• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really liked the 2 HP games... After LOTR, they are probably the best Lego games i've played... oh wait i forgot about Lego Batman... and City Undercover which i am playing right now and looks to trump them all.

Nevermind ;)

I really like the structure of Potter, I like the way the hub opens up as you play the game and how it changes as the story dictates (for instance the Weasleys' magic shop starts off empty, then it's full of stuff & crowds of kids, and finally it's empty again). I hope Jurassic Park takes a similar line with the islands gradually becoming available.

I really like the structure of Potter, I like the way the hub opens up as you play the game and how it changes as the story dictates (for instance the Weasleys' magic shop starts off empty, then it's full of stuff & crowds of kids, and finally it's empty again). I hope Jurassic Park takes a similar line with the islands gradually becoming available.

Well yeah, it helps that this is probably the best representation of HP in video game form EVER as well... I also loved just roaming around Hogwarts, chilling and solving little puzzles to collect a few more bricks etc. besides doing the actual story missions. It kinda made you feel at home.

JP could be greatness if done right even if the movies turned to shit after the 1st!

Rootbeer

Banned
Apparently the TMNT license has moved over to MegaBloks, which is why we haven't seen any new/upcoming LEGO sets.

I'm sad :(

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...e-mutant-ninja-turtles-in-2016-291716041.html

But I do think MB has made strides to improve their products. I will definitely be checking out their TMNT sets and hope they release more characters that LEGO never did. Becuase TMNT has a *LOT* of characters. :p

Guess this further crushes the hopes for an eventual LEGO TMNT game too.

ghostmind

Looks like the initial wave of Force Awakens sets will all be vehicles:

75099 Lead Hero Craft 26,99 Euro
75100 Villain Craft 49,99 Euro
75101 Villain Starcraft 69,99 Euro
75102 Hero Starfighter 89,99 Euro
75103 Villain Transport 99,99 Euro
75104 Lead Villain Vehicle 119,99 Euro
75105 Hero Vehicle 149,99 Euro

3N16MA

Banned
What is the reason behind LEGO losing TMNT? Seems like a perfect fit considering the popularity of LEGO is at an all-time high and TMNT has once again become a merchandise monster with kids (and adults) because of the Nickelodeon show.

Rootbeer

Banned
My theory is the Ninja Turtles brand is not a perfect fit for LEGO because of Ninjago and they are clearly gearing up to push Ninjago even harder as the film is coming to theaters pretty soon.

Having another Ninja brand under their umbrella could be diluting things for them. This way they can focus more on Ninjago

I don't like it but that's how I'm seeing it.

So you may ask "If that is the case, why did they even take TMNT to begin with when they already had Ninjago?"

That's anybody's guess :p It's hard to pass up a hot new property, maybe. but TMNT has had a few years and the brand, while doing well, isn't exactly setting things on fire

ghostmind

My theory is the Ninja Turtles brand is not a perfect fit for LEGO because of Ninjago and they are clearly gearing up to push Ninjago even harder as the film is coming to theaters pretty soon.

Having another Ninja brand under their umbrella could be diluting things for them. This way they can focus more on Ninjago

So you may ask "If that is the case, why did they even take TMNT to begin with when they already had Ninjago?"

That's anybody's guess :p It's hard to pass up a hot new property, maybe. but TMNT has had a few years and the brand, while doing well, isn't exactly setting things on fire

These license deal are made years in advance, and the original plan for Ninjago was to end it back in 2013.

As much as I am a licensed theme fan, it's cool to see one of LEGO's own themes succeed. If the movie is decent, Ninjago could reach new heights of popularity.

Looks like the initial wave of Force Awakens sets will all be vehicles:

75099 Lead Hero Craft 26,99 Euro
75100 Villain Craft 49,99 Euro
75101 Villain Starcraft 69,99 Euro
75102 Hero Starfighter 89,99 Euro
75103 Villain Transport 99,99 Euro
75104 Lead Villain Vehicle 119,99 Euro
75105 Hero Vehicle 149,99 Euro

75102 to be the new Sex Wing? Seems a bit pricey for it compared to the old one. Maybe the second wave will have it.

But I think it is safe to say 75105 is the new Falcon.

I built R2-D2 as soon as I got home from my work trip but didn't get around to taking pictures until now. Holy crap, this thing looks good!

lego_ucs_r2-d2_03.jpg

YES! Worth double that in my book.

Such an awesome set and a perfect display piece. Highly detailed, and doesn't take up a ton of room.

I was going to shove him into my new dedicated Lego display, but I might just have him in the living room alongside my Bubble Bobble plushies. He's certainly iconic enough.

Experien

My guess is just resources...along with the ninja thing, Star Wars is about to EXPLODE and Marvel is exploding. They can only make so many sets so might as well let that one go.

Still so sad.

Finally finished my Milano stand. I prettied it up, and added figure stands on the front. I could make it a bit smoother, but I happy with it.

I can easily add an extension behind Drax to give Groot a space, but I need to get the set with him still.

Great job on the display Phon! I love how you incorporated the colors of the ship into the figure display stand.

My only complaint is regarding the bricks beneath Ronan's right foot. Squeeze those bricks together!! My anal retentiveness screamed when I saw the last pic. haha

Rootbeer

Banned
As much as I am a licensed theme fan, it's cool to see one of LEGO's own themes succeed. If the movie is decent, Ninjago could reach new heights of popularity.

Well for me personally that is going to take a lot... it's a very dumbed-down property as compared to TMNT. The themes in Ninjago are nowhere near as interesting either. But I've been trying to give it its chance to win me over. It's been a long process :) This is after considering that neither property is directly targeting people in my age range, but I'm used to that.

One thing I do like about Ninjago is it really pushes the ninja/eastern themes much harder than TMNT. In TMNT it tends to get lost amongst all the other things going on. Although in the new show I feel like they are TRYING to make it more relevant, you'll hear them use Japanese words a lot more and Splinter actually sounds Japanese this time.

What is the reason behind LEGO losing TMNT? Seems like a perfect fit considering the popularity of LEGO is at an all-time high and TMNT has once again become a merchandise monster with kids (and adults) because of the Nickelodeon show.

My theory is they didn't sell well enough so LEGO didn't renegotiate the contract when it ended. Or maybe Mega Bloks offered more money after LEGO's contract ended.

Bottom line I think is the minifigs were awesome, but the sets were not appealing.
I think the lair one and the cheapest sets in both waves were decent. I was mixed on Baxter's robot. Can't completely blame LEGO as some of it was the designs from the cartoon that they had to work with.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm interested in the figures mega bloks will be making. Also in the possibility of blind bags like they've done with a lot of their other themes.

So if it means I can get more brick-centric TMNT figures that LEGO never produced then of course I'm going to be following it closely. I'm still saddened but there's an neverending flood of amazing LEGO products so losing some as LEGO continues to try new things is to be expected. TMNT has been seen as being on LEGO's chopping block for well over a year so it's no shock

Great job on the display Phon! I love how you incorporated the colors of the ship into the figure display stand.

My only complaint is regarding the bricks beneath Ronan's right foot. Squeeze those bricks together!! My anal retentiveness screamed when I saw the last pic. haha
Oops. It separated a bit there when carrying it.

Better?

I'm sad :(

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...e-mutant-ninja-turtles-in-2016-291716041.html

But I do think MB has made strides to improve their products. I will definitely be checking out their TMNT sets and hope they release more characters that LEGO never did. Becuase TMNT has a *LOT* of characters. :p

Guess this further crushes the hopes for an eventual LEGO TMNT game too.

Mega Bloks had Ninja Turtles before. I bought my sister one of their sets several years ago.

In regaurds to that Jurassic World raptor set on the last page, I'm surprised Lego made a special new mould just for the facial harnesses. I wonder what else those will be used for in the future to offset costs?

Ryuuroden

In regaurds to that Jurassic World raptor set on the last page, I'm surprised Lego made a special new mould just for the facial harnesses. I wonder what else those will be used for in the future to offset costs?

I didn't look, but they didn't make a removable harness? That really surprises me. Ruins moc-ability

EDIT: just checked, I get what your saying, it is removable but its a unique piece. I thought you meant they made a whole new raptor mold with it molded to it which would blow. I am sure we will figure out ways to use it ^_^

I don't mind that Jurassic World set. I would only be buying it for the dinosaurs and Chris Pratt minifig (that's the only set he's in right?) Plus my son would love the truck.

i don't know how the rules work for new moulds nowadays. It seems like LEGO has gone crazy with new moulds lately. I think LEGO may have loosened up a bit on that area since they have been making crap loads of money the past few years.

If you look at a theme like Chima, there are lots of unique moulds that have little or no reusability.

Draxal

My theory is they didn't sell well enough so LEGO didn't renegotiate the contract when it ended. Or maybe Mega Bloks offered more money after LEGO's contract ended.

Bottom line I think is the minifigs were awesome, but the sets were not appealing.
I think the lair one and the cheapest sets in both waves were decent. I was mixed on Baxter's robot. Can't completely blame LEGO as some of it was the designs from the cartoon that they had to work with.

I'm going with Ninjago myself, you don't want to have themes complement each other and not fight each other.

Ninjago is a great complement to the other licensed themes because it skews much younger.

Well for me personally that is going to take a lot... it's a very dumbed-down property as compared to TMNT. The themes in Ninjago are nowhere near as interesting either. But I've been trying to give it its chance to win me over. It's been a long process :) This is after considering that neither property is directly targeting people in my age range, but I'm used to that.

One thing I do like about Ninjago is it really pushes the ninja/eastern themes much harder than TMNT. In TMNT it tends to get lost amongst all the other things going on. Although in the new show I feel like they are TRYING to make it more relevant, you'll hear them use Japanese words a lot more and Splinter actually sounds Japanese this time.

I wouldn't use dumb down ... I would just say it skews younger than the other licensed themes like some city sets.

I don't mind that Jurassic World set. I would only be buying it for the dinosaurs and Chris Pratt minifig (that's the only set he's in right?) Plus my son would love the truck.

Yep, unless they do a preorder bonus figure of him or a second wave, that's the only set Owen is in. Which seems suuuper weird to me? Also my dream will be a Wave 2 that has sets based on all the movies, like the game will be. They GOTTA make a JP Explorer set ;___;

i don't know how the rules work for new moulds nowadays. It seems like LEGO has gone crazy with new moulds lately. I think LEGO may have loosened up a bit on that area since they have been making crap loads of money the past few years.

If you look at a theme like Chima, there are lots of unique moulds that have little or no reusability.

Yeah they really have gone haywire with new moulds. Every time I see one I wonder how the designers will use it in unique and creative ways for future sets. Take Unikitty's tail for example, and how they used it in Detective's Office, or the CMF Yeti's face being repurposed into the Chima Beaver mechanic. I've also been wondering how we'll see the square Minecraft heads used in future builds, like a clear one for a new kind of street lamp.

Certain things obviously only have one use like Steve's armor or certain weapons from Ninjago and Chima, but I look at things like the flames used for the wings of the $20 Pheonix set and I see them being repurposed as blades for Bionicle really easily if they haven't already, or even solid green to be used as trees/vines in a modular. Same with the new pieces from the Friends hot air balloon, could those be used as sails in a future set?

One of the things I love most about Lego is stuff like this, seeing all the amazing imaginative ways people use non-standard parts. :D

melike75

Neo Member
So guys - I just spent the week working on the Simpsons house and was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed it. My wife was doing the Tower of Orthanc so it was a nice contrast on our table with the black bricks vs the multicolour madness in my pile.

Question though - I really enjoyed the attention to detail and the variety of colours - which made me think - should I be trying out the Friends line? I know thats supposed to have great little touches and attention to detail as well as the crazy colours but the subject matter obviously is not aimed at me - plus I really am not a fan of the mini-dolls.

Essentially - If i liked the Simpsons house will I like Friends and can anyone recommend some great Friends sets?

Tanks!

Kito

Bump codes for Minifigures S12 failed me. I was gunning for Wizard, Piggy Guy, Spooky Girl. Bought 3 packs at £2.49 each with matching bump codes and I only scored the latter. The others were the worst of the set: Warrior and Prospector :(

Feeling really is the only way to go.

melike75

Neo Member
My son and I finally got 100% completion on Lego Marvel. Fantastic game and easily my favourite.

Yep - we loved it too. Great game - levels got a tad repetitive with every second one being some kind of lab but whatever.

Still Undercover is the BEST lego game by far - I would love if they took the undercover template and used that for future Lego games...

Finished playing batman 3 about halfway through - i just ..dont care I guess. Its good - finished all the levels and was going through it again to get all the collectables ..but I dont know..just didnt work for me enough to 100% it.

Yep - we loved it too. Great game - levels got a tad repetitive with every second one being some kind of lab but whatever.

Still Undercover is the BEST lego game by far - I would love if they took the undercover template and used that for future Lego games...

Finished playing batman 3 about halfway through - i just ..dont care I guess. Its good - finished all the levels and was going through it again to get all the collectables ..but I dont know..just didnt work for me enough to 100% it.

I haven't played Undercover, is that the one that's only on Wii U?

I feel the same about Batman 3. It doesn't seem as fun to go through at 100%. Maybe it's because I don't love DC as much as Marvel, half the characters I don't even know. My son and I are going through the Lego Movie story atm, not really feeling it.

So guys - I just spent the week working on the Simpsons house and was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed it. My wife was doing the Tower of Orthanc so it was a nice contrast on our table with the black bricks vs the multicolour madness in my pile.

Question though - I really enjoyed the attention to detail and the variety of colours - which made me think - should I be trying out the Friends line? I know thats supposed to have great little touches and attention to detail as well as the crazy colours but the subject matter obviously is not aimed at me - plus I really am not a fan of the mini-dolls.

Essentially - If i liked the Simpsons house will I like Friends and can anyone recommend some great Friends sets?

Tanks!
I haven't bought a ton of them, but what I have bought from Friends has been great. It seems to be everything that is missing from the City theme. My favorite thing in each set I got was the little details, much like what you enjoyed most about Simpsons House. The colors that come with the theme are also nice, but I haven't used many of them extensively yet. But it is nice to get many of the new colors, and sometimes in larger quantities.

melike75

Neo Member
I haven't played Undercover, is that the one that's only on Wii U?

I feel the same about Batman 3. It doesn't seem as fun to go through at 100%. Maybe it's because I don't love DC as much as Marvel, half the characters I don't even know. My son and I are going through the Lego Movie story atm, not really feeling it.

Yes it is - It was almost worth getting the Wii U solely for crazily enough - both my wife and I completed it 100% and my 10 and 5 year old both finished the story mode as well.
If you were a fan of the old collectathons then you'll like it. It does open world so much better than the best of the other LEGO games and it has a great sense of humour.

I'm the same as you with DC - I'm a huge fan of Marvel, involved with Marvel in my work as well so its a huge part of my life so always going to have more fun with that than DC..

melike75

Neo Member
So Fone ..or anyone else... if I wanted to try the best of the Friends set what would people recommend? Dolphin Cruiser? Olivias House? Something else? That mansion coming out later this year looks pretty great..

Tanks!

It's nearly impossible to find anywhere, but Olivia's House 3315 was supposed to be really nice. You could move the rooms around too.

I would check these out:
LEGO Friends Heartlake High 41005
LEGO Friends 41095 Emma's House is new. Something about the house seems bare to me, but that just may be the open design due to lots of windows.

If you really like detailed buildings, Modulars are the way to go. I've heard Parisian Restaurant and Detectives Office are spectacular.

ghostmind

melike75

Neo Member
Big fan of the modulars already - got them from Fire Brigade to Parisian restaurant.
Lotsa Friends recommendations - thanks guys. I'll look through them ..

Big fan of the modulars already - got them from Fire Brigade to Parisian restaurant.
Lotsa Friends recommendations - thanks guys. I'll look through them ..

Ghostmind's list is pretty damn good. I don't have nearly that many of them, but he did post every one that I did buy, and I have loved them all. Dolphin Cruiser is probably my personal favorite, but I am biased because it was nice to finally get ship hull pieces in white for the first time.

Edit: now to plot a stand for SPACESHIP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom