• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rootbeer

Banned
I hope the Kwik-E-Mart is a huge success so that we'll get more buildings. I think this was a solid choice for the 2nd building, I wonder whey would do next... I know Moe's is a favorite selection, if only LEGO would consider making a Bar, which who knows, maybe they'll go against convention and do it. The School or The Android's Dungeon & Baseball Card Shop could work. As long as it's a setting that would give us a lot of options for all-new character inclusions.

Is this supposed to be hard to get?

I saw three on my local toy store (with 20% discount which usually means approaches regular US retail price here), and decided to nab it for my daughters birthday which isn't for a couple months at least.

I figured it would be a popular set.

They are hard to find at retail. Dunno about LEGO retail stores though, as I don't get to visit them very often. Amazon has been constantly selling out within hours of each restock, too. This is the first time since it's release that I've seen it stay up for order on amazon for more than a little bit.

With Frozen 2 coming it's probably going to remain a very popular set even once it's out of print. I plan on picking one up.

Let's put it this way. The Frozen set released January 1st, and our store JUST got it back in stock this past week. The only other time I ever saw it in our store, someone was returning one and another person in line bought it before we'd even put it back on the shelf.

I don't know if Targets or TRUs fared better but it's been elusive as hell at Lego stores. And apparently on S@H too?

Rootbeer

Banned
Let's put it this way. The Frozen set released January 1st, and our store JUST got it back in stock this past week. The only other time I ever saw it in our store, someone was returning one and another person in line bought it before we'd even put it back on the shelf.

I don't know if Targets or TRUs fared better but it's been elusive as hell at Lego stores. And apparently on S@H too?

Well, I've checked the S@H listing many times these last few months just out of curiosity, and while it's usually not in stock for immediate shipping it's been available for order to ship when stock arrives very frequently. Which has me scratching my head as to why people are fumbling over themselves to get one... since you can easily order it there and wait if you're a little patient.

leng jai

I hope the Kwik-E-Mart is a huge success so that we'll get more buildings. I think this was a solid choice for the 2nd building, I wonder whey would do next... I know Moe's is a favorite selection, if only LEGO would consider making a Bar, which who knows, maybe they'll go against convention and do it. The School or The Android's Dungeon & Baseball Card Shop could work. As long as it's a setting that would give us a lot of options for all-new character inclusions.

They are hard to find at retail. Dunno about LEGO retail stores though, as I don't get to visit them very often. Amazon has been constantly selling out within hours of each restock, too. This is the first time since it's release that I've seen it stay up for order on amazon for more than a little bit.

With Frozen 2 coming it's probably going to remain a very popular set even once it's out of print. I plan on picking one up.

A school set would be too big, they'll probably release the Bus instead.

Well, I've checked the S@H listing many times these last few months just out of curiosity, and while it's usually not in stock for immediate shipping it's been available for order to ship when stock arrives very frequently. Which has me scratching my head as to why people are fumbling over themselves to get one... since you can easily order it there and wait if you're a little patient.
Resellers my friend, resellers. They're impatient, a lot of them have to pay with cash because their cards are flagged, etc. It's easier for them to have four friends walk into a Lego store than four friends set up accounts and have everything ship to four different addresses.

Rootbeer

Banned
I don't know what to order for my 2x VIP order! T__T I hate having this problem...

I know i"ll get 1 elves set and 1 easter seasonal set.. that's all I have settled on. I must reach the $75 threshhold :p

TancICS.jpg

y2LgDMw.jpg

Someone on Craigslist is paying $50 for a custom LEGO snowblower. I whipped this together this morning. Any suggestions for improvement?

What's so great about Elsa's Castle? Did i miss something? I mean from the looks of it it features a lot of those big transparent pieces and it has the usual dolls which i am not a fan of... Is it only popular because of the movie or is it considered a legitimate set on it's own?

3N16MA

Banned
What's so great about Elsa's Castle? Did i miss something? I mean from the looks of it it features a lot of those big transparent pieces and it has the usual dolls which i am not a fan of... Is it only popular because of the movie or is it considered a legitimate set on it's own?

There seems to be nothing too special about it. However Frozen merchandise sells like crazy and combining it with LEGO makes for a hot seller.

My niece wants it more than the Cinderella Castle which is a better set.

You probably don't have much use of my comparison between the 1989 and 2015 Pirates, but there's some pictures at least.

pirates_comparison3_small.jpg

Overall, these sets are neat but I'm tearing them down to make something much cooler.

The print process has improved so much over time. Even in the single color printing, one can see how much sharper the print is. Multiple color printing on the heads made the biggest difference. Never thought too much about it, but the new printing has to be extremely precise. They print it so there are thin outlines around the very small details. Old printings have no outlines.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I love the Sentinel figure so much.

In fact, the whole X-Men vs. The Sentinel set might be my favorite overall set that I own. I just love everything about it. The ship, the Sentinel, and the minifigs are all brilliant. And I would've never even given a thought to buying it if I hadn't found it for super cheap at Walmart. That set was/is such a wonderful surprise.

Also, as a massive Simpsons fan, I feel like I'm required to buy the Simpsons house (especially with double VIP points) even though it's so plain looking (I mean, it's accurate, so it's not LEGO's fault) and thus it doesn't really do a whole lot for me. Plus, since the minifigs it comes with are pretty terrible, I'd pretty much have to go and buy the Series 1 Simpsons minifigs as well, so that's like $275 right there for something I don't really want. But I also want the Kwik-E-Mart, but I can't have the Kwik-E-Mart without the Simpsons house, can I?
What a situation. Haha. Maybe I can pray that the Simpsons house will go to clearance or something.

Looks like car MOCers are making good use of the new car parts from Speed Champions.

Those are really nice. I wish the Speed Champions sets had that level of detail/accuracy. Granted, the cars in the Speed Champions sets are much more complex cars than Mustangs and have way more curves and details and whatnot.

Probably gonna pick up a Hulk Lab Smash. Would like to get another Red 5 but sounds like the Lego Police frown on that. Guess I'll pay a scalper aftermarket.

Oh goodness.

About to make my first bricklink order to gift my brother the 1 simpsons cmf he's missing.

I'm looking at throwing in other stuff into the order for my own enjoyment alongside it

This feels far too fun.

This site is dangerous.

mrkgoo

Looks like car MOCers are making good use of the new car parts from Speed Champions.

Those are cool. I bought the mcclaren p1 speed champions set, and while not perfect j love it anyway.

And thanks above for the frozen set replies. I'm glad I have one, my daughter is nuts for frozen, so hopefully she still loves it in a couple months enough to appreciate the Lego set.

Ryuuroden

I'm joking about getting your VIP card banned. There are no Lego Police. Well there are Lego Police... But you know what I meant.

You wouldn't get banned for buying multiples. I do it with modular sets all the time. These people getting banned are like going in and trying to empty the store or maxing out the online limits day after day. I usually spend a couple thousand dollars at a time on exclusives during double points

3N16MA

Banned
Picked up The Phantom for $15 and a bunch of series 13 minifigs for $2 each. I picked up some last week at 40% off and thought they would be all gone this week.

The Phantom was stashed behind several boxes. It looks like a tornado went through the toy aisles and The Phantom along with the minifigs just got buried.

That pretty much does it for LEGO at the Targets I visited. Completely cleared out other than items that get buried or randomly placed in different departments.

kitzkozan

Picked up The Phantom for $15 and a bunch of series 13 minifigs for $2 each. I picked up some last week at 40% off and thought they would be all gone this week.

The Phantom was stashed behind several boxes. It looks like a tornado went through the toy aisles and The Phantom along with the minifigs just got buried.

That pretty much does it for LEGO at the Targets I visited. Completely cleared out other than items that get buried or randomly placed in different departments.

Yeah, most canadian Target are picked clean of LEGO at this point. :s

That being said, it seems next week Toys'R'Us will have interesting Lego sets on sale. Just as the cineplex coupon is set to expire at the end of march, Lego movie sets should go on sale along with Galaxy Squad leftovers and some Creator (except for Benny's spaceship and the dropship of course lol). Interested in buying the super cycle chase for 20% off + the 10$ cineplex coupon since it was recommended by LEGO gaf among the best sets of 2014. :]

Ryuuroden

I just spent 103 dollars for 40 Classic Green 16x16 plates, not baseplates, but plates.....has to be shipped all the way from Belgium........still cheaper than PAB online and they don't have that color anyways :0 The landscape base of my Orthanc is a raised 6 48x48 baseplates in a 2 deep 3 wide formation.

The things I do for my 1/65th scale Orthanc.

Ponn

Banned
I just spent 103 dollars for 40 Classic Green 16x16 plates, not baseplates, but plates.....has to be shipped all the way from Belgium........still cheaper than PAB online and they don't have that color anyways :0 The landscape base of my Orthanc is a raised 6 48x48 baseplates in a 2 deep 3 wide formation.

The things I do for my 1/65th scale Orthanc.

You really are a hardcore fan of Isengard. Imagine if you put that much work into a scale Balrog MOC.

I know it's a ways away but what are the chances of the Red Five X-Wing going on sale for May 4th? If I remember last years sale wasn't as good as the previous year but I will need a X-Wing if i'm starting Star Wars. Would it be better to just wait and see what the Force Awakens sets look like instead?

ruxtpin

Banned
Snagged Helicarrier and a Detective Office during DVIP. Employee asked if I wanted a damaged box Detective Office for 500 extra VIP points. YUP!

I know it's a ways away but what are the chances of the Red Five X-Wing going on sale for May 4th? If I remember last years sale wasn't as good as the previous year but I will need a X-Wing if i'm starting Star Wars. Would it be better to just wait and see what the Force Awakens sets look like instead?

The UCS X-Wing out now is a great build and display piece (tho the window sticker is a sonofagun). Huge grain of salt, since I generally don't believe what a general sales associate says - but managers on high have seen the new Star Wars sets coming out later this year (or so I was told earlier today). No new UCS Falcon was the word, but like I said - if the managers are giving their associates no info, I don't know how they can claim to know much of anything.

Ponn

Banned
Snagged Helicarrier and a Detective Office during DVIP. Employee asked if I wanted a damaged box Detective Office for 500 extra VIP points. YUP!

The UCS X-Wing out now is a great build and display piece (tho the window sticker is a sonofagun). Huge grain of salt, since I generally don't believe what a general sales associate says - but managers on high have seen the new Star Wars sets coming out later this year (or so I was told earlier today). No new UCS Falcon was the word, but like I said - if the managers are giving their associates no info, I don't know how they can claim to know much of anything.

Ugh, I know the piece count/price ratio on that UCS X-Wing is a killer but from what i'm hearing its actually worth it soooooo.....

I'm staring at this City Service Truck on S@H and wondering if I really want that port-a-potty for $25.

Ugh, I know the piece count/price ratio on that UCS X-Wing is a killer but from what i'm hearing its actually worth it soooooo.....

I'm staring at this City Service Truck on S@H and wondering if I really want that port-a-potty for $25.

Bricklink is your friend. If you have all your sets in Brickset you can see what parts you already have for that port-a-potty using Rebrickable.

3N16MA

Banned
You really are a hardcore fan of Isengard. Imagine if you put that much work into a scale Balrog MOC.

Depends if you want an OT X-Wing or if you're OK with new one.

The Red Five is really fantastic. The best part of the build is the main body. The set also looks awesome on display.

Also, you will need something for your impending UCS TIE Fighter to fight with.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yes. The regular one released last year and then the 2012 UCS model that only lived six months before being retired. Damn shame too, because the UCS is so awesome.

I want that one. That and Slave I are the only star wars set that aren't bland due to the colors.

Rootbeer

Banned
Rogue One you mean!

And yeah it is already "shipping in 30 days" on S@H, orders have picked way up. I hope LEGO makes a lot more to meet the demand.

Come on LEGO... restock that Easter set... bleh

The top seller list is not loading right now either... great job as usual LEGO

leng jai

OOP?

Also Detective not really as good as Parisian?

Out of print. Lego stop producing sets after a certain date and the Pet Shop is the oldest one out of that batch. Parisian Cafe was my favourite out of 2014 and I wasn't really fan of the Detective modular (even though I've bought every single modular before that by default).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm going for a local brick seller and he still has Pets.

What makes Parisian the best out of the rest though?

Dunbar

I happened to be in a Lego store yesterday and I picked up that Parisian restaurant set. I only own a few other sets, but it seemed like an unusually good value to me at $160 for 2400+ pieces whereas the other sets I own were all $120-130 for 1200-1300 pieces.

And it is a really attractive set, I think I'm going to display it on a bookshelf once I finish it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom