• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Draxal

So it looks like the Cantina has Han, Luke, Obi-Wan. Sandtrooper, Greedo and 3 Bith musicians (Figrin D'an and two Modal Nodes).

AT-AT is apparently slightly smaller than the 2010 version, but may be the best design version yet.

ISD is also slightly smaller, and the bridge section is not open like the 2006 version (which is a good thing IMO) and the Emperor hologram is indeed a printed trans-blue microfig.

B-Wing has Ten Numb, Airen Cracken, and a new Y-wing pilot.

B wing comes with a b-wing pilot, he admitted it was a typo.

mrkgoo

Ok, we've discussed this many times after 3 set based contests I will come up with a theme based one.
People with huge collections will always have an advantage though, but I think we have sufficient members to justify this.
Won’t be so open for non-LEGO GAF members though.

I think the key is to just keep it moving. That's why it's important to be simple. I'm not a fan over over elaborate set ups. Just do a competition, give it an appropriate amount of time and then do another. Not quite 10 days like the photo assignments, maybe at least a couple weeks to allow for sets to be bought etc.

It means if people miss out, but it's clear people have fun, they'll be in on the next one. Prizes actually get in the way of this because then the emphasis becomes on the 'winning' and the actual competing part, it becomes too 'serious' and beginners feel intimidated. Just-for-fun and casual is the way to go, I feel.

I feel the best 'prizes' are just more involvement such as helping choose the next set or theme.

Likewise, don't have too many rules. Keep it basic and straightforward.

Also by moving briskly you can do multiple ideas quickly. Like set-based and then move onto a theme. I think the theme are an EXCELLENT idea, and there are tons of other ways to try as well.

I do suggest, however, maybe for the first one after the hiatus to be more representative and use a particular set again, and as mentioned a widely available 2014 set.

In other news, I found out the Lego movie doesn't start until April here :(

Rootbeer

Banned
Ok, we've discussed this many times after 3 set based contests I will come up with a theme based one.
People with huge collections will always have an advantage though, but I think we have sufficient members to justify this.
Won’t be so open for non-LEGO GAF members though.

So it will definitely be theme based this time and not set based?

If we go set based, why not be a little more open to what is allowed? for example, we have three great little 4.99 builds on the market right now that hit at the same time:

Red Thunder

Power Digger
Emerald Express

Maybe we can set a piece limit (say 100 pieces) but can be chosen from any pieces in these 3 sets, as an example.

I appreciate the allure of locking it to one set, but this might also be a fun way while offering a lot more selection in colors and possibilities. The entry price also stays VERY low this way.

As someone with a sizeable lego collection, i'm definitely okay with a theme based contest. just worried that price may be an issue keeping more people from participating and we've always had reasonable levels of entry in the past on these.

So the new Agents are not new? Meh.

Just picked up 8968 River Heist and 8961 Crystal Sweeper (used) through bl.

The new Agents are new. It just seems someone made a fake of using image of an earlier Agents set.

I hope they use a lot of dark blue for the sets. I like that color. Agents minifigs make nice minifigs that can be used as SHIELD agents.

Where did you find those old sets? Did you pay a lot more than MSRP?

I'll probably still participate if we do a theme based contest, but I keep most of my sets built so my piece selection will seem really limited. I vote for set based contest but look forward to whatever is decided.

mrkgoo

If we go set based, why not be a little more open to what is allowed? for example, we have three great little 4.99 builds on the market right now that hit at the same time:

Red Thunder

Power Digger
Emerald Express

Maybe we can set a piece limit (say 100 pieces) but can be chosen from any pieces in these 3 sets, as an example.

I appreciate the allure of locking it to one set, but this might also be a fun way while offering a lot more selection in colors and possibilities. The entry price also stays VERY low this way.

As someone with a sizeable lego collection, i'm definitely okay with a theme based contest. just worried that price may be an issue keeping more people from participating and we've always had reasonable levels of entry in the past on these.

Good idea! Those new small sets are great anyway and people can choose any one or even all three if they feel.

Maybe even just say as many as you want so if people want to get three of one or whatever.

My vision for these things is more to get people into Lego and have fun. Be more inclusive.

Themes are an excellent idea, but since we haven't had one in a while I do think set-based for the next is more representative.

There really is no limit to what can be done which why I think simple and often is the better way to go. No longer than two weeks. Any longer and people who entered early tend to forget and lose interest, kind of itching for something new.

FliXFantatier: I'm willing to just set it up and go and keep it moving if you want or if you want help with it.

It would be neat if there was an easy way to just get all the pieces into Lego digital designer. I've been playing more with that since I can't afford real Lego, lol

neonglow

Red Thunder

Power Digger
Emerald Express

That's a good idea. The cheapest Creator sets should be accessible to everyone.

Ponn

Banned

Red Thunder

Power Digger
Emerald Express

Just to make it interesting should make it the Valentines Bear. Unfortunately not everyone will have easy access to it, but would still be fun.

Seeing as the consensus seems to be doing a set based one first, my suggestion would be.
I will get a set based contest up and running on the weekend, and within the month we will have a theme based one for the more advanced LEGO collections. ;)

What seems to be making it difficult is the fact that none of the 2014 creator sets have arrived in Europe yet.

The thunder jet seems to be available on all Amazons, so that seems reasonably available and it has a nice selection of pieces and colours.
ruNUF9Hl.png

Or as Zulithe suggested we could go with the two small 2013 creator sets, throw in the chopper for good measure or something.
But I am not convinced about the idea of offering multiple sets.

ghostmind

Seeing as the consensus seems to be doing a set based one first, my suggestion would be.
I will get a set based contest up and running on the weekend, and within the month we will have a theme based one for the more advanced LEGO collections. ;)

What seems to be making it difficult is the fact that none of the 2014 creator sets have arrived in Europe yet.

The thunder jet seems to be available on all Amazons, so that seems reasonably available and it has a nice selection of pieces and colours.
ruNUF9Hl.png

Or as Zulithe suggested we could go with the two small 2013 creator sets, throw in the chopper for good measure or something.

Thunder Wings is a sweet-looking set. I could get behind using it for our first contest, but I would agree that once Europe has the 2014 Creator sets in, lets do a MOC contest where you can use anything from the three $5 sets (Red Thunder, Power Digger, and Emerald Express), but with no limit - other than the pieces must come from those three sets (with 1 of each set - no dupes).

Draxal

Thunder Wings is a sweet-looking set. I could get behind using it for our first contest, but I would agree that once Europe has the 2014 Creator sets in, lets do a MOC contest where you can use anything from the three $5 sets (Red Thunder, Power Digger, and Emerald Express).

My vote would be for Furry Creatures, but I do understand the desire for the 5 dollar sets.

neonglow

ruNUF9Hl.png

This is actually one of the Creator 2013 sets I don't have. Once the contest is a go, I'll be sure to order it.

Third floor completed (except for the books along the walls inside).
I need to sleep. Stayed up way too late, but had a groove going.

Right now it is the exact height of Pet Shop. The roof wont be too huge, so I am expecting a bit higher than Grand Emporium when done. Minus the billboard of course.

mrkgoo

ruNUF9Hl.png

Out of curiosity, why not multiple sets?

I mean, my opinion is it should all about inclusiveness and fun. Offering multiple sets and choices for one competition means more accessibility.

I don't think the idea of "starting from even footing" is necessarily the be all and end all of any single contest. It all happens in the user voting - if something untoward happens in an entry, it will be decided by votes anyway.

You'll also get discussion about the pros and cons of each set and there's sort of a nice decision making before you even start.

Eh, just food for thought.

Anyway, key is simplicity.

Out of curiosity, why not multiple sets?

I mean, my opinion is it should all about inclusiveness and fun. Offering multiple sets and choices for one competition means more accessibility.

I don't think the idea of "starting from even footing" is necessarily the be all and end all of any single contest. It all happens in the user voting - if something untoward happens in an entry, it will be decided by votes anyway.

You'll also get discussion about the pros and cons of each set and there's sort of a nice decision making before you even start.

Eh, just food for thought.

Anyway, key is simplicity.

That seems silly to me either we limit it in a very specific way, easiest ist one or two sets, or we have no hold barred.
Anyhting in between will always result in no holds, because it would be impossible to police.

That would definitely help us poor Aussies that get stupid Aussie tax on LEGO.

is the thunder wing avaliable in AUS?

mrkgoo

That seems silly to me either we limit it in a very specific way, easiest ist one or two sets, or we have no hold barred.
Anyhting in between will always result in no holds, because it would be impossible to police.

I meant more like just a couple sets or the previous suggestion of those three 2014 creator sets.

I don't mean like some crazy here are 7 sets and choose or anything. I would imagine 2 to be the limit. 3 MAYBE if they're from a similar line and theme.

I was just curious.

But yeah I'm fine with one set, multiple sets or whatever. I think simple, few actual 'rules', just provide the set/sets/theme whatever and just have it go.

Like it's not like you have to set any rules and fix them forever or anything. If such a prize for the winner is something like set up the next theme/set, they can just do what they want - if it turns out to be a bad idea then we'll learn that as we go.

It's available in NZ, so I imagine it's available in aus.

Retail price of that set is NZ$40, ~US$33

Rootbeer

Banned
I'll receive my Simpsons house on Saturday, but Brickset has the first part of their review up.

here is one of the photos from the review:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92090133@N04/12091912635/sizes/o/

What I want to point out here is the poor printing on the faces. Particularly the eyes. I really wish they had worked harder on perfecting the printing because it's pretty bad. There's lots of misalignment, missing paint and even a bit of white paint that got on Homer's nose.

I love LEGO but I don't often see people calling them out on QC issues unless it's regarding china plastic used in some pieces. Not sure if the Simpsons heads are also made in China parts but they look it.

FWIW I actually love the sculpts which is why it irritates me so much.

Also regarding the sleeves: I know it uses a new multi-colored plastic process, which is sure to lead to great things, sadly the execution is again a bit disappointing as you can see the sleeves are very uneven looking and it just looks weird to me.

At the end of the day, LEGO aren't looked at this close-up very often, so I understand it can be overlooked by many. But we have so many wonderfully printed minifigs these days, I just feel these don't really live up to the best of what LEGO can accomplish.

glaurung

What I want to point out here is the poor printing on the faces. Particularly the eyes. I really wish they had worked harder on perfecting the printing because it's pretty bad. There's lots of misalignment, missing paint and even a bit of white paint that got on Homer's nose.
Those eyes look pretty bad, that's true.

I haven't followed LEGO minifigure range a whole lot, but it stands to reason that LEGO's internal machinery has not been perfected to print high quality graphics onto contoured and curved surfaces. Their ordinary yellow head cylinder print art is amazing, but these new ones have bumps for eyes, nose and mouths. Mass production printing onto those has to be a nightmare.

Ryuuroden

I'll receive my Simpsons house on Saturday, but Brickset has the first part of their review up.

I love LEGO but I don't often see people calling them out on QC issues unless it's regarding china plastic used in some pieces. Not sure if the Simpsons heads are also made in China parts but they look it.

Also regarding the sleeves: I know it uses a new multi-colored plastic process, which is sure to lead to great things, sadly the execution is again a bit disappointing as you can see the sleeves are very uneven looking and it just looks weird to me.

At the end of the day, LEGO aren't looked at this close-up very often, so I understand it can be overlooked by many. But we have so many wonderfully printed minifigs these days, I just feel these don't really live up to the best of what LEGO can accomplish.

You would think that they wouldn't have any trouble with the faces because it's not like they haven't had tons of practice with star wars aliens, etc when it comes to the non standard head.

rataven

Yeesh, that Homer IS bad. Bad enough that I'd probably contact Lego to let them know. Maybe even request a replacement.

Fortunately my Homer is fine, but my Bart looks exactly like theirs. We'll probably see quite a few of these bad paint jobs coming out of this set, it seems.

Rootbeer

Banned
Yeesh, that Homer IS bad. Bad enough that I'd probably contact Lego to let them know. Maybe even request a replacement.

Fortunately my Homer is fine, but my Bart looks exactly like theirs. We'll probably see quite a few of these bad paint jobs coming out of this set, it seems.

If any of the figures I get look remotely like that, I'm contacting them for replacements immediately. That homer should not have passed QC and got inside a box, IMO.

Sorry but from a $200 item I think we should expect better. Very few of the pieces require any paint, I think the ones that do should be paid attention to.

You can limit the size in number of pieces or the dimensions (i.e. 8x8 studs).

Reminder of very small size limit idea. Examples of what can be made with 11 pieces exactly: http://www.flickr.com/groups/e11even/pool/

E11ocomotive by Bafoled, on Flickr

Minion - Eleven by Larry Lars, on Flickr

Oh, AFOLs do complain about quality changes and QC at LEGO. Aside from the China parts my next biggest complaint is the color variation from brick to brick. This is mostly apparent in the yellow bricks. From what I read, this is mostly due to LEGO coloring the LEGO themselves to save money. The ABS granules they bought used to be precolored, but they color them at the factory now.
The thing is majority of sales are too kids and they don't notice details as much as the TFOLs and AFOLs.

If the printing is that messed up, call customer service. You may be able to provide a photo or something. Maybe they'll send replacements.

Ponn

Banned
I'm also voting for one of the furry creatures or Forest Animals sets for MOC contest. Because they offer some unique pieces and everyone should own them anyways one way or another.

Rootbeer

Banned
Check out Tegan & Sara‘s new track “Everything Is Awesome” for The Lego Movie soundtrack, which was exclusively given to JustJared.com!

The twin sisters are joined on the track by Andy Samberg‘s band The Lonely Island.

source: http://www.justjared.com/2014/01/23/tegan-sara-everything-is-awesome-exclusive-premiere-listen-now/

https://soundcloud.com/watertowermusic/everything-is-awesome-tegan/s-J7fYt

FWIW, not a fan of this, but I did like a lot of the score in the soundtrack samples. But this rendition of the song is definitely a monstrosity

ALSO, new "Behind the Bricks" featurette

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/thelegomovie/

PSA

Phonciplebone loves this set and this makes it even more amazing. I have yet to build it, but this almost makes me want to get power functions.

Remote Controlled Hive Crawler by nolnet, on Flickr

Video in on his Flickr stream here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nolnet/12093464085/in/photostream/
Mother of god.

EDIT: I just got home and finally watched the video. I have never wanted power functions more. That is terrifying. And that he made the egg launcher remote controlled too. I must find instructions and order power functions just to do that.

jpatez34

Neo Member
I couldn't help myself!

Just pre-ordered the LEGO Movie OST from iTunes and downloaded Everything is AWESOME! What a catchy tune. Comes out on the same day as Within Temptations new album Hydra, on the 4th February.

Also I suggest each and everyone of you watch the LEGO Movie featurette "Behind The Brick", it's almost 3mins of pure enjoyment! Currently it's a Apple Trailers exclusive but I'm sure it's somewhere on You Tube by now!

I was weak tonight and bought Lord Business's Evil Lair. I wanted Biznis Kitty and the Macho Wrestler figures. And the set looks manic and a good parts pack.

Top Bottom