• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFuzz

Guys, I have been seduced by the dark side.

There's a 20% off Toys R Us coupon floating around on Brickset that works on Lego.

I just walked out of Toys R Us with Poe's X-Wing and a free Hulk polybag for $72.

I'm excited. Last x-wing I built was the OG 1999 model, and I hear they've come a long way. TFA HYPE.

Rootbeer

Banned
WHAT that coupon works on LEGO? incredible.

You're making me want to go now!

Did it work without you asking them to override it or anything? It's super rare not to encounter something in their system that tries to block any kind of discount on LEGO

TheFuzz

WHAT that coupon works on LEGO? incredible.

You're making me want to go now!

Did it work without you asking them to override it or anything? It's super rare not to encounter something in their system that tries to block any kind of discount on LEGO

I showed them the coupon on my phone, they scanned it with no questions asked. I intend on going back.

Syriel

This isn't exactly a physical LEGO brick, but it might be of interest to those who appreciate the games as much as the toys.

Autographed LEGO Marvel's Avengers Card Giveaway

CV96eCVU8AAmuU6.jpg

It's the same card that WB was giving away in its booth, except these have all been signed by the game director.

Fowler

Do it!

Then hide it in your secret LEGO closet.

Your wife doesn't know about the SLC. It's underneath the staircase to the basement...a staircase she descends on a regular basis but never thinks to investigate. Clever misdirection (errant socks leading away from the closet), off-the-cuff comments about that area of the house "...saw another house centipede down stairs-man those things are fast!" coupled with a strong will should ensure you remain strong for another day.

Protip: Leave the Best Star in the cardboard box. In the nightmare scenario that your wife (partner, etc.) discovers the treasure trove they will only stumble upon a mishmash of unrelated sets you got at steep discounts. These items are nothing to worry the family about. There is certainly no Best Star to be found.

I'm 12 months in and I have no idea when I'll have the stones to build it.

My secret LEGO closet is... behind the door of my man cave.

You can't fit much back there -- right now only Poe's X-Wing is there -- but my wife-to-be is never in there with the door shut, so... she never sees it.

^^ Benny likes everything though...

So i just watched Jurassic World (yes super LTTP i know) and... how come there is a Lego Dilophosaurus in a set when there wasn't even one IN the movie?? (not counting the hologram)

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Loving my Lone Ranger sets so far! I just finished building Colby City Showdown and I really love it as a display piece. It's got such a sweet Western look. I'm really excited to have it displayed alongside the stagecoach and Silver Mine Shootout.
Now it's time to build the Constitution Train Chase! I'm so so so excited for it. I love trains and it's my first ever Lego train.

Loving my Lone Ranger sets so far! I just finished building Colby City Showdown and I really love it as a display piece. It's got such a sweet Western look. I'm really excited to have it displayed alongside the stagecoach and Silver Mine Shootout.
Now it's time to build the Constitution Train Chase! I'm so so so excited for it. I love trains and it's my first ever Lego train.
The train is cool. But Silver Mine still remains the king of that line.

Ponn

Banned
czW2La7.jpg

So what will come first, Assault on Hoth or UCS Death Star 2.0?

I'm starting to think Hoth was just a ruse. Or a mistake someone made from seeing something in regards to that smaller Hoth set.

Regardless i'm definitely ok not rushing this weekend to get a Death Star. Hopefully the new one will be more up my alley.

^^ Benny likes everything though...

So i just watched Jurassic World (yes super LTTP i know) and... how come there is a Lego Dilophosaurus in a set when there wasn't even one IN the movie?? (not counting the hologram)

The reason I was told was it was their "throwback" set, the jeep and the Dilophosaurus were supposed to represent Jurassic Park since the rest of the theme was Jurassic World.

Which is total bullshit because if that was the case they should have done the jeep and a new color of the Triceratops mould. Trikes are actually in both movies so it would make a hell of a lot more sense, thematically and financially, than a brand new mould for the Dilophosaurus. Plus it would have given people a "good" dinosaur too - all they made this time are "bad" dinos.

If they [bootlegger companies] use the designs from the games to make new moulds (like they've done with a lot of the super hero stuff) oh my god, I would buy so many of them. That isn't even all of them in that link, either.

Parasaurolophus!!

We got boned on the Jurassic World stuff. They could have done so much more than just reuse old moulds with new colors, or even just a single wave.

TheFuzz

Having second thoughts on my X-Wing purchase (only because it's another theme i can't really focus on)... But can anyone who has built the new Quinjet Chase set compare it with Poe's X-Wing? I know the end result, but which one has a more "fun" build?

ghostmind

If they [bootlegger companies] use the designs from the games to make new moulds (like they've done with a lot of the super hero stuff) oh my god, I would buy so many of them. That isn't even all of them in that link, either.

Parasaurolophus!!

We got boned on the Jurassic World stuff. They could have done so much more than just reuse old moulds with new colors, or even just a single wave.

I'm hoping that now that JW has established itself as a huge hit, and is spawning two sequels, that more funding will be put towards the next movie's sets.

My wife got a sweet bonus for Christmas, so we went and got a Nikon D3300 and accessories with the money. Obviously, I am wanting to get a macro lens to go with it to take some great LEGO pictures finally.

Anyone have any suggestions on lenses for this purpose?

Kipp

Since you guys are pretty much all way into Lego dino figs, what did you all think of this Dinosaurs theme? I remember getting a handful of them and not really thinking they were all too amazing.

My wife got a sweet bonus for Christmas, so we went and got a Nikon D3300 and accessories with the money. Obviously, I am wanting to get a macro lens to go with it to take some great LEGO pictures finally.

I'm not too familiar with Nikon's lens lineup, but I do have a bit of advice for you. I might suggest buying one of those macro filters instead of a dedicated macro lens. They do quite a good job of allowing your normal lens to take macro shots. It's obviously not going to be as high quality as a dedicated macro lens, but I personally believe it's the best way to go.
The reason I say this is because I had a macro lens at one point. It was Canon's 60mm f/2.8 ($500ish). It was a ton of fun at first, but it does lose its novelty pretty quickly. And it really only did macro well. It could function as a normal 60mm lens, but it really wasn't ideal; it was only great at macro. I ended up selling it after owning it for a year or so and I honestly haven't missed it one bit.
"Worst" case scenario, you could buy one of those macro filters on the cheap, and then if you get way into macro photography, you could upgrade to a dedicated macro lens.
That's my advice, at least.

Also, this is my all-time favorite tool for comparing lens quality.

Ponn

Banned

I'm still partial to the potato lens but thats just me *shrugs*

I'll send them an email.

Hey purveyor of chinese imports, have you seen those new Spider-Man crystal figs anywhere? I saw a review for them and they look really, really good but I can't find them available in the usual places.

Also I was working on my winter scene again tonight, specifically making santa's sleigh bigger and adding reindeer, and I was thinking a seasonal level pack for Dimensions would be pretty awesome. Maybe not a level but a seasonal hub world with a couple team packs like Santa and the Easter Bunny and something Halloween and, I don't know a Leprechaun? Whatever but you get the idea.

marq_roq

Neo Member
Trying to decide between a combo of the ferris/mixer or the sandcrawler. When's the next double vip historically? In February? Think all 3 sets will be around then?

If you are planning on zooming in so close that a minifig head fills the frame at an incredible quality, then macro is probably for you. For most vignette and MOC photos I don't think you need a macro lens. Here's two photos by Peter Reid (Exo-Suit).

Not all people posting on flickr have the lens info in the EXIF. Luckily Peter's photos have EXIF info so you can compare. He uses a Canon, but you can still get an idea of lenses he uses for the type of shot.

CANON MACRO LENS (EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM)
Pilot by Peter Reid, on Flickr

CANON WIDE ANGLE LENS (EF16-35mm 2.8L II USM)
Space lineup by Peter Reid, on Flickr

Someone else I found that had Lens info in EXIF

NIKON AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
Captain Goldie Blackheart by Jen Spencer, on Flickr

NIKON AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
Teaser for upcoming Coffee Shop build by Jen Spencer, on Flickr

EDIT: You'll find lighting is a huge factor too.

Lighting is actually the BIGGEST factor as far as i am concerned... i was able to consistently pump out GREAT shots with a super crappy cheap camera years ago only by getting the light sources right, while nowadays i am having trouble with my more expensive cam because the light isn't all that great in our new place :(

Anyway, i just finished Wu's Dragon and... he is in no way inferior to Morro imo. He IS a bit smaller, not that much even, and looks less menacing but he makes up for it with sheer beauty and wisdom :p Oh, and dat HEADBUILD is actually leagues ahead of Morro. So much character (gotta love those white croissants etc.)

Crazy. I bought my wife the Nikon 3200 for xmas this year along with every accessory known to man. She'll have macro, micro, wide angle, fish eye, telephoto, and several others.

I got the camera body itself and 2 lenses for $175 thanks to a pricing error at a local Best Buy a few weeks before Black Friday. Since I got a steal on the body, I went crazy on accessories. Tripod, strap, holster, gear case, light, 64GB card, a ton of filters, you name it. She's getting yet another full time hobby on xmas, lol! Of course, this means I'll have access to all this too ;)

Kipp

Lighting is actually the BIGGEST factor as far as i am concerned... i was able to consistently pump out GREAT shots with a super crappy cheap camera years ago only by getting the light sources right, while nowadays i am having trouble with my more expensive cam because the light isn't all that great in our new place :(

Anyway, i just finished Wu's Dragon and... he is in no way inferior to Morro imo. He IS a bit smaller, not that much even, and looks less menacing but he makes up for it with sheer beauty and wisdom :p Oh, and dat HEADBUILD is actually leagues ahead of Morro. So much character (gotta love those white croissants etc.)

Yeah, lighting is definitely the biggest factor when it comes to taking quality photos.
Just to clarify though, better lighting won't allow you to take closer-up/more macro photos. Each lens has a specified minimum focusing distance.

And yes! I'm so glad someone else agrees with me on Wu's Dragon! When I was asking which one I should build first, everybody was talking about Wu's Dragon like it was just an inferior Morro Dragon, but after building both I came to the exact same conclusion you did! Amazing build. And at almost half the price of Morro Dragon, I'd almost recommend it even more highly than Morro Dragon.

willp2003

Just had an email from Lego saying they are shipping me the parts for the Wall-E fix. I emailed them when it first came out and never heard anything back, or even got an acknowledgement. Nice little surprise!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Possibly old, but got this today

Hi there,

Great news! We’ve been looking into how we can improve our LEGO® Ideas 21303 WALL·E set and we have an update for you.

For those fans who feel LEGO WALL·E’s head moves a bit too freely, our designers have created an alternative build for the robot’s neck. In case you’d like to try out this alternative design, we’ve mailed you a small set of extra bricks and instructions free of charge. These should arrive within 10 working days.

If you’ve already built your LEGO WALL·E and you want to try this new design, simply follow the instructions and use the new bricks to rebuild the robot’s neck. Of course, if you’re happy with your robot as he is, you can just add these bricks to your LEGO collection.

Kind regards,

I had previously contacted Lego by email to ask about a fix

Ponn

Banned
Just had an email from Lego saying they are shipping me the parts for the Wall-E fix. I emailed them when it first came out and never heard anything back, or even got an acknowledgement. Nice little surprise!

Dont get your hopes up. A couple of us have already received the parts ang they are not the ball joint fix. They are for the first fix.

edit: The parts I received

teeny

Found the Resistance X-Wing and First Order Snowspeeder series 3 microfighters in my local ASDA Living today. They also had the two Force Awakens battle packs available!

The Snowspeeder is not much of a looker, but the build was quite fun. However, there was something really off with the X-Wing. The proportions seemed off, like the wings were too long compared to the body. Also, the wings did not really sit right in the closed position. Both minifigures were cool though. Apart from the promotional threepio, these are my first Force Awakens figures. I really liked the pilot's helmet and physical visor and the printing was really good. The Snowtrooper had a nice 1x1 printed tile stuck to his back too. Nice details.

secret rob

Neo Member
Dont get your hopes up. A couple of us have already received the parts ang they are not the ball joint fix. They are for the first fix.

edit: The parts I received

I also received the email and have received the same parts fix you have. It sounds like it might be a fix for the rotation as the first email was worded differently.

We’ve found that two pieces in the neck don’t have the right amount of clutch power. The combination of these pieces is causing WALL·E’s head to fall down instead of staying where it should. I’ll be sending you new pieces that will work better.

Ponn

Banned
I also received the email and have received the same parts fix you have. It sounds like it might be a fix for the rotation as the first email was worded differently.

Yeah, I was kind of hoping since these recent emails people are talking about seem to be proactive that maybe they are going to send out a second pack. Not going to hold my breath though. I might shoot them another email.

ericb!

Neo Member
I also received an email from LEGO today stating they have sent additonal parts related to WALL•E's head moving too freely. I first noticed that an odd order appeared in my S@H account today for item 6162839.

A post by The_Grate descirbes the item in more detail:
https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/1-blog/post/48

"The part number is 6162839 and the thing is called "Rework bag, 21303". What you get is a small clear bag with 12 LEGO pieces, a booklet containing instruction replacements for some of the steps in the original building instructions, and a sheet with instructions on how to replace the neck build on an already finished WALL•E."

Rootbeer

Banned
Finally LEGO is bring back the classic monkey mold! It's a shame they didn't include any in the latest Pirates theme.

Some really cool sets there!

Some cool stuff in Ninjago for sure. They're literally using the pirates from the last theme as sky pirates here. It's a shame that Nya seems to be stuck with the horrible colour scheme though.

Yeah, that new Ninjago stuff has NOTHING on the current ghost wave as far as i am concerned... A couple nice elements like that brown balloon and maybe that double genie minifig or whatever but overall as far as sets are concerned i'll take Morro Dragon, Wu's Dragon and Destiny's Bounty anyday over these...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom