• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

For the Star Wars fans,

What's the better combo the skiff and barge, or the palace and dungeon?

Please forgive the horrific quality of the photo, but I fully support the Palace+Dungeon combo.

EcvjJta.jpg

Both sets are terribly overpriced but together they really do present a terrific display piece that plays off my nostalgia hard.

The Skiff is a wonderful set, and I don't have the barge yet so I can't comment on it.

Rumored X-Men set minifigs are Cyclops, Storm, Wolverine and Magneto.
I WANT THEM ALL!

Few more pics. Love the details:

Great modular, or greatest modular?

I got home from work and started to try and finish the first floor of my MOC. I have been racking my brain all day on how to make an awning on the corner of the building, and as I rummaged through parts the solution came up. The giant curved corner piece from Alien Mothership. It is the exact size I needed, and fits perfectly and covers enough of the door. I was so ecstatic that the solution just dropped in my lap by accident.

Rootbeer

Banned
Cyke and Storm eh? I'm fine with it, go ahead and get some of the well-knowns out of the way, hopefully we can get some more interesting looking characters later though.

Great thing about x-men characters is there's a lot of potential for some interesting looking figures. Personally I want to see Beast with a custom head (cat beast or First Class movie beast), and soon! Iceman (I imagine him looking similar to the 2013 Electro), Angel (well they already have the wings thanks to Chima)... on and on

leng jai

I WANT THEM ALL!

Great modular, or greatest modular?

I got home from work and started to try and finish the first floor of my MOC. I have been racking my brain all day on how to make an awning on the corner of the building, and as I rummaged through parts the solution came up. The giant curved corner piece from Alien Mothership. It is the exact size I needed, and fits perfectly and covers enough of the door. I was so ecstatic that the solution just dropped in my lap by accident.

I think it's one of the best so far but it's hard to say definitively. It has the best ratio of internal/external detail out of the lot but I think I like the Palace Cinema the best when it comes to the exterior (which at the end of the day is the most important if you're using it for display).

Every Super Heroes set so far (except the Quinjet) have been disappointment. So my question to you guys is if Batcave worth getting before it go out of production? Minifigures in the set is not all that great but I like Batcave ...

leng jai

I spot something missing, the plants/leaves on the top of the roof of the restaurant terrace. They are the last thing added in book 3, long after the bottom floor is built, so very easy to miss.

Well spotted. I actually left them off deliberately since they look kinda weird.

Every Super Heroes set so far (except the Quinjet) have been disappointment. So my question to you guys is if Batcave worth getting before it go out of production? Minifigures in the set is not all that great but I like Batcave ...

You forgot Arkham Asylum being awesome. Marcos Bessa strikes again!

And am 99% done on the first floor of my new MOC. I decided to make another bookstore, but this time go HUGE with it.

Plan is for second floor to feature the cafe, and the third floor to be tons of bookcases throughout the floor.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Simpsons House box is bigger and heavier than I expected it to be. I think I'll build the Mars Rover first though!

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Arkham Asylum was my favourite set last year, licensed or otherwise. Hoping to expand it and make cells for ALL the villains at some point, but the base set itself is pretty cool for display. All the £20 Superhero sets are awesome too, give or take a few. I liked the Batboat set with Aqualad last year too.

And am 99% done on the first floor of my new MOC. I decided to make another bookstore, but this time go HUGE with it.

Plan is for second floor to feature the cafe, and the third floor to be tons of bookcases throughout the floor.
Looking great so far. Dem coloured tiles. Is it on a 48x48 base?

FillerB

So apparently I bought the Curiosity Rover from S@H 2 days ago while severely sleep-addled. It just arrived on my doorstep. I blame you all for this.

(Thanks!)

Rootbeer

Banned
Well, not happy. LEGO placed my order on hold. Have to call them and sort it out. Sigh. Never had this problem with them before.

Okay they apparently cleared my order after the call... but it won't ship till monday so, thanks LEGO. May not get it till the 27th now.

DJ_Lae

Apparently London Drugs here in Canada (western Canada at least) is now clearing out Lego as part of their Christmas toy blowout. But it seems to vary a bit by store.

My own store has pretty much nothing - the Lego that is left is just 20% off, which is about normal sale price and still higher than US MSRP.

My parents, however, nabbed me a Hive Crawler for $40CDN, less than half it's original price. I would have preferred some of the human ships as I already have one bug Galaxy Squad set, but hey. Love how its legs move.

Now the only question will be when I can get my hands on the set they bought.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I hate to agree with an article on Huffington Post, but the marketing of the Friends set does gross me out. The ad from the early 80s is significantly better and more progressive.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/17/lego-ad-1981_n_4617704.html
xwAsW56.jpg

Because friends sets are magically enchanted so girls can never use their imagination and use those bricks to build into anything else!

And they're really trying to use the current My Little Pony series as something that's become "increasingly girly"?

Rootbeer

Banned
As a guy who does like the Friends line, I do wish they'd make it less obviously girl-marketed. Way way too much pink and pastels. And I'd like to see more male figures in the sets (they did improve on this in 2013, but the early 2014 sets are once again lacking in male minifigs on the whole)

Nothing wrong with making sets that they feel will appeal more to girls, but they don't make the boy-marketed sets all in blue, they have a plethora of wonderful color schemes. Friends should be a little more diverse.

I'm excited for the return of Agents, having totally missed out on the earlier stuff. But please LEGO... go easy with the flat tops.

Love the gold one. But it's just not an appealing hairpiece at all :p

8967-1.jpg

DickTracy.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
Dat simpsons box... I thought the parisian restaurant would be the biggest LEGO box in my build area for some time to come. Nope. Wonder how Sea Cow will compare :)

Watching the latest Brick Show review of 75040-1: General Grievous' Wheel Bike and decided to compare it to the first version from 2005... wow, LEGO has come a long way in a short time. The builds, minifigures, everything even the box designs are significantly better these days. Can you guys think of many instances where they released a new version of a set and the new version was inferior? I"m sure there are some, but overall they seem to just get better and better, especially in aesthetics.

Noteworthy because I really feel most toys are worse quality than in years past on the whole. For example, TMNT. I also collect the Playmates toys for that line. While some of the Nickelodeon TMNT figures have been really great, most of the secondary characters are very poorly painted, and when you look at the late 80s/early 90s stuff from them, the quality difference is pretty obvious. See that with so many toy lines these days.

mrkgoo

We're seeing the 2014 models trickle in now.

They're all so good!

Playing Lego city undercover now and the new sets nearly seem straight out of that. Then again, maybe they all are and have always been.

Simpsons set acquired!

Also got my daughter Andrea's Bedroom which will likely result in more additions to the zip lock bags filled with untouched Friends accessories.

One thing of note is that all series 11 CMFs are .98 right now. Not sure if that is across the board.

Dat simpsons box... I thought the parisian restaurant would be the biggest LEGO box in my build area for some time to come. Nope. Wonder how Sea Cow will compare :)

Sea Cow will probably be close to the size of Sydney Opera House or Best Star box I think. Or Ewok Village if it is not as deep.

HOLY CRAP! Wont let me add to cart though. Oh, well. I am missing a few from the series, but think I am done with the CMF route. Too nerve racking and time consuming to find them all, and I already have tons of figures.

Ponn

Banned
I am absolutely loving these Lego Movie trailers. Seen 2 new ones over the last couple weeks and they are both hilarious. Even have some friends and family interested in seeing the movie with me after seeing the trailer on tv.

I am so pumped up!

I'm not going to have much money over next couple months so am going to hold my lego buying till Sea Cow. The only one I may lose out on is the Mars Rover but thats ok. I just know i'm going to be super hyped after seeing the movie so I need to prepare for my future hyped self spending that money.

Who am I kidding *goes off to purchase Bad Cop Pursuit*

Rootbeer

Banned
I've watched both trailers and both tv spots several times. Yeah there's just so much packed into each frame, it never gets old. Really excited to see it. So glad they picked the absolute PERFECT way to realize a LEGO movie. CGI that looks like real brick stop motion but with all the benefits of it being CGI (better expressions, effects, bigger environments, etc.)

It's just so great.

Rootbeer

Banned
Nooo it must be experienced in its full glory! I'm hoping to find a 4K showing that's not in 3D, which I think should be easy around here. Not a 3D hater, but this movie has so much detail in the frames I want to be able to see everything clearly. I find that problematic with 3D

Draxal

HOLY CRAP! Wont let me add to cart though. Oh, well. I am missing a few from the series, but think I am done with the CMF route. Too nerve racking and time consuming to find them all, and I already have tons of figures.

Yeah, I meant to say it was nation wide instead of one store, it was sold out by the time I checked earlier. I checked the local lego store and they were all out (and they had plenty a couple days ago when I was trying to buy the skiff). Oh man, the sarlacc is worth buying the skiff alone.

I know Lego can't get the license for CMF SW, but I wonder about Hobbit/Lord of the Rings swtor as they do have a polybag for Hobbit/Lotr. I believe would go crazy trying to armybuild CMF Hobbit/LOTR CMF>

Ponn

Banned
If you need to save money just wait till the movie hits home release ... Jk

You know i'm a big LoTR fan and just to show how much the first trailers got me hyped I was short on money around christmas to see Hobbit and I got a gift card from my aunt for Regal Cinemas and I saved it instead saying "No, i'm going to use this for Lego Movie"

Admittedly my friends telling me how disappointed they were in Hobbit Smaug helped with that decison, but still.

If you watch the trailers closely you can see some of the unreleased sets. The 2nd trailer I believe theres a part where Emmett is talking about how he can't be the special and if you look at the background you can tell they are on the Sea Cow. The newest ones has him in his mech smashing things.

Top Bottom