• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

R-User!

I've been building some Lego with my 5-year-old son, who's just gotten into it recently, and it's given me the itch to get back into it myself.

I kept all my sets from my childhood to give to my kids (forward planning!), and while most of it is all mixed in together with heaps of pieces missing, I kept this set separate and I think it might be complete:

5590-1.jpg

I'm going to go get it from my parent's house and try to build it! Hopefully I don't have too many pieces missing. Is Bricklink the easiest place to grab the odd missing piece? I'm in Australia, BTW.

After that, I'm eyeing off some new sets. Benny's Spaceship is mighty tempting, as is the Ultra Agents HQ, or the Star Wars AT-AT, or this crazy Technic 2-in-1 Plane and Hovercraft. I'll have lots of questions and need some recommendations, so I'm glad this thread exists!

This thread is fully getting me excited about Lego again BTW lol.

5571 goes for $950 Minimum, up to over 2100 on Amazon!

You may be "in the money" with that 5590....Not actually suggesting you sell it; was curious what that set might go for...

Ryuuroden

BTW, guys if any of you have LUGs in your area, I really recommend joining them. Not only do you get to meet other people who are in the same hobby but it opens a lot of ways to have better resources for MOC's. Lego has various programs it offers to ambassadors and LUGs in return for your group participating in shows etc. Like currently right now we have a big display set up at the city art museum (I have 2 modulars in the cityscape we have displayed)

5571 goes for $950 Minimum, up to over 2100 on Amazon!

You may be "in the money" with that 5590....Not actually suggesting you sell it; was curious what that set might go for...
Used ones seem to go for AU$100-$250 on Bricklink and eBay. I've got the box and instructions, so maybe it'll be on the higher end of that, but I'll be keeping it. I think I'm going to reacquire most of the sets from my childhood, so it's nice to not have to rebuy this one!

BTW, guys if any of you have LUGs in your area, I really recommend joining them. Not only do you get to meet other people who are in the same hobby but it opens a lot of ways to have better resources for MOC's. Lego has various programs it offers to ambassadors and LUGs in return for your group participating in shows etc. Like currently right now we have a big display set up at the city art museum (I have 2 modulars in the cityscape we have displayed)

Yes, I've heard of those programs where they have bulk purchases by the LUGs at a discount. Prices are never to be disclosed. :) I've seen photos of those bulk LUG purchases and drooled. I believe Wetwired here got a large number of bricks through one of those programs for his awesome Turtles display a couple years ago.

neonglow

I'm part of the LUG in my area and I just end up buying a ton of baseplates during the promotion.

Rootbeer

Banned
So brown ninja must be the week after rocket, as many were theorizing...

I should have dug around for that one. they actually had one of those shopping carts you carry by hand around the store full of lego stuff at the counter. That's where they pulled my Rocket polybags from. I was eyeballing it from afar, figured it had some older polys in it (reasoning: a ton of polybags that have been hanging around for months in the main LEGO section were missing today, looked like they may have collected them all up.)

Why oh why didn't I just ask to look through it...

I should have dug around for that one. they actually had one of those shopping carts you carry by hand around the store full of lego stuff at the counter. That's where they pulled my Rocket polybags from. I was eyeballing it from afar, figured it had some older polys in it (reasoning: a ton of polybags that have been hanging around for months in the main LEGO section were missing today, looked like they may have collected them all up.)

I found this gorilla mech walker from few months back, but sadly no Rocket.

Rootbeer

Banned
I found this gorilla mech walker from few months back, but sadly no Rocket.

Not bad! I managed to grab that one sometime earlier this month. They had tons of them, I bought one. Few days later? Saw like 3 left. Now they are gone. minifigure polybags are easily sellers. Well, unless it's a city polybag... then it's a crapshoot

Rootbeer

Banned
The second rumor for 2015 is a brand new theme. Iso3200 states that it will “be loosely a follow-up/replacement/similar to Monster Fighters.” They also says it will have a retro feel and very kid friendly and “not very zombie.”

- See more at: http://www.thebrickfan.com/rumored-2015-lego-sets-including-brand-new-theme/#sthash.Jr58sd7X.dpuf

??? The article adds the speculation that it could be a Ghostbusters theme or even a Scooby Doo theme.

Personally... I know Scooby Doo has its place in cartoon history greatness and all, but I feel like it's been milked pretty strongly in recent decades with reboots and merch deals, there's already a good amount of Scooby stuff clogging up shelves at my local TRU. So... I'm not too excited about the idea of a Scooby theme. But I'm always willing to be convinced.

wetwired, I'm sure that if there is indeed a Ghostbusters theme coming up and you are somehow lucky enough to be involved in *any* capacity that you'd not be able to talk about it... But damn, that would be awesome if you had that opportunity.

One thing is for sure... the instant they evoke "Monster Fighters" they have my attention.

So is there any more word about this weekend for potential triple VIP like last year? It seems there has been nary a peep about it or the VIP shopping event on LEGO.com.

ninge

Got the Palace Cinema modular for my 40th Birthday from the wife - A very cool set to build! So now have the Cinema, Pet Shop, Fire Brigade and Emporium. Looks like I might have missed the boat on the Town Hall though :/ Ebay prices are already going crazy... put the Parisian Restaurant on my christmas wish list, fingers crossed :D

Picked up the lego movie Ice Cream Truck and Garbage Truck 2 in 1 sets over the weekend - these were really fun to build both versions, really like the gnashing teeth on the Garbage truck alt-mode! I plan to have them both in their normal modes tho - should be good additions to my modular street.

My display is all packed away at the moment as we're having new heating fitted at home but as soon as that's done I will try and get some pics together :)

One question I have tho - I have some old straight and T junction road pieces from when I as a kid, thought these would look good with the modulars, but the problem is the modular base plates aren't designed to sit on top of anything else, and the buildings look silly being way back from the street if I put the road base plates in front of them... any suggestions?

Well, after 3 TRUs, I finally got 1 Rocket polybag.

Store 1: Sunday. Nothing, but they checked on the computer and listed that 2 other stores closer to my work received them.

Store 2: Monday lunch. A work checked and there was supposed to be 1 on floor, but nothing. Customer service looked further and found they were in a hold bin for a promotion. Stated the promotion was for this Friday, 11/21. Couldn't sell to me.

Store 3: Monday after work. Checked and they had them behind the customer service desk. Lady asked her manager what she was doing with them because they were listed as promo. Manager said she was selling them because no details on what the promo was given on their system. I asked how many could I buy, sadly she said only 1.

Does anyone know what the promo will be starting this Friday for Rocket? I'd like to get a few more. It can't be for Guardians of Galaxy DVD which has a release date of Dec 9th. I also need to get the Brown Ninja.

Got the Palace Cinema modular for my 40th Birthday from the wife - A very cool set to build! So now have the Cinema, Pet Shop, Fire Brigade and Emporium. Looks like I might have missed the boat on the Town Hall though :/ Ebay prices are already going crazy... put the Parisian Restaurant on my christmas wish list, fingers crossed :D

Picked up the lego movie Ice Cream Truck and Garbage Truck 2 in 1 sets over the weekend - these were really fun to build both versions, really like the gnashing teeth on the Garbage truck alt-mode! I plan to have them both in their normal modes tho - should be good additions to my modular street.

My display is all packed away at the moment as we're having new heating fitted at home but as soon as that's done I will try and get some pics together :)

One question I have tho - I have some old straight and T junction road pieces from when I as a kid, thought these would look good with the modulars, but the problem is the modular base plates aren't designed to sit on top of anything else, and the buildings look silly being way back from the street if I put the road base plates in front of them... any suggestions?

Congrats! I have learned my lesson after missing out on Town Hall. When in doubt about a modular, buy it. :)
If you change your mind, you can always sell it for cost or even make money on it.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well, after 3 TRUs, I finally got 1 Rocket polybag.

Store 1: Sunday. Nothing, but they checked on the computer and listed that 2 other stores closer to my work received them.

Store 2: Monday lunch. A work checked and there was supposed to be 1 on floor, but nothing. Customer service looked further and found they were in a hold bin for a promotion. Stated the promotion was for this Friday, 11/21. Couldn't sell to me.

Store 3: Monday after work. Checked and they had them behind the customer service desk. Lady asked her manager what she was doing with them because they were listed as promo. Manager said she was selling them because no details on what the promo was given on their system. I asked how many could I buy, sadly she said only 1.

Does anyone know what the promo will be starting this Friday for Rocket? I'd like to get a few more. It can't be for Guardians of Galaxy DVD which has a release date of Dec 9th. I also need to get the Brown Ninja.
Sorry, on my phone so can't research it fully but a poor quality scan of an ad posted earlier in this thread details the promo. I believe it is another $30 LEGO purchase freebie.

just wanna chime in quick and say that i just built Metalbeard and... i am astounded that this guy looks THAT much better than i expected. The finished build is just a beautiful Steampunk creation that oozes charm and style :) This guy is now the new King of my mechs, de-throning Lex's Power Armor! (i know he's technically not a Mech but he still looks like one kinda, also one could argue that the head pilots the rest so... ;)

just wanna chime in quick and say that i just built Metalbeard and... i am astounded that this guy looks THAT much better than i expected. The finished build is just a beautiful Steampunk creation that oozes charm and style :) This guy is now the new King of my mechs, de-throning Lex's Power Armor! (i know he's technically not a Mech but he still looks like one kinda, also one could argue that the head pilots the rest so... ;)

I dunno, the Samurai Mech kind of towers over every other official mech (except the construction mech from the movie, I guess), and it's pretty awesome.

Rootbeer

Banned
okay i received a bn.com holiday coupon book. it contains several coupons, including *two* 20% off any item coupons. but they expire on the 24th of december.

do these stack with the bn.com member discount?

okay i received a bn.com holiday coupon book. it contains several coupons, including *two* 20% off any item coupons. but they expire on the 24th of december.

do these stack with the bn.com member discount?

They do, but read the fine print. Many say "does not work on LEGO product in the toys and games department." Which means it will work on Architecture sets, and nothing else LEGO. Well, the books.

Ponn

Banned
Ok success at TRU, but it was a hassle and still left a little disappointed. They didn't have the rocket polybags out. Picked up a batwing polybag and they had two of Spikels so I grabbed those two grabbed a Witch King Battle because it wasn't marked up to high heaven like the other sets. I figured those would be enough to get me a Mikey polybag free. Asked about the rocket and told them what they said last night. My heart sank when the lady came back and said she found them but they weren't for sale because they were for a promotion. She couldn't find the promotion though (because technically there isn't one yet but yea we know its coming) She got a manager and I explained what the guy said last night and after standing around and "checking" several more times he finally gave up and said if it scans he would sell them to me. And of course it scanned so I nabbed two of them.

They wouldn't give me the free mikey polybag though because they said the mixels and polybags didn't count as sets. I already have a mikey fig and just didn't feel like arguing or pushing my luck any further so just said fine and left. I wouldn't have got the Witch King Battle there but its not going to get marked down that much more anywhere so whatever.

Rootbeer

Banned
They do, but read the fine print. Many say "does not work on LEGO product in the toys and games department." Which means it will work on Architecture sets, and nothing else LEGO. Well, the books.

Oh right, you mentioned this before! Well... zero chance i'm reupping after this year, but i'm sure I can find some cool books to buy.

Thanks!

Oh right, you mentioned this before! Well... zero chance i'm reupping after this year, but i'm sure I can find some cool books to buy.

Thanks!

I haven't gotten a print coupon in ages, so I dont know if those are restricted too. But I know the email coupons dont work, and it is annoying.

Cruzito

Neo Member
Can you post either a pic of the barcode of the Dareth bag, or the twelve digit UPC code?

I wanna call my local stores tommorrow am to check availability!

Can not miss that poly!

Here's the pic of the UPC code on the back of the Ninjago Dareth Brown Ninja poly bag. I found it in a Lego shipping box on the floor behind the customer service desk at Toys R Us. Rocket Racoon and the TMNT poly bag were all together in the box.

zFIbvBp.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
I haven't gotten a print coupon in ages, so I dont know if those are restricted too. But I know the email coupons dont work, and it is annoying.

I can confirm that the holiday book coupons DO NOT work on LEGO. it's still in the fine print. these are coupons that came in the mail in a little holiday book (b@n members: expect to find them in your mailbox soon)

Such a shame. That leaves very little other than books that I'd care to buy with this. And in fact, I read most books on a Kindle so it would have to be some kind of deluxe art book (like the recent World of Ice & Fire, but I already own it :x)

B&N needs to watch out lest it find itself totally extinct. Other stores have less restrictive coupon policies. You can't even use this coupon on a Nook, their flagship product. What a rip off.
They wouldn't give me the free mikey polybag though because they said the mixels and polybags didn't count as sets.

Wow what kind of BS is this? I can tell you i scored a free mikey polybag yesterday by purchasing a $20 chima set and some rocket polybags to top the $30 mark. i had no such issues.

It's weird where they decide to draw their lines sometimes. And of course, there seems to be no true consistent policy on these sorts of things. That's why it's always worth asking cause I doubt the employees themselves even know for certain more oft than not. But i still know where you are coming from on the "not pushing your luck" thing -- it's best not to rock the boat too much, especially if you think you'll be seeing these employees again in the future. it's a good idea to try to build up a relationship with some of them so they recognize you and are more willing to help you.

Yet. Get Pet Shop while the getting is good though.

if the choice is between a retail price petshop in a couple weeks and a billion-dollar town hall in a few months, or a slightly-overpriced town hall now and a billion-dollar pet shop later, i don't know if i can win..... :( modulars so good....

R-User!

Here's the pic of the UPC code on the back of the Ninjago Dareth Brown Ninja poly bag. I found it in a Lego shipping box on the floor behind the customer service desk at Toys R Us. Rocket Racoon and the TMNT poly bag were all together in the box.

zFIbvBp.jpg

Thanks for the UPC. My store had them and were able to sell them. I got two!

Dareth in the house!

Ok success at TRU, but it was a hassle and still left a little disappointed. They didn't have the rocket polybags out. Picked up a batwing polybag and they had two of Spikels so I grabbed those two grabbed a Witch King Battle because it wasn't marked up to high heaven like the other sets. I figured those would be enough to get me a Mikey polybag free. Asked about the rocket and told them what they said last night. My heart sank when the lady came back and said she found them but they weren't for sale because they were for a promotion. She couldn't find the promotion though (because technically there isn't one yet but yea we know its coming) She got a manager and I explained what the guy said last night and after standing around and "checking" several more times he finally gave up and said if it scans he would sell them to me. And of course it scanned so I nabbed two of them.

They wouldn't give me the free mikey polybag though because they said the mixels and polybags didn't count as sets. I already have a mikey fig and just didn't feel like arguing or pushing my luck any further so just said fine and left. I wouldn't have got the Witch King Battle there but its not going to get marked down that much more anywhere so whatever.

Congrats!
Looking at eBay prices, I probably could have gotten 1 for around $10 plus shipping. For all the time and gas I spent it may have been worth just getting it off eBay. I did have the hopes I could buy multiples though...and I did end up buying some non-LEGO construction blind bags so not a total waste of time. Got some GI Joe Kreons and some K'Nex Super Mario ones.

zFIbvBp.jpg

Many thanks! The UPC for the Rocket Racoon helped me a LOT in my search. This could be very handy.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'll be checking for that Ninjago bag tomorrow I guess. Dayum... I'm not sure if anyone has said so directly but TRU has had a string of pretty nice polybags these last several weeks. While some were re-releases, most of them I'd missed the first time around. Was nice to see them back within reach at MSRP.

if the choice is between a retail price petshop in a couple weeks and a billion-dollar town hall in a few months, or a slightly-overpriced town hall now and a billion-dollar pet shop later, i don't know if i can win..... :( modulars so good....

Pet Shop, any day of the week. Town Hall is a parts pack.

Stopped by my LEGO store and they said they won't get any Minecraft sets in until January. They are currently only available online until then.

They have been bare of CMF Series 12 for about 3 weeks now.

Also, no Santa's Workshop shipments for awhile. They may get some in on Thursday's shipment.

EDIT: Anyone have any PAB needs? They have the brown horses at my LEGO store. I saw it last week and I'm surprised they had a bin full still. Last time they were gone in less than 1 week. Let me know as I suspect they won't last much longer.

Leunam

I've got a request. My nieces and nephew got to my modulars and tore little bits and bobs off without warning me. No big deal, but I can't find my instructions for the fire brigade truck. Would anyone here be so kind as to snap shots of the sides, top, and rear for me? I'd really appreciate it.

I've got a request. My nieces and nephew got to my modulars and tore little bits and bobs off without warning me. No big deal, but I can't find my instructions for the fire brigade truck. Would anyone here be so kind as to snap shots of the sides, top, and rear for me? I'd really appreciate it.
Look up the set on Brickset. They have the instructions available in there.

tanod

when is my burrito
Hi everybody!

We got legos for my two boys last year for Christmas and they've really gotten into them since then. Where should I be looking for good deals over the next month or so?

If the minifigs represent the new show I will be so fucking angry, I absolutely abhor the new style. Huge wave of happiness over Scooby-Doo Lego immediately crashed. Please for the love of God don't give them moulded heads so was can just swap out other faces.

I still don't understand how Cartoon Network and Lego haven't worked together on an Adventure Time theme yet. They do Ninjago, Chima, Mixels, and now Scooby-Doo together but I've talked to Pen about it a couple times and even he doesn't know why it hasn't happened. Is Adventure Time only popular in the US or something?

Hi everybody!

We got legos for my two boys last year for Christmas and they've really gotten into them since then. Where should I be looking for good deals over the next month or so?

I follow http://toysnbricks.com/ and http://brickset.com/buy mostly. This thread is good at giving a good heads up on good sales.

Avoid ToysRUs if possible. They sometimes have good deals, but they mark up the prices on most of the LEGO sets by ~20% or so. Lately, they have some sets at MSRP.
Brickset.com has all the sets and their MSRP prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom