• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFuzz

So am I SOL on the monster minifig series? I grabbed 8 when I was in the store one day, but I'd like to think these have a fairly easy ROI for Lego. Why not keep making more?

Same thing here Rux. I've seen them a couple times and nothing in weeks now. I wanted a few more. Atlanta Targets were the best bet but I haven't seen anything in awhile.

Ponn

Banned
Ohh, deja vu. I just had this exact discussion but about Transformers. Same thing there - "Hasbro doesn't meet the demands of the userbase so it's totally okay for others to infringe on copyright and produce the stuff that the fans really want". Sorry, but no. I'd like to see Lego produce every character available and sell them for $1 each, but that's not happening in the real world. That doesn't mean that I feel okay with buying knockoffs. If I really want something that doesn't exist, I can try to build it out of existing parts or I can customize it myself. If I get non-Lego, just to fill out my collection of Lego figures... well, what's the point? Why even bother to collect Lego at that point?

And while there's no reason to expect that the transparent Iron-Man is stuffed with lead paint... it's pretty damn reasonable to think that it could be. Lego is one of the safest (and most expensive) toys around because they have standards and a reputation. Random Chinese workshop doesn't and hasn't. It could be good stuff, it could be anything. But if they don't care about IP infringement, why would they care (much) about safety? Also, who profits? In other knockoff businesses, situated in China, there's often organized crime. Sure, it may be scaremongering to say that your Aliexpress Hulk finances extortion in Shanghai somewhere, but can we be sure? They're doing illegal business to begin with, why stop with toys? Is there some code of honour? "Sure, we pirate commercial goods but we would never associate with ACTUAL crime!"

It's your own money and it's probably not a lead hazard that finances crime (probably). I just feel like I don't need to pad out my already packed figure collection with worthless copies. I'm quite happy with my $30 Chell, thank you.

You bring up a good point about Transformers but not for the reasons you said. Transformers knock-offs are pointless because Hasbro really is meeting the demand for their figures right now and in the past. They made a Unicron, they are still churning out Masterpieces, they have the Generations line, they have Combiners. As a Transformers fan I have zero complaints about their output and they are making the most out of their IP. I would also say that the fan projects that started popping up years ago before the Generations and combiner lines kicked off probably kicked Hasbro in their ass and made them hustle to cash in. I don't think its a coincidence we are seeing the Combiner Wars line after those fan project lines of combiners.

I find it strange TLG isn't responding in the same way with their IP's they have licensed. It's like they are intentionally leaving money on the table. As a fan of certain lines like Super Heroes or LoTR of course I would like as many characters from their IP's as possible, there is no such thing as too big of a collection. And I would drop my money to Lego each and every time for those characters. In the meantime the China bootlegs fill a void Lego isn't filling. It's just unfortunate they are also making knock-off's from figs that are made by Lego.

Rootbeer

Banned
So am I SOL on the monster minifig series? I grabbed 8 when I was in the store one day, but I'd like to think these have a fairly easy ROI for Lego. Why not keep making more?

I've seen them all over... as recently as this week I've seen lots of them at Target, Toys R Us and even Barnes & Noble had a box of them. Get out there and look!
It was a red herring. They are actually hearing all the outcry for a Lando fig and are going to put out a giant set based on the Star Wars Dance game from Star Wars Kinect with an electric boogaloo Lando fig.
I'm still salty about no Lando minifig in the Carbon Freeze Chamber set coming out. Would be so easy to include him there.

Obviously Lando appears after the Hoth sequences so he's not going to be in any of the Hoth sets, including Echo Base... so I'm wondering if we will get a Lando in 2016 at all, because right now there is no indication of it D:

The lack of Cloud City themed sets in general is appalling enough. It's like they are intentionally avoiding having to make a Lando :(

ghostmind

I'm expecting up to 4 waves for Star Wars in 2016, 1 of which will be focussed on Rogue One, so there are still plenty of opportunities for Lando and Cloud City to make an appearance, especially now that they have created an Ugnaught mold.

The Toy Fairs in January and February will be very interesting this year.

Speaking of which:

London - 01/24 to 01/26
Nuremberg - 01/27 to 02/01
NYTF - 02/13 to 02/16

I think at this point I'm just gonna Bricklink the rest of the Monster minifigs I don't have because I am pretty bad at finding the ones I want, tired of repeats.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm thinking about just buying a Lando off bricklink cause not having one with my other SW figures is making me weary :p The General version runs close to $15, not that terrible.

I do have one, but it's the Jabba's Palace version, not the same!
I think at this point I'm just gonna Bricklink the rest of the Monster minifigs I don't have because I am pretty bad at finding the ones I want, tired of repeats.
Sorry to hear that. I find it a fun challenge. I always bring the cheat seat with me though for help (the minifig checklist that comes in every pack). This wave seems like both spirits get cherry picked out of boxes fairly fast since they are really easy to feel for, but there are a few other minifigs that are easy to feel in this set too.

I'm thinking about just buying a Lando off bricklink cause not having one with my other SW figures is making me weary :p The General version runs close to $15, not that terrible.

I do have one, but it's the Jabba's Palace version, not the same!

Sorry to hear that. I find it a fun challenge. I always bring the cheat seat with me though for help (the minifig checklist that comes in every pack). This wave seems like both spirits get cherry picked out of boxes fairly fast since they are really easy to feel for, but there are a few other minifigs that are easy to feel in this set too.

I kinda liked it when they had the barcodes...I always have a horrible time trying to feel for accessories so I just grab a bunch and hope for the best. Sometimes that works out and other times, it doesn't.

Rootbeer

Banned
I feel bad because the minifig packs keep ripping open when I feel them in the monster packs

When feeling the bags that seem like they have a spirit and I'm trying to determine which spirit is in the bag i've had two rip on me. Never had a problem with previous waves doing that. It's caused by the spirit torso piece, it's shaped in a way that can pierce the bag somewhat easily.

Wondering if anyone has had problems with this, in this wave or any other.

Maengun1

You'll definitely see them again. They're not going to be discontinued until the next wave comes out in January at the earliest. Minifigs tend to pop up and disappear sort of randomly as they sell out/restocks arrive. I always check what minifigures are available every time I'm in a store that sells Lego just out of curiosity, and various stores in my area still have the monsters, Simpsons series 2, series 13 and even series 12.

Doesn't stop me from going wild and grabbing all 16 of a series in the first couple days they're out though, lol

I feel bad because the minifig packs keep ripping open when I feel them in the monster packs

When feeling the bags that seem like they have a spirit and I'm trying to determine which spirit is in the bag i've had two rip on me. Never had a problem with previous waves doing that. It's caused by the spirit torso piece, it's shaped in a way that can pierce the bag somewhat easily.

Wondering if anyone has had problems with this, in this wave or any other.

Somehow I picture you viciously mashing the bags. :) Worst I've done is crumple the bag a bit. Did it split in the middle by the flap? I shake the bags to feel closer to the sides.

Osahi

Built the Special Forces Tie Fighter. After the reviews I wasn't expecting too much, I just bought it because I want a Tie. But boy, this was way better then I had expected. It is quite a fun build to begin with, thanks to lots of little pieces used to make the round shape and the texturing of the bulky wing attachments and stuff. The wings itself weren't as repetitive as expected, as they are quite big builds so one you start the second, the first steps of the first are allready quite some time ago.

And built it is just such a beast. Bigger then I thought, and really imposing. Makes for a great display piece.

So yeah, the only thing against this is the price. 75 euros for 500 pieces is waaaay to much Star Wars tax, even when you consider getting 4 minifigs. I payed around 63 and that fits this set better.

TL;DR: better set then expected and really cool to look at.

Now I have all TFA sets I wanted (all hero sets and Tie), the villain sets don't really look that good to me and I'm sure Kylo's ship wil see a quick rerelease with the right wing positions... I hope the second wave has some cool sets to get at least some new stormtroopers (long live the battle packs)...

Debating whether to bite on this offer for the new Millennium Falcon for 25% on Amazon UK. SW Battlefront beta basically did it's job and got me nostalgia'ing hard for classic Star Wars. It looks like it'd be ridiculously easy to moc it to it's original trilogy look, so that's another insentive. And i just want something fun and beefy to build. If only I could be 100% sure that it wouldn't go out of stock later this year (which it will, because the next few months will be Star Wars hysteria) or if Black Friday deals were gonna be better priced I'd pass on it and just go for Wall-e like I intended to do today. Heck, I wasn't even wanting to get back into Star Wars Lego. But man... it's the Falcon.

Help

Debating whether to bite on this offer for the new Millennium Falcon for 25% on Amazon UK. SW Battlefront beta basically did it's job and got me nostalgia'ing hard for classic Star Wars. It looks like it'd be ridiculously easy to moc it to it's original trilogy look, so that's another insentive. And i just want something fun and beefy to build. If only I could be 100% sure that it wouldn't go out of stock later this year (which it will, because the next few months will be Star Wars hysteria) or if Black Friday deals were gonna be better priced I'd pass on it and just go for Wall-e like I intended to do today. Heck, I wasn't even wanting to get back into Star Wars Lego. But man... it's the Falcon.

Help

Paid full price for it on day 1 and haven't looked back. Awesome set and the new modifications don't bother me at all. The interior is also very well done.

My first falcon since the original Kenner one!

Help

I got it for 25% off the asking price and was pretty happy with it. The build is rather repetitive, but it's a cool ship and you're not going to get an original Falcon anytime soon. I also doubt that it will see any clearances in a while, so take advantage of any deals.

Rootbeer

Banned
Somehow I picture you viciously mashing the bags. :) Worst I've done is crumple the bag a bit. Did it split in the middle by the flap? I shake the bags to feel closer to the sides.

Actually thinking about it I also had a bag split while feeling the Spider Lady too...

I do plenty of shaking and feeling on the sides, but some pieces bulge the bag and it will break open if you make any sudden feels on the bag it doesn't like. I guess I'm the only one? >.<

Has anyone seen previous week Bricktober sets on store shelves? I figured they'd have leftover stock like last year but my Toys R Us has mentioned them running out. I was hoping to just buy them for $20 each instead of spending $75 four times to get them all.

I went to TRU today to use my 15% off coupon and they have several Bakery but none of the previous sets. They were practically tell me to buy $75.00 so they can give me the promotion when I was browsing the LEGO section. I think they have a lot of the bakery one.

So it has been awhile since I got and opened a new LEGO set. I just got the First Order Transport not sure why since it's pretty ugly looking ships probably because it's Star Wars and I want the new Stormtroopers. (I think most of the ship from Episode VII are all pretty terrible looking). Anyway, so is this something new that LEGO is doing by putting the manual in a seal plastic bag with part numbers and the manual for this one is one with binding like the UCS set (instead of the usual staple booklet).

y6y0ws3l.jpg

So it has been awhile since I got and opened a new LEGO set. I just got the First Order Transport not sure why since it's pretty ugly looking ships probably because it's Star Wars and I want the new Stormtroopers. (I think most of the ship from Episode VII are all pretty terrible looking). Anyway, so is this something new that LEGO is doing by putting the manual in a seal plastic bag with part numbers and the manual for this one is one with binding like the UCS set (instead of the usual staple booklet).

y6y0ws3l.jpg

You know why. Captain Phasma. I'm gonna wait for other sets to get the new Stormtroopers. I'll grab this set only if on a great sale.

You know why. Captain Phasma. I'm gonna wait for other sets to get the new Stormtroopers. I'll grab this set only if on a great sale.

Hmm.. that could be it but I think it's mostly the Stormtroopers I want and well it's Star Wars and only thing that price high enough for me to get the freebie set. I agree with you, I got it because of the 15% off (which is not great but good) and $20.00 (way overprices) mini-bakery from TRU.

I finish half of the ship but it's pretty boring so far. Even my daughter who love to snug in and finish building my LEGO that I have lying around show no interest what so ever in this set.

Any news on 2016 Marvel sets? Is 2016 the year when we get a Cap minifigure with a proper helmet? Oh and a Thanos Big fig? A man can dream.

Lego issued a press release officially declaring that Cosmic Marvel is best Marvel and announced that 2016's releases would consist entirely of an Annihilation themed series of sets, including a brickbuilt Galactus.

And then I woke up.

No I didn't actually dream this but cosmic marvel is best marvel.

Koren

Probably a couple dozen years more, and Rebellion still hasn't won nor lossed, and the Empire is still building those giant spherical weapons that barely manage to fire a shot before being blown up?

Ponn

Banned
Lego issued a press release officially declaring that Cosmic Marvel is best Marvel and announced that 2016's releases would consist entirely of an Annihilation themed series of sets, including a brickbuilt Galactus.

And then I woke up.

No I didn't actually dream this but cosmic marvel is best marvel.

I hate you for crushing my dreams. I'm going to cry in my Annihlus pillow now.

Rootbeer

Banned
Upcoming book:

LEGO Star Wars: Chronicles of the Force (May 3, 2016)

Thanks, ordered (along with a new ninjago and dc superhoeroes lego book on amazon)

Chronicles of the Force DOES have an exclusive minifigure bundled with it, confirmed in the description.

It's always good to pre-order these books because the price jumps around a lot. I've gotten most of them near 50% off due to amazon dropping the price really low. That pre-order price guarantee!

ghostmind

Thanks, ordered (along with a new ninjago and dc superhoeroes lego book on amazon)

Chronicles of the Force DOES have an exclusive minifigure bundled with it, confirmed in the description.

It's always good to pre-order these books because the price jumps around a lot. I've gotten most of them near 50% off due to amazon dropping the price really low. That pre-order price guarantee!

Apparently the minifig for the DC Encyclopedia is Buccaneer Batman.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I don't see Mark Hamill anywhere on that poster... So, he's not really a major character in this anymore or what? Thought he was supposed to be this badass mentor type of guy now....

Who knows, he might be the real bad guy. Can't spoil that on a poster.

Isn't there a rumour floating around about a new death star in 2016? Would be the perfect set to launch 05/04.

Experien

I don't see Mark Hamill anywhere on that poster... So, he's not really a major character in this anymore or what? Thought he was supposed to be this badass mentor type of guy now....

It is JJ Abrams, he is just trying to like remake the original trilogy in one movie. Some where along the line they will tell Finn that he needs to go see an ancient master and it is really Luke (may or may not gone crazy like Yoda).

I wouldn't be surprised if they make a lame pseudo-death scene for Luke at the beginning like a flash back to make it be "twist" or "surprise."

I haven't bought any of thew new Star Wars sets, only the popsicle speeder or the meh land battleship looks not too bad but I'm not digging the FO troopers.

Just got back from vacation, and my LEGO order was waiting for me. Toy Shop, which will be built in a few weeks, as well as remote and IR receiver for power functions.

I was all excited about the remote and wanted to test it, only to discover it uses AAA batteries and not AA. Ugh. I need to go buy some AAA this week then.

Looks like UCS Sandcrawler is now crossed off my list. I wasn't going to get the Sandcrawler for the Jawas only, but a cheaper way to get them just made it easier to take Sandcrawler off my to get list.

Droid Escape Pod (75136)
Recreate epic scenes from Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope with this LEGO Droid

Includes 3 minifigures: C-3PO and 2 Jawas, plus an R2-D2 Astromech Droid.
- See more at: http://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-star-wars-2016-set-descriptions/#sthash.8EOXFPjI.dpuf

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
I couldn't wait until Black Friday (and I didn't really want to spend another $99 to get it), so I Bricklinked all the parts for the promotional Gingerbread House. Such an amazing little set. I'm still waiting on two pieces (a pair of orange 2x2 round tiles for the roof), but I couldn't wait to put the rest together.

2U4QhJB.jpg

I also snagged all of the current Bricktober sets. My micro town is shaping up quite nicely.

9G6CBi0.jpg

FVAxXls.jpg

VWDyuGr.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom