• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

flyingpig

Neo Member
I'm honestly wondering when burnout will set in for LEGO overall. Growth this year was good. The Friends was amazing and taps a new market, the Disney Princess line will build on that. Movie comes out next year. But the LEGO section at stores continues to expand and the number of sets each year continues to go up. And the number of clones multiplies endlessly.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Possible new Dewback?

xZnMPkA.jpga

giveittomecolbert.gif

I'm honestly wondering when burnout will set in for LEGO overall. Growth this year was good. The Friends was amazing and taps a new market, the Disney Princess line will build on that. Movie comes out next year. But the LEGO section at stores continues to expand and the number of sets each year continues to go up. And the number of clones multiplies endlessly.

I believe the plastic bubble has already started to crack. LEGO is starting to eat into its own business IMO. There's a lot of sets I want, but as the Super Hero line grows and other things keep coming out, I drop sets of my list.

Speaking of Super Hero theme.

Best price yet!

$12 for a Super set! If you only like the the minifigs, that's $12 is about what you'll pay for Supermand and Wonder Woman alone. Consider the rest bonus.

"In other news, Target.com also now has LEGO Superman vs Power Armor Lex for $12 (reg.$19.99). Savings work out to be 40% off. Eligible for in-store pickup should you need it before Christmas."

http://toysnbricks.com/usa-target-storewide-extra-10-off-this-weekend/

LEGO-Superheroes-6862-Superman-vs.-Power-Armor-Lex-Toysnbricks.jpg

I put together something xmas, it was more to play around with using my new train tracks and engine but the kids have been enjoying it. Not particularly happy with how it looks but now I at least know how much space I need if I wanted to motorize anything else on tracks (I wanted to try it with my tumbler but there's not a chance everything will fit inside it.

The 2 minifigs in the back of the sleigh are my 2 kids.

Santa Sleigh by Brent Waller, on Flickr

I have a video of it in action uploading now.... will post when it's ready

That's a great sleigh!

Ponn

Banned
Turtle Power!

Turtle Lair set itself I think can display well. My least liked thing to see in sets though rears its ugly head big time in this set. The whole first bag was nothing but individual little builds that you can display around the set or inside the set like a work bench, shelves, skateboard stand and skate ramp. For kids i'm sure that's kind of cool but the only thing I liked was the cool little skate ramp and tv with seats was kind of cool. The figs of course are worth the price of admission along with some neat pieces. I know the shells on the turtle figs along with the detail on the heads is really just awesome but I really wish they could have made some kind of sheaths on the shells for their weapons like Deadpool has for his swords.

Overall I think this is a better designed playset for kids than for display but on that note I find it odd because its really fragile. Part of it just kind of crumbled apart when I was just trying to put a fig on the top level.

Now I also put together the Shredder Bike which I thought I wouldn't really care for and only wanted the figs buuuuut...

Really sharp bike. I mean its just hilariously too big for a fig but I find that charming in a way. I wouldn't mind displaying this by itself its just such a bad ass looking bike. I mean look at this.

Big F'n tire and that seat just looks vicious. And putting it together was really fun with some neat techniques. There's little stuff here and there in the build that pics don't do justice that looks cool up close on inspection.

Donny's motor-skateboard-thingie was..eh..it is what it is. Shredders gonna F%#K his board up. Vroom Vroom.

And there we go, excited to get the Baxter robot now and for the 2014 sets.

Ninja, Ninja Rap! Ninja, Ninja Rap!

Go Ninja Go Ninja Go!

Ponn

Banned
I love the turtles minfigs but the sets are so terrible. Alas I'll never get my hands on them.

The figs are indeed awesome. So far the two I would suggest are cheap ones (Shredder Bike and Kraang Lab) for that Kraang with a cool little mech and mikey and Shredder with the best turtle Donny with a bad ass bike. Next to Transformers the Turtles shaped my childhood so I have a real soft spot for these sets. I'm probably going to get the Shellraiser set now just to see how that one and the robot fairs. I can't really recommend the Turtle Lair to everyone, it just doesn't display too good and is very flimsy. It is a cheap way to get alot of good figs though.

I'm really hoping for a Foot Ninja army builder set out of the 2014 sets.

ghostmind

Lots of reports of people being able to pick up LEGO Movie sets, and the CMF series from TRU now. YMMV, but we are about a week out from them also being available in LEGO stores and S@H.

ghostmind

on the note of older lego sets, what's a good way to clean legos? especially the printed ones as well as the sticker ones?

As much as I am mentioning his videos, it may be worth contacting JANG through his JANGBRICKS YouTube channel, to see if he would get back to you on what he uses. The guy is constantly ordering old parts from Bricklink, and often mentions cleaning them in his videos, so I bet he has some good techniques.

ruxtpin

Banned
Expect a reveal on January 11th, from BrickFair in Alabama. Will it be the Sandcrawler, or the Simpsons?

Hype rising. If there's a 10XXX Sandcrawler, Slave 1, or AT-AT reveal I will flip out like a ninja. If it's a new UCS Falcon, I will flip out while I'm flipping out.

As much as I am mentioning his videos, it may be worth contacting JANG through his JANGBRICKS YouTube channel, to see if he would get back to you on what he uses. The guy is constantly ordering old parts from Bricklink, and often mentions cleaning them in his videos, so I bet he has some good techniques.

How easy is he to contact? I've become a big fan of his show ever since joining this thread.

Wife got me the AT-RT for Christmas. A set I was eyeing for a bit just for fun, but was not salivating over. Looking forward to it.

Finally finished Dol Guldur Battle tonight. Was basically doing one bag a night then hitting bed.
Not a bad set, but not that good either. The mini figs are very good, and it is a good parts pack, but nothing really special about the build or the look of it when done.

on the note of older lego sets, what's a good way to clean legos? especially the printed ones as well as the sticker ones?

I don't think there is a good way to clean sticker pieces.

I did researched this when I got my childhood LEGO from my parents about two years ago. Pretty much soaking in soapy water is best way to clean LEGO bricks. All my old bricks had that nice new feeling. Some people put them in the washer in a pillow case, but I worry about scratching and dulling of the corners. A really soft toothbrush can be used to cleaning off tougher residue.

Disinfecting is a bit different. I tried a highly diluted bleach solution (1 tablespoon per gallon of warm water) and soaked for several minutes. Some people don't like this method for fear it will discolor the bricks. There wasn't any noticeable discoloration when I tried it, but they were older bricks I bought from a thrift shop that I didn't care too much about.

Here's a technique I haven't used for yellowing bricks, but will try sometime.

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2009/...cks-to-make-classic-space-sets-look-new-news/

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

P.S. Do not heat the LEGO bricks to dry them or use very hot water. Just use a towel then use a fan to blow dry them.

Oh yeah, make sure to rinse them after soaking. I used a colander as many sites recommended.

The figs are indeed awesome. So far the two I would suggest are cheap ones (Shredder Bike and Kraang Lab) for that Kraang with a cool little mech and mikey and Shredder with the best turtle Donny with a bad ass bike. Next to Transformers the Turtles shaped my childhood so I have a real soft spot for these sets. I'm probably going to get the Shellraiser set now just to see how that one and the robot fairs. I can't really recommend the Turtle Lair to everyone, it just doesn't display too good and is very flimsy. It is a cheap way to get alot of good figs though.

I'm really hoping for a Foot Ninja army builder set out of the 2014 sets.

Those basic foot soldiers are very cheap on Bricklink. They easily go for under $2. I just checked and one guy in USA is selling them $1.50 each and has 80 of them.

I'm in the boat that most of the turtle sets are not very good looking. Despite that, I do regret not buying more of the $25 and under turtle sets during the crazy Amazon, Walmart, and Target sales. I want multiples of the turtles minifigs and seeing the next wave of turtles, I don't really care for the new turtle prints.

wetwired

I don't think there is a good way to clean sticker pieces.

I did researched this when I got my childhood LEGO from my parents about two years ago. Pretty much soaking in soapy water is best way to clean LEGO bricks. All my old bricks had that nice new feeling. Some people put them in the washer in a pillow case, but I worry about scratching and dulling of the corners. A really soft toothbrush can be used to cleaning off tougher residue.

Disinfecting is a bit different. I tried a highly diluted bleach solution (1 tablespoon per gallon of warm water) and soaked for several minutes. Some people don't like this method for fear it will discolor the bricks. There wasn't any noticeable discoloration when I tried it, but they were older bricks I bought from a thrift shop that I didn't care too much about.

Here's a technique I haven't used for yellowing bricks, but will try sometime.

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2009/...cks-to-make-classic-space-sets-look-new-news/

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

P.S. Do not heat the LEGO bricks to dry them or use very hot water. Just use a towel then use a fan to blow dry them.

Oh yeah, make sure to rinse them after soaking. I used a colander as many sites recommended.

Those basic foot soldiers are very cheap on Bricklink. They easily go for under $2. I just checked and one guy in USA is selling them $1.50 each and has 80 of them.

I'm in the boat that most of the turtle sets are not very good looking. Despite that, I do regret not buying more of the $25 and under turtle sets during the crazy Amazon, Walmart, and Target sales. I want multiples of the turtles minifigs and seeing the next wave of turtles, I don't really care for the new turtle prints.

I've done the pillowcase technique, I wouldn't recommend it. The bricks came out looking rougher and less shiny.

After that I instead had a bowl of warm soapy water and one cold tap water. It took a long time, but I basically sat in front of the TV each night on the coffee table, everything laid out on a towel. Dip the brick in the soapy water, scrub with an old soft toothbrush, rinse with the cold water, leave to dry.

There is another thing I want to try, I have some microabrasive that is used for polishing plastics and acrylic. I did used it to smooth off venkmans hairpiece after filing it down and I have the feeling it would work fairly well to bring back the shine on the flat surfaces of old bricks. I've yet to actually try it though, and it wouldn't work on printed pieces.

jpatez34

Neo Member
My Sydney Opera House is finally complete!

exg2.jpg

xfl7.jpg

Absolutely amazing build, very easy to move as the whole thing is modular, looks even better when you use a Mini-fig with a camera!

Ryuuroden

If anyone here lives in the Cincinnati area, the LEGO Store there has 1x1 light grey round tile pieces which I need a small container of and it shows having the darker green large tree leaf elements. It they are really the mid green or dark green ones (not the light green) then I am also looking for a large container of those. The tree limb elements come in three shades of green as well as red.

I've done the pillowcase technique, I wouldn't recommend it. The bricks came out looking rougher and less shiny.

After that I instead had a bowl of warm soapy water and one cold tap water. It took a long time, but I basically sat in front of the TV each night on the coffee table, everything laid out on a towel. Dip the brick in the soapy water, scrub with an old soft toothbrush, rinse with the cold water, leave to dry.

There is another thing I want to try, I have some microabrasive that is used for polishing plastics and acrylic. I did used it to smooth off venkmans hairpiece after filing it down and I have the feeling it would work fairly well to bring back the shine on the flat surfaces of old bricks. I've yet to actually try it though, and it wouldn't work on printed pieces.

If the bricks are really soiled and dirty like my 30+ year old childhood ones, try soaking them overnight (I'm a hard working lazy person). It worked great for those. I only scrubbed the ones with stubborn grime and unknown residue. Soaking may work for heavily caked on dust.

Brasso metal polish is supposed to be good for removing the pad printed ink on LEGO bricks. It's also supposed to not show visible scratch marks as it's a microabrasive as well.

The one I'm really interested in is the "liquid gold" that is used to hide/fix scratch marks on trans clear pieces. This only works with the trans pieces since those are made of acrylic and the "liquid gold" is actually liquid acrylic.

http://thebrickblogger.com/2012/04/make-your-clear-lego-shine/

If anyone here lives in the Cincinnati area, the LEGO Store there has 1x1 light grey round tile pieces which I need a small container of and it shows having the darker green large tree leaf elements. It they are really the mid green or dark green ones (not the light green) then I am also looking for a large container of those. The tree limb elements come in three shades of green as well as red.

Please private message me as well if they have those tree elements (not the palm leaf ones) and you are able to get any. The LEGO stores around me limits people to 5 PAB cubs.
Much appreciated!

Ponn

Banned
My Sydney Opera House is finally complete!

Absolutely amazing build, very easy to move as the whole thing is modular, looks even better when you use a Mini-fig with a camera!

Mother of God! I really want this set but the pricetag spending that much money at once and I literally have no possible place to put it.

No problem, I still feel terrible about the shipping cost. I probably could have pack more tiles in there but I was in such a hurry that day at LEGO store.

Do you mind sharing the shipping costs? We can take conversation to the LEGO Marketplace thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699892

I'm trying to figure out the best shipping methods to keep costs down as shipping LEGO PAB cups can be expensive.

I do live in Cincy, but I don't get out to the Lego store too often. I'll keep you (and BentBricks) in mind if I end up out that way though!

Do you mind sharing the shipping costs? We can take conversation to the LEGO Marketplace thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699892

I'm trying to figure out the best shipping methods to keep costs down as shipping LEGO PAB cups can be expensive.

I empty the content into freezer bag and then ship them off in padded enveloped but going to Canada from here via first class (Washington) is more than the cost of the PAB cup. @_@ (It was about $10.00 to ship first class). I don't do much shopping on Brinklinks but is it still worth it for those of you looking for specific parts in bulk?

It has been awhile since I ship anything to Canada (I used to sell toys on eBay many years ago) and I just didn't realize how expensive it is.

As someone mention in other thread, those Priority Flat Rate Box is probably your best bet. But for international it can be cheaper going first class.

No problem, I still feel terrible about the shipping cost. I probably could have pack more tiles in there but I was in such a hurry that day at LEGO store.

It has been awhile since I ship anything to Canada (I used to sell toys on eBay many years ago) and I just didn't realize how expensive it is.

Don't worry about the shipping cost. Unless I'm ordering from a retailer that has shipping agreements, I'm used to the uplift.

Images of those Mixels sets are showing up on various sites today:

Those Mixels are great parts packs. Seems like a good way to stock up on the new ball joint parts. They're don't look too bad either as nice little fun builds.

I can already see an Admiral Ackbar MOC using the ball eyes from 41500 Flain set.

Looks like there is fire, rock, and electricity "races".

Thanks for all the cleaning techniques. I will probably grab a small amount of my Legos at my folks and take them home. Most don't need cleaning but some are in seriouse need of it.

Looking through my stuff it took me back to my childhood always fearing my cousins coming over to play with them as either pieces would go missing or be broken. Even as a kid I was very attached to my Legos.

I just finished building two sets:

Here's my lame mini review. No photos of my own.

This set keeps up with the tradition of Super Hero theme $20 sets of being good values.

Minifigs:
Batman - Not much to say except this has the newer cowl that is smaller. If you don't already have 6 Batmen, this is a nice minifig.
Man-bat - I'm not that excited about this minifig because I already have the Monster Fighters one which I could easily make into a Man-bat. The prints are different, but not so much it would matter. If I didn't already have that minifig, I would be excited about Man-bat.
Nightwing - Very cool minifig. I'd like a blue version of the costume, but I'll this this. He has the spiky hair in black which is very cool. I think only other set with that hair right now is the Superman Smallville Battle set.

The helicopter is a nice build. It has the new piece.
ajZPFwR.jpg

It's an interesting use of the piece, but I can see another existing part do the exact same function with little difference in appearance. Granted, I am extremely happy they used that new piece as I'd like a lot of them.

The helicopter was a fun little build. Nothing too exciting though. Helicopter looks really nice when done. I like the parts that are used for the helicopter. It has the R2-D2 body part in black and a lot of other black parts that are useful.

Nightwing's jet pack could easily have been a polybag with Nightwing minifig. It's packed with nice parts and looks decent when done.

Minifigs are great for this set, but the price is steep just to get this set for the minifigs.

I think they did a great job capturing the key elements of the movie. I can recreate the Jabba's palace scenes with the set. Not so great as a display piece by itself, but it's nice enough as a display for all the great minifigs in the Jabba palace setting. It's a decent set, but I'm glad I didn't pay MSRP for it.

I just finished building two sets:

Here's my lame mini review. No photos of my own.

Nice write-ups!

Jabba's Palace & the Rancor Pit expose me as such a hypocrite. The sets are insanely overpriced, and the latter is terrible by itself. Together though, they really do look fantastic.

I'm really looking forward to the next wave of Superhero sets. Love that Flash figure.

Top Bottom