• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monster Fighters is 40% off at Toys R Us locations tomorrow (except for the Haunted House).

If you're still on the fence about the Vampyre Castle, now's the time to get it.

I'm debating about Ghost Train.

I know it may be considered blasphemy but I like the vampire castle more than haunted house. The micro build pipe organ, bookshelf, and bed are so good.

ghostmind

My first 2015 set:

Ql7vkao.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
No brown ninja today. The cashier clearly has been getting asked about it, because as soon as I flashed the barcode she asked, "Ninjago?"

However my store received MORE rockets. So if your store sold out, try again today or in the coming 2 or 3 days.

Based on how many mikeys and rockets my store has right now, I think availability of the brown ninja should not be a problem. As long as you check in frequently ;)

Also unrelated but possibly of interest: amiibo figs are 3 for $30 tomorrow at TRU.

No brown ninja today. The cashier clearly has been getting asked about it, because as soon as I flashed the barcode she asked, "Ninjago?"

However my store received MORE rockets. So if your store sold out, try again today or in the coming 2 or 3 days.

Based on how many mikeys and rockets my store has right now, I think availability of the brown ninja should not be a problem. As long as you check in frequently ;)

Also unrelated but possibly of interest: amiibo figs are 3 for $30 tomorrow at TRU.

Here's the ad for U.S. stores.

15216216813_53dce0f024_z.jpg

LEGO Rocket Raccoon Toys R Us by tormentalous, on Flickr

wetwired

Oh, that Slimer looks awesome.

And what are your thoughts on the Tumbler so far? The early parts of the build were so cool to me because it feels like a tank going together.

The stickers are disappointing, mainly cause I'm so crap at putting them on, I have to take them off at least once to get it right and end up wrecking them a little bit.

I also found the order in which the stickers go on annoying, you have to build a whole assembly and then stick them on, I found it easier to put them on the single pieces alone.

Building it I've reconfirmed my dislike for technic, a lot of time building supports and frameworks and very little so far building things that aesthetically make any difference. I've put a lot of pins in the wrong holes (heh) only to have to pull whole pieces apart and redo them.

And holy shit...all that black, I ended up having to pull out a torch to trawl through my pile of pieces to find parts because the blacks were hard to distinguish in the poor lighting in my lounge room.

The size of the tires and the weight and size of it so far is impressive though.

I know it may be considered blasphemy but I like the vampire castle more than haunted house. The micro build pipe organ, bookshelf, and bed are so good.

Naw I'm with you. Love the Castle. It was the first big build my daughter and I did together. Special place in my heart and all.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Thought this might be relevant here:
Adult Lego Users Research Project

Lots of questions on things like dark ages and social factors relating to being an adult and "playing" with Lego. I ended my dark ages when I was around 19, but I know for obvious reasons lots of people fall out of the hobby because it's not cool or whatever when they're growing up. I can't see myself being unLEGO'd ever again now that i'm back in though. Disposable income definitely helps :D

Apparently the results will help TLG focus their resources in 2016.

Was that the Emeryville TRU? I was there on Tuesday and they were out. It'd be awesome if they got more in.

Thought this might be relevant here:
Adult Lego Users Research Project

Lots of questions on things like dark ages and social factors relating to being an adult and "playing" with Lego. I ended my dark ages when I was around 19, but I know for obvious reasons lots of people fall out of the hobby because it's not cool or whatever when they're growing up. I can't see myself being unLEGO'd ever again now that i'm back in though. Disposable income definitely helps :D

Apparently the results will help TLG focus their resources in 2016.

I took the survey yesterday. I liked the response "nothing holds me back".

On another note... I'm a full-fledged member of GAF. Woohoo.

I took the survey yesterday. I liked the response "nothing holds me back".

On another note... I'm a full-fledged member of GAF. Woohoo.

Congrats on becoming a full member. And nothing sacrilege about liked Vampyre Castle more. It is a tip top set that didn't get anywhere near the love that it should have when it was around.

The stickers are disappointing, mainly cause I'm so crap at putting them on, I have to take them off at least once to get it right and end up wrecking them a little bit.

I also found the order in which the stickers go on annoying, you have to build a whole assembly and then stick them on, I found it easier to put them on the single pieces alone.

Building it I've reconfirmed my dislike for technic, a lot of time building supports and frameworks and very little so far building things that aesthetically make any difference. I've put a lot of pins in the wrong holes (heh) only to have to pull whole pieces apart and redo them.

And holy shit...all that black, I ended up having to pull out a torch to trawl through my pile of pieces to find parts because the blacks were hard to distinguish in the poor lighting in my lounge room.

The size of the tires and the weight and size of it so far is impressive though.
I find the technic stuff fascinating because it is foreign to me. I just can't really design structures like that in my brain for MOCs, so doing it like that in a big set is usually refreshing. Well, to a point. As long as the technic frames don't go on for too terribly long in the build I am fine. But when they drag on for so long, like in the SSD, then it starts to bring the set down some.

And yeah, the tires and weight of the set are so beastly. I am curious if you will have the same issue that I had near the end, where all the fins and plates are just barely attached and the set goes from feeling like it could kill someone to something that you feel could flake apart if you touch it wrong.

wetwired

Not to tempt people but those Creator "Modular Jr" sets are even more tempting after seeing this.

14337973087_4922ab97e6_z.jpg

LEGO Creator 31026 BikeShop_Upgrade Version by hs0104c, on Flickr

It doesn't state how many sets were needed, but I'm guessing 2 and maybe very few additional bricks.

NCspQPf.jpg

That to me just highlights my issues with the creator buildings, the modulars are a recognizable representation of a particular architectural style, whereas the creator buildings are more just a loose representation of a generic building.

Rootbeer

Banned
Was that the Emeryville TRU? I was there on Tuesday and they were out. It'd be awesome if they got more in.

Correct! They had a FULL box of Rocket right on the customer service desk. The box must have had at least 100 in it. Possibly 200 since it seems most stores started off with 200 which would make sense.

Correct! They had a FULL box of Rocket right on the customer service desk. The box must have had at least 100 in it. Possibly 200 since it seems most stores started off with 200 which would make sense.

Thanks! I just picked up two. One for me and the other for my wife. She loves the baby groot.

They have a bunch here. At least 100 in the box behind the counter like you said.

ghostmind

31031 Rainforest Animals

A bit smaller than last year's Forest Animals, this set is still a fun build and the main models (which are the only ones I have built so far) look great. The parrot does have one... uh... unique feature.

eCYuE0Q.jpg

The main build for this set.

C6IpThj.jpg

Pull up the parrot's tail and he poops pearl-gold round tiles. Really. It comes with a supply to fill him up with. Seriously.

NgAT5QU.jpg

The rainforest gang is all here.

uhzFkZ0.jpg

Then the Eagle crashes the party.

Ravek

Banned
31031 Rainforest Animals

A bit smaller than last year's Forest Animals, this set is still a fun build and the main models (which are the only ones I have built so far) look great. The parrot does have one... uh... unique feature.

eCYuE0Q.jpg

C6IpThj.jpg

Pull up the parrot's tail and he poops pearl-gold round tiles. Really. It comes with a supply to fill him up with. Seriously.

NgAT5QU.jpg

uhzFkZ0.jpg

I don't want to believe LEGO included poop.

ghostmind

Tomorrow at 10AM EST is the big Detective's Office reveal, complete with better images and a designer video.

The price for the set will be US $159.99 - CA $199.99 - DE 149.99€ - UK £132.99 - DK 1399.00 DKK

Tomorrow at 10AM EST is the big Detective's Office reveal, complete with better images and a designer video.

The price for the set will be US $159.99 - CA $199.99 - DE 149.99€ - UK £132.99 - DK 1399.00 DKK

$160? For shame. I guess the Modulars are getting the price creep now.

The Canadian price is going back up to what it was before last year's $10 price drop with the Parisian Restaurant.

Still a great price IMO.

Oh, it is still a damn good price to the amount of pieces. That is without a doubt. But after so many of the sets hitting the $150 spot, with Town Hall and Parisian Restaurant being the outliers, it kind of hurts to see it increase. At least it is a marginal increase, and not something crazy like some of the Star Wars UCS sets from the last few years.

ghostmind

Oh, it is still a damn good price to the amount of pieces. That is without a doubt. But after so many of the sets hitting the $150 spot, with Town Hall and Parisian Restaurant being the outliers, it kind of hurts to see it increase. At least it is a marginal increase, and not something crazy like some of the Star Wars UCS sets from the last few years.

UCS Slave I is actually closer in price between USD and CAD than previous - only a $30 difference, versus the usual $50.

Regardless, January 1st is going to be an expensive day.

So I've almost finished going through all my Space Lego, and I've done pretty well. Only about a dozen missing pieces out of hundreds. It makes 6-7 different sets!

I've put all the missing pieces into Bricklink on my wanted list, and I've selected the whole list with the checkbox 'Query Shops' and clicked 'Submit'. My understanding is that it will give me a list of shops that have all of the pieces I need, so I can make a single convenient order. However, clicking on random shops from this list doesn't show me all of the wanted pieces, just a subset, which obviously differs from shop to shop.

Is there a way to see a list of shops that have all of the missing pieces I need, and maybe even sorted by total price (incl shipping)?

R-User!

31031 Rainforest Animals

eCYuE0Q.jpg

C6IpThj.jpg

NgAT5QU.jpg

uhzFkZ0.jpg

Lol pooping parrot.

UCS Slave I is actually closer in price between USD and CAD than previous - only a $30 difference, versus the usual $50.

Regardless, January 1st is going to be an expensive day.

I think the most expensive release day had to be in 2013 when Sydney Opera House and Ewok Village released on the same day.

Right now, I am just glad that I have so much in VIP points saved up to make Jan 1st hurt a lot less.

DemiMatt

Monster Fighters is 40% off at Toys R Us locations tomorrow (except for the Haunted House).

If you're still on the fence about the Vampyre Castle, now's the time to get it.

I'm debating about Ghost Train.

Does this mean the Haunted House is available? I've been looking for one for a while T_T

So I've almost finished going through all my Space Lego, and I've done pretty well. Only about a dozen missing pieces out of hundreds. It makes 6-7 different sets!

I've put all the missing pieces into Bricklink on my wanted list, and I've selected the whole list with the checkbox 'Query Shops' and clicked 'Submit'. My understanding is that it will give me a list of shops that have all of the pieces I need, so I can make a single convenient order. However, clicking on random shops from this list doesn't show me all of the wanted pieces, just a subset, which obviously differs from shop to shop.

Is there a way to see a list of shops that have all of the missing pieces I need, and maybe even sorted by total price (incl shipping)?

Normally, it will give you the shop with the most available items from your list. If there are rare pieces, you might not find a seller with everything. Note that if you're replacing old parts, it might be useful to look for both new and used parts. Also, in some cases there are modern replacements - this is noted in the item descriptions.

An important distinction when you're dealing with Classic Space is that you want light grey pieces, not light bluish grey. However, there are some other variations that might not be important, like getting newer minifig heads or an updated helmet.

Normally, it will give you the shop with the most available items from your list. If there are rare pieces, you might not find a seller with everything. Note that if you're replacing old parts, it might be useful to look for both new and used parts. Also, in some cases there are modern replacements - this is noted in the item descriptions.

An important distinction when you're dealing with Classic Space is that you want light grey pieces, not light bluish grey. However, there are some other variations that might not be important, like getting newer minifig heads or an updated helmet.
Ah I see. Thanks.

I kind of assumed all the parts were 'used', so I'm not actually sure what the search was set to. Being that they're replacements, used is fine. And when you say 'modern replacements', what does that mean exactly? Are they the same as the old ones? If not, what differs?

Thanks for the heads up about light gray vs light blue gray. I've been getting my set inventory from Bricklink's catalog, so it's been quite specific about the pieces being light gray. I don't think there were any light blue gray pieces in any of the sets.

ghostmind

The only one left in stock online is Heartlake High.

I've already got most of these sets, save for the High and the Ninjago one, but if you are interested in Olivia's House and can get it locally, I would say go for it.

neonglow

The only one left in stock online is Heartlake High.

I've already got most of these sets, save for the High and the Ninjago one, but if you are interested in Olivia's House and can get it locally, I would say go for it.

They're sold out for shipping, but you can still get most of them for in-store pickup.

wetwired

Tumbler finished!

3 hours in, up to and including bags 4 (there's multiple bags for the first few numbers)

Tumbler1.jpg

6 hours in, complete!

Tumbler2.jpg

the 2nd half went a lot quicker, most of it is mirrored so you can pretty much do both sides in one step to save time.

This thing is massive and heavy but a lot of the panels and exterior details aren't exactly solid. I'm actually a bit disappointed in the joker minifig, I think sand green would have worked better for the hair and the jacket-less costume I think is more iconic from the heath ledger joker but oh well.

I'll have to get some photos next to my own tumbler and the other one I made based on someone else's instructions for comparison, but this thing is huge, it's about half the footprint of my batcave even.

nny

New home, new Holidays setup; this time our Winter Village has three levels:

DSC09902_zps023152a2.jpg

On the middle level, the illuminated main street is busy with some people enjoying the snow, others trying to decide what to give to their GAF Tiny Tim, the Martian Manhunter window shopping, you know, the usual.

DSC09894_zps3f48b76c.jpg

DSC09907_zps8290d40f.jpg

But the real holiday fun is happening on the top, where there is a winter fair going on:

DSC09895_zps254a15ed.jpg

Everyone is gathered, enjoying some food, some live music or even the Merry-go-Round (I think Darth Revan is having a little too much fun - he's going to end up harming someone waving that lightsaber around like that):

DSC09896_zpse8c4c391.jpg

:D

R-User!

Tumbler finished!

3 hours in, up to and including bags 4 (there's multiple bags for the first few numbers)

Tumbler1.jpg

6 hours in, complete!

Tumbler2.jpg

the 2nd half went a lot quicker, most of it is mirrored so you can pretty much do both sides in one step to save time.

This thing is massive and heavy but a lot of the panels and exterior details aren't exactly solid. I'm actually a bit disappointed in the joker minifig, I think sand green would have worked better for the hair and the jacket-less costume I think is more iconic from the heath ledger joker but oh well.

I'll have to get some photos next to my own tumbler and the other one I made based on someone else's instructions for comparison, but this thing is huge, it's about half the footprint of my batcave even.

Despite the exterior "flimsiness" at the end, how would you rate the overall build?

I found it to be fascinating how the foundation was built even though you never see it outside of during the build; just knowing what's "under the hood" to me is a thrill to think back on!

Zerojul

New home, new Holidays setup; this time our Winter Village has three levels:

Lovely setup, I'm building all the winter sets with my GF at the moment and trying to figure out where to display everything. Grouping them by "theme" is a nice idea.
I especially like your "Winter Fair" setting a lot. ( I also like your Revoltech Layton, your V.C. artbook and your Pearl Jam book, but that's irrelevant ;-) )

ghostmind

4yIlMWe.jpg

10246 Detective’s Office

Ages 16+. 2,262 pieces.

US $159.99 – CA $199.99 – DE 149.99€ – UK £132.99 – DK 1399.00 DKK

*Euro pricing varies by country. Please visit shop.LEGO.com for regional pricing.

Discover hidden clues and surprises at the Detective’s Office!

Discover a world of mystery and adventure with the LEGO® Creator Expert Detective’s Office! Step through the open archway and into the barbershop, where seated customers are pampered in the reflection of a large wall mirror, while next door, competitors play pool and darts beneath the comforting whir of a rotating ceiling fan. Venture to the first floor and you’ll find the detective’s office, his desk strewn with clues, a safe containing valuable evidence and a concealed wall compartment. Then visit the adjacent bathroom, featuring a classic pull-chain toilet, before taking the stairway to the well-equipped kitchen, from where you can access the roof terrace, complete with large water tower. This latest addition to the LEGO Modular Building series is packed with unsurpassed detail and hidden surprises. Easy-to-remove roof and ceilings provide access to the delightful interior, while the exterior of the building features a decorative roofline and a beautifully designed façade. Can you solve the smuggling mystery? Includes 6 minifigures with assorted accessories: Detective Ace Brickman, Al the barber, dart player, pool player, police woman and a mysterious lady in red.

• Includes 6 minifigures with assorted accessories: Detective Ace Brickman, Al the barber, dart player, pool player, police woman and a mysterious lady in red
• Features a pool hall, barbershop, detective’s office, bathroom, kitchen, water tower and a cat
• Detective’s office features a desk, assorted clues, brick-built lamp, filing cabinet, fan, safe, painting, concealed wall compartment, newspaper, menu, wanted poster and a wall lamp
• Pool hall features a hinged, rotatable ceiling fan, pool table, printed dartboard, pool cues, pool balls and a drinking glass
• Barbershop features never-before-seen scissors and reflective mirror element, 2 wall lamps, barber’s chair, hinged cabinet, 2 mannequin heads and a broom
• Bathroom features a detailed pull-chain toilet
• Kitchen features a stove, barrel, table, cabinet, refrigerator, wall clock and a rolling pin
• Accessories include Ace Brickman’s brimmed hat, briefcase, magnifying glass and a police hat
• Detach the roof and floors for easy access
• Search for hidden clues
• Help Ace Brickman solve the mystery!
• Special elements include never-before-seen scissors and reflective mirror element, printed dartboard, wanted poster, 1×1 round plate with hole in black, painter’s roller in black, designing element 1x2x2 in dark gray, 1×2 bricks in light blue, 1×3 tiles in brown and a 32×32 base plate in brown
• Detective’s Office measures over 10” (27cm) high, 9” (25cm) wide and 9” (25cm) deep
• Collect and build an entire town with the LEGO® Creator Expert Modular Building series: 10232 Palace Cinema and 10243 Parisian Restaurant

IT'S A JAMIE SET!

Designer Video:

http://youtu.be/UoQMpqjdPTQ

It looks like the barber is sweeping away a severed head.

And seeing the 1x2 brick with axle hole confirms my theory as to how the fists are attached to the top of the building. Just one long axle that you thread through them.

Is that guy hiding a barrel of moonshine under the building?

And offset windows using jumper plates. Still curious to see if it is Jamie since he likes doing that.

EDIT: Dammit, lol. The time it took to type that all up, you posted the video and tons of pics. LOL.

About to watch the video, but whoa! Brown baseplate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom