• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about Japanese Dramas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mik2121

While kinda old series, my wife and me just started watching 白夜行 (byakuyako). It's nice, while a bit dark and with some slightly annoying characters. The music is really great though.

Honestly though, my wife is the one that wanted to see it first and at first I didn't pay much attention to the first episode, but I ended up kinda hooked to it, lol. It's only like 11 episodes (or at least that's what's available in Hulu Japan) and we've seen 7 episodes already (one every night). The main girl is pretty darn cute (and it's impressive how she looks almost the same now as back 8 years ago when this drama started).

zeroshiki

While kinda old series, my wife and me just started watching 白夜行 (byakuyako). It's nice, while a bit dark and with some slightly annoying characters. The music is really great though.

Honestly though, my wife is the one that wanted to see it first and at first I didn't pay much attention to the first episode, but I ended up kinda hooked to it, lol. It's only like 11 episodes (or at least that's what's available in Hulu Japan) and we've seen 7 episodes already (one every night). The main girl is pretty darn cute (and it's impressive how she looks almost the same now as back 8 years ago when this drama started).

You should watch the movie version. I liked it better because it didn't have unnecessary stuff like Ryuuji doing odd jobs for Yukiho to protect their secret.

Mik2121

I might watch it, but later on. For now both actors are growing on me quite a bit so it'd feel weird to see other actors playing the same role.

Also my wife doesn't like watching movies as much as she likes dramas, so it might be hard to convince her when we actually know the story lol

Anyway, yeah, some of the stuff feels slightly filler, and the 'in the next episode' stuff is always so bullshit because they just put parts of conversations without context that make it sound like the next episode is going to be a huge story spin, but then it's not so bad..

Oh and yeah, the actress... at first I was like 'meh' but now even my wife is like 'she's so cute', lol

zeroshiki

If you like Ayase Haruka, you should probably watch Hotaru no Hikari since its probably her best role.

If you REALLY like the combination of Ayase Haruka and Yamada Takayuki, you could try Sekai no Chuushin de Ai wo Sakebu but be warned it is really heavy drama in the vein of 1 Litre of Tears with all the good and bad that come with that.

EDIT: You mentioning Hulu Japan made me look it up and wow, they have a ton of dorama. Too bad the only channel they have supporting them is TBS. If they got Fuji and NTV on board too, it'd be a gold mine.

Kurita

Watched the first episode of Shitsuren Chocolatier and... It was pretty cool. MatsuJun is likeable in this one.
Also, I was wrong, it's not the adapation of a shoujo but a josei so that explains the lewd things that can happen :lol

sasuke_91

I only really watched one dorama, which is 1 Litre of Tears. The name is fitting, in my opinion.
It was the most emotional series I have ever watched and I never found anything that could compare to it.

So I'm asking you: Is there any J-Drama out there that is sadder or just as sad as 1 Litre of Tears? Reccomendations would be much appreciated :)

Kurita

I only really watched one dorama, which is 1 Litre of Tears. The name is fitting, in my opinion.
It was the most emotional series I have ever watched and I never found anything that could compare to it.

So I'm asking you: Is there any J-Drama out there that is sadder or just as sad as 1 Litre of Tears? Reccomendations would be much appreciated :)

Haven't watched 1 Litre of Tears yet but try Freeter Ie wo Kau. Some of the scenes destroyed my heart.

Go_Ly_Dow

Yes. They exist.

Freeter and Woman.

Both must be watched!

sasuke_91

Haven't watched 1 Litre of Tears yet but try Freeter Ie wo Kau. Some of the scenes destroyed my heart.

You should definitely watch it. Sawajiri Erika's performance was terrific and the soundtrack is also really great.

Yes. They exist.

Freeter and Woman.

Both must be watched!

Mother is probably sadder than 1 Litre except that Mother isn't about dying.

Thanks, I'll definitely go and watch them. I hope I'm not too biased^^

Go_Ly_Dow

You should definitely watch it. Sawajiri Erika's performance was terrific and the soundtrack is also really great.

Thanks, I'll definitely go and watch them. I hope I'm not too biased^^

Will check it out too.

Also Mother and Woman are both made by the same set of staff.

Start with Mother and then move on to superior Woman :p

sasuke_91

M_Night is wrong.

Matsuyuki Tatsuko and Ashida Mana alone guarantee that Mother is the superior work.

Ashida Mana is absolutetely adorable! >o<
In which order should I watch your recommended dorama? Which one is the saddest? I think I'll begin with that one^^

Go_Ly_Dow

Zeroshiki successfully baited :p

Yeah Mana is a great actor, but Woman has so much more as a package! The camera/scene direction, soundtrack and the show in general is just filled with beautiful moments.

Both are amazing, but Woman definitely had more memorable scenes for me.

sasuke_91

So it's Mother -> Woman -> Freeter?
Or rather Freeter -> Mother -> Woman?

Oh, and I watched another J-Drama long ago, but I never finished it: One Pound Gospel
Kamenashi was really funny and he's definitely one of the better actors from Johnny's. But Kuroki Meisa was annoying as hell. I don't dislike her, but her facial expression throughout the whole series was disturbing...

Kurita

Shitsuren Chocolatier is so good, watched episode 4 yesterday. Haven't checked the other dramas of the season yet but I think this one will be my favorite.
And it actually makes me like MatsuJun (which was my least favorite Arashi member) more than before!

shas'la

Shitsuren Chocolatier is so good, watched episode 4 yesterday. Haven't checked the other dramas of the season yet but I think this one will be my favorite.
And it actually makes me like MatsuJun (which was my least favorite Arashi member) more than before!

I haven't had a show make me want to scoff my face so much since Hungry!

Aizo

Banned
I was watching Sekai Banzuke tonight, and I feel like I've this girl, but can't place the face.
hF7Dei1.jpg
Does anyone know who she is?

Nazo no tenkousei
Boku no Ita Jikan

Latest episodes were pretty good.
I started watching Boku like 2 weeks ago and caught up. I'm really liking it. At first, I kept comparing it to 1 litre of tears( not as good as litre) and then I finally stopped and just enjoying the ride. Some great scenes throughout the drama so far. Though I wished the soundtrack was stronger. The other thing that's bothering me is how the jpn subs are out of sync. Anyone using it:
-91 after 20 minutes
-181 (or is it -171?) next out of sync.
-281 (or is it -271?). final 16 minutes

Go_Ly_Dow

Saikou no Rikon Special is out!

What else is kicking on the jdrama scene? Finished the above, Woman and Legal High. Anything other must watches from recent years or airing now on that kinda level?

I started watching Boku like 2 weeks ago and caught up. I'm really liking it. At first, I kept comparing it to 1 litre of tears( not as good as litre) and then I finally stopped and just enjoying the ride. Some great scenes throughout the drama so far. Though I wished the soundtrack was stronger. The other thing that's bothering me is how the jpn subs are out of sync. Anyone using it:
-91 after 20 minutes
-181 (or is it -171?) next out of sync.
-281 (or is it -271?). final 16 minutes

I usually just watch the JPN/Chi hard subbed versions , because I also had timing problems with the JPN soft subs .

Akito

After reading through the GTO manga recently, I picked up the 1998 version of the drama and it's quite competent for a manga adaptation. I didn't know Oguri Shun had a role in this, I swear I can pick any drama randomly, new or old and he's in it. Just to be clear, I'm not complaining lol

zeroshiki

After reading through the GTO manga recently, I picked up the 1998 version of the drama and it's quite competent for a manga adaptation. I didn't know Oguri Shun had a role in this, I swear I can pick any drama randomly, new or old and he's in it. Just to be clear, I'm not complaining lol

He's also in the first Gokusen so he's probably the only guy who can say he has had a major role in 2 of the biggest teacher-doramas ever (not the biggest since that's Kinpachi-sensei). I remember watching an interview of his (with Ikuta Toma and Okada Masaki) where they were reminiscing about HanaKimi and he said that he almost turned it down because he was already in his 20's and didn't want to do another school drama.

Akito

He's also in the first Gokusen so he's probably the only guy who can say he has had a major role in 2 of the biggest teacher-doramas ever (not the biggest since that's Kinpachi-sensei). I remember watching an interview of his (with Ikuta Toma and Okada Masaki) where they were reminiscing about HanaKimi and he said that he almost turned it down because he was already in his 20's and didn't want to do another school drama.
Yeah, I've watched like the first 2 seasons of Gokusen or something and just couldn't take anymore, the first season was really really funny but it went all downhill from there. Never heard of Kinpachi-sensei actually but 8 friggin seasons? Wow, was its success that massive or did dramas back then tend to get more sequels than today?

zeroshiki

Yeah, I've watched like the first 2 seasons of Gokusen or something and just couldn't take anymore, the first season was really really funny but it went all downhill from there. Never heard of Kinpachi-sensei actually but 8 friggin seasons? Wow, was its success that massive or did dramas back then tend to get more sequels than today?

A combination of both. It was super successful back then and they were more open to doing multiple seasons of shows. Nowadays, the major stars are so busy, their schedules are booked up for years (this is the reason Hanzawa Naoki won't get a sequel at least until next year and why Galileo took 7 years for a sequel).

Kinpachi-sensei also ran super long because it was a springboard for launching idol careers back then which Gokusen served as in the modern era for a time (seriously, look through that cast list. Insane members.)

S1:
Matsumoto Jun
Oguri Shun
Narimiya Hiroki
Matsuyama Kenichi
Wentz Eiji

S2:
Kamenashi Kazuya
Akanishi Jin
Hayami Mokomichi
Koike Teppei

S3:
Miura Haruma
Tamamori Yuuta

Also consider that those guys were "made" because of Gokusen. I think only HanaKimi is comparable in the number of stars it produced.

For giggles, here's the HanaKimi list:

Oguri Shun
Ikuta Toma
Mizushima Hiro
Okada Masaki
Yamamoto Yusuke
Shirota Yuu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom