• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Level-5 RPG 'Decapolice' delayed from its previously planned 2024 release window to 2026 (PS4, PS5, Switch, and PC)

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire

Via Noisy Pixel & Gematsu

LEVEL-5 has delayed crime suspense RPG DECAPOLICE from its previously planned 2024 release window to 2026. It will be available for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC via Steam. The PC version is newly announced.

“For DECAPOLICE, we’re developing systems for a large open world, and preparing to release the anime and game at the same time,” LEVEL-5 president and CEO Akihiro Hino said during today’s LEVEL-5 Vision 2024: To the World’s Children event. “We are thrilled to have MARiA sing the theme song—a true diva whose power matches that of the protagonist Harvard—adding a dramatic flair to the performance. Both the visuals and the content of the game are being improved, as we’re evolving it into an even more engaging experience. That also means we’ll need more time to finish it, though. DECAPOLICE is now scheduled for release in 2026.”​

NG9eVfC.png

Last edited:

Midn1ght

A Switch and PS4 game in 2026.

Interesting just checked and they have released Megaton Musashi Wired and Inazuma Eleven: Victory Road is scheduled for PC too.
Ni No Kuni 1 and 2 are also on Steam.

Gonna be case by case apparently, Fantasy Life and the Layton game aren't coming to Steam yet.

Last edited:

Impotaku

I still haven't forgotten when you canceled Ushiro, Level 5 :(
It’s worse as they revived it from PSP to say they were going to release on switch and then nothing at all. The game just vanished again wouldn’t be surprised at all if it was quietly canned a second time. Yet they still keep releasing inazuma 11 games even though it hasn’t been a thing for years. No justice in the world.

Astray

A 2-year delay is honestly unprecedented. But I'm all for it if it ensures a polished product. This game is clearly trying to do something new and fresh.

I'm also thinking that they might target Switch 2 instead of 1 and remove some optimization hassle.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I wonder if there wanting it to be a release for the next generation of switch. Been looking forward to this one, level 5 are hit and miss... a little sad that their trying to franchise it across multiple media types, similair to FF XV. Prior titles that did this I have often found to be lacking from them like Megaton.

StereoVsn

Jeez, a two year delay and pushing Switch and PS4 titles on 2026.

“The game sales have not met our expectations” message will be incoming.

PC?
Pleasantly surprise by this.

Hopefully more game from Level 5 are coming!

That's probably why it's been delayed.

Also yet more proof that trying to support more platforms Day 1 does in fact increase development times...could probably explain more than a few things happening this gen but I'll leave it there.

A 2-year delay is honestly unprecedented. But I'm all for it if it ensures a polished product. This game is clearly trying to do something new and fresh.

I'm also thinking that they might target Switch 2 instead of 1 and remove some optimization hassle.

Yeah, also gotta agree on this point. Switch 2 just makes so much more sense vs Switch 1; that could also be a factor into the delay.

Meanwhile there's a good chance the PS4 version won't necessarily be that much of a seller in 2026, but PS5 is slowing down in Japan and its software sales situation for the most part is a nightmare over there. Level 5 obviously want the game to perform well in Japan and even if Switch 2 has an unprecedented 12-18 months launch period, it still won't be where the Switch currently is for install base.

So do Level 5 drop the Switch version, drop the PS4 version, or drop both and hope PS5, Switch 2 & Steam can make up the difference? The wildcard here is the next Xbox; if they are releasing something in 2026 and it's a console/PC hybrid (that can also access Steam), there's a chance that would help with pushing more Steam sales of the game by acting as a new access point.

Last edited:

Midn1ght

That's probably why it's been delayed.

Also yet more proof that trying to support more platforms Day 1 does in fact increase development times...could probably explain more than a few things happening this gen but I'll leave it there.
Releasing games on all platforms day 1 definitely increase development time but with how much it cost to develop modern games these days, it's inevitable to go multi plat for most developers. I want Level 5 to do well so hopefully the game is successful across the board.

Releasing games on all platforms day 1 definitely increase development time but with how much it cost to develop modern games these days, it's inevitable to go multi plat for most developers. I want Level 5 to do well so hopefully the game is successful across the board.

Well, in some cases the costs are due to poor money management via feature creep, or having too many redundancies involved in the process. But I don't inherently have any issue with the game supporting more platforms Day 1 same as I wouldn't have an issue if it were exclusive to one or two platforms at launch.

It's whatever the parties involved feel is best for the game, I'd say. But yeah, also hoping the game is very successful for them; has a pretty interesting premise and Level 5 have never really gotten the recognition I think they've deserved. Now could be the time.

Probably going to have a switch 2 version then. Or at the very least backwards compatible with fps boost.

Loved level 5 ever since ni no kuni.

Ridicululzz

Level 5 games are pretty quality. I guess the delay is because of the PC addition? Sucks because I was looking forward to this one

Level 5 is like MAPPA in anime industry, they take too many project at once and their release cycle becomes a mess.

Is it the same team? How can they possibly switch from project to project and not just finish one and then start another? Switching between them makes me doubt their quality even more as they'll lose consistency. JRPG's are already notorious for having terrible end-games...

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

Oh noo... I was really looking forward to this game. This isn't a good sign. To be delayed this much. I was so happy for Level 5's return but so far, it is just endless waiting and proper lack of marketing. By 2026, I would probably have a Switch 2 or a next gen PC handheld and would have already moved on.

Shin-Ra

Between the crosseyedness and the dangly cat, I laughed more than expected. Then the sad memory that Ni no Kuni Remastered looks better than most stylish JRPG’s from recent times.

Last edited:
Is it the same team? How can they possibly switch from project to project and not just finish one and then start another? Switching between them makes me doubt their quality even more as they'll lose consistency. JRPG's are already notorious for having terrible end-games...
You mean you don't want to catch all 1,145 pokemon?

Top Bottom