• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fowler

7879 also had an exclusive Leia kiss minifig which was kinda creepy, tbh. But overall it was a pretty shitty set that I'm glad I held off on.

Yeah, that's brilliant, that's what I will call that variant forever now.

I actually have that minifig in my Falcon right now...

43B84b0.jpg

Decided to get the rescue reinforcements set. Wow, what a great value. 850 pieces for $60, AND it comes with 3 decent sized figures! I love it. The fire fighter mech is so ridiculous in a wonderful way (like all the Lego movie sets.) Only thing I didn't like about it was the posability of the arms. You can't really bend the forearm forward very well the way its set up. I modified the set and switched the ball and socket joints around so that you could though. Probably should have been like that in the first place. I LOVE the farmer helicopter. Its got so much detail and feels like a MOC you'd see at a Lego convention. Probably my favorite part of the set.

Overall this set is probably the best value I've gotten since I got out of my 'dark ages' and started collecting Lego again early last year.

Prediction: 20 years from now new in box, first series LEGO Minecraft sets will be among the most valuable, as adults who missed out on these expensive toys in their childhood spend their hard-earned dollars on nostalgia.
*fills a storage unit full of Minecraft LEGOs*

Christian

I've never been tempted by the Ninjago theme, but between that City of Stiix set and the forthcoming Temple of Airjitsu, I'll definitely be trying to get at least a couple of sets this year.

Ponn

Banned
I've never been tempted by the Ninjago theme, but between that City of Stiix set and the forthcoming Temple of Airjitsu, I'll definitely be trying to get at least a couple of sets this year.

Don't forget Morro Dragon. That City of Stix set is a treasure trove of awesome parts.

willp2003

Blue power jet is great. Built it a few weeks ago. Larger than I thought, and when you get to the wings.... This isn't a wing, oh, now it's a wing!

Ryuuroden

I'm getting jealous of everyone in this thread. I took a new job about 8 months back, which has been great ... apart from the fact that I'm always traveling. Only been home for 3 days in the last month and a half or so. I want to build!

It's completely feasible. I am only home two days a week and I built that orthanc.

A shelf I had mounted on the wall collapsed today.

I had a 48x48 little thing for all my Star Wars figures in a shitty Rebel base that I made myself that is completely #rekt.

Also, The Ghost, TIE Fighter, and a big 48x48 plate full of minifigures in formation were just destroyed.

I have no desire at all to go ahead and put it all back together. I'm going to have to, obviously. But it blows.

In other news, this week I broke my little streak of not buying Lego anything. Went and bought the Riddler Chase. I absolutely love the Batmobile. Also bought the Ant-Man set and Hulkbuster set from S@H, but those won't be here until this weekend.

Prediction: 20 years from now new in box, first series LEGO Minecraft sets will be among the most valuable, as adults who missed out on these expensive toys in their childhood spend their hard-earned dollars on nostalgia.

*fills a storage unit full of Minecraft LEGOs*

I agree, but I think it will mostly be just the minifigs that will carry a high value. That's a long time to sit on money. I think a mutual fund will give you higher returns over a 20 year period.

ruxtpin

Banned
It's completely feasible. I am only home two days a week and I built that orthanc.

I'll try eventually. Spent 10 days in DC, home for 2, 5 in Arkansas, home for 1, then gone for 14 across Iowa, Ohio, and Las Vegas. Once all that's done I'll get 5 days to myself, but the missus and I just moved so all Lego stuff is packed. And most will probably remain that way as we gotta move up to PA next year.

My purchasing this year is going to be for anything going OOP or on sale and will contribute to my already laughably huge backlog.

A shelf I had mounted on the wall collapsed today.

I had a 48x48 little thing for all my Star Wars figures in a shitty Rebel base that I made myself that is completely #rekt.

Also, The Ghost, TIE Fighter, and a big 48x48 plate full of minifigures in formation were just destroyed.

I have no desire at all to go ahead and put it all back together. I'm going to have to, obviously. But it blows.

In other news, this week I broke my little streak of not buying Lego anything. Went and bought the Riddler Chase. I absolutely love the Batmobile. Also bought the Ant-Man set and Hulkbuster set from S@H, but those won't be here until this weekend.
Oh, man. That really sucks. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully noting but the sets were destroyed during it.

It also just reinforces my fear about mounting a shelf on the wall to display stuff. I was thinking of putting one above my television, but having LOTS of support arches under it due to paranoia.

3N16MA

Banned
I think for the most part almost all the posters here are pretty laid back about the bootleg stuff and all. Heck, there is always discussion of Mega Blocks and Kreo stuff in here. We just like the bricks.

Now, if this thread did start getting attention from LEGO themselves (which would be awesome), then we would probably have to start policing it more.

This thread does seem to be one of the most welcoming and inclusive things on GAF. No one seems overly defensive or critical of other posters, and it just seems like a nice chill club. Just like a good message board should be. And it is even better because it is all done without any kind of formal oversight. The members posting in here are keeping it civil and policing it themselves. That is why it is the best place to visit.

NtIr0bi.gif

This is one of the most easygoing groups on GAF. Everyone gets along and I can't recall any negative posts since posting regularly.

Oh, man. That really sucks. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully noting but the sets were destroyed during it.

It also just reinforces my fear about mounting a shelf on the wall to display stuff. I was thinking of putting one above my television, but having LOTS of support arches under it due to paranoia.

Thanks duder. One of the 48x48 pieces actually broke. Only a corner snapped off, but otherwise there was no actual damage.

I'll probably try and mess with it, maybe buy another arch or seven, and throw it back up. Otherwise I have no chance of displaying anything close to a decent Lego collection.

Blue Power Jet is finished. My expectations were really high due to all the posters on here gushing about it, and everyone was right. What a magnificent set. SNOT everywhere!

As for the mythical wings that everyone posted about, they do indeed deliver on the hype. I had a few theories on how they were pulled off just by looking at set pics, and I was about 2/3rds correct in how they pulled it off. It seems like the in thing with sets this year is pulling off odd angles using basic bricks and little to no hinges. And also having zero wiggle to those angles. I love it.

Oh, and where would any discussion about a LEGO jet be without talking about swoosh? Yeah, this thing is super swooshable. I just want to fly it around the apartment a bit and make noises.

So, I am late to the party on this set, but it is a glorious party. Very highly recommended. You get a fantastic build, a great display model, good playability with the swooshing, and a fantastic parts pack as well. Totally digging getting all those double bow pieces in dark blue.

EDIT: And who is responsible for this set? Is this some new designer to keep an eye out for?

Got two Avengers Tower sets to build it higher!

Haven't really done the interior yet, but quite happy with how it turned out.

I like the way you think. Go for 3 or 4 Avengers Towers! I have 1 and planning on getting 2 more when on a good sale or clearance.
Its looks very sizeable with just 2 sets with Tower of Orthanc to compare.

Oh man, Tower of Orthanc is one set that fell off my to get list. I think I should just get it if still available. That is one of those sets that will go up in value and be more than MSRP even if used.

Fowler

I like the way you think. Go for 3 or 4 Avengers Towers! I have 1 and planning on getting 2 more when on a good sale or clearance.
Its looks very sizeable with just 2 sets with Tower of Orthanc to compare.

Oh man, Tower of Orthanc is one set that fell off my to get list. I think I should just get it if still available. That is one of those sets that will go up in value and be more than MSRP even if used.

To be honest, using more than 2 Avengers Towers might be a bit more complicated -- I managed to do this with just the two sets and only a few extra parts. But I feel like if you go another level bigger, it also needs to be a lot wider because it's right on the edge of being stable right now. I took some unused floor pieces and built a flower bed on either side of the doors just to give it a bigger footprint and make it more stable. So you'd either need to sacrifice floors to make each extra floor wider, or you'd need extra parts.

Orthanc is an amazing set on multiple levels. Fun build, really striking and unique when finished, and it has a relatively small footprint so it can find space in even the busiest of setups... provided you have the vertical clearance for it :)

ruxtpin

Banned
"Go full Ryuuroden" is a brilliant expression, haha.

lol - Where's that anime meme photo with the guy pointing and saying something like "you are already dead." The LegoGAF version could be "you are already Ryu" in response to any gigantic builds or large purchases.

Fowler

Is there an actual record of which LEGO sets have been in production for the longest time? Seven years and still going, BEST STAR living up to its name.

The ocean hq is so awesome. Definitely snatch that up.

And if you haven't gotten Ewok Village or Best Star yet.
AntiMatter’s Portal Hideout looks sick too.

So many great sets going OOP -- Ewok Village, Red 5 X-Wing (rumored), Pet Shop (rumored -- although a Lego official told me it will be available through 2016).

Rootbeer

Banned
Any word on the Scooby Doo sets hitting the streets early? My daughter is crazy for Scooby Doo.
I found carnage and batboat at my local Target here in California. Scooby sets should be popping up anyday now.

I bet lots of stores already have them in the back. If you could find the DPCI or UPC numbers you might be able to get them pulled for you.

Fowler

AntiMatter’s Portal Hideout looks sick too.

So many great sets going OOP -- Ewok Village, Red 5 X-Wing (rumored), Pet Shop (rumored -- although a Lego official told me it will be available through 2016).

I love the Red 5 X-Wing. Such a fun build, even with the repetitive wings.

Makes sense tho, to clear space for the new trilogy's ships.

Christian

I finally got the Silver Mine Shootout set from The Lone Ranger theme. Grabbed it for $40 off of BrickLink, brand new. I really enjoyed the Dwarves' Mine set from Fantasy Era, and SMSO looks like it borrows quite a bit from that earlier build. I put together the first two bags last night, and I'm really enjoying it so far. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Ponn

Banned
Got two Avengers Tower sets to build it higher!

Haven't really done the interior yet, but quite happy with how it turned out.

That's awesome. Doing pretty much the same thing but I want to make it a little wider to fit in with my Modular shelf. I haven't started mine yet but glad to see it looks pretty good using two towers, just got my 2nd one delivered today. I'm considering using the 2nd to widen the tower by one window length and add another floor of windows then make the bottom into Iron Man's armory.

Fowler

That's awesome. Doing pretty much the same thing but I want to make it a little wider to fit in with my Modular shelf. I haven't started mine yet but glad to see it looks pretty good using two towers, just got my 2nd one delivered today. I'm considering using the 2nd to widen the tower by one window length and add another floor of windows then make the bottom into Iron Man's armory.

Wider is a good thing. Even with just two sets, it's pretty unstable with the regular base; I had to widen it out a little bit. That was actually the hardest part.

But if you're going to make it wider... get a third so you don't sacrifice too much height :)

mojiimbo

Any word on the Scooby Doo sets hitting the streets early? My daughter is crazy for Scooby Doo.
If you have one, call your local LEGO store tomorrow and ask if they have them in. I think the one here is putting out new Friends, Elves(?), Technic, Scooby Doo, Superheroes, Ninjago and Bionicle.

Rootbeer

Banned
If you have one, call your local LEGO store tomorrow and ask if they have them in. I think the one here is putting out new Friends, Elves(?), Technic, Scooby Doo, Superheroes, Ninjago and Bionicle.

Just called my local store. They are not putting anything out till Aug 1st.

Call head!

My local shops are selling the new sets like crazy. I picked up the Carnage & Ant-Man sets this week, and I have the full Scooby line and Big Bang Theory
I hate myself for buying this
on hold for tomorrow.

Potomac Mills is my store. They are closed til the first for a remodel. The first is also BrickFair, there no way for me to be at Potomac Mills at opening since BrickFair is nearly an hour away. I don't wan't to stand in line at BrickFair for three hours again.

Ponn

Banned
Gonna buy the entire Scooby Doo line or most of it whenever I see them out.

I'm waffling on the Lighthouse right now because I want to pick up Jokerland right away. I have Mystery Machine and Headless Horseman preordered through Amazon to get them fast and so far Aug. 1st Lego Shop order will be Mystery Mansion, Mummy set, Carnage set and Jokerland. It's only $50 so I will probably talk myself into just getting it though.

I'm waffling on the Lighthouse right now because I want to pick up Jokerland right away. I have Mystery Machine and Headless Horseman preordered through Amazon to get them fast and so far Aug. 1st Lego Shop order will be Mystery Mansion, Mummy set, Carnage set and Jokerland. It's only $50 so I will probably talk myself into just getting it though.

Gonna buy the entire Scooby Doo line or most of it whenever I see them out.

Yeah will most likely get the entire series too. But will do it over time, can't spoil myself, I mean my daughter.

Buy them all, you know you want to.

Hold off on the Lighthouse. You will have a ton of Scooby Doo sets to tide you over. That way you can wait for a sale which means more money for LEGO. Jokerland will give you more pleasure for your $$$ whereas Lighthouse will be diminishing returns among the other Scooby Doo sets.

Ryuuroden

Bricklink store alert:

Never order from HouseofLogos on bricklink. They are an extremely inconsiderate, unprofessional, discourteous store. They take months to ship and then say they shipped the item and you never receive it and its too late to file a claim.

I gave them another shot a few weeks ago and I am getting shit on again. I filed with paypal right away this time after giving them a warning that I was going to start using my connections to spread the word about their bullshit service. They completely ignored me and are just sitting there with my over 100 dollar order. I am just doing now what I told them I would do and more.

Ryuuroden

Potomac Mills is my store. They are closed til the first for a remodel. The first is also BrickFair, there no way for me to be at Potomac Mills at opening since BrickFair is nearly an hour away. I don't wan't to stand in line at BrickFair for three hours again.

I will probably be taking Orthanc to BrickFair next year. I didn't this year cause I was just testing what conventions were like this year.

Ponn

Banned
Hold off on the Lighthouse. You will have a ton of Scooby Doo sets to tide you over. That way you can wait for a sale which means more money for LEGO. Jokerland will give you more pleasure for your $$$ whereas Lighthouse will be diminishing returns among the other Scooby Doo sets.

No you are doing it wrong, you are supposed to be telling me to buy them all. Never surrender. Seriously though yea I agree. Almost all sets get a discount at some point as long as they aren't exclusives. It's a game of what can I go without having right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom