• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostmind

iXfrIFg.gif

Amazing. I saw most of the exterior and interior in earlier pics but I didn't see the landscape before. Seeing it altogether is overwhelming.

I love the chandeliers, the Sauron banner, the chamber near the top spires with the barred panels that open...I could keep going all day.

Just noticed the spears on the exterior walls.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I know. But it is just to expensive for a set that size to me. Damn dino tax.

Anyway, I did a great deal today. The multimediashop Fnac where I buy most of my cd's, dvd's and books started selling toys a few years back to counter the declining media sales. They have a small section of Lego's, usually one or two City lines, the major Star Wars stuff and Ninjago + whatever is the new licenced line. And because they have little shelf space, they do great discounts when new series arrived.

This time. The Lego Movie sets have to go in favor of Jurassic Park. And they still had five spaceship, spaceship, SPAAAAASHIIIPs! So they slashed it to 72 euros! That's almost half price. (original pricetag: 130 euros)

Couldn't resist, allthough i did not plan on getting a big set like that any time soon, since I just got the AT-AT and bought the Snowspeeder (which was really expensive for less then 300 bricks) few days back.

But damn.

SPAAAACESHIIIIIP!

I can't realistically justify the price of the spaaaceship, as much as I have find memories of official space sets as a kid. But half price I'd have bitten their hands off.

Osahi

I can't realistically justify the price of the spaaaceship, as much as I have find memories of official space sets as a kid. But half price I'd have bitten their hands off.

Same. Thought it was a cool set, but not cool enough for over 100 euros. But 70? Eh, gimme! Also, i just got the double decker couch, and its nice to have some more figs.

Now i am really on the fence for that star wars 3 in 1. Just realized i have 10 euro in store credit after my spending spree today. So i would get that pack for just under 50. The canon alone is more than that stand alone...

Is there any upper limit in size or piece count in LEGO Digital Designer, because I don't want to get part way through my current project and find I can't carry on.

Well, it took 2 days but I've finally managed to complete the Parisian Restaurant, and by God I don't regret purchasing it. Can't really add much more than what others have said about it, what a fantastic build. It's such a pleasure to come back to Lego and see familiar pieces and all new ones being used in so many creative ways. However, I'm now facing an issue...

During the build and from looking at MOCs of peoples cities I really want to pursue constructing my own diorama set. Nothing extravagant, something on the scale of this, or this. Haven't made any plans but I'm 100% positive that I will want/need the Grand Emporium as part of it (Thinking of in fact buying two, to extend the exterior/interior). Trouble is, I feel kind of pressured to buy that set sooner than later due to the inflation of retired sets as time goes buy. Even now there's one going for around £150 with 0 bids on it, although I'm sure that'll change drastically in the last half hour. So, anyone have any advise in regards to how you go about buying retired sets? Should I hold off for now or take the plunge?

edit: fantastic job on Orthanc btw Ryu. Remember seeing it a while ago mid-build when I used to lurk this thread and was amazed back then, even more so now. Hope you win some awards with that at some point.

DJ_Lae

Holy shit, that tower is insane. Count me in for seeing a scale image too, but the detail in those shots is nuts. I can only imagine the logistics of planning, buying and building it all.

I've been following your progress on Orthanc for so long, now.

Absolutely stunning. Probably one of if not the most impressive mega-build I've ever seen.

And to think, Ryuuroden now owns the vast majority of certain pieces in black. It is crazy to think that one individual has the majority of a single type of LEGO brick.

And it is also awesome.

Well, it took 2 days but I've finally managed to complete the Parisian Restaurant, and by God I don't regret purchasing it. Can't really add much more than what others have said about it, what a fantastic build. It's such a pleasure to come back to Lego and see familiar pieces and all new ones being used in so many creative ways. However, I'm now facing an issue...

During the build and from looking at MOCs of peoples cities I really want to pursue constructing my own diorama set. Nothing extravagant, something on the scale of this, or this. Haven't made any plans but I'm 100% positive that I will want/need the Grand Emporium as part of it (Thinking of in fact buying two, to extend the exterior/interior). Trouble is, I feel kind of pressured to buy that set sooner than later due to the inflation of retired sets as time goes buy. Even now there's one going for around £150 with 0 bids on it, although I'm sure that'll change drastically in the last half hour. So, anyone have any advise in regards to how you go about buying retired sets? Should I hold off for now or take the plunge?

Grand Emporium isn't as overhyped as Town Hall, so it should be easier to find at decent prices. Unless you're expanding the base area, I'd suggest picking up just one and then making a list of what you need from Bricklink to make new top floors. The center floor is very simple and has relatively few parts, so it should be easy to replicate as much as you want. The only thing that could be tricky eventually is the dark green windows if they don't get produced enough onwards.

Oh, and welcome to the modular money pit :D

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Uhhhhhhhh just saw the LEGO Dimensions footage and now that it's confirmed the Ghostbusters set is in it, I have to get it. Damn you LEGOOOOOOOOO!

3N16MA

Banned
Hello. This is my first mega- build. It took me almost a year to build and more to plan. It is a 1/65 scale Tower of Orthanc from Lord of the Rings and stands at 8 feet 9 inches. It contains somewhere around 75,000 bricks. The Tower is built as a cut away and has a fully lighted and furnished interior. I made sure to include every detail I could think of. I got inspiration from many sources but a lot of it is just loosely based on them as many of the features originate in how I imagine the tower looked like. One example of this is I made the 4 large spires at the time much more prominent then seen in the movie and in many drawings. I just felt they looked much cooler this way. This will be my first MOC I have ever taken to a convention and will be publicly revealed for the first time at Chicago Brickworld this weekend. I am very excited to show it off and hope you all enjoy it. The following pictures are just some of the 80 plus photos I have up, so follow the link at the end to see more details as I don't think I should post all 80 plus here.

The attention to detail is truly amazing. The amount of work you put into this really shows and I can only imagine it looks even better up close in person.

I'm not sure if you want to but it could easily support its own thread over in OT.

wetwired

Hello. This is my first mega- build. It took me almost a year to build and more to plan. It is a 1/65 scale Tower of Orthanc from Lord of the Rings and stands at 8 feet 9 inches. It contains somewhere around 75,000 bricks. The Tower is built as a cut away and has a fully lighted and furnished interior. I made sure to include every detail I could think of. I got inspiration from many sources but a lot of it is just loosely based on them as many of the features originate in how I imagine the tower looked like. One example of this is I made the 4 large spires at the time much more prominent then seen in the movie and in many drawings. I just felt they looked much cooler this way. This will be my first MOC I have ever taken to a convention and will be publicly revealed for the first time at Chicago Brickworld this weekend. I am very excited to show it off and hope you all enjoy it. The following pictures are just some of the 80 plus photos I have up, so follow the link at the end to see more details as I don't think I should post all 80 plus here.

The Tower of Orthanc 01 by Brendan M, on Flickr

The Tower of Orthanc 02 by Brendan M, on Flickr

The Tower of Orthanc 03 by Brendan M, on Flickr

The Tower of Orthanc 04 by Brendan M, on Flickr

01 - Landscape - Orthanc Exterior by Brendan M, on Flickr

02 - Landscape - Orthanc Exterior by Brendan M, on Flickr

06 - Landscape - Orthanc Exterior by Brendan M, on Flickr

12 - Landscape - Orthanc Exterior by Brendan M, on Flickr

03 - Landscape - Orthanc Exterior by Brendan M, on Flickr

01 - Interior - Dungeon - Overall shot - No Flash by Brendan M, on Flickr

06 - Interior - 1st Floor - Entrance and Armory - Overall Shot - Flash by Brendan M, on Flickr

11 - Interior - 2nd Floor - Library - Overall Shot - No Flash by Brendan M, on Flickr

18 - Interior - 3rd Floor - Palantir Room - Alternate Angle by Brendan M, on Flickr

22 - Interior - 4th Floor - Dinning Room - Overall Shot by Brendan M, on Flickr

28 - Interior - 5th Floor - Living Quarters - Overall Shot by Brendan M, on Flickr

32 - Interior - 6th Floor - Sarumans Study - Overall Shot by Brendan M, on Flickr

38 - Interior - 7th Floor - Sarumans Laboratory - Closeup by Brendan M, on Flickr

44 - Interior - 9th Floor - Observation Deck - Open Walls by Brendan M, on Flickr

and more https://www.flickr.com/gp/58882944@N05/gk125L

ea31d4f075555d852fe8e84d51f2dfcd.gif

Amazing!, got a pic of you standing next to it? it's obviously massive but really hard to judge the true scale without a frame of reference.

Zerojul

This is absolutely crazy, overwhelming and glorious. All of my congrats, respects and admirations to you.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

edit: fantastic job on Orthanc btw Ryu. Remember seeing it a while ago mid-build when I used to lurk this thread and was amazed back then, even more so now. Hope you win some awards with that at some point.

I was thinking to sell my modulars as I have no space and I'm focusing now on other themes. In the UK as well. Have grand emporium, fire brigade and pet shop with boxes etc. also have a cafe corner that I bricklinked the pieces for. Let me know if you're interested - I'm not going to give them away but I'd not want silly money for them

Rootbeer

Banned
LEGO Dimensions is producing many great fruits, even if the game turns out to be pretty bad. :)

I'll be snatching up most of the sets with new parts whatever the case.

Love Venkman's new hair and new arm printing! YES! Arm printing of the no ghosts patch, finally!!

Slimer would be the icing on the cake for sure.

Osahi

Just finished building the snowspeeder. Kind of a straightforward build, but apart from some serious sticker-applying a pretty fun build. I like how you can shoot the grapple hook with the stud shooter for instance.

It is just a shame how the colors don't match the movie model. Where is my orange Lego? Could easily be done with an orange sticker in stead of the greyisch one on the hood and some orange pieces at the back of the model. (But I guess those aren't in production)

Also, for the size and brick count, this is a pretty expensive set to say the least. But it looks good and I just needed to have it with my At-At. Now just to figure out a way of displaying it, because I'm kinda out of room at the moment. Will probably go to Ikea to buy a glass display closet or something.

Osahi

I believe Luke's snow speeder was grey, while the others had the orange colour.
Edit: here's a quick screen grab
image_zpswcwlhenb.jpg

Ow, I see! Been a while since I watched Empire, so if I ever noticed, I must've forgotten it. The orange is so iconic in my mind, I assumed all snowspeeders had an orange touch.

ghostmind

As per BrickFan:

cqtJQPE.jpg

A Halloween-themed CMF series is something I will break from my "Star Wars only" policy for, so I will be picking up all of these.

The rumoured lineup is:

Mad Scientist
The Fly
Crazy Witch
Gargoyle
Rocker Monster
Lady Vampire
Grim Reaper
Specter/Ghost/Phantom/Spirit
Skeleton Guy/Skeleton
Bigfoot
Tiger Woman
Werewolf
Zombie
Pirate Captain
Zombie Cheerleader
Zombie Businessman
Plant Monster/Man-eating Plant

As per BrickFan:

cqtJQPE.jpg

A Halloween-themed CMF series is something I will break from my "Star Wars only" policy for, so I will be picking up all of these.

The rumoured lineup is:

Mad Scientist
The Fly
Crazy Witch
Gargoyle
Rocker Monster
Lady Vampire
Grim Reaper
Skeleton Guy/Skeleton
Bigfoot
Tiger Woman
Werewolf
Zombie
Pirate Captain
Zombie Cheerleader
Zombie Businessman
Sigh. And I am back on the CMF train. Actually, I want Simpsons series 2 still. But that Halloween series I may just buy a ton blindly since multiples would be awesome.

As per BrickFan:

cqtJQPE.jpg

The rumoured lineup is:

Mad Scientist
The Fly
Crazy Witch
Gargoyle
Rocker Monster
Lady Vampire
Grim Reaper
Skeleton Guy/Skeleton
Bigfoot
Tiger Woman
Werewolf
Zombie
Pirate Captain
Zombie Cheerleader
Zombie Businessman

Must stay strong, wanted to leave the CMF train.

A second witch/zombie is kind of disappointing though.

The zombie is still one of the most wanted figures, so it doesn't hurt to make more. Besides, zombies come in hordes and they shouldn't all look exactly the same. And it's been like four years.
And I sold mine for a good profit already :D

I'm excited. I might not track down all of them but I wouldn't mind getting like 20-30 of them and just deal with the multiples.

Also, is that a new bucket variation piece? It has the connections for the bucket handle on top but is formed like the vase pieces on the bottom. In other colours it could make for excellent decoration.

ah crap... so they DID do a themed officially numbered CMF series called 14 then eh?

That is a first and i do not like it all that much since it takes away from the randomness of the figs all scattered about if you collect them all, now i'll suddenly have one entire series full of a single theme in there :(

Either way, they look great so far...

As per BrickFan:

cqtJQPE.jpg

The rumoured lineup is:

Mad Scientist
The Fly
Crazy Witch
Gargoyle
Rocker Monster
Lady Vampire
Grim Reaper
Skeleton Guy/Skeleton
Bigfoot
Tiger Woman
Werewolf
Zombie
Pirate Captain
Zombie Cheerleader
Zombie Businessman

Not into horror stuff, but skeleton guy is a must for me now... the regular skeleton with flimsy arms is still one of my top 5 favorite figures of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom