OOP. Battle of Hoth becomes one of the shortest-lived Star Wars sets.

Lone Ranger Constitution Train, Silver Mine Shootout, and Colby City showdown appear to be done.

Mini-Modulars are gone.

If anyone is still looking for the Quinjet - S@H currently has it on sale for $56. I don't think it will remain available for long.

Crazy that Architecture Studio was so short lived. It lasted for 6 months after such a big promo?

neonglow

I've been seriously out of the loop, what Modulars are still current?

The only set retired this year so far is Fire Brigade. Grand Emporium might become retired but it hasn't happened yet. You still have Pet Shop, Palace Cinema, Town Hall and on January, Parisian Restaurant.

The only set retired this year so far is Fire Brigade. Grand Emporium might become retired but it hasn't happened yet. You still have Pet Shop, Palace Cinema, Town Hall and on January, Parisian Restaurant.

Oh the manatees, next year will be expensive if I don't want to lose track....

Rootbeer

Banned
my local Target has some nice sales, saw Duel on Geonosis for $30 (plus 5% red card discount) and a few other SW sets marked down. heading back there today... everytime this happens I find some great deals on clearance at my store, even sets that other stores don't seem to get on clearance. Don't know why, must be the management there.

neonglow

my local Target has some nice sales, saw Duel on Geonosis for $30 (plus 5% red card discount) and a few other SW sets marked down. heading back there today... everytime this happens I find some great deals on clearance at my store, even sets that other stores don't seem to get on clearance. Don't know why, must be the management there.

Duel on Geonosis seems like a dud set to me probably since it's a playset. I'm just waiting on the 50% clearance before I get one.

Ryuuroden

well so far a lot of the sets they told me that were going out of print when I asked a friend who works at LEGO, have started to actually do that. If that holds out than Town Hall doesn't have much of a life left as that was one of the sets they named as ending production.

well so far a lot of the sets they told me that were going out of print when I asked a friend who works at LEGO, have started to actually do that. If that holds out than Town Hall doesn't have much of a life left as that was one of the sets they named as ending production.

*entering panic mode*

Does anyone else get the feeling that the after Christmas clearances this year will be underwhelming? I went to a couple stores this weekend and the LEGO shelves didn't have much sets left.

On another note, does anyone want to give some KRE-O Micro Changers a try? They're $3.30 each for a 4 pack so not much more than the cost of a minifigure.

I do. Where are they at for that price?

EDIT: nvm, duh! Photos have links.

Mini-Modulars are gone.

Oh my! I'd better grab the Grand Emporium. It looks like Town Hall will be the modular I skip. Pet Shop, Palace Cinema, and Parisian Restaurant are higher on my list.

wetwired

Mini-Modulars are gone.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO, must pick that up soon

Ryuuroden

Oh my! I'd better grab the Grand Emporium. It looks like Town Hall will be the modular I skip. Pet Shop, Palace Cinema, and Parisian Restaurant are higher on my list.

I honesty think that grand emporium will stick around until the next corner modular but that is just my own opinion. I haven't heard otherwise, so follow your heart.

Norfair

I wish they had a book like this for duplo. I bought my daughter a few duplo sets and one of them came with a small fold out catalog. A few days later she started coming out of her nap (she never sleeps during it) with a seesaw, the next day a telephone and the next day a train. It turns out she was recreating the different sets using what she had on hand. It would just be nice to have something designed around this idea as I'd like to have her keep going with this trend.

Mini-Modulars are gone.

Jabba's Palace finally OOP? Guess that will make those critics happy.

Crater Creeper already gone? Damn, that was FAST. Surprised such a small set went away first. Maybe it was the trans red window was too expensive to keep making? I dont remember it in any other sets.

And Quinjet still on clearance, but going away. BUY IT NOW, PEOPLE! So awesome.

And sad (but not unexpected) news about Lone Ranger sets.

Mega Bloks in a Lego thread but:

Size comparion video between Halo Elephant and Mammoth vehicles by JangBricks.

Pretty cool if you're into the Halo military stuff since Lego does not really offer something similar.

Burn 'im at the stake!!! Just kidding, this thread has been open to other brick brands for casual discussion.

EDIT: Just skimmed the video. Those are nice looking GIANT vehicles.

Jabba's Palace finally OOP? Guess that will make those critics happy.

Crater Creeper already gone? Damn, that was FAST. Surprised such a small set went away first. Maybe it was the trans red window was too expensive to keep making? I dont remember it in any other sets.

And Quinjet still on clearance, but going away. BUY IT NOW, PEOPLE! So awesome.

And sad (but not unexpected) news about Lone Ranger sets.

I think the Crater Creeper just hasn't been selling well. I should have grabbed 1 or 2 more when TRU had them for around $11.

rallaren

Burn 'im at the stake!!! Just kidding, this thread has been open to other brick brands for casual discussion.

EDIT: Just skimmed the video. Those are nice looking GIANT vehicles.
Besides MOCs (Edit: and the SW ships) they are the biggest brick sets that I have seen and that's why I posted the link. The Mammoth looks cool imo and the Elephant too with extra vehicles (even Lego ones lol).

neonglow

Add the Architecture Robie House to the OOP list. Curious to see how this and Fallingwater do in the aftermarket.

The Architecture line never really interested me due to the high prices of the early sets. I like the Space Needle but can't justify it's price. I might purchase the Eiffel Tower though.

ghostmind

The Architecture line never really interested me due to the high prices of the early sets. I like the Space Needle but can't justify it's price. I might purchase the Eiffel Tower though.

For me, it's like what Phon said - for the price I could get a modular or another large direct set. That, and I prefer minifig-scale sets.

The UN building has tempted me though.

The couple of Architecture sets I have bought (at heavy discounts mind you) I have enjoyed greatly. Those are White House, Farnsworth House, and Leaning Tower of Pisa. Robie House looks really cool, but again, for that price I could get a direct set or a modular. It just doesn't feel worth the price, even if it looks cool.

Now, for $100 I would be on it in a heartbeat.

EDIT: Robie would be a neat parts pack if you wanted dark red though. 771 dark red 1x2 plates for one thing. 235 light grey 1x1 tiles. There is almost half the piece count already.
245 clear 1x1 plates. But those you can get at PAB if you are lucky.

Ryuuroden

Add the Architecture Robie House to the OOP list. Curious to see how this and Fallingwater do in the aftermarket.

Glad I picked up the Robie house this year. I really like it aesthetically. Not the most entertaining or exciting build but definitely a great display piece. Not really a fan of Fallingwater, It just doesn't look that great to me. I think it suffers from being first of the large size architecture sets to be released.

ghostmind

So, the Robber's Hideout set got a new name:

zZyoXUC.jpg

Top Bottom