• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponn

Banned
Man that Kwik-E Mart looks fantastic. I wasn't into the Simpsons House but how weird would it be to get the Kwik-E Mart but not the Simpsons House? It kinda looks like it would even fit in with a Modular or City setup.

Also I did go back and order a Tie Advanced Prototype as well, with some ferret food. Gotta hit that $35 mark.

Photos of your MOC to inspire others to buy multiples of that set. :)
I posted some pics a few pages back but I've done more work on the stand. I need to clean off my table and put a white sheet down for pics later.

I was wanting to wait before showing some of my current MOC, but I am too damn happy right now not to show the WIP.

But I'm not gonna follow so soon after this guy....goddamn. I wish I was at the skill level to make use of the gears and technic pegs I've collected. I need to play with them more.

omgkitty

So what else do you think we'll see after this? I feel like Moe's would be obvious, though given the fact that it's a bar, I highly doubt it would happen. Maybe The Homer? The school, or Krusty Burger?

ghostmind

So what else do you think we'll see after this? I feel like Moe's would be obvious, though given the fact that it's a bar, I highly doubt it would happen. Maybe The Homer? The school, or Krusty Burger?

There was a rumor about the Android's Dungeon comic shop, but I would think they would have to include another store if it is going to be as many pieces.

I feel odd about saying this, but that dumpster area on the side of the Kwik-E-Mart looks great! I really like it. Granted, the whole set looks fantastic and will be a must buy for me even though I passed on the Simpsons House.

I only bought Krusty, Itchy, and Scratchy from series 1, but series 2 has way more figures that I want. I think Lego hit a homerun with this and the Kwik-E-Mart.

Rootbeer

Banned
Boo! BOO! You guys keep quoating these insane discounts but my Targets have clearance marked down to only 20 or 25% MAX, I even re-checked today on some items. Seems to be a trend :(

Why are my stores so tight-assed

Definitely won't be seeing Moe's Tavern, but that should be easy to MOC. School would be boring IMO. Krusty Burger sounds good, but I'd think the Nuclear Plant would be next on the list. Not sure how they'd pull it off though if they included the actual reactor.

Boo! BOO! You guys keep quoating these insane discounts but my Targets have clearance marked down to only 20 or 25% MAX, I even re-checked today on some items. Seems to be a trend :(

Why are my stores so tight-assed

You need to go to the areas where customers don't have as much luxury income. From anecdotal experience, I've found that the lower income areas tend to have better discounts especially on the larger more expensive sets. 30% is generally the best I find, but sometimes I stop in other areas and get lucky with a 40-50% discount.

LEGO Star Wars collecting intensifies!

The title for the upcoming standalone Star Wars film, as well as the release dates for both it, and Episode VIII were revealed today.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (December 18, 2015)
Star Wars: Rogue One (December 16, 2016)
Star Wars Episode VIII (May 26, 2017)

MY GOD

This is much better news to me than the Simpsons reveals. For me, the Simpsons are about 10-15 years too late. Star Wars has been and will be with me forever.

Hopefully we can some awesome ships out of Rogue One.

Matt

So my girlfriend is gone for the weekend and I want to get a Lego to build, but I can't decide on one. I assumed I would get the Helicarrier, but it's just not grabbing me (for $100-$150 less it would be a no brainer). So, suggestions?

Rootbeer

Banned
So my girlfriend is gone for the weekend and I want to get a Lego to build, but I can't decide on one. I assumed I would get the Helicarrier, but it's just not grabbing me (for $100-$150 less it would be a no brainer). So, suggestions?

Do you like Star Wars? How about the Slave I. $200.
Simpsons? The Simpsons House.
If you are set on Super Heroes... The Tumbler or Quinjet

These are in that $200 range and make really good display pieces and are relatively large. Quinjet is a little smaller than the others. You could get The Milano to pair with it.

If you need a little inspiration you can look through the LEGO Catalogs... but they don't have the March 2015 one up yet.

Also: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/

3N16MA

Banned

MetalBeard's Sea Cow.

I'm most excited about Bartman and Fallout Boy, I'm disappointed Radioactive Man isn't in the series though

Not quite Fallout Boy. It's Millhouse as Fallout Boy. Kinda disappointed, I was hoping it was normal FOB meaning we'd have to get a Wave 3 with Radioactive Man.

The accessories for this wave look incredible. DAT CLEAR-TOPPED SQUISHEE CUP!!!!

Homer: 2x2 box of chocolate tile
Marge: Roses, 1x2 purse tile
Bart: Slingshot (new piece!! FINALLY!!)
Lisa: Snowball II!!
Maggie: Santa's Little Helper!!!
Millhouse: Buzz cola special mug thing
Comicbook Guy: 2x2 Everyman comic tile, Squishee cup (new piece!! AMAZING!)
Hans: 1x2 voided driver's license tile
Dr Hibbert: 2x2 x-ray of Homer's head tile
Groundskeeper Willie: Plunger
Miss Krabapple: Pink cup and 2x2 Gordie Howe tile
Smithers: 2x2 Malibu Stacy with NEW! hat tile
Prof Fink: Neon green beaker
Martin Prince: "Coping with a Higher IQ" book (is this a new piece?)
Selma: 2x2 eye test tile
Patty: Purse? Medical bag? I'm not sure I've ever seen that piece before.

Looks like it'll be pretty easy to tell who's who from accessories and head shapes.

--

I still don't have any kind of burning flame for the Simpsons House, but boy oh boy do I want that Kwik-E-Mart. So much interior detail!!! Plus, Snake!

Matt

Do you like Star Wars? How about the Slave I. $200.
Simpsons? The Simpsons House.
If you are set on Super Heroes... The Tumbler or Quinjet

These are in that $200 range and make really good display pieces and are relatively large. Quinjet is a little smaller than the others. You could get The Milano to pair with it.

Good list, I have the old Quinjet (which I think looks better), the Simpsons House, and the Milano already. I was thinking about the Tumbler or Slave I, but I heard some so-so things about the Tumbler, and I'm a Star Wars fan but not really a Boba Fett fan. Was also thinking about Fairground Mixer, but again, I just don't love it. Maybe I'll like it more combined with the Ferris Wheel (when it comes out)...

If you are going to jump in, why not just dive into the deep end.

10188-0000-xx-23-1.jpg

Remember, there is no kill like overkill.

Indeed. I purchased the UCS Imperial Star Destroyer a couple of weeks ago, my first set in more than 16 years. Now, I spent a good amount of money on it, but I sure don't regret it. Had loads of fun building it, despite my thumbs being covered in small bruises after pressing together too many lego plates in single a day!

It is a bit fragile in a few places but if you don't plan to move it, it's ok. It's definitely not swooshable. LOL

To 1138, a bit of advice. The inner technic framework in the front will bend/sag over time as there is too much weight with not enough support. I beefed up the framework with additional braces and 2 x 6 (or 8) plates. You'll know what I mean when you finish the inner frame. Mine hasn't had any issues with sagging because of this. And most of all, have fun!

Could you post a picture of the mod you made? I have to order a couple of missing pieces off bricklink, and I might as well order the parts for the mod.

Rootbeer

Banned
Good list, I have the old Quinjet (which I think looks better), the Simpsons House, and the Milano already. I was thinking about the Tumbler or Slave I, but I heard some so-so things about the Tumbler, and I'm a Star Wars fan but not really a Boba Fett fan. Was also thinking about Fairground Mixer, but again, I just don't love it. Maybe I'll like it more combined with the Ferris Wheel (when it comes out)...

Do you like the new Star Wars Rebels show? You could get the TIE Advanced Prototype or The Ghost (with The Phantom add-on) :p
Is there a release date for Simpsons CMF 2 or the Kwik-E Mart?

The announcement says: "Available May 1st, or for LEGO VIPs on April 15th."

That's a bit late... it should be early April for both the CMFs and the K-e-M

Matt

Do you like the new Star Wars Rebels show? You could get the TIE Advanced Prototype or The Ghost (with The Phantom add-on) :p

Have both of those (Ghost + Phantom was actually the last thing I built). Got Ghost for $20, only reason I bought it, but glad I did.

I built the La Ferrari. It's a great build and sooo complex for its size. I get Ecto-1 vibes from it. But it's definitely sticker hell.

Nevertheless, it will sit perfectly outside my fancy apartments, considering that I established that the penthouse guy was a former Ferrari pro driver and super rich. Maybe get some of those thousands of City crooks to steal the hubcaps off it :D

Not quite Fallout Boy. It's Millhouse as Fallout Boy. Kinda disappointed, I was hoping it was normal FOB meaning we'd have to get a Wave 3 with Radioactive Man.

The accessories for this wave look incredible. DAT CLEAR-TOPPED SQUISHEE CUP!!!!

Homer: 2x2 box of chocolate tile
Marge: Roses, 1x2 purse tile
Bart: Slingshot (new piece!! FINALLY!!)
Lisa: Snowball II!!
Maggie: Santa's Little Helper!!!
Millhouse: Buzz cola special mug thing
Comicbook Guy: 2x2 Everyman comic tile, Squishee cup (new piece!! AMAZING!)
Hans: 1x2 voided driver's license tile
Dr Hibbert: 2x2 x-ray of Homer's head tile
Groundskeeper Willie: Plunger
Miss Krabapple: Pink cup and 2x2 TROY MCCLURE tile (OMFG)
Smithers: 2x2 Malibu Stacy with NEW! hat tile
Prof Fink: Neon green beaker
Martin Prince: "Coping with a Higher IQ" book (is this a new piece?)
Selma: 2x2 eye test tile
Patty: Purse? Medical bag? I'm not sure I've ever seen that piece before.

Looks like it'll be pretty easy to tell who's who from accessories and head shapes.

--

I still don't have any kind of burning flame for the Simpsons House, but boy oh boy do I want that Kwik-E-Mart. So much interior detail!!! Plus, Snake!

The pic is of Gordie Howe.

The pic is of Gordie Howe.

Oh crap, you're totally right. Damn!! I'll edit my post.

Dream wish for Simpsons Series 3: Young Homer, Young Marge, Sunday Best Bart, Headgear Lisa, Another Stupid Maggie, Larry, Carl, Poochie, Radioactive Man, Principal Skinner, Jasper, Dr Nick, Shideshow Bob, Uter, Gerald Samson, and in a perfect world, Troy McClure.

Dream wish for 2016 set: Krusty Burger

Characters I'm scared we'll never get: Moe, Barney, Reverend Lovejoy, and dream wish of never, Duffman.

3N16MA

Banned
Oh crap, you're totally right. Damn!! I'll edit my post.

Dream wish for Simpsons Series 3: Young Homer, Young Marge, Sunday Best Bart, Headgear Lisa, Another Stupid Maggie, Larry, Carl, Poochie, Radioactive Man, Principal Skinner, Jasper, Dr Nick, Shideshow Bob, Uter, Gerald Samson, and in a perfect world, Troy McClure.

Dream wish for 2016 set: Krusty Burger

Characters I'm scared we'll never get: Moe, Barney, Reverend Lovejoy, and dream wish of never, Duffman.

Lionel Hutz with the smoking monkey.

After attaching the engines, I realized the underside was flat and super boring. So I added a sloped underside to each complete with movable turrets.

If that was a $250 normal pirate ship/naval ship that would be easy, but I don't really like the Lego Movie look, and the current pirate ship is pretty underwhelming.

Sea Cow bro. Sea Cow. My personal favorite set of last year, and it was on many Gaffers top 5s for the year too. The build is so awesome, and it is also a wealth of useful parts for MOCs later.

leng jai

Sea Cow bro. Sea Cow. My personal favorite set of last year, and it was on many Gaffers top 5s for the year too. The build is so awesome, and it is also a wealth of useful parts for MOCs later.

It's a niche design - plenty of people hated it also including myself. Is it still possible to buy the Imperial Flagship over there? That would be a good option for a "serious" ship.

Maengun1

Simpsons overload!!

Kwik-E-Mart is amazing, and a must have for me. I can't believe they actually included Jasper as Frostilicus...I had thought that was a pipe dream when I posted about it earlier. Of course, it's just a sticker and not an actual minifig...but it's nice to know he's on their radar. Maybe he'll be included if they do a CMF series 3.

The price is good for the piece count...but since the house was $200 with almost 400 more pieces I had optimistically been hoping for maybe like $180 for this one. Ah well, still pretty good. The set is gorgeous and insanely detailed.

Love the minifigs. I was thinking of maybe skipping the actual family members this time, but I'm sure I'll grab them all again. Santa's Little Helper and Snowball II are must have accessories. Marge minifigs always seem to get the worst extra pieces.

I've never bought more than 1 of a minifig before, but I have a strange urge to pick up a couple Molemen. The idea of a Moleman army makes me laugh.

Ponn

Banned

Seconded. Plus it's pretty easy to modify it to your tastes if you wanted. There is some amazing looking details on the cabin sections and the hull with cannons.

Looks good so far. What is the expected piece count when it is all done?

I don't want to know. Each engine is several hundred pieces. Just the engine block that is offset at the angle is 98 pieces. That is the only part I counted. And just doing a visual count of the underside right now it is at least 85 pieces for each of those undercarriages I added on.

Right now building up the main body section. I might finish this layer by tomorrow night and then start on the main deck afterwards.

Ponn

Banned
Looks good so far. What is the expected piece count when it is all done?

Sorry, I had to do it.

So i'm having another dopey muscle relaxer night and I was thinking of something. You know right now the set creators at Lego have access to all the new Star Wars movie vehicles and plans and are making the sets right now. Like, right now. Let that sink in seriously.

More of the main body down now. I have no idea what to do for the front of the ship for the build up though. I might steal a page from Sea Cow and how they got the angles on the front of that, but I don't think I have enough brown bow pieces to pull that off without disassembling the Sea Cow.

Edit: Oh, God. I was about to go to bed and saw that I screwed up big time. Notice how the beam under the engine has a one stud gap at the front? It shouldn't. I accidentally laid that down one stud back from where I should. Thankfully for now the engines could slide off, so I was able to realign it. Not only that, but doing so enabled me to add some more braces for durability to the main body. And also make this thing even more back heavy.

Phon: I wonder, for huge builds like this one, since you have no instructions obviously, how do you build TWO of the same, like those engines for instance? I mean do you write down every step or how do you recreate the exact same thing AGAIN with 100s of pieces after you're done with the first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom