• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not the size, but how you use the bricks that matter.

There's a dirty joke in there somewhere, isn't there?

Either way, i will insta buy Wall-E of course, i just can't help but wonder how awesome it would be to have one to scale since for once the actual possibility of having a 1:1 model in Lego would NOT be so ridiculously out of reach as say a car or a plane...

Rootbeer

Banned
The Secret World of LEGO is on youtube as reported by TheBrickFan. Not going to link it because I'm not certain of its legality. What I will say is several LEGO news sites are linking to it. So if you are outside of the UK (the only place it has aired that I know of), you might think about this option

wetwired

The Secret World of LEGO is on youtube as reported by TheBrickFan. Not going to link it because I'm not certain of its legality. What I will say is several LEGO news sites are linking to it. So if you are outside of the UK (the only place it has aired that I know of), you might think about this option

just watched it, interesting, thankfully it's not just another factory tour like that previous documentary (which was fine, just thankful this isn't going over the same stuff)

gerg

I'm only two-thirds of the way through the documentary (so maybe there's a final-act twist), but, my word, The Lego Group really does come across as a didactic organisation. Given the message of The Lego Movie it is befittingly ironic.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm only two-thirds of the way through the documentary (so maybe there's a final-act twist), but, my word, The Lego Group really does come across as a didactic organisation. Given the message of The Lego Movie it is befittingly ironic.

I liked the part early on where they are having a meeting to discuss a hotdog costume minifig, and towards the end of the section the interviewer realises that they've recreated an old meeting, that had long been resolved (and the final product was released) because they couldn't allow them to film a real meeting talking about a future product due to secrecy.

Osahi

Received my order today. Snowspeeder and Double-Decker Couch. Saving the snowspeeder for in two weeks time, as I have a big deadline coming up and I want to 'reward' myself with a little build afterwards.

Build the Double Decker Couch imediatly though. Bought it because I liked the running gag in the film, and I could get my hands on some fun minifigs (to bad they didn't add Batman and Wyldstyle).. It was a suprisingly fun build to. All those little parts turn something as small as this in quite an interesting build. The little car is really cool to.

But boy, the minifigs are where this shines. 4 + minikitty. And i really love the Lego Movie characters. Just to bad they didn't make the alternative face for unikitty complete. Would be easy if you just could swap the complete head in stead of having to break apart the little pieces. They just needed to add an extra white 1 by 3 and a small pink cheese wedge...

But I MOCed it with some extra pieces I had left from my modulars. Had enough cheese wedges in shiny colours, so sad face Unikity has dark yellow ears in stead of pink ones now.

gerg

I liked the part early on where they are having a meeting to discuss a hotdog costume minifig, and towards the end of the section the interviewer realises that they've recreated an old meeting, that had long been resolved (and the final product was released) because they couldn't allow them to film a real meeting talking about a future product due to secrecy.

I found that slightly reasonable.

What got me was the list of rules at the London office with "no exceptions" written at the bottom, and then the staff member suggesting that people are expected to "police themselves". It made me feel that the standard LEGO minifigure face (with the blank smile) was perhaps something of a suggestion for staff as well.

ghostmind

On the Simpsons Dimensions Level Pack, there are three locations featured on the cover:

The Simpsons House
Kwik-E-Mart
Krusty Burger

Perhaps a hint for next year's set? IMO, it would make more sense the Android Card & Comic store that was rumored earlier.

shiba5

Has anyone bought the Jurassic World sets? Are they worth the higher price?

I want the dinos, but the sets themselves aren't grabbing me.

Watched it last night. Really nice insight on a number of things. Reminds me of intense critiques of work doing studio art in grad school.

Has anyone bought the Jurassic World sets? Are they worth the higher price?

I want the dinos, but the sets themselves aren't grabbing me.

I wanted the Raptor set after watching the movie but felt the set just wasn't worth the price.
The $50 raptor one is decent. I haven't gotten the smaller raptor one that is retailer exclusive.
Of all the sets, the best one in my opinion is the dilophosaur set. It has a cool build, good figures and Dino, and is only $30.

But the best Dino figures are the raptors and T. rex.

On the Simpsons Dimensions Level Pack, there are three locations featured on the cover:

The Simpsons House
Kwik-E-Mart
Krusty Burger

Perhaps a hint for next year's set? IMO, it would make more sense the Android Card & Comic store that was rumored earlier.

Excellent find.

I would prefer the Comic store, but I think Krusty Burger makes more sense. Krusty is much more known and it makes for a more interesting build (signage and interior) and "play set".

shiba5

The $50 raptor one is decent. I haven't gotten the smaller raptor one that is retailer exclusive.
Of all the sets, the best one in my opinion is the dilophosaur set. It has a cool build, good figures and Dino, and is only $30.

The big white dino looks pretty cool too. Not sure I want to drop $130 on it though.

Dimensions Portal trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8X-vLGUPjc

I wonder how closely they worked with Valve on this. The puzzles with Lego elements look like they operate just like classic Portal puzzles would. I guess each minifig has a special ability, and Chell's is the ability to create portals with the gun.

Ok this looks REALLY cool. Someone is finally doing gameplay stuff with the NFC portal instead of just sticking the figure on it and leaving it there.

shiba5

I bought both raptor sets, promptly removed and assembled the raptors, and left the rest in the boxes.

I wanted the husky dogs from the Arctic set and found someone on eBay who was selling them separately (still in the sealed bag). I hope I can find the dinos at some point.

I wanted the husky dogs from the Arctic set and found someone on eBay who was selling them separately (still in the sealed bag). I hope I can find the dinos at some point.

Heh I doubt you'll be the only one there. The dinos interest me greatly. The sets not so much

I just wish they had made the T-Rex set come with an Explorer instead of some ridiculous contraption that doesn't exist. That could have made a nice "throwback" set opposed to the one we got.

From what I understand, (possible JW spoilers about what dinos are/aren't in the movie)
the Dilophosaurus isn't even in the movie, it's just on a list or a hologram?
SMH.

I just wish they had made the T-Rex set come with an Explorer instead of some ridiculous contraption that doesn't exist. That could have made a nice "throwback" set opposed to the one we got.

From what I understand, (possible JW spoilers about what dinos are/aren't in the movie)
the Dilophosaurus isn't even in the movie, it's just on a list or a hologram?
SMH.

Yes it's only an hologram

I'm glad that set has a lot of bley parts so it will be a useful parts pack. The last LEGO theme was all yellow parts. Not the most reusable color.

A lot of useful white and blue parts through all the JW sets as well. I need to grab the iRex set still, but that looks to have a lot of great bley parts in it as well.

Ryuuroden

If I have time, my convention piece will be posted on here somewhere between 20 and 24 hours from now....I hope.... I'll be in Chicago when I post it. I'll also be posting it in Eurobricks and a few flickr groups.

Yes it's only an hologram

So stupid [of them to make a set off that].

Why the hell didn't they use the old Triceratops moulds. Just make it a new color to fit with the movie and stick it in a set with a vet and a jeep, and it would work as a throwback set AND a new set (I believe the trailers show a petting zoo area with Trikes in it?)

So angry that I'll have to (lol "have" to) shell out crazy prices for the old Triceratops fig.

Osahi

Jeez, you americans have all the luck. That dilophosaur set us 45 euros here -_-

SqJ0zyb.jpg

I got my sister to build LEGO for the first time since she was just a kid. She was really surprise at how details the set are, and it did take her and her friend quite a bit of time to put this set together, but they really enjoy it. Also they don't seem to mind the stickers and enjoy applying them.

Osahi

Get used to it, that is even considered a pretty good deal...

Apparently the aussies have it even worse than us though from what i hear :(

I know. But it is just to expensive for a set that size to me. Damn dino tax.

Anyway, I did a great deal today. The multimediashop Fnac where I buy most of my cd's, dvd's and books started selling toys a few years back to counter the declining media sales. They have a small section of Lego's, usually one or two City lines, the major Star Wars stuff and Ninjago + whatever is the new licenced line. And because they have little shelf space, they do great discounts when new series arrived.

This time. The Lego Movie sets have to go in favor of Jurassic Park. And they still had five spaceship, spaceship, SPAAAAASHIIIPs! So they slashed it to 72 euros! That's almost half price. (original pricetag: 130 euros)

Couldn't resist, allthough i did not plan on getting a big set like that any time soon, since I just got the AT-AT and bought the Snowspeeder (which was really expensive for less then 300 bricks) few days back.

But damn.

SPAAAACESHIIIIIP!

Experien

I wonder if the dilophosaur set was meant to be a JP1 set? All you'd need to do is swap the blue bricks for red and add Nedry.

Nah, it gives you a unique and somewhat favorite dinosaur along with a cool jeep and a main character.

Actually the name spoils the movie cause it is called Dilophosaurus ambush, which it does as a hologram to the raptor at the end.

I know. But it is just to expensive for a set that size to me. Damn dino tax.

Anyway, I did a great deal today. The multimediashop Fnac where I buy most of my cd's, dvd's and books started selling toys a few years back to counter the declining media sales. They have a small section of Lego's, usually one or two City lines, the major Star Wars stuff and Ninjago + whatever is the new licenced line. And because they have little shelf space, they do great discounts when new series arrived.

This time. The Lego Movie sets have to go in favor of Jurassic Park. And they still had five spaceship, spaceship, SPAAAAASHIIIPs! So they slashed it to 72 euros! That's almost half price. (original pricetag: 130 euros)

Couldn't resist, allthough i did not plan on getting a big set like that any time soon, since I just got the AT-AT and bought the Snowspeeder (which was really expensive for less then 300 bricks) few days back.

But damn.

SPAAAACESHIIIIIP!
Great find! SPACESHIP!

Osahi

Great find! SPACESHIP!

I know. The guy at the counter raised his eyebrows when he scanned it. 'Is this the right price?" "Eh, yeah buddy, it sais so right on top of the box"

They had some more bigger boxes at slashed prices. Like this 3 in 1 pack from the Clone Wars line:

asset-281747.jpg

for 58 euros. i'm not really into Old Trilogy or Clone Wars vehicles, and the only one I care about in this set is the Jedi Interceptor so i decided against it (also: i would be out of money to buy hobby stuff for the rest of june), but I guess this is a sweet deal too.

They had a City set too, I think the police HQ (didn't really look at it), a Friends set and a bigger Ninjago one. But as those lines don't really interest me I didn't really gave it a big look. July is Sales-month here in Belgium, and then they'll probably clear out some smaller sets to. Will have a look then. With any luck they throw the Tie Prototype in there

Can't believe i overlooked the Microfighter Republic Gunship in my search for a suitable Clone Pilot for my actual Republic Gunship set i ordered a while back.

Soon, it will be fully manned!

(Too bad Captain Rex is either hard to get from that old set or sucks in his newer iteration with that cape)

Ryuuroden

Hello. This is my first mega- build. It took me almost a year to build and more to plan. It is a 1/65 scale Tower of Orthanc from Lord of the Rings and stands at 8 feet 9 inches. It contains somewhere around 75,000 bricks. The Tower is built as a cut away and has a fully lighted and furnished interior. I made sure to include every detail I could think of. I got inspiration from many sources but a lot of it is just loosely based on them as many of the features originate in how I imagine the tower looked like. One example of this is I made the 4 large spires at the time much more prominent then seen in the movie and in many drawings. I just felt they looked much cooler this way. This will be my first MOC I have ever taken to a convention and will be publicly revealed for the first time at Chicago Brickworld this weekend. I am very excited to show it off and hope you all enjoy it. The following pictures are just some of the 80 plus photos I have up, so follow the link at the end to see more details as I don't think I should post all 80 plus here.

The Tower of Orthanc 01 by Brendan M, on Flickr

The Tower of Orthanc 02 by Brendan M, on Flickr

The Tower of Orthanc 03 by Brendan M, on Flickr

The Tower of Orthanc 04 by Brendan M, on Flickr

01 - Landscape - Orthanc Exterior by Brendan M, on Flickr

02 - Landscape - Orthanc Exterior by Brendan M, on Flickr

06 - Landscape - Orthanc Exterior by Brendan M, on Flickr

12 - Landscape - Orthanc Exterior by Brendan M, on Flickr

03 - Landscape - Orthanc Exterior by Brendan M, on Flickr

01 - Interior - Dungeon - Overall shot - No Flash by Brendan M, on Flickr

06 - Interior - 1st Floor - Entrance and Armory - Overall Shot - Flash by Brendan M, on Flickr

11 - Interior - 2nd Floor - Library - Overall Shot - No Flash by Brendan M, on Flickr

18 - Interior - 3rd Floor - Palantir Room - Alternate Angle by Brendan M, on Flickr

22 - Interior - 4th Floor - Dinning Room - Overall Shot by Brendan M, on Flickr

28 - Interior - 5th Floor - Living Quarters - Overall Shot by Brendan M, on Flickr

32 - Interior - 6th Floor - Sarumans Study - Overall Shot by Brendan M, on Flickr

38 - Interior - 7th Floor - Sarumans Laboratory - Closeup by Brendan M, on Flickr

44 - Interior - 9th Floor - Observation Deck - Open Walls by Brendan M, on Flickr

and more https://www.flickr.com/gp/58882944@N05/gk125L

Osahi

Holy shit Ryu. That is ridicilously awesome. I'm flabbergasted! Great work! Love the details like the orcs cutting trees and the interiours. Congrats!

I don't want to think about how much money you've poured into though :D

Very impressive build and packed with detail, like the set but scaled up immensely. I feel like the photos don't do it justice though, the flash washes everything out and makes the black bricks blend together and look all smudged with fingerprints. I'd suggest doing more closeups of each floor rather than a straight shot at each which doesn't show much anyway.

If you have it, you should take a shot of the retail set alongside it, just for scale :)

Welp. And i was gonna build my measly prefabricated Tower of Orthanc Set tonight. Now you made that look like a microscale set so i think i'll pass lol :(

Looks amazing of course, work of a lifetime imo. Can't even imagine the time and money invested into this thing...

Ryuuroden

Very impressive build and packed with detail, like the set but scaled up immensely. I feel like the photos don't do it justice though, the flash washes everything out and makes the black bricks blend together and look all smudged with fingerprints. I'd suggest doing more closeups of each floor rather than a straight shot at each which doesn't show much anyway.

If you have it, you should take a shot of the retail set alongside it, just for scale :)

There are a bunch of close ups at link

Ponn

Banned
That is 100% pure awesome juice Ryu, congratulations. Erect that in the middle of your house as a monolith to be worshipped.

Welp. And i was gonna build my measly prefabricated Tower of Orthanc Set tonight. Now you made that look like a microscale set so i think i'll pass lol :(

Awww don't feel like that. It's still a freaking awesome set that you will appreciate some of the build techniques and how it comes together. It still looks imposing once finished.

Does anyone know what the July sets coming out are? Still can't believe those Ninjago and Super Hero sets came out in EU but we have to wail till August, thats nonsense.

Hello. This is my first mega- build. It took me almost a year to build and more to plan. It is a 1/65 scale Tower of Orthanc from Lord of the Rings and stands at 8 feet 9 inches. It contains somewhere around 75,000 bricks. The Tower is built as a cut away and has a fully lighted and furnished interior. I made sure to include every detail I could think of. I got inspiration from many sources but a lot of it is just loosely based on them as many of the features originate in how I imagine the tower looked like. One example of this is I made the 4 large spires at the time much more prominent then seen in the movie and in many drawings. I just felt they looked much cooler this way. This will be my first MOC I have ever taken to a convention and will be publicly revealed for the first time at Chicago Brickworld this weekend. I am very excited to show it off and hope you all enjoy it. The following pictures are just some of the 80 plus photos I have up, so follow the link at the end to see more details as I don't think I should post all 80 plus here.

LOTS OF PICS

this-is-beautiful.gif

Brad-Dourif-Wormtongue-LOTR.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom