• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's some scooby doo set reviews starting to show up, I'm so tempted to just outright buy all the sets in one hit, I haven't done that since Indiana Jones first came out when I first got into lego

It's one of life's little pleasures. There's a weird binge quality to building an entire range at once.

I bought and built all of the Monster Fighter sets at once. Did the same thing with the first wave of Marvel/Avenger sets. I had most of the Alien Defense Force sets before I built those too.

Right now I have all of the Agent sets except 3. I picked up the last 2 smaller Phase 2 sets I was missing yesterday. The Ship, truck HQ, and helicopter (ie: the most expensive ones that never go on sale!) are all I require to complete the theme.. I was going to wait until I had them all and have a marathon session, but I'm not sure I can. They call to me.

I also want to theme my modulars as a huge Agents battle taking place in the city as a change from super heroes.

wetwired

It's one of life's little pleasures. There's a weird binge quality to building an entire range at once.

I bought and built all of the Monster Fighter sets at once. Did the same thing with the first wave of Marvel/Avenger sets. I had most of the Alien Defense Force sets before I built those too.

Right now I have all of the Agent sets except 3. I picked up the last 2 smaller Phase 2 sets I was missing yesterday. The Ship, truck HQ, and helicopter (ie: the most expensive ones that never go on sale!) are all I require to complete the theme.. I was going to wait until I had them all and have a marathon session, but I'm not sure I can. They call to me.

I also want to theme my modulars as a huge Agents battle taking place in the city as a change from super heroes.

I got all of the Jurassic Worlds sets except for the Pteradon one, which I will likely eventually grab. Well kind of all of them as the Trex one is in the cupboard for my sons birthday.

I've only actually built the frill neck one so far.

so what are the ethics of buying for speculation among posters here? I just bought 5 Raptor Escapes ....I normally don't like doing this but I recently paid a hefty premium for 10231 and 9467 -- I figured it's only fair for me to make up the difference.

Rootbeer

Banned
For polybags it is common because they are inexpensive and make really good trade bait once they go up in value.

For larger sets it doesn't get discussed too much here. There are threads on other LEGO forums for people who do this, but it's not a widespread activity I don't feel.

The raptor escape situation isn't too common, usually a set like that would stay available for a year or so. It's still odd to me that it is happening to a licensed set for a very popular film. Don't get upset if they reprint it... I think there is a chance for that to happen. I think a lot of people want to have the whole raptor squad, and you can't do that without raptor escape unless LEGO has something up their sleeves.

as for the ethics of it, well I don't see a lot of people upset about it, although I have seen a few people on youtube who act like speculation is the only thing of value in LEGO collecting which I personally find reprehensible. Like those people who go into stores and fill shopping carts with polyags and sets, abusing coupons and discounts to stock up on huge piles of sets just so they can resell.

Whoo! My B&P shipment arrived so I've started building my custom modular. It's rather peculiar to build after LDD instructions though - it started on the first floor and now it's building down from there. I have a huge chunk of wall that I can't attach to a baseplate yet. Wouldn't it be rather more logical to scan the model from the bottom and then stack everything from there?

flash0222

Neo Member
Trying to build from LDD generated instructions is almost impossible unless it's like 200 pieces. It's about the dumbest tool from that aspect..

I make my own instructions when I do larger builds.

iuuk

They are used to raise the back of the car whilst its resting on the table whilst its being built. They are removed towards the end of the build

Yeah, those pieces didn't really feel all that helpful, but hey, 2 extra pieces. Even stranger; for some reason I also had two flat 2x2 red pieces left after building. I checked the manual three times and the car twice, but they didn't seem to go anywhere.

Man oh MAN that Ghost Boat!! If only Monster Fighters had kept going ;___;

It makes NO sense to me that as Scooby-Doo is apparently a one-and-done theme, since they're gonna do yearly movies and they could easily keep making sets based off the decades of shows.

There's only 1 Mystery Machine. Also, the appeal of the minifigs will wear off very fast if they pumped out sets every year. They have 1 to 2 waves at most IMO then they need a long break if they ever want to do it again.

so what are the ethics of buying for speculation among posters here? I just bought 5 Raptor Escapes ....I normally don't like doing this but I recently paid a hefty premium for 10231 and 9467 -- I figured it's only fair for me to make up the difference.

I know some have frowned upon it here in the situations where stuff goes on clearance and speculators/resellers swoop in and buy out all the good clearance items (many multiples of same sets). I'm in the middle. If a store allows it, can't blame the buyer, but I don't have to like it. A person buying duplicate sets (2), I'm OK as it still gives a chance for others. I'm a duplicate buyer on occasions.
Also, if there is a set that is very plentiful and has been out for a long time, that's fine for a speculator to buy lots of the same set IMO. People had plenty of opportunity to buy the sets.

The Raptor Escapes is one of those rare exceptions on availability of a set (not counting LEGO Idea sets). That set was sold out in only a few weeks of being available. A mother came into the LEGO store asking about the set and was upset she couldn't get it for her kid. I'm speculating (see what I did there?) that we will see one last stock of that set hit the shelves then will be gone for good (unless LEGO does another production run). I'm guessing LEGO has allocated all remaining stock to Walmart. Not sure though as Phonciplebone pointed out it seems non-TRU exclusives tend to be very short lived. Only example I know about is the MOnster Fighter zombie set.

If this is an uncommon thing for you, I won't judge you. Addicts do whatever they can to feed their habits if they don't have the money. :) I might have bought 2 if I had the opportunity.

To follow up on some non-LEGO building blocks news, MEGA recently showed off some early examples of what their Star Trek line could look like.

Looking much more promising than Kre-O so far, though they need to work on those drooping nacelles.

I'm not sure how they could keep em up higher unless they add a clear stand to support the rear?

ghostmind

Brickset is listing 75098 (Hoth Echo Base) at $249.99USD. This is the same price as the Ewok Village, which is expected to go OOP later this year.

Brickset is listing 75098 (Hoth Echo Base) at $249.99USD. This is the same price as the Ewok Village, which is expected to go OOP later this year.

First off, who is rumored to be the designer on Echo Base?

Second, for anyone that hasn't gotten Ewok Village yet, you should jump on that. A spectacular set. Sure, it is a play set, but it looks awesome when on display and makes for a great mini fig display area. Oh, and the build is tip top from start to finish.

Thinking about getting the bulldozer. What do y'all think? Is it one of the better sets you can currently get for $40?

141216_B.jpg

Thinking about getting the bulldozer. What do y'all think? Is it one of the better sets you can currently get for $40?

141216_B.jpg

It certainly looks like a great source for tread pieces. I will admit that the set does look enticing.

As for stuff under $40, I am assuming you have Hulkbuster already.

chidrock

First off, who is rumored to be the designer on Echo Base?

Second, for anyone that hasn't gotten Ewok Village yet, you should jump on that. A spectacular set. Sure, it is a play set, but it looks awesome when on display and makes for a great mini fig display area. Oh, and the build is tip top from start to finish.

I usually just lurk here, but I'll second that. The Ewok Village is a great set - lots of neat touches from the movie for display and my kids had a lot of fun with the playable features. The set even had a building technique that is annoying - bendable railings with robot arms that are hard to get right, but it was still a good build. Even though the trees are similar they each felt different enough that things didn't feel repetitive.

Ponn

Banned
I'm hoping for an Echo Base, thats pretty much the only non-vehicle set I would buy except for a Death Star I like. Has the Sept. Lego Calendar leaked yet? I'm not wild about the free pirates fig but would like to plan out the next couple months with the shitstorm coming. I was also wondering if Lego Store and S@H would do something special for Dimensions. I'm really waiting for that damn Joker Bumper Car polybag to finally pop up in the US.

Finished the Ferrari a bit ago, and it more than lives up to the pedigree of Creator Expert vehicles.

It looks so much better in person than it does in pics, and is a nice hefty size once done.

While there are no really crazy building techniques used in it, all the super simple ways to achieve the angles and curves are fun and satisfying. The build is almost never repetitive, and always keeps you on your toes. This thing really is about the journey on getting to the final product.
I was a big fan of the moment in the instructions when you realize you can flip open the front of the car to add more pieces. I knew it would open just from the box pics and video, but the casual way they drop that on you during the build was really cool.

Very highly recommended, and a fantastic continuation of the Creator Expert vehicle line.

Now let's hope for a 60s Mustang next year or some American muscle car.

Kyari

Ugh, Wetwired, those space minifigs continue to be a thing of beauty. Its a real shame they cost so much for you to make.

Rootbeer

Banned

I am so ready. Glad I took care of my Ewok Village acquisition last year so I don't have to fuss over the price of two big sets near one-another.

I don't have a lot of LEGO Hoth in my collection so I need this badly.

Now if LEGO would give Bespin the same love. We need a new Lando desperately.

Echo base will probably come with an exclusive Luke in a Bacta tank. Please.

Or, maybe a tauntaun that has a hatch in its belly to hide a mini figure in.

EDIT: Still crossing my fingers for UCS Cloud City someday. It is the only thing that can feasibly dethrone the Best Star.

I bought my first set in a while at target today: the braniac dc super heroes set. Pretty satisfied. 20 to 30 dollar superhero sets really hit the spot. My little skull-squid friend here will be my desktop companion for a while. This was a target exclusive right?

I need to go back to working on my castle MOCs.... ugh i don't have enough piecesssss.

cracklink?
cracklink.

After seeing the Ferarri built at work, I want it. I want it bad. I still think it's too small for the price/line, but when I factor in my discount it's worth it. Just gotta wait until I have disposable income again. I managed to snag Pet Shop and Palace Cinema and they cleaned me right out.

The girl who built the one on display said the build was boring and she couldn't wait for it to be over. WTF?!? I can tell just by looking at it that the build is fantastic, so many interesting looking SNOT techniques for the hood, sides, etc. Crazy.

woodypop

I'm really waiting for that damn Joker Bumper Car polybag to finally pop up in the US.
Yeah, me, too. Gotta keep an eye out, 'cause those polybags tend to go quick.
Urgh. I need to grab me an ewok village then. Gotta make my Lorien outta it.
That's a great idea!

I've been holding off on the Ewok Village for as long as possible. Now that it's soon retiring, I'll have to bit the bullet shortly.

Yeah, me, too. Gotta keep an eye out, 'cause those polybags tend to go quick.

That's a great idea!

I've been holding off on the Ewok Village for as long as possible. Now that it's soon retiring, I'll have to bit the bullet shortly.
Ewok Village is less than two years I doubt it's retiring soon.

Ponn

Banned
I'm looking at my Lego Dimensions preorders on Amazon and man, I just can't drop that much money on a game. I want to get the game but I need to trim down the packs i'm getting. What are the packs everyone else is planning on getting? I figure the level packs are probably smart choices. I'm thinking of getting BttF and Scooby Doo. I also figure Dr. Who will be a smart pick up just for collector's purposes. I have a feeling that one will be sold out for awhile and hard to find. I also want to get that Bane fig pack because I don't have a classic Bane fig. Oh and Wizard of Oz, this is going to be tough trimming this list down.

Rootbeer

Banned
base game, all level packs, a few character packs based on a lot of factors including the exclusive pieces they include. Doc Brown being a good example of a must-own.

I have gamer's club unlocked so I save 20% on everything. Takes the edge off some of the purchases. Not often you can get 20% off every new lego set, and this is kind of that. So I'll be getting a pretty good haul on launch day.

trozkd

Neo Member
Just pulled the trigger on The Lonely Mountain set via Jet.com. $111 shipped, not bad considering I've yet to see it discounted more than a few dollars and the recent discussions about it selling out in other territories.

Some discounts on some other sets too there, and discounts get bigger as you order more [SO DANGEROUS]!

Just pulled the trigger on The Lonely Mountain set via Jet.com. $111 shipped, not bad considering I've yet to see it discounted more than a few dollars and the recent discussions about it selling out in other territories.

Some discounts on some other sets too there, and discounts get bigger as you order more [SO DANGEROUS]!

They say a shop in Gothenburg has this for 50% off! Only problem is, I can't get there until Thursday and it will probably be gone by then.

Ponn

Banned
I could care less about the game, so instead I'll wait for China to sell me the figs at less than $1 a pop.

I'm almost feeling this way. Not the China part but the being less interested in the game part. These type of games always seem really boring and barren open worlds. My mind is telling me i'm just falling for it because of the Lego part. I've been considering just getting the Dr. Who sets and Doc Brown and waiting it out.

I'm getting the Portal set for sure, but otherwise I'll probably wait for sales since I'm not really that interested in the game. I see the sets as kind of exclusive collector things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom