• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

ghostmind

That's interesting - a sale on a 10,000-series set.

I wonder if retailers pushed back on LEGO's policy? Or is Amazon calling their hand?

neonglow

That set isn't very popular and the reason why you see it discounted often. I'd only get it if you want the minifigures.

If you want another unique set from LOTR, how about the Pirate Ship?
91pfCXOQKgL._AA500_.jpg

Ponn

Banned
That set isn't very popular and the reason why you see it discounted often. I'd only get it if you want the minifigures.

I saw it for $55 during black friday and still couldn't pull the trigger, just an ugh set.

I can agree with the Pirate Ship. It was my first Lego ship and it was a pretty fun build and doesn't look bad on display. And as far as LoTR/Hobbit sets go its not another bland grey rocky wall set so there is that going for it. Also the Dead army figs are pretty darn cool.

Rootbeer

Banned
And think, if you buy the set, you can also convert it into a Psuedo Forestmen village. You know you want to, think of the retro factor.
:( I need to make that happen regardless... someday i'll get around to it. i just find the bricklink interface kinda hard to navigate to find the stuff i want.
Price has gone back up so the temptation should now be gone.
yeah i F5ed it a few times, sigh, saw it go back... oh well. Honestly I have enough on my plate right now. It's nice but I'll live.

Curious did anyone here snatch one?

I really want them to do an upgraded Yoda's hut, i'd be on that in no time flat.

Ryuuroden

:( I need to make that happen regardless... someday i'll get around to it. i just find the bricklink interface kinda hard to navigate to find the stuff i want.

yeah i F5ed it a few times, sigh, saw it go back... oh well. Honestly I have enough on my plate right now. It's nice but I'll live.

I really want them to do an upgraded Yoda's hut, i'd be on that in no time flat.

I would of snatched one up had I not found out I am getting a temporary 5 week lay-off and the fact I am moving next week. It's not a big enough deal for me to be sad about it at least.

EDIT: Still going to pick up the Sea Cow early no matter what.

91pfCXOQKgL._AA500_.jpg

I am thinking LEGO way over produce this, during holidays, there were (still are) stack and stack of these. Brown ship is not very attractive...

neonglow

I bought the set before posting it.

Ryuuroden

OK LEGOGaf, I said earlier that I was going to post my backlog and ask what I should build first after I move. Well, with the move a week away, here is my backlog:

STAR WARS

-1x 10227 UCS B-Wing Starfighter
-1x 10188 UCS Death Star
-1x 75021 Republic Gunship (replacing older version)
-1x 75016 Homing Spider Droid (replacing older version)
-1x 75020 Jabba's Sail Barge
-1x 7869 Battle for Geonosis
-1x 7879 Hoth Echo Base
-2x 9488 Elite Clone Trooper and Commando Droid Battle Pack
-6x 9489 Endor Rebel Trooper Battle Pack
-1x 9492 TIE Fighter
-1x 9495 Gold Leaders Y-wing Starfigher (Replacing version from 2000 lol)
-1x 9497 Republic Striker-class Starfighter
-1x 9500 Sith Fury-class Interceptor
-1x 9516 Jabba's Palace
-1x 9525 Pre Vizsla's Mandalorian Fighter
-2x 75000 Clone Troopers vs Droidekas
-1x 75003 A-wing Starfighter (replacing older version from 2001 I think)
-1x 75004 Z-95 Headhunter
-1x 75014 Battle of Hoth

LoTR and Hobbitses

-2x 10232 Tower of Orthanc (combining to make a taller one but still a cut-away one)
-2x 79006 The Council of Elrond (combining and for parts)
-2x 79007 The Black Gate (combining)
-1x 79008 Pirate Ship Ambush
-1x 9469 Gandolf Arrives
-2x 9471 Uruk-Hai Army
-1x 9472 Attack on Weathertop
-1x 9473 The Mines of Moria
-2x 9474 The Battle of Helm's Deep (Combining)
-1x 79000 Riddles for the Ring
-2x 79003 An Unexpected Gathering (combining)
-1x 79010 The Goblin King Battle

EXCLUSIVES:

-1x 10220 Volkswagen T1 Camper Van
-1x 10228 Haunted House
-1x 41999 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition
-3x 10224 Town Hall (Combining/parts for making new larger central town hall)
-1x 10232 Palace Cinema (Need 1 or 2 more of these sets eventually)
-1x 10226 Sopwith Camel
-1x 10235 Winter Village Market
-1x 10229 Winter Cottage
-1x 10233 Horizon Express
-1x 10214 Tower Bridge

OTHERS:

-8x 79106 Cavalry Builder Set
-1x 41006 Friends Downtown Bakery
-1x 79108 Stagecoach Escape
-1x 4193 The London Escape (PoTC)
-1x 4206 Recycling Truck
-1x 7937 Train Station
-1x 8404 Public Transport Station
-1x 60002 Fire Truck
-1x 60017 Flatbed Truck
-1x 60020 Cargo Truck

Polybags:

2x 30224 Ride on Lawn Mower
5x 40056 Thanksgiving Feast
5x 40057 Fall Season
1x 40078 Hot Dog Stand

OK LEGOGaf, I said earlier that I was going to post my backlog and ask what I should build first after I move. Well, with the move a week away, here is my backlog:

STAR WARS

-1x 10227 UCS B-Wing Starfighter
-1x 10188 UCS Death Star
-1x 75021 Republic Gunship (replacing older version)
-1x 75016 Homing Spider Droid (replacing older version)
-1x 75020 Jabba's Sail Barge
-1x 7869 Battle for Geonosis
-1x 7879 Hoth Echo Base
-2x 9488 Elite Clone Trooper and Commando Droid Battle Pack
-6x 9489 Endor Rebel Trooper Battle Pack
-1x 9492 TIE Fighter
-1x 9495 Gold Leaders Y-wing Starfigher (Replacing version from 2000 lol)
-1x 9497 Republic Striker-class Starfighter
-1x 9500 Sith Fury-class Interceptor
-1x 9516 Jabba's Palace
-1x 9525 Pre Vizsla's Mandalorian Fighter
-2x 75000 Clone Troopers vs Droidekas
-1x 75003 A-wing Starfighter (replacing older version from 2001 I think)
-1x 75004 Z-95 Headhunter
-1x 75014 Battle of Hoth

LoTR and Hobbitses

-2x 10232 Tower of Orthanc (combining to make a taller one but still a cut-away one)
-2x 79006 The Council of Elrond (combining and for parts)
-2x 79007 The Black Gate (combining)
-1x 79008 Pirate Ship Ambush
-1x 9469 Gandolf Arrives
-2x 9471 Uruk-Hai Army
-1x 9472 Attack on Weathertop
-1x 9473 The Mines of Moria
-2x 9474 The Battle of Helm's Deep (Combining)
-1x 79000 Riddles for the Ring
-2x 79003 An Unexpected Gathering (combining)
-1x 79010 The Goblin King Battle

EXCLUSIVES:

-1x 10220 Volkswagen T1 Camper Van
-1x 10228 Haunted House
-1x 41999 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition
-3x 10224 Town Hall (Combining/parts for making new larger central town hall)
-1x 10232 Palace Cinema (Need 1 or 2 more of these sets eventually)
-1x 10226 Sopwith Camel
-1x 10235 Winter Village Market
-1x 10229 Winter Cottage
-1x 10233 Horizon Express
-1x 10214 Tower Bridge

OTHERS:

-8x 79106 Cavalry Builder Set
-1x 41006 Friends Downtown Bakery
-1x 79108 Stagecoach Escape
-1x 4193 The London Escape (PoTC)
-1x 4206 Recycling Truck
-1x 7937 Train Station
-1x 8404 Public Transport Station
-1x 60002 Fire Truck
-1x 60017 Flatbed Truck
-1x 60020 Cargo Truck

Polybags:

2x 30224 Ride on Lawn Mower
5x 40056 Thanksgiving Feast
5x 40057 Fall Season
1x 40078 Hot Dog Stand

5UujICz.gif

Death Star

Best Star

perfect set to christen the new home with

The only problem with that is that it is all downhill after that. But, of course, anything worth doing is worth doing right.

Start with the Best Star.

Rootbeer

Banned
uugghhh once again brickset makes a post about a great sale and it is already gone.

wish I had an app on my phone that buzzed me anytime a set $20 or up set goes on sale for 30% off or more

I would have bought that LotR pirate ship :(

Completed exterior. Might tweak the sidewalk later and add a lamppost or something.

The front doors. NO SKATING ON THE SIDEWALK!

The BOOK sign, again.

How it's actually connected to the building.

14 pieces for a book. 13 if you dont have the one extra plate jutting out to connect to the hinges on the building.

Close up of the SNOT work. Alternating between regular 1x1 SNOT bricks, and 1x1 recessed SNOT bricks.

The first floor. The exposed studs are for more mini figs if I wanna.

Not only are there wall bookshelves, but tables set up to display new stuff. The Odinson is taking great interest in this.

Newsstand area in the back. Deadpool walking away a satisfied customer.

Behind the cash registers.

The inside of the front doors. Complete with alarm systems to catch thieves.

Backside of the building...

Which opens to the receiving area!

Gotta get those boxes done and out on the sales floor!

The second floor, aka Cafe area.

Everyone waiting impatiently for their lattes.

Espresso machine and cup stacks.

Seating area to enjoy your snack and the newspaper.

Santa sits alone to enjoy some coffee.

The lounge area.

Loki is displeased at the line for coffee.

The Joker takes the escalator to the third floor.
The escalator design is mostly stolen from Grand Emporium, but I made the sides glass instead.

The third floor. With the stacks, and stacks of books.

You could get lost in the tight aisles.

Some browsers.

The Tenth Doctor waiting at the top of the escalator to stop The Joker.

The roof and skylight.

Alternating SNOT methods to pull off the offset brick pattern on the roof.

Size comparisons to other modulars.

While Benny is fun, it's annoying how they've designed the print. I've never had a spaceman insignia be shredded like that. It's always the gold part that rubs off, with a fairly pristine white print under it.

Not a build as such, just something I did:

eEXiHbU.jpg

I permanently glued some 2x8's to my monitor to have some display space for Lego stuff on top of it. Since I removed the shelves I used to have there, I can't put as much stuff there anymore, and I couldn't just balance anything on there. Also, it could be a challenge to build stuff that actually fits on that ledge. Currently it houses my Hobbit good guys.

Well done! I always love the scenes people setup with the minifigs. What's missing is Hulk minifig! That was classic LEGO OT 1 Phonciplebone.

When I finally buy my first modular (Palace Cinema) in June, I'm going to have a ball creating scenes with my minifigs. Everyone in here has inspired me.

Man built the B-Wing over the last couple of evenings.
Such an awesome build the whole thing comes together really well and it looks gorgeous when completed.

Is the printing on the windscreen equally non-optimal on other B-Wings?

hmmblah

Decided to put a few sets on display in the living room. These are about 10 feet up. Only reason my wife noticed is my adorable 4 year old son pointed it out after an hour. Not sure how long they are staying up! I think the SSD would look great if I could get it up there and tilted it.

jBihQZH.jpg

robochimp

uugghhh once again brickset makes a post about a great sale and it is already gone.

wish I had an app on my phone that buzzed me anytime a set $20 or up set goes on sale for 30% off or more

I would have bought that LotR pirate ship :(

Set up an alert at slickdeals.net for "lego"

They also have an app

Kuntz

I've been quite behaving at the lego store, "only" brought back the Delorean, the set for the moc contest, a small lego movie box and last spring 's polybag at a reduced price.

Next time i won't have any restraints.

Decided to put a few sets on display in the living room. These are about 10 feet up. Only reason my wife noticed is my adorable 4 year old son pointed it out after an hour. Not sure how long they are staying up! I think the SSD would look great if I could get it up there and tilted it.

Does that hallway on the right lead to 3 bedrooms and a bathroom? It looks a lot like my friend's house!

Tell your wife you need to give them a higher profile and move them to eye level. That may convince her to let you keep them up there :) Dust often though.

chidrock

Better yet - tell your wife you need to keep them up there and out of the range of your 4 year old. LEGO are a choking hazard afterall...

Ponn

Banned
Phon that is a really awesome bookstore. I would totally buy that if they sold it since I love book stores and that sign is just awesome. It would be sort of meta if you added a small Lego section in the store.

I got my small package from Lego S@H today. 2 valentine bears (one for my new GF for Valentines day to try and get her into Lego so she will let me stop at the Orlando Lego Store when we go to Universal Studios), 4 Lego Movie CMF and my Lord Business poster that is going up at work. Annnnnnd now Panda guy or Where are my pants guy. I got 2 President Business, one Coffee shop Barista (kinda cool) and one I don't know beehive hair robot lady with clipboard.

Something I noticed about the Simpsons set, the bricks seems to be much lower quality than other sets. The tan brick especially doesn't fit flush with one another and there are a lot of plastic flash on all of the bricks.

ghostmind

LEGO prelims being posted on this site (and associated YouTube channel):

<snip>

We should be getting some pictures of the final sets next week at the German Toy Fair, and then the full monte a couple weeks later in New York.

Top Bottom