• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you and the link on that OT to this OT is done.
An OT in an OT.
xzibit.png

Ponn

Banned
That Lego Dimensions OT is making my resolve to not buy all in wither. I'm not even a big Simpsons or Jurassic World fan but I even want those sets. I can foresee Chima packs being the shelf warmers.

I pushed through my neck spasm and finished The Mixer. It's definitely a great set but being spread out like it is with multiple pieces and the trucks I have no use for drops the value. Also i'm starting to see a conundrum of what the hell do I do with this and Ferris Wheel with huge footprints (and Ferris Wheel case vertical as well) for display purposes. I have a feeling Mixer is going to be broken down pretty quick unfortunately. The build was very interesting and the actual Mixer assembly was pretty neat how everything just came together. Jokerland was supposed to be next on my list but after all the problems i've had with Mixer and my doubts of getting a Halloween display together I don't know when I will get to it.

Guys! I just saw Age of Ultron and I'm finding myself with a Quinjet in the shopping basket at 25% off just because Vision was so damn cool. Advice?

Buy it, because Vision is awesome, and so is the Quinjet.

I found another solution to kill two (or three) birds with one rock: a Bricklink seller had a decently cheap T-rex Tracker along with both Vision and Scarlet Witch (who I also kind of wanted), so for a bit more I get a T-rex that I want instead of spare stuff I would need to sell off (like the extra figures).

I found another solution to kill two (or three) birds with one rock: a Bricklink seller had a decently cheap T-rex Tracker along with both Vision and Scarlet Witch (who I also kind of wanted), so for a bit more I get a T-rex that I want instead of spare stuff I would need to sell off (like the extra figures).

But now you are missing a Quinjet.

GAF, which is the better Creator mech kit, Power Mech (31007) or Future Fliers (310034)? Future Fliers seems to have better articulation (opposable thumb, better head movement) but the pieces Power Mech comes with seem to be more universally useful I guess?

Gonna launch the Dimensions OT, anything you guys want me to add other than the basics?
May be a link to where we can get a good rate on 2nd mortgage or sell our kidney.

If you have Fred Meyer near you they are doing 20% off LEGO City and Star Wars not sure how long the promo is. I picked up Poe's X-wing and 1st Order TIE.

The Quinjet 2.0 is such a great set. You should've bought it!

ghostmind

GAF, which is the better Creator mech kit, Power Mech (31007) or Future Fliers (310034)? Future Fliers seems to have better articulation (opposable thumb, better head movement) but the pieces Power Mech comes with seem to be more universally useful I guess?

Future Flyers really caught my eye when it was first revealed, but since Power Mech was the subject of our 3rd building contest, it wins for me.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510231

Kitsuné

since when does a fox need an accent aigu?
Future Flyers really caught my eye when it was first revealed, but since Power Mech was the subject of our 3rd building contest, it wins for me.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510231

We should really have another contest ... How long has it been since the last one? Over a year now I feel.

Future Flyer would be a great set to do the contest with. Or Rainforest Animals!

I would happily throw in a polybag for the winner.

Finally found that Trick or Treat set, nice little set. I'm gonna enjoy putting this together. Managed to get 4 more of the Monsters minifigs, but the rest were repeats. Alas.

neonglow

Kitsuné;180176372 said:
We should really have another contest ... How long has it been since the last one? Over a year now I feel.

Future Flyer would be a great set to do the contest with. Or Rainforest Animals!

I would happily throw in a polybag for the winner.

I'd be down for another contest. It's been awhile since our last one.

oTx3HBF.jpg

Finally finished both Obi Wan and Grievous, and while he is huge, i feel that his lack of posability due to weight imbalance etc. makes Obi Wan my favorite of the whole bunch for now... I think he looks amazing in this form and is extremely poseable :)

Only ones i didn't get are Jango and Luke, can't wait for the next Wave now!!

Am I alone in not at all liking the action figures? They are all pretty much exactly the same model with different prints, especially in the case of Jango/Cody, Vader/Luke.. They also look terrible from behind..

ruxtpin

Banned
For anyone in Georgia, Northpoint Mall in Alpharetta has been doing some Lego Americana tour. I didn't get to go, but they've got huge display models of the Washington Monument, the Capitol building, Jefferson Memorial, etc. Plus there's a Lego store at the mall.

TheFuzz

For anyone in Georgia, Northpoint Mall in Alpharetta has been doing some Lego Americana tour. I didn't get to go, but they've got huge display models of the Washington Monument, the Capitol building, Jefferson Memorial, etc. Plus there's a Lego store at the mall.

I saw that, too. Rux, are you local? I'm in Gwinnett, work about 10 min from the Sugarloaf Mills Lego store.

ruxtpin

Banned
I saw that, too. Rux, are you local? I'm in Gwinnett, work about 10 min from the Sugarloaf Mills Lego store.

I lived in Duluth until 3 month ago. :) Down in Jonesboro for a year and not sure where I'm going after that, but I'm definitely getting up to Northpoint or Sugar Loaf for double VIP in a few weeks.

TheFuzz

I lived in Duluth until 3 month ago. :) Down in Jonesboro for a year and not sure where I'm going after that, but I'm definitely getting up to Northpoint or Sugar Loaf for double VIP in a few weeks.

Same here, it starts Friday, though. I think it only goes to the 14th:

ruxtpin

Banned
Aye. I was just looking cuz I couldn't tell if it ended the 4th or 14th. Wanna grab the Kwik E Mart, some Simpsons figures, Tie Fighter and maybe a second Detective Office.

TheFuzz

Aye. I was just looking cuz I couldn't tell if it ended the 4th or 14th. Wanna grab the Kwik E Mart, some Simpsons figures, Tie Fighter and maybe a second Detective Office.

I hear ya. Honestly, my haul won't be too big. I'm honestly looking at the Scooby mansion and/or lighthouse and some seasonal sets. Aside from the Ferris wheel, nothing else is screaming at me.

There's quadruple VIP points on Duplo at the moment in the UK store - I think we can rule out a double points promo starting here at the same time it does in the US =(

ruxtpin

Banned
Maybe this has been discussed before, but I think early 2000s is when Lego was having some real issues with its direction and not doing so well financially. Those were my "dark ages" and I wasn't really aware of what was going on, but sometimes I wonder if the same thing is repeating itself. Granted, I feel like Lego is producing more hits than misses right now, but the sheer number of lines and sets coming out... Maybe it's always been this way and I just didn't realize it when I was younger?

Maybe this has been discussed before, but I think early 2000s is when Lego was having some real issues with its direction and not doing so well financially. Those were my "dark ages" and I wasn't really aware of what was going on, but sometimes I wonder if the same thing is repeating itself. Granted, I feel like Lego is producing more hits than misses right now, but the sheer number of lines and sets coming out... Maybe it's always been this way and I just didn't realize it when I was younger?

They are currently making more money than any other toy company in the world, I believe. they are not making so many things because they are desperately searching for hits. they are making so many things because licensed themes turned out to be so incredibly lucrative, and because the original themes that do explode make enough money that it's worth the effort spent in search of the next ninjago.

even just looking at thematic content, it looks like they have clear plans of attack in every area. City gets its constant refreshes of cops and firemen alongside occasional bits of diversity. random action themes get their good vs evil themes, with vehicles seeing more success on average than buildings. Bionicle are basically action figures. Licensed sets are fan service incarnate in addition to being more action themes. The friends and elves are more slice-of-life in their theme than most other lines, as far as I can tell. Big creator sets are intended to please the people who really love elaborate display pieces or clever build experiences. None of it seems much like desperation to me at all.

ghostmind

My concern is that they are stretching themselves too thin, and that the recent issues with recalls and increasing reports of missing pieces are indicative of this.

I'm also concerned about the parts quality coming from their newer factories.

ruxtpin

Banned
Yeah, I know the Star Wars tax is a real thing and the line has worked out well for Lego. I guess I get those "meh" feels when I see stuff like Angry Birds Lego. But as long as Lego is doing well financially, I suppose I can't fault them. Makes business sense.

Yeah, those are definitely still valid concerns.

I guess that their status as a privately-held company makes me optimistic about the quality in the long run, since it gives the people in power a vested interest in keeping the company healthy indefinitely.

Rootbeer

Banned
I really, really, really hope Angry Birds flops hard. I have tried to like that property and I just can't. I get icky feelings knowing that LEGO is making toys for it now.

My concern is that they are stretching themselves too thin, and that the recent issues with recalls and increasing reports of missing pieces are indicative of this.

I'm also concerned about the parts quality coming from their newer factories.

Don't leave out the newest complaints concerning the LEGO Dimensions tags, with some not working. Seeing an unsettling number of people saying it's happening to them. Now maybe LEGO does not make them directly but IMO it doesn't matter. Disney Infinity and Skylanders use similar tags and it's not a widepsread issue with their products.

UK people might want to check out Bespoke Offers. Basically, you find some LEGO you want on amazon or wherever you can find it cheapest, give the URL to Bespoke Offers, and they go off for a few hours and find you the best possible price.

On top of that, if you use Quidco, you receive £1 cashback for requesting a price, and then 18% cashback if you choose to purchase the offer.

It doesn't work with all stores, including the LEGO store, but I found John Lewis was pretty good for bigger sets at decent prices (like RRP). I requested the Modular Pet Shop at £120, they came back with £103, and so assuming that I get the item okay and the cashback tracks and everything, the final price will be about £85.

Not counting my chickens yet but yeah, if it works that is some cheap LEGO. They only offered me a quid off Palace Cinema and Parisian Restaurant, but even that after the 18% cashback is a great deal for some sets that may never drop in price, if everything goes through.

I've not been able to find a Sea Cow anywhere other than the LEGO store so I've not been able to whack that through yet, but if I find it the results could be worthwhile.

ghostmind

The upcoming super-hero racers are called "Mighty Micros":

DC Super Heroes:
76061 Mighty Micros: Batman vs Catwoman
76062 Mighty Micros: Robin vs Bane
76063 Mighty Micros: The Flash vs Captain Cold

Marvel Super Heroes:
76064 Mighty Micros: Spiderman vs Green Goblin
76065 Mighty Micros: Captain America vs Red Skull
76066 Mighty Micros: Hulk vs Ultron

The word from those who have seen prelims is that the minifigs have the short legs, used on Hobbits and children.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom