• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Tampa, there's never any lego sales around here. I saw some decent stuff on Craigs List, but I'm terrified of meeting people in person and they wind up being a murderer or somethin'. Found some decent Lego Atlantis stuff on there.

I should start looking at craigslist :p

I am in Gainesville and because it's college town and a lot of science/engineering people in town it's always hard to find stuff not picked over :-/

N.Domixis

Banned
Does anyone know if minifigbay.com is reliable? I was looking at their series 10 and saw they had mr. gold for like $50 dollars but its sold out. I thought it was strange.

Rootbeer

Banned
i've seen dolphin cruiser on warehousedeals a few times. it sells fast. i bought mine for full price, i shoulda waited as many times as i've seen it on there dangit. it's definitely the best Friends set though IMO.

rataven

I nabbed a non-warehouse Dolphin Cruiser off Amazon for 50.99 a few weeks back. My entire main Amazon wishlist is made up of Lego, which I check two or so times a day. Sometimes you just have to wait a bit to get lucky with Amazon's fluctuating pricing.

Does anyone know if minifigbay.com is reliable? I was looking at their series 10 and saw they had mr. gold for like $50 dollars but its sold out. I thought it was strange.

No idea about the site but I would be exceptionally dubious of a $50 Mr Gold.

I believe he still goes for ten times that.

Tumbler + the bat set that I bought off warehouse deals for the minifigs turned out to be way more fun than I ever thought.

I hope the aquaman set is still in production, need to buy that.

chimster

Anybody know where I can order 75009 Snow Speed Planet Series 4 shipped to Canada relatively cheap? The prices on ebay are insane.

soma27

So what do the experts think - will we see a reduction on the winter village?

I picked up the cottage last year for 30% off in January, which is what got me started with Lego again. Picked up the post office & bakeshop second hand (toy shop was just too much $$$).

Local store has 20+ on the shelves which haven't moved.

I picked up the cottage last year for 30% off in January, which is what got me started with Lego again. Picked up the post office & bakeshop second hand (toy shop was just too much $$$).

While I don't think it has sold terribly well we really don't know what LEGO is going to do with their exclusive sets. Late last year the sets were all identified as being ineligible for discounts at places like TRU and other LEGO partners....but we don't know the impact that may have at the LEGO stores or on S@H.

My gut tells me it may not get discounted. Judging by how quickly the cottage sold out last year (I got mine on discount too) I think they may have learned their lesson.

While I don't think it has sold terribly well we really don't know what LEGO is going to do with their exclusive sets. Late last year the sets were all identified as being ineligible for discounts at places like TRU and other LEGO partners....but we don't know the impact that may have at the LEGO stores or on S@H.

My gut tells me it may not get discounted. Judging by how quickly the cottage sold out last year (I got mine on discount too) I think they may have learned their lesson.
I am waiting for discount. If it doesn't happen, I will snag it in October when the next one releases.

And I am tired of disassembling stuff. I need to MOC. Been itching for too long. I don't care if I have to take it down in two months. I need to make something.

Amazon.de is where I got mine back in the fall.

Did your Hoth planet have a red spot on it? Both mine and my friends from Amazon.fr had one. I haven't call customer support to see if I could get a replacement. Not a huge deal, but considering that series was under printed, they may have higher resale value.

ghostmind

Did your Hoth planet have a red spot on it? Both mine and my friends from Amazon.fr had one. I haven't call customer support to see if I could get a replacement. Not a huge deal, but considering that series was under printed, they may have higher resale value.

I think they all do - mine does, and so do the ones I have seen in video or picture reviews.

I am waiting for discount. If it doesn't happen, I will snag it in October when the next one releases.

And I am tired of disassembling stuff. I need to MOC. Been itching for too long. I don't care if I have to take it down in two months. I need to make something.

Given that it's my only complete theme & I have a dangerous collectorscum mentality....I am worried about waiting that long for it. But I probably should, given I'm not really that into the set. I'll definitely get it but after the one-two punches of Post Office & Cottage I'm not sure it can live up to the legacy.

I'm really hoping that this year's will be another large building similar to the Cottage, and not a facade with 3-4 ancillary builds.

I also feel your pain on disassembling. I put all the Christmas stuff into a box this year, still assembled. I didn't even build the 2014 1/2 & 2/2 holiday sets because things were so cluttered.

ghostmind

Given that it's my only complete theme & I have a dangerous collectorscum mentality....I am worried about waiting that long for it. But I probably should, given I'm not really that into the set. I'll definitely get it but after the one-two punches of Post Office & Cottage I'm not sure it can live up to the legacy.

I'm really hoping that this year's will be another large building similar to the Cottage, and not a facade with 3-4 ancillary builds.

I also feel your pain on disassembling. I put all the Christmas stuff into a box this year, still assembled. I didn't even build the 2014 1/2 & 2/2 holiday sets because things were so cluttered.

I'm keeping them all assembled in a box as well.

I had them all displayed, including the promo sets, and it was definitely too cluttered. Next year I am cherry-picking what I will put out for display, and will probably take elements from all the sets (ie. the skating rink from the Bakery), but not necessarily all the elements.

I don't think it will be discounted since it's an exclusive set. Those are no longer discounted and coupons don't work on them.

EDIT: Someone returned a set at my LEGO store and it is still full price. I will wait until next xmas to pick one up.

I've been playing with ideas for my new building MOC all week, and now that I am starting it, I am having a hard time figuring out geography of things in the interior. That is always the hard part with these things. There are things I can cheat, but I dont want to if I dont have to.
I am trying my hand at another book store MOC, but this time a bit more grand than the last one. I am trying to put two escalators in it. One up, one down. But I am trying to figure out where to put them and still cram stuff on the first floor I want. Like a cafe.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
My wife like the winter village when we were in the store a few weeks ago. I was waiting to see if it went on sale like the Cottage did last year. Hoping it does, but fully expecting that it will not.

Finished up R2D2 last night. Cool little build, GREAT display piece!

I got a little tired of building him honestly. His head annoyed me with all the little pieces. Turn it this way and that way with the grey elbows. The middle leg is pretty cool. I enjoyed the build other than the head.

ghostmind

tTfs96z.jpg

C'mon Bespin Luke!

Rootbeer

Banned
Anything other than those terrible medal figures is an improvement. Bespin would be awesome.

BTW you can preorder it online already. The minifigs almost always get stolen from my the brick and mortar ones. After all the books they've releases can't believe they still don't secure the figs better. They are easy as hell to pull out.

secret rob

Neo Member
Went to the OKC lego store and confirmed they will have the Simpsons house for VIPs tomorrow. They said if you aren't there before opening, good luck getting one. I wasn't at the store for the BTTF set but they said it was crazy.

I guess S@H tonight for me is the way to go.

Rootbeer

Banned
Went to the OKC lego store and confirmed they will have the Simpsons house for VIPs tomorrow. They said if you aren't there before opening, good luck getting one. I wasn't at the store for the BTTF set but they said it was crazy.

I guess S@H tonight for me is the way to go.
Sorry to hear that... I heard different from my store. They felt confident that they'd have plenty as long as you arrive that morning sometime.

I was thinking about just waiting and getting it in a month or so. But once the Simpsons collectors start catching wind, yeah, it'll probably be about as hard to get as the BTTF set. A set that I personally saw sell 3 of just while I was browsing the store last week (their last 3, too)

Sooo I'll probably bite the bullet and make sure I'm there at opening tomorrow. Got nothing else going on.

ghostmind

Fire Brigade already going for $250 new on eBay and Bricklink.

10182 Cafe Corner (available Oct. 07 to Dec. 09)
$140->$1,600 (MSRP->current)

10190 Market Street (Oct. 07 to Apr. 09)
$90->$2,000

10185 Green Grocer (Mar. 08 to Nov. 10)
$150->$750

10197 Fire Brigade (Sep. 09 to Dec. 13)
$150->$250

Not as cool as the Emerald Express, but it's still pretty nice little set.

lyKHkXHl.jpg

First construction vehicle toy I have since my childhood days that doesn't transform into a robot.

I would love to modified these mini builds to hold minifigures like Star Wars Chibi.

Fire Brigade already going for $250 new on eBay and Bricklink.

10182 Cafe Corner (available Oct. 07 to Dec. 09)
$140->$1,600 (MSRP->current)

10190 Market Street (Oct. 07 to Apr. 09)
$90->$2,000

10185 Green Grocer (Mar. 08 to Nov. 10)
$150->$750

10197 Fire Brigade (Sep. 09 to Dec. 13)
$150->$250

I would have to imagine Fire Brigade was the highest produced of those 4 since it was out for 4 years. It's also at the time when it seems LEGO golden age started and many AFOLs and TFOLs started buying LEGO again.

If they keep coming out with modulars, I think demand for some of the later ones won't be as high unless they produced low quantities.

Yes...yes. MOC coming along nicely. Not much exterior detail, but cracked the interior layout to have two escalators side by side. Once the floor details are done, then it is time to build up the exterior.

mrkgoo

Have there been any design moc threads on neogaf? I really liked the one I took part in, and the next two I couldn't because both sets didn't release here.

Were there any more after that?

Anyway, some new sets seem to be trickling in here now. I want to get the 31015 (train) and 31020 (twin blade) creator sets.

Did anyone buy 3 of the train and build the three things? What is that last one supposed to be?

I want an aviation adventures set, but it's too expensive so that's why I might consider the twin blade one.

Edit: oh just remembered I have Lego digital designer. Might go build those models on there.

neonglow

Have there been any design moc threads on neogaf? I really liked the one I took part in, and the next two I couldn't because both sets didn't release here.

Were there any more after that?

Anyway, some new sets seem to be trickling in here now. I want to get the 31015 (train) and 31020 (twin blade) creator sets.

Did anyone buy 3 of the train and build the three things? What is that last one supposed to be?

I want an aviation adventures set, but it's too expensive so that's why I might consider the twin blade one.

Edit: oh just remembered I have Lego digital designer. Might go build those models on there.

I built all 3 trains. That third train model isn't worth your time. I think you would be fine with just 2 of the sets.

Anyone have link to list all Cuusoo projects that make it to 10,000?

Surprisingly I can't find such a link on Cuusoo itself. Looks like Birds finally made it to 10,000. I think it has a good chance of being made. I'd like one, but I wonder if may get rejected for not having enough "play" factor. Although I don't think a satellite has a lot of play factor either.

thumb640x360.jpg

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/16897

This is a cool brick built King Kong.

thumb640x360.jpg

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/46763

EDIT:
I would want the bluejay one of the birds in the project.

Bradley the Blue Jay by DeTomaso77, on Flickr

Ponn

Banned
Anyone have link to list all Cuusoo projects that make it to 10,000?

Surprisingly I can't find such a link on Cuusoo itself. Looks like Birds finally made it to 10,000. I think it has a good chance of being made. I'd like one, but I wonder if may get rejected for not having enough "play" factor. Although I don't think a satellite has a lot of play factor either.

This is a cool brick built King Kong.

EDIT:
I would want the bluejay one of the birds in the project.

Really like that Kong one. The blujay looks pretty good as well, like the perch. Would like to see a full scale version with a cage and everything might be pretty entertaining to fool people with.

ghostmind

I would have to imagine Fire Brigade was the highest produced of those 4 since it was out for 4 years. It's also at the time when it seems LEGO golden age started and many AFOLs and TFOLs started buying LEGO again.

If they keep coming out with modulars, I think demand for some of the later ones won't be as high unless they produced low quantities.

Yeah, I don't see any of the more recent ones hitting the prices that the first three Modulars have, unless they go OOP and we have another popularity surge in LEGO (not sure where that would come from though).

Yeah, I don't see any of the more recent ones hitting the prices that the first three Modulars have, unless they go OOP and we have another popularity surge in LEGO (not sure where that would come from though).

7 billion people on the planet going to 12 billion?

Yep, I'm a plastic bubble conspiracy nut. I'm in the boat this is a LEGO golden age that doesn't have much room to grow unless all of us LEGO addicts become richer. :)

Bought a new in box copy of that Flash set with Batman and the Riddler from Amazon. Box was damaged so I got a nice discount, the set is pretty nice. I love the Batmobile and the dark orange trans cockpit is an awesome piece and my favorite part of the set. The Ridder dragster is pretty meh but it does come with plenty of money which is a okay with me. Mainly got the set for the Flash, who is a great minifig.

Ponn

Banned
Bought a new in box copy of that Flash set with Batman and the Riddler from Amazon. Box was damaged so I got a nice discount, the set is pretty nice. I love the Batmobile and the dark orange trans cockpit is an awesome piece and my favorite part of the set. The Ridder dragster is pretty meh but it does come with plenty of money which is a okay with me. Mainly got the set for the Flash, who is a great minifig.

How much were they charging when you ordered? I noticed it is at 38 right now sold by Amazon but it's a 300 pc set and Lego S@H has it listed for 29.99. Never seen amazon mark up lego sets before like that (except warehouse deals on sets that are oop) but this is the second time i've seen them do this. Hobbit Lake Chase set was other they had marked up. Hope this doesn't become a trend.

7 billion people on the planet going to 12 billion?

Yep, I'm a plastic bubble conspiracy nut. I'm in the boat this is a LEGO golden age that doesn't have much room to grow unless all of us LEGO addicts become richer. :)

Gonna file some paperwork with government for financial assistance with Lego Addiction, BRB.

How much were they charging when you ordered? I noticed it is at 38 right now sold by Amazon but it's a 300 pc set and Lego S@H has it listed for 29.99. Never seen amazon mark up lego sets before like that (except warehouse deals on sets that are oop) but this is the second time i've seen them do this. Hobbit Lake Chase set was other they had marked up. Hope this doesn't become a trend.

Gonna file some paperwork with government for financial assistance with Lego Addiction, BRB.

I paid about 22-23 bucks for it. 27 in total. Seemed like a good price for this set.

mrkgoo

I built all 3 trains. That third train model isn't worth your time. I think you would be fine with just 2 of the sets.

Thanks for that. What is the last one supposed to be?

I can't really afford too much lego, so I just downloaded the instructions and built the train in Lego Digital Designer. It's pretty neat! Except it doesn't have dark green for a lot of those pieces, so I built a yellow train instead.

Thanks for that. What is the last one supposed to be?

I can't really afford too much lego, so I just downloaded the instructions and built the train in Lego Digital Designer. It's pretty neat! Except it doesn't have dark green for a lot of those pieces, so I built a yellow train instead.

I think it's suppose to be a caboose but it look like there's a jet engine mount on it at the end. It does looks weird. I only bought two (from buy 2 get 1 free) and went with the Power Digger for my freebie instead of another Emerald Express.

I was thinking it was a 3rd party, but I just checked and it was Amazon! Thinking about it, when Kai's Ninjago mech first came out before XMas, it turned out it was about $1 higher than MSRP. So a markup isn't unheard of, but not common nor that high. That 20% markup is TRU territory! Maybe they are trying to make up on lost margins during their crazy XMas discounts.

I'm holding off on that set, but I don't know how much longer I can wait.

I think it's suppose to be a caboose but it look like there's a jet engine mount on it at the end. It does looks weird. I only bought two (from buy 2 get 1 free) and went with the Power Digger for my freebie instead of another Emerald Express.

Use your imagination! That's the problem with today's LEGO builders. ;)

ghostmind

Apparently is a "rocket locomotive" alternate for the front of the train. I think it looks best with the standard loco and two train cars behind it.

They have a Lego Helms Deep for $110 at my Target. I'm debating whether to buy it. I don't have any other LOTR sets besides Shelob and Gandalfs cart. It's also too big for my limited display space. It looks like it's retired though. Hmm.

They have a Lego Helms Deep for $110 at my Target. I'm debating whether to buy it. I don't have any other LOTR sets besides Shelob and Gandalfs cart. It's also too big for my limited display space. It looks like it's retired though. Hmm.

Get it. It is OOP, so get it while the getting is good. It is a fun build and looks awesome when done. It also has a much bigger footprint than you think it does.
To top it off, it is an awesome parts pack, and is the only way to get Theoden in his armor. One of the best mini figs from 2012!

On a different note, I hit a wall on my MOC. I am trying to do an awning on the corner like I did on a MOC last year, but am having trouble getting it to set correctly. Thinking of just abandoning the idea of it and have the front door to the building be uncovered.
Planned on finishing the first floor tonight, but the awning sapped so much time. But so far I am feeling VERY good about this building. Now I hope I can pull off the second and third floors well enough.

Top Bottom