• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT8| PrEPare Yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berordn

I went out to take a look a moment ago (actually posting from the McDonalds on Orange Ave.) Most of the road is closed to traffic and a lot of places nearby are shut down.

I was hoping to take some pictures, but there's not much to see that's not already on the news feeds. Still crazy to think it was that close to me.

Crayons

Banned
I'm glad that all of you from the Orlando area are safe.

What a sad day. Seeing two men kiss was enough to send this madman on an angry killing spree in a safe space for LGBT people to be happy, dance, and meet eachother. During Pride Month. The deadliest mass shooting in the history of this country, and the conservatives will go on TV and pretend they care about LGBT people when they don't, Trump will Tweet about this and use it to get more voters, and those some conservatives will be on the news next week about how Trans people are a danger in our bathrooms,

So mad. But I won't use this tragedy to cower in fear. Then, they win. I'm not gonna let the haters win

Berordn

They changed out the sign while I was in McDonalds, made me smile a bit.
img_20160612_1424044fjpy.jpg

Valahart

Hello GAF,

I'm so freaking devastated by what happened in Orlando, sending all my love to anyone who was closely affected by the crime :(

I'm actually travelling there this week and I feel so scared. I could easily have been inside that club if this had happened in some days.

Does anyone have any helpful advice regarding my safety as I'll be travelling with my boyfriend? Idk exactly what I want to hear but really, any tips are appreciated. Should I even just not go anymore?

theecakee

Hello GAF,

I'm so freaking devastated by what happened in Orlando, sending all my love to anyone who was closely affected by the crime :(

I'm actually travelling there this week and I feel so scared. I could easily have been inside that club if this had happened in some days.

Does anyone have any helpful advice regarding my safety as I'll be travelling with my boyfriend? Idk exactly what I want to hear but really, any tips are appreciated. Should I even just not go anymore?

There really isn't much you can do, you can't live life in fear of terrorist attacks, that's what terrorist want.

I'm sure Orlando right now is on high security alert, in any event.

Berordn

Hello GAF,

Orlando is an extremely safe place for the LGBT community, which is why this is all the more devastating to us. There's no reason to be afraid if you're together, and there's many safe and friendly places to see while you're here.

It's shocking and upsetting, but there's no reason to change your plans because of this maniac. The city's going to be under higher alert than normal.

Bladenic

So sad today. I had a great time at pride and seeing gay icon Kesha but woke up to tragic news again in Orlando. Yesterday not 2 minutes after we got into the blocked off area for pride someone crashed into where the line started for the event and sent 7 to the hospital, I hope they're okay as well.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I hope everyone is safe and ok <3 I know I'm not (I mean I'm safe, don't know if I'll be ok though)

If you need someone to talk to you know we're here for you and if you wanna talk privately you may PM me and Im sure there are others that would be also ok doing the same.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
What a disgusting act of hate.

I'm glad everyone on GAF is okay (Bel Marduk is in Orlando though right? I haven't seen him post yet...And what about Kryptonian? I think he lives in Orlando as well?).

What a disgusting act of hate.

I'm glad everyone on GAF is okay (Bel Marduk is in Orlando though right? I haven't seen him post yet...And what about Kryptonian? I think he lives in Orlando as well?).

I wasn't at Pulse last night but obviously this has been a really hard day for all of us in Orlando and I appreciate your concern.

Crayons

Banned
I came out to my mother today.

She asked me if I was gay. It was so freeing crying on her shoulder. She told me that she loved me no matter what and that I could finally be myself now. It was one of the best cries of my life. It was such a beautiful moment.

So freeing

She asked me if I was gay. It was so freeing crying on her shoulder. She told me that she loved me no matter what and that I could finally be myself now. It was one of the best cries of my life. It was such a beautiful moment.

So freeing

Good on you, Crayons! I think you're gonna be allllllllright!

Astral Dog

So freeing
Glad everything went well :)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I wasn't at Pulse last night but obviously this has been a really hard day for all of us in Orlando and I appreciate your concern.

<3

Is Pulse a club that you frequent?

So freeing

yas

So freeing

Glad it went well

DOWN

Banned
It's hard to stop thinking about this today. My boyfriend has been there tons of times and sadly knew people in there. Universal lit up city walk in rainbow. The Orlando Eye has red, white, and blue. My boss was personally calling every employee to make sure we were safe. It's strange thinking about how the guy came to one of our city's handful of popular gay clubs, when going out to those clubs is such a normal nice thing to do here. My friends were regulars there and thankfully no one I know was there as far as I'm aware. Hope all of our GAF family in Orlando is safe.

Rayis

What a horrible tragedy, we still have to fight against homophobia because even though we have gained so much ground these past few years, we can be still be attacked for who we are. My condolences to anyone affected my this tragedy.

Crayons

Banned
Glad everything went well :)

Glad it went well

Good on you, Crayons! I think you're gonna be allllllllright!

Thanks all of you. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. I don't have to constantly worry about her finding out anymore, and I don't have to worry about any of my actions being viewed as gay. I can truly be myself, now.

It's such a relief. Now I feel like I can go back to being fully truthful with my mother now. No more lies. I lied so much to her and now I can finally stop.

I really recommend coming out to your family if you are able to. It's really good for your own mental health

Kevyt

So freeing

I'm so happy for you!

Astral Dog

Thanks all of you. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. I don't have to constantly worry about her finding out anymore, and I don't have to worry about any of my actions being viewed as gay. I can truly be myself, now.

It's such a relief. Now I feel like I can go back to being fully truthful with my mother now. No more lies. I lied so much to her and now I can finally stop.

I really recommend coming out to your family if you are able to. It's really good for your own mental health
My mom still lashes at me, but with patience and dialogue something could change someday, i know she also has her own issues to accept.
But at least i told them.

Everyone I know is just ... Idk just hollow today. This is too much. I hate that this keeps happening in this country. We have too many unfathomable incidents happen.

I just feel cold

Idk about earlier but when I went to stone wall inn it felt the same way. I know people earlier who said it was too much

What a day

Dany

Banned
It's hard to stop thinking about this today. My boyfriend has been there tons of times and sadly knew people in there. Universal lit up city walk in rainbow. The Orlando Eye has red, white, and blue. My boss was personally calling every employee to make sure we were safe. It's strange thinking about how the guy came to one of our city's handful of popular gay clubs, when going out to those clubs is such a normal nice thing to do here. My friends were regulars there and thankfully no one I know was there as far as I'm aware. Hope all of our GAF family in Orlando is safe.

This tragedy has hit me really hard. No event has struct me like this. I was out for Pride at DC in a very packed club while this was happening hundreds of miles south. It's scary. It can happen in DC, Chicago NYC, Seattle or anywhere else.

Update on the guy who said he was going to LA pride, who was found with weapons: contrary to previous reports he never said he would harm the parade.
UPDATE 10:10 p.m.: Santa Monica Police have now confirmed that Howell never expressed intent to “harm” the parade. According to reports from the L.A. Times and the N.Y. Daily News, friends of the suspect say Howell is bisexual with a male partner and harbored no ill will towards gay and lesbians.

In October of last year, Indiana’s News and Tribune reported that Howell was arrested after allegedly pointing a handgun at his neighbors and his boyfriend. According to the L.A. Times, Howell pleaded guilty to misdemeanor intimidation over the incident in April, receiving a one-year suspended prison sentence and agreeing not to own any weapons while on probation.

Howell is currently being held on felony weapons and explosives charges. His bail has been set at $500,000.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1232135&page=3

Berordn

This is how I have felt today. It's too much and the number of people killed for no reason but for being themselves is too high. I do not have the emotional energy to process this.

Instead I feel hollow.

I'm lucky enough to not have lost anyone close to me, but it's hard to muster up any sort of response still.

Most of my friends are the same, except my boyfriend's been a bit of a wreck and he's going through a bit of survivor's guilt since he was thinking of actually heading there last night.

Everyone just seems to be a little empty inside.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Congrats on the positive coming out, Crayons!

I think something must be off about me because the shooting hasn't really impacted me. I was just on the phone with a straight friend, and he was much more upset. Then again, I also haven't really followed any of the news coverage, and I have a tendency to have delayed emotional reactions to things. Still, I kind of wish I was feeling more. I worry that I've just come to expect this kind of stuff so much&#8212;violence in general, violence against LGBT people&#8212;that it has lost its impact.

Best wishes to everyone who has been impacted by this in some way. Hopefully positive change can come from this.

Valahart

I'm not even in the same country and I feel like crap today.

You know, when you live in such a hostile place for LGBTQ people you tent to grow this dream that somewhere it is different. Somewhere we are respected and not treated as less.

One of the reasons I was so excited about travelling to Orlando with my boyfriend is literally that I thought there would be one of these places. And then this, a few days before we actually go. Wtf man.

I have yet to find that place, and believe me I've been around.

Congrats on the positive coming out, Crayons!

I think something must be off about me because the shooting hasn't really impacted me. I was just on the phone with a straight friend, and he was much more upset. Then again, I also haven't really followed any of the news coverage, and I have a tendency to have delayed emotional reactions to things. Still, I kind of wish I was feeling more. I worry that I've just come to expect this kind of stuff so much—violence in general, violence against LGBT people—that it has lost its impact.

Best wishes to everyone who has been impacted by this in some way. Hopefully positive change can come from this.
its okay. i sorta feel the same. i never really loss anyone so I really can't approximate the sort of remorse most people feel right now. and also the sad fact that incidents like this continuously occur in this country. hell, there is a homicide to report on my local every single day. its numbness. im not outraged, because this isn't suprising enough. and I'm not emotionally wrecked because i can't fathom the amount of sorrow that is released at so little time. my brain can't at all react to 50 lives being lost at once. i just feel angry and powerless. what horrible, horrible day for our community.

Golnei

This is how I have felt today. It's too much and the number of people killed for no reason but for being themselves is too high. I do not have the emotional energy to process this.

Instead I feel hollow.

I've been feeling the same way, I keep thinking about it without really processing it; the horror of it just kind of hangs over everything.

Sibylus

Banned
Disconnected from all social media stuff today on account of Orlando. The suffering, the grief, the bickering, the politicking... no. I just cannot.

B-Dex

To honour our brethren or other word whatever from Orlando I went and had my super hung Polynesian buddy annihilate my ass. I think I'm still climaxing even sitting on my bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom