• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No you are doing it wrong, you are supposed to be telling me to buy them all. Never surrender. Seriously though yea I agree. Almost all sets get a discount at some point as long as they aren't exclusives. It's a game of what can I go without having right away.

I am telling you to get them all! Just saving you some money to buy MORE LEGO! :) I buy small to medium sets to get a quick fix on new items, then wait for sales to get the other sets I want from a theme.

BUT, as you said, if I had bought all the Jurassic World sets right away I wouldn't be scared I may miss that elusive Raptor Escape set.

wetwired

No you are doing it wrong, you are supposed to be telling me to buy them all. Never surrender. Seriously though yea I agree. Almost all sets get a discount at some point as long as they aren't exclusives. It's a game of what can I go without having right away.

Never-give-up-never-surrender.gif

Toxi

Banned
My God, the Ferrari is a beauty.

My favorite part of the building process was either doing the slanted areas on the sides or when I repositioned the hood and all the previously inaccessible studs were revealed.

It'a also interesting how the roof is built completely differently from the Mini-Cooper and Volkswagen Camper, using technic pieces to surprisingly good effect.

More Galaxy Quest gifs for the thread!? By Grabthar's Hammer!

And Brickfair is next week? Ugh. Too bad it isn't a week later for when I am on vacation. That would have been a fun trip.

My God, the Ferrari is a beauty.

My favorite part of the building process was either doing the slanted areas on the sides or when I repositioned the hood and all the previously inaccessible studs were revealed.

It'a also interesting how the roof is built completely differently from the Mini-Cooper and Volkswagen Camper, using technic pieces to surprisingly good effect.

Are you meaning when it is revealed that the hood flips up? Yeah, that part was so fun. They just casually throw a step in there where you open it up, then close it back up. I absolutely loved that part.

flash0222

Neo Member
I second this, I will never order from them again. Took almost 2 months to get an order.
Bad communication, lies about the item being shipped, no tracking #, etc.

Bricklink store alert:

Never order from HouseofLogos on bricklink. They are an extremely inconsiderate, unprofessional, discourteous store. They take months to ship and then say they shipped the item and you never receive it and its too late to file a claim.

I gave them another shot a few weeks ago and I am getting shit on again. I filed with paypal right away this time after giving them a warning that I was going to start using my connections to spread the word about their bullshit service. They completely ignored me and are just sitting there with my over 100 dollar order. I am just doing now what I told them I would do and more.

Toxi

Banned
Are you meaning when it is revealed that the hood flips up? Yeah, that part was so fun. They just casually throw a step in there where you open it up, then close it back up. I absolutely loved that part.
Yep. That part really made me appreciate how genius the design of this thing was.

Also nice was how there weren't any really terrible stickers outside the hood sticker (which I managed to get perfect). Thank God for the prints on the windshield.

Yep. That part really made me appreciate how genius the design of this thing was.

I think the piecemeal build for each side is what helped hide how it all comes together. If you built the frame of the hood and hinges then attached it to the main body, it wouldn't be as big of a surprise.
Sure, we all knew the hood opened because we looked at the box, but the way it is handled in the build is what makes it so great. It is probably my second favorite part of a build so far this year.

The water tower from Detective Office is going to be nigh impossible to top for coolest and most surprising build though. How that was pulled off got spoiled on here while I was waiting for my order to arrive. It doesn't take away from the genius of how it is done, but man how amazing it would have been to get to that with no clue how it is pulled off.

If you haven't gotten Detective Office yet, just don't look at pics of build in progress. The less you know about the water tower the better. Let's just say that you will look at a certain type of piece very, very differently forevermore.

I think the piecemeal build for each side is what helped hide how it all comes together. If you built the frame of the hood and hinges then attached it to the main body, it wouldn't be as big of a surprise.
Sure, we all knew the hood opened because we looked at the box, but the way it is handled in the build is what makes it so great. It is probably my second favorite part of a build so far this year.

The water tower from Detective Office is going to be nigh impossible to top for coolest and most surprising build though. How that was pulled off got spoiled on here while I was waiting for my order to arrive. It doesn't take away from the genius of how it is done, but man how amazing it would have been to get to that with no clue how it is pulled off.

If you haven't gotten Detective Office yet, just don't look at pics of build in progress. The less you know about the water tower the better. Let's just say that you will look at a certain type of piece very, very differently forevermore.
Thanks for the heads-up. I definitely plan to get that set eventually.

When you get to that step, you will understand. I am sure that everyone on here that has built the set chimes in, they will gush about the water tower part as well.

I'm assuming it will be one of those "i had no clue pieces could do that" reality-bending moments like some of the piece usage on fire brigade.

oh god i should go build mst of my sets are in pieces from moving.....

I'm assuming it will be one of those "i had no clue pieces could do that" reality-bending moments like some of the piece usage on fire brigade.

oh god i should go build mst of my sets are in pieces from moving.....

Yeah, it is like that. But turned to 11.

It's more a matter of, "I had no idea those pieces in particular could do that."

Ponn

Banned
I am telling you to get them all! Just saving you some money to buy MORE LEGO! :) I buy small to medium sets to get a quick fix on new items, then wait for sales to get the other sets I want from a theme.

BUT, as you said, if I had bought all the Jurassic World sets right away I wouldn't be scared I may miss that elusive Raptor Escape set.

Yeah man, cheapassAFOL. In the last two weeks I got a Quinjet 2.0 for $55 and a Tydirium for $63. That went right into getting a 2nd Avengers tower on sale also.

Yeah man, cheapassAFOL. In the last two weeks I got a Quinjet 2.0 for $55 and a Tydirium for $63. That went right into getting a 2nd Avengers tower on sale also.

Tyderium for $63? Damn. I want to get the set just to compare it to the UCS one, but not enough to pay close to full price. That is a killer deal you got there.

Fowler

I'm sorry, I feel like I ask this all the time, but: When are we expecting to see Hoth Echo Base again? Is it at Brickfair? I am way too excited about this set.

I'm sorry, I feel like I ask this all the time, but: When are we expecting to see Hoth Echo Base again? Is it at Brickfair? I am way too excited about this set.

I am curious how the set is going to deliver. But, it is the successor to Ewok Village, which was a killer set, so I am interested.

its hilarious to think a lego set of all things could have spoilers. the internet is a strange place.

Eh, part of the fun is discovering how certain things are pulled off. It is like a puzzle and someone telling you how to solve it before you even get it. One of the joys I get from sets is seeing how certain things are pulled off, and the slow realization as it comes together.
I know I have ruined a few things over the years for people on here, but I like thinking some things are great surprises to many.

ghostmind

It is supposed to be releasing in October, so probably not for a while still.

My guess would be after the Force Awakens sets release on September 4th, as they probably don't want to steal that thunder.

peely

Neo Member
http://www.tesco.com/direct/special-offer/spend-75-or-more-on-lego-and-earn-1500-extra-clubcard-points/promo33430068.promo?sc_cmp=tp4_aff_1018132

For those in the UK, Tesco are doing another deal where you spend £75 on Lego and get at least £15 back in vouchers (though you'll know these can be converted x2 or even x4 in value at some points in the year). Apparently just for the next 4 days though.

From http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/1500-extra-club-card-points-with-75-lego-spend-tesco-direct-2250889

Flat Iron Building

Slightly disappointing end result but a fun build all the same, hard to do justice to the real thing I suppose.

Was wanting to pick this up as well. But guess I will wait for a deal.

FYI AWD has the High Speed Passenger Train for $98 if you don't mind destroyed boxes.

Keaner

Neo Member
Blue Power Jet is finished. My expectations were really high due to all the posters on here gushing about it, and everyone was right. What a magnificent set. SNOT everywhere!

EDIT: And who is responsible for this set? Is this some new designer to keep an eye out for?

Just had to pop my head in here to point this out: the designer for the Blue Power Jet (and Ferrari F40) is Mike Psiaki, a relatively new LEGO designer (his sets have only started being released in 2014). You can see the LEGO models he's designed on his Brickset list.

I've been following him since before he was hired by LEGO as a designer -- his MOCs of a minifig-scale X-Wing and (unfinished) Millennium Falcon are wonderful:

xwing_psiaki.jpg

I'm very happy to have Bricklinked a version of his X-Wing, which I think looks much better than any of LEGO's official sets.

Keaner

Neo Member
That looks awesome. How much did it cost you to bricklink the parts, approximately? I might give that a go myself!

It's been a few years, and it was my first Bricklinked model, but I think it cost me around $60-70 with a few part substitutions (I switched out the rear engine barrels for dark bluish grey, the cockpit to trans-blue, and some of the parts are actually easier to find in old grey rather than light bluish grey).

And the part list and instructions have been archived together in one handy spot.

Just had to pop my head in here to point this out: the designer for the Blue Power Jet (and Ferrari F40) is Mike Psiaki, a relatively new LEGO designer (his sets have only started being released in 2014). You can see the LEGO models he's designed on his Brickset list.

I've been following him since before he was hired by LEGO as a designer -- his MOCs of a minifig-scale X-Wing and (unfinished) Millennium Falcon are wonderful:

xwing_psiaki.jpg

I'm very happy to have Bricklinked a version of his X-Wing, which I think looks much better than any of LEGO's official sets.

Thank you for the link. Mike seems to be someone to watch out for, especially after building the one-two punch of Ferrari and Blue Power Jet. The man is off to a fantastic start.

And while I'm on the subject of LEGO designers, I thought I'd point to Adam Grabowski, who gets a lot of love in here as well, designer of the UCS Tumbler, UCS Imperial Shuttle, Silver Mine Shootout, pretty much the entire Monster Fighters line, and a ton of other Star Wars and Super Hero sets as well.

Adam Grabowski's Brickset list of official LEGO sets he's designed or contributed to.

Thank you again. I always forget Adam's name, but he has had a hand in so many fantastic sets over the years. (<3 Silver Mine Shootout). And it appears he is the designer on Jokerland? Oh, hype just increased for that set.

I also see that you are not only new to LEGO GAF, but GAF in general. And you chose to christen your new GAF account in here. :)
Welcome, and I think I speak for everyone in saying that I hope you enjoy it here.
Are you secretly a LEGO plant? Coming in here being all awesome with the info bombs?

NtIr0bi.gif

gRzHtfQ.gif

wetflame

Pizza Dog
It's been a few years, and it was my first Bricklinked model, but I think it cost me around $60-70 with a few part substitutions (I switched out the rear engine barrels for dark bluish grey, the cockpit to trans-blue, and some of the parts are actually easier to find in old grey rather than light bluish grey).

And the part list and instructions have been archived together in one handy spot.

Thanks. Have imported all the parts into a wanted list on Bricklink, I just wish there was an easier way of doing the buying. Wish you could just do a "what's the smallest number of purchases I can do to get all these parts" or something similar. I always end up realising at the end that there's one piece that only a few people are selling and that I should have bought most of the parts from that store to save on shipping. Anyone have any tips for pricing out a bricklink build like this?

I like the way you think. Go for 3 or 4 Avengers Towers! I have 1 and planning on getting 2 more when on a good sale or clearance.
Its looks very sizeable with just 2 sets with Tower of Orthanc to compare.

Oh man, Tower of Orthanc is one set that fell off my to get list. I think I should just get it if still available. That is one of those sets that will go up in value and be more than MSRP even if used.

Lego S@H just marked the Tower as SOLD OUT yesterday so I wouldn't wait much longer to get it if you really want it. It may come back in stock but who knows for sure.

ghostmind

miqbxzd.gif

Welcome to LEGO-GAF, and thanks for the designer info. The Brickset lists are a great resource for tracking the set history of LEGO builders. It would sure make sourcing some of these sets a lot easier if all the designers used them.

ghostmind

Lego S@H just marked the Tower as SOLD OUT yesterday so I wouldn't wait much longer to get it if you really want it. It may come back in stock but who knows for sure.

I wouldn't count on it - Walmart, Target and TRU are sold out, and Amazon is selling it via third-parties at $265 currently.

If you still want it, and can find it for MSRP, now is the time.

Just picked up the Mystery Machine. Trying to restrain myself from getting the rest since I know they will just get added to the collective. May just bricklink Daphne and Velma.

Picking up BBT on the way home and that'll be it for me this week.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
http://www.tesco.com/direct/special-offer/spend-75-or-more-on-lego-and-earn-1500-extra-clubcard-points/promo33430068.promo?sc_cmp=tp4_aff_1018132

For those in the UK, Tesco are doing another deal where you spend £75 on Lego and get at least £15 back in vouchers (though you'll know these can be converted x2 or even x4 in value at some points in the year). Apparently just for the next 4 days though.

From http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/1500-extra-club-card-points-with-75-lego-spend-tesco-direct-2250889

Thanks. No F40 though. Trevi Fountain plus a couple of smaller minecraft sets would do it, but I hate how you have to buy so many minecraft sets to get all the different figs so I'm trying to resist buying any of them.

Keaner

Neo Member
I also see that you are not only new to LEGO GAF, but GAF in general. And you chose to christen your new GAF account in here. :)
Welcome, and I think I speak for everyone in saying that I hope you enjoy it here.
Are you secretly a LEGO plant? Coming in here being all awesome with the info bombs?
Aw, thanks! I've been lurking for quite some time, and I guess I just like talking about specific LEGO designers, so I couldn't resist piping up. :p

Keaner

Neo Member
I always end up realising at the end that there's one piece that only a few people are selling and that I should have bought most of the parts from that store to save on shipping.

Yeah, I definitely do that -- identify the rarer parts, then put in the bulk of the orders through sellers that carry those rare parts first. Then it's just a matter of picking up the remaining common parts through other seller(s).

I usually make duplicate wanted lists, and then just delete items off each list as I order them, so it's easier to run group searches with their 'By Shop' function.

mrkgoo

Blue Power Jet is finished. My expectations were really high due to all the posters on here gushing about it, and everyone was right. What a magnificent set. SNOT everywhere!

As for the mythical wings that everyone posted about, they do indeed deliver on the hype. I had a few theories on how they were pulled off just by looking at set pics, and I was about 2/3rds correct in how they pulled it off. It seems like the in thing with sets this year is pulling off odd angles using basic bricks and little to no hinges. And also having zero wiggle to those angles. I love it.

Oh, and where would any discussion about a LEGO jet be without talking about swoosh? Yeah, this thing is super swooshable. I just want to fly it around the apartment a bit and make noises.

So, I am late to the party on this set, but it is a glorious party. Very highly recommended. You get a fantastic build, a great display model, good playability with the swooshing, and a fantastic parts pack as well. Totally digging getting all those double bow pieces in dark blue.

EDIT: And who is responsible for this set? Is this some new designer to keep an eye out for?

It's an incredible set. I built it in LDD first and just had to get it. Can't believe that you can pull off those wings in LDD. Managed to convince a non-regular Lego buyer to get it!

peely

Neo Member
And while I'm on the subject of LEGO designers, I thought I'd point to Adam Grabowski, who gets a lot of love in here as well, designer of the UCS Tumbler, UCS Imperial Shuttle, Silver Mine Shootout, pretty much the entire Monster Fighters line, and a ton of other Star Wars and Super Hero sets as well.

Adam Grabowski's Brickset list of official LEGO sets he's designed or contributed to.

Welcome ! And thanks for the link, loved reading about the stories behind those sets.

Thanks. No F40 though. Trevi Fountain plus a couple of smaller minecraft sets would do it, but I hate how you have to buy so many minecraft sets to get all the different figs so I'm trying to resist buying any of them.

I can't take my daughter near minecraft lego without being asked to get it. Nearly there with her, she's done really well with her Juniors house we got for her birthday. There is a great selection though (and hopefully this counts towards the fuel save thingy !).

On that note, I need to buy some Jurassic World sets for an adult friend as a thank you for their help recently (big fan of both Lego and JW). I've not seen the film or know much about the sets though I gather from lurking here that Raptor Escape is a good/rare one. What sets would people recommend ?

On that note, I need to buy some Jurassic World sets for an adult friend as a thank you for their help recently (big fan of both Lego and JW). I've not seen the film or know much about the sets though I gather from lurking here that Raptor Escape is a good/rare one. What sets would people recommend ?

Membership to this thread requires a compulsory Ghostbusters purchase ;)

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Yeah, I definitely do that -- identify the rarer parts, then put in the bulk of the orders through sellers that carry those rare parts first. Then it's just a matter of picking up the remaining common parts through other seller(s).

I usually make duplicate wanted lists, and then just delete items off each list as I order them, so it's easier to run group searches with their 'By Shop' function.
After doing a little research I found a program called Brickficiency which scans all the stores and works out how to group all your orders into as small a number of orders as possible, only thing is I don't think it's been updated since the Brinklink refresh so I'm not sure it's working properly right now. Might have just been my work computer/connection so I'll try again on the home laptop when I get a chance.

robb_w7

Banned
LEGO Experts help me.........

I got a Space Lego set for Christmas in the 1990's

Ill describe it:

It was a long ship, the back part of the ship was room that you could put figures in, it also has stickers that reflected, you move it one way the image changes back and forth

I know im not giving you much to go on but does this sound familiar to anyone?

UPDATE:

It has a retractable roof on the back section, green tinted slated i seem to remember

SOLVED:

It was this baby:

6973-1.jpg

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Hehe got it :) And the DeLorean, and far too much Star Wars ;)

And by far too much, I mean not enough.
I have no Star Wars sets (aside from an X-Wing polybag and the Falcon Microfighter) because I know once I start I'll just want more and more. I always said I'd get an X-Wing if I could get away with it, bricklinking that one up there might be a way for me to get away with having Star Wars LEGO without starting on that slippery slope. We'll see.

peely

Neo Member
LEGO Experts help me.........

I got a Space Lego set for Christmas in the 1990's

Ill describe it:

It was a long ship, the back part of the ship was room that you could put figures in, it also has stickers that reflected, you move it one way the image changes back and forth

I know im not giving you much to go on but does this sound familiar to anyone?

UPDATE:

It has a retractable roof on the back section, green tinted slated i seem to remember

SOLVED:

It was this baby:

6973-1.jpg

I was looking on brickset.com, but I moved on from Lego in the early 90's and it didn't ring any bells, so didn't really have a chance ! How come you were looking ?

I have no Star Wars sets (aside from an X-Wing polybag and the Falcon Microfighter) because I know once I start I'll just want more and more. I always said I'd get an X-Wing if I could get away with it, bricklinking that one up there might be a way for me to get away with having Star Wars LEGO without starting on that slippery slope. We'll see.

An X-Wing was my first set many years ago and led to the B-Wing, Snowspeeder .. <drifts off>.. star destroyer and AT-AT. So it depends what you mean by slippery slope because from down here it looks like a gentle incline and you should join us :)

Missed out on a few Star Wars sets though, so don't make that mistake :p

robb_w7

Banned
I was looking on brickset.com, but I moved on from Lego in the early 90's and it didn't ring any bells, so didn't really have a chance ! How come you were looking ?

Was just remembering the amazing sets i used to get every Christmas, but that one really stuck out for me, so much fun :D

Hmmm, seems like there will be quite a few sets to get soon after all. I want the BBT set, mostly for minifig parts, but if I pass on it I bet the parts will be really rare later on. Then there's the new Minecraft sets, and I still kind of want the hotel, possibly Skyra's castle and the T-rex. And the Airjitzu temple. Damn, broke again :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom