• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about Japanese Dramas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

Akanishi got suspended for a year and a half and had his GTO lead role pulled because he was an idiot and didn't tell his management that he knocked Kuroki Meisa up AND married her.

They tried pushing Akanishi really hard at first, even over Kamenashi, but his really terrible attitude put an end to that.

sasuke_91

Akanishi got suspended for a year and a half and had his GTO lead role pulled because he was an idiot and didn't tell his management that he knocked Kuroki Meisa up AND married her.

They tried pushing Akanishi really hard at first, even over Kamenashi, but his really terrible attitude put an end to that.

Well, he wouldn't have been allowed to marry, even if he told his management. I heard he's not even a part of Johnny's anymore.

zeroshiki

Well, he wouldn't have been allowed to marry, even if he told his management. I heard he's not even a part of Johnny's anymore.

Kimura Takuya knocked a girl up and got married and he's still with Johnny's :p I don't think Johnny's would have liked it but they would have found a way to work through it, I'm sure. He still has his fans so they could still make money off him. He's still with Johnny's but is now some kind of Asian-Rapper American wannabe.

zeroshiki

Oh, wow. Well, goodbye to his career then. Johnny never forgives nor does he forget. Good thing his wife also has a powerful agency and still gets roles.

zeroshiki

Was that the episode just now? Souta is an idiot.

I hope this story is going where I think its going because if not, I am going to be very upset and will write harsh words on the internet.

Was that the episode just now? Souta is an idiot.

I hope this story is going where I think its going because if not, I am going to be very upset and will write harsh words on the internet.

No, the one that just aired was episode eight.
I had reservations from the previews I saw, add in your impressions, I think I'm going to be disappointed .

Nazo no tenkosei is one of my favorites this season. Any one else watching this?
Slow burn SF with an emphasis on characters.

I usually just watch the JPN/Chi hard subbed versions , because I also had timing problems with the JPN soft subs .
It breaks the immersion every time I have to adjust it but it's not too bad now that I figured out the times. I wish I can watch it with hard subs. :/

Nazo no tenkosei is one of my favorites this season. Any one else watching this?
Slow burn SF with an emphasis on characters.
A drama that focuses on characters sounds good, want to give it a try now. Boku has been decent so far but kinda disappointed in the approach they took. I'm still going to stick it out but it's nothing special. :/

Aizo

Banned
I realized tonight that the three dramas I'm most interested in watching all star Nagase Tomoya. I don't even know the guy--I've never watched anything with him in it. It's just a strange coincidence that the shows I'm most interested in are Ikebukuro West Gate Park, Tiger and Dragon, and Unubore Deka. So weird.

Anyway...

Ikebukuro West Gate Park - 1
I think I'm finally watching my gateway drama. The drama that will get me more interested in other shows. I should have watched it two years ago when I got it. Better late than never!

I find it extremely entertaining. Maybe its the lighting and soundtrack that make it different for me from most drama, but I'm really diggin' it. It's probably because I'm so interested in yankī and delinquency.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I realized tonight that the three dramas I'm most interested in watching all star Nagase Tomoya. I don't even know the guy--I've never watched anything with him in it. It's just a strange coincidence that the shows I'm most interested in are Ikebukuro West Gate Park, Tiger and Dragon, and Unubore Deka. So weird.

Anyway...

Ikebukuro West Gate Park - 1
I think I'm finally watching my gateway drama. The drama that will get me more interested in other shows. I should have watched it two years ago when I got it. Better late than never!

I find it extremely entertaining. Maybe its the lighting and soundtrack that make it different for me from most drama, but I'm really diggin' it. It's probably because I'm so interested in yankī and delinquency.

IWGP is the best drama I've ever seen, and I've seen quite a few.

Aizo

Banned
Its about the late 20's son of a Yakuza boss (played by Nagase Tomoya) who is forced to go back to High School by his father so he can inherit the gang. Hilarity ensues.

That does sound amusing. I will check it out one day! I'm very slow with TV shows, though, so it'll be a while.

The lasts at episode of Shitsuren was pretty good , funny and lots of moments that had me tensed.

The last scene was naturally acted as well.

Saw the last episode of the time of my life/ I was there/boku yesterday.
I was actually expecting Takuto to die in the end so I was surprised they kept him alive
. The speech Takuto delivered in the end was touching and memorable. It was a good ride and managed to capture my attention until the end so I was satisfied with the drama. I thought it could have been better in many ways but a decent drama nonetheless.

I also started mysterious transfer student/Nazo no tenkosei and while I usually avoid these types of dramas because Japan has crappy special effects, I'm liking it. I still have to watch the latest episode but this will satisfy my drama need until April.

Speaking about April, what's everyone going to watch? I was recommended to watch Roosevelt Game so I might watch that. Though, I really want to see Young People but that's premiering in July.

Kurita

Speaking about April, what's everyone going to watch? I was recommended to watch Roosevelt Game so I might watch that. Though, I really want to see Young People but that's premiering in July.

I guess I'll try :
Shinigami-kun because I'm kind of a Arashi-wota.
Yowakutemo Katemasu for the same reason.
Long Goodbye because Ayano Go.
BORDER because Oguri Shun.
MOZU because Maki Yoko.
Roosevelt Game

Kurita

Hanzawa Naoki was pretty awesome I have to admit. I hope it makes some kind of return in some form in the future.

Considering how crazy popular it was I'be surprised if a second season or a movie isn't happening. Plus they haven't adapted all the novels apparently.

I guess I'll try :
Shinigami-kun because I'm kind of a Arashi-wota.
Yowakutemo Katemasu for the same reason.
Long Goodbye because Ayano Go.
BORDER because Oguri Shun.
MOZU because Maki Yoko.
I knew Maki Yoko sounded familiar; she was in late blooming sunflower! I'm gonna give that that a try as well.

Yup, and the directors along with the screenwriter are the ones who did Hanzawa Naoki. Hopefully it'll be as good!
Nice! Can't be bad at all then! April is already looking better than last season.
Loving Amachan. Just hit episode 20.
Glad you're liking it!! Once you finish, you will have the illness everyone experienced after they finished watching it:ama loss. :( Cherish it while it lasts!!

Ryuukan

Finished GTO Taiwan. It was entertaining even if the language barrier was strange at times between the Onizuka and everyone else. Also was surprised at the level of the sex jokes.

Overall worth a watch on CrunchyRoll just to see the first ever international GTO fist bump. Eager to watch season 2.

Boku no Ita Jikan- Overall, it ended up being average.

Nazo no tenkousei - the finale was great.
Overall my favorite this season- there were a couple of episodes that were average, and the story seemed to want to go in many directions at times, the characters were interesting.
The finale was sooo good, it was nicely paced and that song .

Shitsuren- this was insane at times with all these strange foreshadowing and unpectec d twists, I truly didn't know how the drama would resolve. I have to watch the ending again, just to see if I missed anything .i really enjoyed this one as well.

zeroshiki

The latter part of Shitsuren was a total mess with one of the worst endings known to man. Everyone involved in the show should be ashamed of themselves.

Kurita

Watched the ninth episode of Shitsuren, it was pretty cool. Sad to hear that the ending is a mess but I'll continue anyway, need that Olivier x Matsuri OTP

Go_Ly_Dow

Amachan 34

Aki treats Stove-San like shit.

She's also coming across as fairly self centred.

You promised me good feelings, Zeroshiki :(

Ah, I knew there would be a topic about j-drama here on gaf.

So guys, I'm in the mood for some mystery/investigation/thriller drama, was hoping someone could recommend me something...

I'll list the ones I've watched already so you can get an idea of what I'm looking for

- Shinzanmono
- Odoru Daisousasen
- Trick
- Galileo
- M no Higeki
- BOSS

Could also settle for one like Liar Game or Kurosagi, I like the "anti-hero" kind of story.

Oh yeah, I guess I can recommend the ones above in case anyone is looking for something to check out. My favorites are Shinzanmono (Abe Hiroshi is the protagonist), and Trick (which feels more like a comedy at times, thanks to main actors Abe Hiroshi and Nakami Yukie).

I'll subscribe to this thread, I love me some j-drama.

EDIT: dang, should have read the first post before posting, haha. Some interesting recommendations there, Strawberry Night caught my attention, might give it a go but perhaps someone has a better recommendation?

ЯAW

Banned
I'll vouch for Trick. It's silly as hell but the actor duo make it all work, also all the inspector characters were great. Can't wait to get my hands on the third movie. The 3rd special was pretty good as well, his version of 1Q84 book got chuckle out of me. I wonder how many Japanese pop-culture refrences I am missing in the show.

Kurita

Kagi no Kakatta Heya is my fav investigation drama. Not too serious, great lead characters, great OST. Loved every second of it.

ЯAW;107392202 said:
I'll vouch for Trick. It's silly as hell but the actor duo make it all work, also all the inspector characters were great. Can't wait to get my hands on the third movie. The 3rd special was pretty good as well, his version of 1Q84 book got chuckle out of me. I wonder how many Japanese pop-culture refrences I am missing in the show.

That's a good way to put it, I agree. I remember the first episode was kinda silly due to Naoko's supposedly magic tricks, but when she gets involved with Jiro the fun begins and it will hook you up.

Now this got me thinking as to whether I watched the 3rd season and movies or not, I think I didn't.

Kagi no Kakatta Heya is my fav investigation drama. Not too serious, great lead characters, great OST. Loved every second of it.

I saw it in the first post too, but strawberry's summary seemed more interesting. Even so, I'll definitely check it out after I finish this one.

Been trying to avoid overly depressing dramas, Mother got me good last time I watched it. If I watch one that manages to be more depressing, I'll probably end up throwing myself off a bridge, hehe.
not really, I can handle heavy dramas, just don't feel like watching one right now

zeroshiki

I recommend Ryuusei no Kizuna. Its not investigative in the traditional sense but its the story of 3 kids whose parents got murdered when they were young and, 15 years later, are racing against time to catch the killer before the statute of limitations lapse.

Its by the same author as Shinzanmono and Galileo but has more of a focus on the human family drama aspect but the story is top notch.

Kurita

Ryuusei no Kizuna was great but I thought the twist was a bit anticlimatic.
Still a really solid drama from start to finish.

zeroshiki

Well, it only becomes predictable when you consider the meta aspect of "hey, its the last episode wtf?"

Other than that, its a great ride.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You should watch My Boss, My Hero.

Is it a romcom?

I've never watched one all the way through because none have dragged me in. This is the best one I've seen, but I hope to find more I like.

Its about the late 20's son of a Yakuza boss (played by Nagase Tomoya) who is forced to go back to High School by his father so he can inherit the gang. Hilarity ensues.

That does sound amusing. I will check it out one day! I'm very slow with TV shows, though, so it'll be a while.

One of my absolute favorites!

Though it's kind of annoying that they
don't really answer as who is the winning girl in the end
. I am a sucker for these kind of things, hahaha.

Now GAF, this might be a strange request but please hear me out: I am a sucker for "unconventional romance", the type of romance that happens between two unlikely characters where hijinks and hilarity ensues (well, angst is acceptable too, I guess), kind of like My Boss My Hero and Densha Otoko. Can anyone recommend me good dramas that feature romances such as this?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom