• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Not as much of a fan of the new Ninjago wave as I was of the last wave, but it's still Ninjago and I still like it. I'm just not a huge fan of vehicles in general, so that's my main issue with it. Besides that fact, the sets seem really neat. I'm definitely in for the temple set. I'm very likely in for the blimp ship and the small dragon. I'm maybe in for the bigger dragon. I'll have to see some reviews on the bigger dragon, because at the moment I'm not too crazy about it.

Ninjago 2016 1H (missing 70601 Sky Shark):

I'm in the boat that the Ninjago pirate wave isn't a good as the current Ninjago ghost wave. The pirate wave is decent, it just has the bad luck of following the awesome ghost wave.
It's interesting that that new sword hilt with the skull has a skull. That make that mould a lot less resuable. It's not very LEGO-like.

This doesn't display as nice imo. If they do a closes version, I hope they make it fold open like the Firehouse HQ. Would work.

Oh, I would expect the outershell to be able to remove completely for displaying as a playset and easily put back on.

Kipp

But what if it were ghost pirates in the Ninjago theme?

Nah. Not as cool as ghost ninjas.

Yeah, not as cool, but I would certainly welcome having both. Because you know what that means.
Ghost Pirates versus Ghost Ninjas.
And that concept is definitely cooler than just ghost ninjas alone.

TheFuzz

Heads up, the new Superhero 2016 sets are out. At the Atlantic Station Target in Atlanta they had the Kryptonite Interception (new batmobile) and Iron Skull Submarine sets. Both are scanning at 29.99. Not bad for 300+ piece licensed sets.

ghostmind

Traditionally the 1H waves contain smaller sets than the 2H, so in comparing the 1H 2016 Ninjago wave to its 1H 2015 counterpart, I'm finding more to my liking in 2016. Looking forward to seeing the 2H sets at ToyFair.

Kipp

Traditionally the 1H waves contain smaller sets than the 2H, so in comparing the 1H 2016 Ninjago wave to its 1H 2015 counterpart, I'm finding more to my liking in 2016. Looking forward to seeing the 2H sets at ToyFair.

Ah! Very good to know! In that case, I'm very excited for 2H and quite pleased with the smaller sets in 1H.

But ghost ninjas! Which were absent in early 2015.

Ghost Pirates in 2H confirmed?

ghostmind

Speaking of the second half sets, early word is that CITY will see a Park/Playground set with 10 minifigs, and that a subtheme will be Volcano Research/Rescue.

wetwired

If you are planning on zooming in so close that a minifig head fills the frame at an incredible quality, then macro is probably for you. For most vignette and MOC photos I don't think you need a macro lens. Here's two photos by Peter Reid (Exo-Suit).

Not all people posting on flickr have the lens info in the EXIF. Luckily Peter's photos have EXIF info so you can compare. He uses a Canon, but you can still get an idea of lenses he uses for the type of shot.

CANON MACRO LENS (EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM)
Pilot by Peter Reid, on Flickr

CANON WIDE ANGLE LENS (EF16-35mm 2.8L II USM)
Space lineup by Peter Reid, on Flickr

Someone else I found that had Lens info in EXIF

NIKON AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
Captain Goldie Blackheart by Jen Spencer, on Flickr

NIKON AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
Teaser for upcoming Coffee Shop build by Jen Spencer, on Flickr

EDIT: You'll find lighting is a huge factor too.

I used to use my wife's 60D cannon for most of my photography, I found it hard to get in close to anything without getting extreme DOF. Now I just use my phone (Nexus 5), I just make sure I have plenty of light. Probably not as great as a DLSR but pretty good I reckon

X4.jpg

x-filesE.jpg

Ponn

Banned
In regards to the Wall-E fix I do indeed have a mysterious new order in process on my Lego S@H account. So it seems we are getting a proper neck fix pack, yeehaw!

As far as the new wave of Ninjago, yeaaaa...back to not feeling Ninjago. I've never been a fan of the whole Ninjas vs. Pirates thing and the builds seems like, I don't know, junky. There are some pieces I would like, that google head piece on sensei wu and the monkey but the sets just aren't doing it for me like the recent ghost wave. That blimp/airship is a cool idea but that is such a small build compared to what I would want. If they made an entire line of steampunk air ships and this was like one of the smaller sets I would be there for that.

ruxtpin

Banned
On the topic of Wall-E, I just purchased from my local store. I take it the fix hasn't been rolled out so I'll need to request the new pieces via Lego.com?

ghostmind

n04wBBe.jpg

2015 was an unusual year for me. I started the year with a new direction - focussing only on collecting the Star Wars theme, but by the year's end I had returned to a theme that heralded my return from my "Dark Ages" years ago. One thing is for certain - 2015 was a banner year for LEGO. The sheer volume of high quality creative sets made composing this list a more difficult task than usual, but still an enjoyable one, full of great moments of set reveals and amazing builds.

m7aoFnE.jpg

MVKk6vr.jpg

10. 70817 Batman & Super Angry Kitty Attack

Proving that bigger is not always better, this small set packs a lot of quality into a $10 price point. One of the best Batman minifigs, an exclusive Angry Kitty, a Skeletron and a Micro Manager adds up to a lot of value and personality in something cheaper than a Star Wars Battlepack.

eGaHW42.jpg

9. 60095 Deep Sea Exploration Vessel

I've been pretty harsh towards the CITY theme in recent years, but with the constant churn of Police-Fire-Police-Fire I think it is justified. What CITY does right however, is its annual subthemes. This year LEGO went with something dear to my heart, and that is a return to the undersea explorers/divers sets. The Deep Sea Exploration Vessel is the centerpiece of this subtheme, and is a treasure trove with 4 sharks, an octopus, an awesome shipwreck, and a very unique boat with a brand-new hull. Building this set just felt good to my soul.

c0Ekm6p.jpg

8. 76031 The Hulk Buster Smash

One of the smaller Avengers: AoU sets, this one wins on both value and what ended up being an unexpectedly awesome mech/suit for Iron Man. This set delivers a lot, with three minifigs, a bigfig, and the aforementioned Hulk Buster armor. Surprisingly, the armor itself steals the show with its smart design and spectacular poseability. Another example that a good design will beat out parts count.

NUmEerg.jpg

7. 70736 Attack of the Morro Dragon

As an original Ninjago fan, its been fun watching LEGO-GAF gravitate towards this theme in the second half of 2015. With good reason however, as 2015 has been a banner year for Ninjago (arguably the second best in the franchise history), primarily due to the strength of the "Ghost Army" wave (and one other set I'll get to later). This set brings us back to the classic Ninjago dragons, but with a more brick-built focus, and some amazing shapes and colors. This is the set to get from this wave.

uPL9KoN.jpg

6. 75102 Poe's X-Wing Fighter

Picking Star Wars sets for the list is always a tricky thing for me, due to my affection for the theme. I could easily fill this entire list with Star Wars, and I almost did, until my resolve weakened part-way through the year. With The Force Awakens just days away, I'm putting Poe's X-Wing on here because I think its the strongest entry so far for TFA. LEGO's made some pretty sweet X-Wing's in the past, and Poe's Halloween-colored version refines it further, making for an iconic set. The one downside here is that a lot of buyers got a malformed cockpit part, but LEGO's customer service has been great (as usual) about that. Fortunately for me, my copy did not suffer this issue.

m2J4Gia.jpg

5. 70173 Ultra Agents Ocean HQ

Ah Ultra Agents - you will be missed. One of the sticking points in making this list was deciding whether this set, or the UltraCopter, would be represented. The Ocean HQ wins out, from a strong lineup throughout, because of its uniqueness, its amazing look, that awesome translucent bridge, an a great advanced build experience. With tons of hidden panels, this boat is full of surprises, and is armed to the gills.

12xOETs.jpg

4. 71016 Kwik-E-Mart

Who needs the Kwik-E-Mart? I doooo! Marcos Bessa does it again with this iconic Simpsons location, which is dripping (ew) with details. It's obvious that the LEGO designers are fan of the series, as it shows with all the little references to various episodes of the show. This set is also full of smartly-designed mini-builds, and as many prints as stickers. The Kwik-E-Mart eclipses the Simpsons House as the best LEGO Simpsons set so far.

Y3uef5M.jpg

3. 75060 UCS Slave I

Year-after-year, the Star Wars UCS line brings some of the best LEGO has to offer, and 2015 sees a particularly strong entry with the UCS Slave I. This ship has always been one of my favorites of the Star Wars trilogy, and this UCS version does it justice with its size and level of detail. An amazing model, which will stay built in my collection for years to come.

vJd8ufx.jpg

2. 10246 Detective's Office

A Jamie Berard designed modular building near the top of my list should be a shock to nobody. What is worth noting is that the Detective's Office (and Barber Shop) shows that the modular return-to-form that happened last year with the Parisian Restaurant was not a "one-off", with this modular continuining the high-detail era of modular buildings. I loved building this set - the many details, multiple colors, and contrasting design add up to a great experience that I would recommend to any AFOL.

Z2QRUOV.jpg

1. 70751 Temple of Airjtizu

A set has to be something special to knock off the newest modular from the top spot in my list, and the Temple of Airjitzu is one of those rare sets (like the Haunted House), which comes out of knowhere and takes over. First, and foremost, the Temple was FUN to build - I caught myself smiling on several occassions while putting this together - it never got monotonous, and it kept me wanting to keep building to the end. This set includes a great minifigure assortment, especially for fans of the TV show, with a new minifigure for Dareth, and the first minifigs for Misako and the Postman. This set is a great build, a great display model, a great playset, and the best that modern LEGO has to offer.

MIt9P9w.jpg

LtIs3YH.jpg

GG2yttI.jpg

CXQEC96.jpg

hQc6ImI.jpg

ODbXzrg.jpg

Az9BGGC.jpg

hS16psA.jpg

nyCl21R.png

"The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated". For a theme that was to be retired a couple years ago, Ninjago has seen a remarkable resurgence to prominence, and the second half of 2015 saw the strongest lineup in the theme since its inception. With the movie coming in 2017, I'm expecting that this theme will continue to deliver strong entries for years to come.

9HM2wnA.jpg

MRs8TcH.png

30320 Gallimimus Trap
Although I found the polybag entries for 2015 to be weaker than the previous year, there were still some highlights, such as the Gallimimus, which was free with preorders of the Jurassic World game. LEGO dinosaurs never come cheap, so to get one for "free" was a big deal.

PDPYBop.jpg

ucf1knl.png

71010 Skeleton Guy
I've changed this category a bit, to keep the focus more on the fabulous CMF series'. This year's top CMF goes to one of the least-flashy, but very classic-feeling Halloween minifigs.

"Study the past if you would define the future."
My Top Sets of 2014
My Top Sets of 2013
My Top Sets of 2012

Kipp

Speaking of the second half sets, early word is that CITY will see a Park/Playground set with 10 minifigs, and that a subtheme will be Volcano Research/Rescue.

Omg yes. Both of those things sound awesome.
Excellent choice for your #1 set on your top 10 list, by the way! Temple of Airjitzu is so brilliant in every way.

I used to use my wife's 60D cannon for most of my photography, I found it hard to get in close to anything without getting extreme DOF.

If you have a tripod and/or excellent lighting, you can do close-ups without extreme DOF. Basically you just have to be able to have a really small aperture (AKA f/11.0) which means a really slow shutter speed unless you have really bright lights.

Jimbro72

Good to see the Deep Sea Exploration ship get a nod. I've got that one coming in the next week as part of my large semi annual haul through my relative.

Fishlake

I have been trying really hard to identify my first ever Lego set as I organize.

I've finally identified it as 6453-1: Com-Link Cruiser.
6453-1.jpg

I was so fascinated by the idea of building something and having it function and that began my Lego life.

However the idea of space sets never settled in and I only have 2 space sets to this day.

TheFuzz

The "Kryptonite Interception" batmobile is a FANTASTIC build. It rivals the Hulkbuster as far as $30 or less builds go. I would advise anyone on the fence to grab it, the cockpit and overall build is fantastic.

TheFuzz

My Top 3 for 2015:

vJd8ufx.jpg

Detectives Office- a Jamie modular. It was destined to be #1. A Lego pool hall was a dream come true.

76035-1.jpg

Jokerland- the single best Superhero set that's not Bessa's Arkham Asylum. Great building techniques, great minifigures, and faithful to the various source materials. I feel its overshadowed by Bessa's quinjet but this is my favorite superhero set of 2015.

c0Ekm6p.jpg

Hulkbuster- It's already been said. $30. Great build, figures, and value.

A lot of my budget was catching up on my modular collection, but the 2015 sets I DID build were great.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Glad to see some love for this fantastic set. For a cheap price, it has outstanding play value.

Pirates was my favorite theme as a kid, might get one of these just because, before they disappear :)

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Seeing all these best of lists is just reminding me how much I missed out on! Shall try and attempt a list in the next few days.

Is it worth collecting them all for the next OT mayhaps? Lot of good examples of great recent sets.

Reposting my best of 2015 blog:

2015 was a great year for Lego, again. Looking at the entire lineup, there is far more greatness than anyone can really afford. This year alone, we got the gigantic SHIELD Helicarrier from the Marvel movies, the Ultimate Collector Series Slave One for Star Wars fans, a great Ferrari F40 model, a charming Kwik-E-Mart from The Simpsons and the imposing Ferris Wheel, as well as the regular modular house and a couple of 1500+ parts sets in the most popular themes: City, Friends, Star Wars and Ninjago, including the amazing Temple of Airjitzu. This year also saw an avalanche of Minecraft sets, the first The Force Awakens ships and a few brilliant Lego Ideas sets. We also got extensions of the Friends minidoll idea with both Disney Princess and Elves. Obviously I had to pass on several sets that would have been cool, but these are the best of what I got.

First, some honourable mentions:

Ferris Wheel
It’s huge and imposing and impressive and houses tons of figures. I’m not really in love with it though. Maybe because I was ill while building it so I didn’t have a great experience. Maybe because it doesn’t really fit in my city and I haven’t decided what to do with it.

Heartlake Hair Salon
Great design, great colours and a neat build.

LaFerrari
The Speed Champions line offered lots of great cars. While Ferrari got the huge F40 set, this small minifigure scaled car was the best looking. This one even got my father and uncle to sit down to build Lego one evening, which is an achievement in itself.

Millennium Falcon
Nostalgia overload for those of us who missed out on the last one.

The Elves’ Treetop Hideaway
Tons of great parts and a really charming little set. Big source of dark red and sand green uncommon stuff, as well as the new plants parts.

Let’s also look at the five best minifigures or minidolls of the year:

lego_minifigs_best_of_2015.jpg

The figure in itself is great, but the main thing about this is how ridiculous it is that we actually got a real Chell (Lego Dimensions Level Pack: Portal 2) figure. If you consider the Companion Cube an accessory to this, it wins easily, and it’s worth buying even outside the game.

Captain Phasma is the coolest thing about The Force Awakens even though we don’t know what she’ll actually do. A silver Stormtrooper with a cape is automatically cool. Shame that you have to buy the incredibly dull First Order Transporter to get her, but I’m assuming that we’ll get a more affordable option next year.

There were many cool monsters in the Collectible Minifigures Series 14, but I liked the crying Banshee the most. Maybe because I like sand green, but it was a very unique figure and the ghost parts don’t hurt.

Naida and Aira, both available in a single set (Naida’s Epic Adventure Ship), are some of the best minifigures/dolls this year. Lovely new hair molds and fantastic prints make these completely exquisite.

And finally, let’s look at the five best sets I got this year:

5) Heartlake Grand Hotel
A lovely playset with lots of great detailing make this almost half a modular – buy two and make one! The flagship of the 2015 Friends line, this is both very playable and introduces tons of new parts for builders.

4) Double-Decker Couch
While it’s really nothing new, you can’t beat this set for value. A great, affordable way to get Benny and a cute variant of Unikitty, and who doesn’t need a double-decker couch?

3) Wall-E
The annoying neck problem bumped this down a notch or two, but this is still a great set with tons and tons of personality. You don’t get much more model accurate than this using standard Lego.

2) Naida’s Epic Adventure Ship
The surprise of the year. While I liked the overall look of the sets, I bought this mainly to get the figures and maybe use the rest for parts. But the ship was a really great build, it looks awesome and it’s perfect as a display for the Elves characters since I’ve torn down all the other sets for parts.

1) Detective’s Office
There was no completely outstanding set in 2015 like Parisian Restaurant or Ecto-1, so I guess the resident modular wins by default. While some complained about the size and different aesthetic, I found the set a very enjoyable build with some awesome techniques, many cool parts and lots of charm.

Ponn

Banned
For anyone interested it looks like Cartoon Network is doing a Lego day today. They are showing all of this past season Ninjago, the Scooby Doo special, all the Lego Batman/JL movies and then lastly the first two episodes of Nexo Knights tonight.

Kipp

Almost finished building the Constitution Train Chase and I'm absolutely loving it! I thought the minigun made out of four binoculars was pretty brilliant in particular. Overall it's just a fantastic looking set though. There hasn't been one Lone Ranger set I haven't loved yet. I really, really hope Lego brings back the Western theme. It's too good.

Maengun1

I'm only 25% into building the Pet Shop, which is the first modular I've ever gotten, but already finding myself super impressed with the various details.

OM2dAFw.jpg

The spiral staircase inside, the way the round base under the bay window connects to the building, the detailing with the snowshoes over the door, the way the railings connect to both the wall and the sidewalk, the way the single little claw piece both holds up the hat rack inside and is the doorbell....etc. etc. These are all instances where I had to look back and forth at the booklet 2 or 3 times to figure out exactly what was going on, and then when I see it put together it's a "ohhhhh....that's so cool" moment.

Also the cellar is great.

TheFuzz

I'm only 25% into building the Pet Shop, which is the first modular I've ever gotten, but already finding myself super impressed with the various details.

OM2dAFw.jpg

The spiral staircase inside, the way the round base under the bay window connects to the building, the detailing with the snowshoes over the door, the way the railings connect to both the wall and the sidewalk, the way the single little claw piece both holds up the hat rack inside and is the doorbell....etc. etc. These are all instances where I had to look back and forth at the booklet 2 or 3 times to figure out exactly what was going on, and then when I see it put together it's a "ohhhhh....that's so cool" moment.

Wait until you get to the second floor's "ah-hah" moment. I love posts like this, they remind me of how my wife and I were when we started building the modulars. We also started with the Pet Shop. Since then we've bought five more and the magic never ends. My "Christmas" is January 1 when the Bank comes out. I can't wait.

Wait until you get to the second floor's "ah-hah" moment. I love posts like this, they remind me of how my wife and I were when we started building the modulars. We also started with the Pet Shop. Since then we've bought five more and the magic never ends. My "Christmas" is January 1 when the Bank comes out. I can't wait.

I expect Brick Bank to be the same. It's Jamie after all. GB HQ will probably have a bunch of great nostalgic nods, but I don't see it being such a clever build. Still haven't decided which one to do first.

Maybe I'll skip them both and do something from Nexo Knights first :D

TRU is running a sale on quite a few LEGO right now. Ninja Turtles, Chima, Ultra Agents, LEGO Movie, and Pirates themes all appear to be 30% off until Dec 19th.

http://www.toysrus.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=11386391

Time to get the copter and portal hideout then.

OM2dAFw.jpg

Wait til you get to the mostly empty floor. There is one tiny detail in it that is one of my favorite "oooooh" moments when building. Something so simple but so cool.
Nothing is calling to me, except some Ultra Agentd stuff. Really want to pull the trigger on the Ocean HQ.
Do it. You know you want to. Hey, top 10 from both Ghostmind and myself. Have we ever steered you wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom