• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

ghostmind

Yeah, that Behind the Bricks thing is great! AWESOME!

g8zR3U3.jpg

I have been almost weak and bought the set that had the Blacktron and Fabuland minifigs but I have stayed strong! Plus I'm tired of buying sets that I see built in store, have doubts on buying it and buy it anyway and end up disappointed.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'll get them all for the minifigs, but yeah T-Sub is the only one that looks worth the actual cash :p Well, I do like the Spider Bytez minifig too, but that set is unexceptional as you're likely to see in a super hero set.

Except that Leo/Karai set. That's definitely worse.

But the custom minifigs make up for it for me. I can't express how great it will be to have a leatherhead LEGO figure... it looks great.

neonglow

I'll get them all for the minifigs, but yeah T-Sub is the only one that looks worth the actual cash :p Well, I do like the Spider Bytez minifig too, but that set is unexceptional as you're likely to see in a super hero set.

Except that Leo/Karai set. That's definitely worse.

But the custom minifigs make up for it for me. I can't express how great it will be to have a leatherhead LEGO figure... it looks great.

The Karai set looks like one of those unfinished preliminary photos but I guess you can't do much with that motorcycle piece.

ruxtpin

Banned
All this TMNT news reminds of one of my favorite childhood toys...

toy2.jpg

I loved setting up all my figures on the fireplace and blasting them down with pizza discs.

Rootbeer

Banned
The Karai set looks like one of those unfinished preliminary photos but I guess you can't do much with that motorcycle piece.

i wish they'd just retire that piece... didn't i already buy this set with batman and catwoman? :) Oh and Captain America? Really sick of motorcycles. At least make one that looks interesting. Oh well :(

Third floor completed (except for the books along the walls inside).
I need to sleep. Stayed up way too late, but had a groove going.

Right now it is the exact height of Pet Shop. The roof wont be too huge, so I am expecting a bit higher than Grand Emporium when done. Minus the billboard of course.
Your stuffs rival many of the MOC I see at BricksCon. Have you enter any of your MOCs?

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
So guys, I got the Daily Bugle Showdown on clearance at Target for $35. Doom! Nova! Beetle! Dooooooooom!

Wish his head was metallic. But DOOM.

Rootbeer

Banned
Great price!

I saw the 2013 SW advent on clearance at one of my local Targets today. Someone hid it behind some other SW sets. was $26 something. Still grossly overpriced so I passed.

Your stuffs rival many of the MOC I see at BricksCon. Have you enter any of your MOCs?

No. Never entered for anything except on Eurobricks once, and that was my first ever MOC. I feel like I am improving greatly with each one. And I just finished the exterior of the bookstore.

The skylight. Really proud of how that came together and how secure the entire thing is. Much more stable and secure than the one on Grand Emporium. No rattling here.

4211636.jpg

Put these at one end.

Then build up the windows. It is exactly 11 bricks and 2 plates high.

4210762.jpg

Then use these for the other end of the SNOT work. The entire thing fits exactly 16 studs long. Took a bit of experimenting to get it to fit, but it is like a glove now.

Size comparison next to Parisian Restaurant.

I still need to build about 40+ rows of books to put on the interior wall bookshelves, and then two small chairs for the upper floor. Once I do that, and then decide what mini figures to put around the inside, I will post up pics.

And I have no clue how many pieces this thing wound up being. Probably well over 4000 if I would guess. Probably closer to 6000. The bookcases on the top floor along are 38 bricks each. And that is before building books to put on them.

ghostmind

I agree - your building MOCs have improved greatly, and I think this one could go toe-to-toe with some of the best of them out there. You should enter this one in something.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
No. Never entered for anything except on Eurobricks once, and that was my first ever MOC. I feel like I am improving greatly with each one. And I just finished the exterior of the bookstore.

The skylight. Really proud of how that came together and how secure the entire thing is. Much more stable and secure than the one on Grand Emporium. No rattling here.

4211636.jpg

Put these at one end.

Then build up the windows. It is exactly 11 bricks and 2 plates high.

4210762.jpg

Then use these for the other end of the SNOT work. The entire thing fits exactly 16 studs long. Took a bit of experimenting to get it to fit, but it is like a glove now.

Size comparison next to Parisian Restaurant.

I still need to build about 40+ rows of books to put on the interior wall bookshelves, and then two small chairs for the upper floor. Once I do that, and then decide what mini figures to put around the inside, I will post up pics.

And I have no clue how many pieces this thing wound up being. Probably well over 4000 if I would guess. Probably closer to 6000. The bookcases on the top floor along are 38 bricks each. And that is before building books to put on them.

Love the MOC. As always great detail. The books and roof are excellent. The only thing I would say that could be improved on would be the flatness of the second and third exterior. I think you could add great detail if it was set back a little more. The second and third floors, from the roof down are a flat straight area. The lil 1x1 blocks help to reduce the flatness, but I think if you were able to go in 1 block more and alternate the smoothness it would add greater detail. Does that make sense? It seems kinda boxie. Not trying to criticize, it is a great piece. Just trying to give positive feedback.

Love the MOC. As always great detail. The books and roof are excellent. The only thing I would say that could be improved on would be the flatness of the second and third exterior. I think you could add great detail if it was set back a little more. The second and third floors, from the roof down are a flat straight area. The lil 1x1 blocks help to reduce the flatness, but I think if you were able to go in 1 block more and alternate the smoothness it would add greater detail. Does that make sense? It seems kinda boxie. Not trying to criticize, it is a great piece. Just trying to give positive feedback.

Thank you for the feedback. I was trying to get a little bit more texture on the second and third floors, but was not really sure how to do it. The alternating SNOT between the windows helped a lil bit. I almost added planters along the outer windows but then refrained. Another thought I had was using arches above the windows and offsetting them some (recessing the windows to make room for the arches), but then I would have to completely overhaul the interiors and tile work.

I agree it is a bit boxy.

The biggest problem was that I tried to lay out the interior details first before going for the exterior, so whenever I kept altering the exterior I had to keep it along the same size and couldn't offset in unless I redid the entire interior. I went through a lot of variations of the exterior for the second and third floors before deciding on this look though. The trick was that I had next to no regular window pieces and then also had to have enough of everything to pull it off twice because I wanted the appearance to be mirrored (except for the book sign).

It's also a bit too monochromatic. I couldn't figure out how to inject a bit more color into it. At least not something this huge unless I made it bright green.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Thank you for the feedback. I was trying to get a little bit more texture on the second and third floors, but was not really sure how to do it. The alternating SNOT between the windows helped a lil bit. I almost added planters along the outer windows but then refrained. Another thought I had was using arches above the windows and offsetting them some (recessing the windows to make room for the arches), but then I would have to completely overhaul the interiors and tile work.

I agree it is a bit boxy.

The biggest problem was that I tried to lay out the interior details first before going for the exterior, so whenever I kept altering the exterior I had to keep it along the same size and couldn't offset in unless I redid the entire interior. I went through a lot of variations of the exterior for the second and third floors before deciding on this look though. The trick was that I had next to no regular window pieces and then also had to have enough of everything to pull it off twice because I wanted the appearance to be mirrored (except for the book sign).

It's also a bit too monochromatic. I couldn't figure out how to inject a bit more color into it. At least not something this huge unless I made it bright green.

That makes perfect sense. I agree that adding archways would greatly add to what I was referencing. I can completely understand the process of giving detail to one aspect of the build and not waiting to change it out. That is what makes mocing things so difficult, and also fun. Like I said it looks like an amazing piece. I could see where you are coming from with the color pallet as well. Gotta work with what you got though. You have the basic idea down and got what you wanted from it. If you were looking to keep this moc together I would use it as the rough draft and then order the parts in the colors you need. That is if you were planning to keep it built as a display piece. Not that you ever had that planned. Great stuff!

That makes perfect sense. I agree that adding archways would greatly add to what I was referencing. I can completely understand the process of giving detail to one aspect of the build and not waiting to change it out. That is what makes mocing things so difficult, and also fun. Like I said it looks like an amazing piece. I could see where you are coming from with the color pallet as well. Gotta work with what you got though. You have the basic idea down and got what you wanted from it. If you were looking to keep this moc together I would use it as the rough draft and then order the parts in the colors you need. That is if you were planning to keep it built as a display piece. Not that you ever had that planned. Great stuff!

I used to work in the reverse for MOCs like this. Do the exterior, then build the interior. But with this and the abandoned Pie Shop I tried to do both at the same time, mainly doing interiors first because it is so much easier to snap stuff in when there isn't a giant wall in the way.

Really the biggest drawback was that I chose to put tiles on the floor instead of leaving it all exposed studs. Once those tiles were down, I really didn't feel like pulling the outside layer up.

If Tower Bridge were disassembled, I would have had tons of windows and a lot more SNOT to work with, so I probably would have made a vastly different exterior if that were the case. I still had TONS of SNOT bricks to use, but it is amazing just how much something like Tower Bridge contributes for MOCcing. Not just SNOT, but all the windows.

12102578975_451b05570e.jpg

New part in The Simpsons' House according to Brickset. Looks very handy.

And a link to an awesome CUUSOO project.
thumb640x360.png

From the same guy who made that awesome T-Rex.

thumb640x360.png

Supported. Surprised the T-Rex isn't getting more momentum. I supported back with the whole Jurassic Park issue and those projects getting pulled out.

Interesting new piece. I'm waiting for the 1x1 plate with double clips.

Well LEGO GAF, your time has come where your creative talent can finally pay off.

NSFW-ish

Good luck LEGO GAF, let me know if someone of you wins.

Checking with my wife if I can enter.

ghostmind

Don't care. I'm don't sell anything. Its all going with me to the grave.

My point was that they short-shipped the Advent Calendars as compared to previous years, so you aren't going to find the deals on them like they had in the past. Both calendars were sold out before Christmas, so if you are interested in getting the minifigs inside, I would grab it if you can find it for anything under MSRP.

MjFrancis

These TMNT 2014 sets seem as bad as the recent Super Hero sets. Disappointments all around.
After the holiday rush, where most Lego sets disappear from the store shelves, TMNT and Chima sets still litter the shelves at most of the stores I've seen.

Following up with these sets is probably a bad idea. I didn't like the new Ninjago sets either, though. I should have bought way more of the first run.

Kuntz

Tomorrow, second 4-hour trip to the nearest lego store. I shouldn't...

Anyway looking forward to the moc contast, I still suck being new to the lego craze (well, after a 20-year pause) but if I can find the set tomorrow I'll try!

After the holiday rush, where most Lego sets disappear from the store shelves, TMNT and Chima sets still litter the shelves at most of the stores I've seen.

Following up with these sets is probably a bad idea. I didn't like the new Ninjago sets either, though. I should have bought way more of the first run.

LEGO monitors the sales of themes closely. There are themes that had future waves that never saw the day of light due to poor sales. Alien Conquest is one such theme. With Chima, they already have a form of commitment with the TV show going on.
We'll see if Ninjago can recapture some of its former glory with the new season starting. I like the newer Ninjago wave better than the last wave with the stone army. Light Temple was an exception as that is a nice looking set.

Tomorrow, second 4-hour trip to the nearest lego store. I shouldn't...

Anyway looking forward to the moc contast, I still suck being new to the lego craze (well, after a 20-year pause) but if I can find the set tomorrow I'll try!

It's about the fun! Doesn't matter if you suck as long as you have fun!

cassidyarch

Neo Member
Has this been posted yet? Benny figure from Sea Cow & Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP.

BesKBceCQAAWSRp.jpg

I'm torn. On the one hand, it's a tribute to my favorite minifig of all time: Classic Blue Spaceman. On the other hand...the faux damage is really upsetting!

That new classic helmet is much thicker than the original. Please make an un-damaged version, please make an un-damaged version...

NeoZylom

Oh noes. I am done building Unexpected Gathering... Wondering if I should buy another set or just wait a little bit. It will get expensive very quickly at this rate :(

Top Bottom