• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about Japanese Dramas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurita

Guess I'll try Shitsuren Chocolatier, Boku no Ita Jikan, Dr. DMAT, Watashi no Kirai na Tantei and S -Saigo no Keikan-.

Akito

LTTP but I have finally finished Legal High S2, so good, I found it to be just as funny as the first season, dat last case, dat inspirational speech by Komikado, Machiko being tricked again, dat twist with Hanyu LFMAO
I hope for and expect to see at least a third season, in the meantime I should check out Hanzawa Naoki I guess.

Aizo

Banned
How was the newer GTO series compared to the original? I watched part of the first episode when it first aired and thought the acting and directing was inferior (obviously I didn't give it much of a chance, though).

ЯAW

Banned
Started watching Amachan from the start and now I'm at episdoe 30. Such lovely show. I really like the easy going feel of it. There isn't big drama lurking behind the curtains, it is what it is. Show about teenage girl who wants to become ama.

zeroshiki

ЯAW;96229519 said:
Started watching Amachan from the start and now I'm at episdoe 30. Such lovely show. I really like the easy going feel of it. There isn't big drama lurking behind the curtains, it is what it is. Show about teenage girl who wants to become ama.

There are dramatic parts and there are episodes where tears will flow but overall its a feel good story about a girl opening up and going for her dream.

Btw, for all the Amachan fans, you guys need to find and watch the 2013 Kouhaku Utagassen (Red White Singing Contest) because they had a special Amachan portion and what is technically the last episode of Amachan in the middle of the show.

It was so awesome.

There are dramatic parts and there are episodes where tears will flow but overall its a feel good story about a girl opening up and going for her dream.

Btw, for all the Amachan fans, you guys need to find and watch the 2013 Kouhaku Utagassen (Red White Singing Contest) because they had a special Amachan portion and what is technically the last episode of Amachan in the middle of the show.

It was so awesome.

I've seen some gif posts on tumblr. Looks awesome!

zeroshiki

After not having Amachan in my life for a few months, seeing them all together like that nearly brought me to tears ;_;

The mom (Koizumi Kyouko) and Suzuka Hiromi (Yakushimaru Hiroko) are awesome singers! Hearing 3 totally different versions of Shiosai no Memories gave me goosebumps.

I've got this habit of not finishing series because I get a bummed that they're over. Two noteworthy examples of this are Churasan and now Amachan. :|

zeroshiki

I have a ton of series that I've only seen upto episode 10 for that very reason. (Another is that if I think they suck and decide to stop at that point)

Kobiekun

It was so awesome.

Fantastic performance.

Kurita

It was so awesome.
Yup it was pretty great.

Though Nounen was super awkward when she introduced Sakanaction :lol

Nounen Rena is the cutest girl on Earth.
Ai Hashimoto>>> Rena. :p But really, I was really shocked when I realized Ai is much younger than Rena when Ai looks so much more mature than her.

It was so awesome.
Guess I'll have to watch this then. Really miss Amachan and kinda stopped watching anything Japanese related after it ended.

zeroshiki

Yup it was pretty great.

Though Nounen was super awkward when she introduced Sakanaction :lol

Nounen is so socially awkward that she makes Ayase Haruka seem well adjusted. I've seen her in variety show after variety show and its just awful. If she doesn't have a script to work off of, she doesn't know how to respond at all.

Kurita

I guess Ayase was just stressed. Tbh it was just sad, not that cringe-worthy, and when she started crying it was pretty touching.

I enjoyed the first episode of Boku no Ita Jikan.
I like the chemistry between the two leads- and enjoyed the way they touch upon different aspects of the main character 's life...
I don't know it just grabbed me.

zeroshiki

Watched Shitsuren Chocolatier yesterday. Ehhh... I guess it was ok. My main problem with it is that everyone in the show is an idiot. Main guy is a moron that likes getting played for a fool by the main girl. Main girl is an airhead and a manipulative bitch. Best friend is a terrible foreign otaku stereotype and the other girl suffers from love triangle third wheel syndrome.

Kurita

Watched Shitsuren Chocolatier yesterday. Ehhh... I guess it was ok. My main problem with it is that everyone in the show is an idiot. Main guy is a moron that likes getting played for a fool by the main girl. Main girl is an airhead and a manipulative bitch. Best friend is a terrible foreign otaku stereotype and the other girl suffers from love triangle third wheel syndrome.
That's what you get when you watch a show based on a shoujo!
But I'll watch it because MatsuJun and Ishihara~

ЯAW;97049891 said:
Nothing has grapped me so far.I will watch second episode of Boku no Ita Jikan but I doubt I stick with it.

Really? Hmm, I haven't watched any serious dramas in a while, so maybe im a little biased

zeroshiki

Ashita, Mama ga inai (Tomorrow, Mommy is not around) is apparently getting rave reviews and opened to good ratings (14%) but its also at the center of a controversy. The setting of the show is in an orphanage connected to the Akachan Post (Baby Box), which you guys might remember from another Ashida Mana show Mother. Its a system where mothers basically just leave their babies in the orphanage anonymously.

Anyways, the hospital itself apparently was unhappy about its depiction in the dorama (the orphanage is shown as an unhappy place) and is asking that the show stop broadcasting. Its kinda a touchy subject and there's talk that Nojima Shinji (the writer of this show and other super famous stuff like 101st Proposal, SOS, Pride, etc) has pulled out of writing the show.

Akito

Hanzawa Naoki Ep 1
Wow, finally got around to watch this and man, the first episode was pretty awesome already, not sure when it was the last time I had watched a as gripping first episode as this. Hanzawa is a great character but it's still quite weird for me to see Masato Sakai play such a serious and good guy :D

Kurita

Hanzawa Naoki Ep 1
Wow, finally got around to watch this and man, the first episode was pretty awesome already, not sure when it was the last time I had watched a as gripping first episode as this. Hanzawa is a great character but it's still quite weird for me to see Masato Sakai play such a serious and good guy :D

Enjoy the ride, it's pretty awesome. All the bank and money related vocabulary was still a bit rough to understand but at the end of the day seeing Hanzawa owning everybody is so good.
You should have seen my face during the last episode, it was intense.

Akito

Enjoy the ride, it's pretty awesome. All the bank and money related vocabulary was still a bit rough to understand but at the end of the day seeing Hanzawa owning everybody is so good.
You should have seen my face during the last episode, it was intense.
Yeah but you always understand enough to see why an action was taken by a character and that's what matters.

Hanzawa Naoki Ep 2
Aya, pardon Hana-chan is such a perfect waifu, I hope she'll get more screentime. But man the tension does not seem to let down at all, everyone is scheming in one way or another. I kinda expect the secret guy who conspires with Higashida to be Hanzawa's buddy cause that would fuck with the audience the most.

Hanzawa Naoki Ep 3
So it was not the buddy :D I didn't expect Asano cause that was too obvious and would resolve things quite quickly and shit seems indeed to go down in the next episode. The first victory in this episode was quite liberating already.

Hanzawa Naoki Ep 5
Dat payback, so good.

I watched a few dramas, but the only one I'm looking forward to is Boku no Ita Jikan.
Episode 2 was pretty good and I like the main character. I'm not really feeling the female lead though .

Shitsiren chocolatier was just so absurd, that I will watch the second episode as well.

I could t get into Saigo no Keikan.
I also watched Nazo no Tenkeisei, SF type that is very very slow paced. I will continue watching it because it feels more like a video recording of that time period rather than a drama.

Aizo

Banned
Hanzawa Naoki Ep 1

Is that the one with the "baigaeshi" or "double payback"?

ЯAW

Banned
Lost all interest in Amachan once the Tokyo arc started. Other vise it was pretty good show. Now I'm watching latest Trick special. I kinda forced myself through the trick saga but during that process I also started to like it. Current special has had good start and hasn't lost it's charm.

Akito

Just finished Hanzawa Naoki, while the second story arc was still great, I couldn't help but think of it as a variation of the first one, only with a different set of characters and at much higher stakes. The final confrontation was satisfying indeed but nothing out of the ordinary and the overacting was maybe a little much in that scene. I wasn't caught off-guard by the twist at the end either, the last couple of minutes were nothing but a buildup towards it.
I think I prefer Legal High to Hanzawa Naoki in the end but it's still an easy recommendation and I'm in for any kind of sequel.

zeroshiki

The Osaka arc was quite a bit better than the Tokyo arc specifically because of the reasons you stated. The Hanzawa dorama is actually made up of two books and you can really see that the author saw what worked in the first and re-introduced it into the second. There's a 3rd book out and the 4th is in serialization so if we're lucky a new season will come in a year or two.

zeroshiki

Shitsuren Chocolatier - 02

(*_*) I want to marry Mizuhara Kiko...

Matsujun proves that he can be a player by adding not 1 but 2 people to his harem. Are you guys sure this is shoujo and not a Ken Akamatsu shounen? lol

I gotta admit, this episode really piqued my interest in this series since they're not going for the tried and true dorama tropes.

Kurita

Just finished Hanzawa Naoki, while the second story arc was still great, I couldn't help but think of it as a variation of the first one, only with a different set of characters and at much higher stakes. The final confrontation was satisfying indeed but nothing out of the ordinary and the overacting was maybe a little much in that scene. I wasn't caught off-guard by the twist at the end either, the last couple of minutes were nothing but a buildup towards it.
I think I prefer Legal High to Hanzawa Naoki in the end but it's still an easy recommendation and I'm in for any kind of sequel.

True, but the formula definitely worked and I never felt bored by it.
I also prefer Legal High but that's mostly because I'm more into comedies. Still, Hanzawa Naoki is one my top 3 dramas of 2013 along with Legal High 2 and Saikou no Rikon.

Shitsuren Chocolatier - 02

(*_*) I want to marry Mizuhara Kiko...

Matsujun proves that he can be a player by adding not 1 but 2 people to his harem. Are you guys sure this is shoujo and not a Ken Akamatsu shounen? lol

I gotta admit, this episode really piqued my interest in this series since they're not going for the tried and true dorama tropes.

Ahh man, I'm looking forward to it now.
I just have to wait now.

Nver have actualy seen a japanese drama. But i watch a lot of the Gaki no Tsukai stuff and in one of the batsu games there was a short japanese drama they made for the batsu so that Tanaka i think got a thai-kick. It was a homage to a 80s stewadess japanese drama. I liked it a lot :D I think it was Stewardess Monogatari.

Which show would you recommend to watch as a first japanese drama?

zeroshiki

Nver have actualy seen a japanese drama. But i watch a lot of the Gaki no Tsukai stuff and in one of the batsu games there was a short japanese drama they made for the batsu so that Tanaka i think got a thai-kick. It was a homage to a 80s stewadess japanese drama. I liked it a lot :D I think it was Stewardess Monogatari.

Which show would you recommend to watch as a first japanese drama?

Attention Please :lol

Boku no Ita Jikan episode 3 was pretty good .
To have that disease at such a young age.
Stephen Hawking was also pretty young when he was afflicted by this disease.

I also started watching Boku no Iya na tantei.
Light comedy, light story .

Only J-drama I've seen has been Hakuba no Oujisama, because it is on Crunchyroll. The constant ads ruin it for me though. But I've liked the first two episodes.

Go_Ly_Dow

Saikou no Rikon 2-4

Jesus christ Hamasaki!

Kinda scary that I can see parts of myself in him though. Although I just think it and keep it bottled up :p

However definitely made me rethink a few things and lighten up on how I perceive people! Don't want to turn into him!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom