• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT8| PrEPare Yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
To honour our brethren or other word whatever from Orlando I went and had my super hung Polynesian buddy annihilate my ass. I think I'm still climaxing even sitting on my bed.
Yeah dude. I'm definitely not gonna hate on you getting good dick earlier, but attempting to tie that to the Orlando massacre is...hopefully a decision that was made with a non-sober mind. Clean your ass out, take a nap, and then try again later with a less foolish mind.

DOWN

Banned
Stayed home last night after work. There were police cars around the mall and I was listening to the most popular radio hosts in Orlando do a special broadcast and it all got to me. One of the hosts is a lesbian and the group was so sweet trying to comfort her but she kept crying and had that thought I'm sure lots are having of 'why didn't this happen when I was in a gay club? why not us instead of them?' Perhaps especially for those who go out in Orlando. It was really sweet to hear that one of the other popular gay clubs had a tribute last night where they did their usual shows only after speaking about Pulse and made sure to be seen out and still able to get together. Hard to hear that this was the first time Facebook has used its Safety Check feature in the USA.

berzeli

Banned
One of the most disgusting things about the way the Orlando atrocity has been portrayed in a lot of the media is the downplaying of the fact that it was a homophobic attack. And at that, it was the deadliest targeted attack in the western world on LGBT people since the holocaust. Owen Jones wrote a nice piece:
On Sky News last night, I realised how far some will go to ignore homophobia
The presenter continually and repeatedly refused to accept that this was an attack on LGBT people. This was an attack “against human beings”, he said, and “the freedom of all people to try to enjoy themselves”. He not only refused to accept it as an attack on LGBT people, but was increasingly agitated that I – as a gay man – would claim it as such.
Go read the entire thing. Here is a link to the Sky News segment, and it really is revolting to see the refusal of the host to say what the attack really was.
And to see the same deemphasis play out in several newspapers and just across the spectrum is infuriating as hell.

There's a thread in the video game section about Microsoft E3 info leaking. The title has "stay safe!" in it, as if it's quirky to mock "stay safe" messages that people send in times of crisis.

Especially after this weekend, I'm just so fucking exhausted with straight people having zero fucking empathy for what queer people have to go through. Fuck this shit.

There's a thread in the video game section about Microsoft E3 info leaking. The title has "stay safe!" in it, as if it's quirky to mock "stay safe" messages that people send in times of crisis.

Especially after this weekend, I'm just so fucking exhausted with straight people having zero fucking empathy for what queer people have to go through. Fuck this shit.

Sometimes I wonder if alot of gaming side even keeps up with current events outside of video games. Whenever I head over there it always feels like some people are just so separated to the world around them.

Sometimes I wonder if alot of gaming side even keeps up with current events outside of video games. Whenever I head over there it always feels like some people are just so separated to the world around them.

Seriously. And then all the bros in the thread call me "retarded" for trying to be sensitive to the fact that 50 of my people were mauled down this weekend simply for being who they are.

Alrus

I'm sorry, but I really don't think this was done with malice and there's better ways to spend your anger than an innocuous thread title on a video game forum.

And yeah no, I think you're completely overstating the "straight guys have no empathy for us" thing. No need to go into the everyone hates us direction, it doesn't accomplish shit and it's not true.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

The stay safe part I think its more related to all the leaks that has happened before the conferences and how the leaks have kept coming.. I wouldnt really get too bothered by it and IMO it doesn't seem like was any ill things meant by it.

Tuck

"Stay safe" isn't reserved for LGBT* people. He was clearly referring to people who don't want all the news spoiled before the press event. It was a harmless comment.

*I don't care how many people in the LGBT community love the word "queer", I will never use it to describe myself. The word disgusts me, and I think I hate the fact its become so commonplace. Moreover, I hate the fact that people in the community act like everyone is okay with the word. Its an insult.

Kater

Banned
I had an account YEARS ago and couldn't find it so I had to sign up for a new one, but thank you! =D So glad to be actively part of this community again

Welcome, contranova!

I saw that thread title and thought it was insensitive but likely not done maliciously.

Yeah it's just nerds being afraid of getting the conference spoiled (and maybe the stay safe part is in jest as well).

I'm sorry, but I really don't think this was done with malice and there's better ways to spend your anger than an innocuous thread title on a video game forum.

And yeah no, I think you're completely overstating the "straight guys have no empathy for us" thing. No need to go into the everyone hates us direction, it doesn't accomplish shit and it's not true.

I didn't say all straight people. Your tone is very pointed.

KmA

As someone who is both Muslim and gay, this is literally debilitating. I can't think clearly. I feel like I'm constantly on the verge of tears. It's just like... where do I go? Muslims will hate me for being gay and gay people will hate me for being Muslim.

Dany

Banned
As someone who is both Muslim and gay, this is literally debilitating. I can't think clearly. I feel like I'm constantly on the verge of tears. It's just like... where do I go? Muslims will hate me for being gay and gay people will hate me for being Muslim.
I don't hate you <3

Amazing answer. Keep wasting your time being angry at things that don't warrant it :)

Qdrxj5O.gif

I kind of doubt the latter bit. I think most gays tend to be fairly liberal people who wont lump extremists with regular joe Muslims.

KmA

I don't hate you <3

Thank you love I appreciate it <3

I kind of doubt the latter bit. I think most gays tend to be fairly liberal people who wont lump extremists with regular joe Muslims.

I don't have grindr or scruff at the moment but my gay Sikh friend just got this message... Like yea, gays tend to be a bit more liberal than the average person. But I still have to navigate a predominantly white space and it reflects in how I get treated tbh. GAF is nicer than the average liberal space, but yeah in the real world I get treated a bit differently.

Being liberal doesn't mean shit.

Keep telling yourself that.

Don't ever expect video game fans to be self aware. I completely agreed with The Verge article.

I don't have grindr or scruff at the moment but my gay Sikh friend just got this message... Like yea, gays tend to be a bit more liberal than the average person. But I still have to navigate a predominantly white space and it reflects in how I get treated tbh. GAF is nicer than the average liberal space, but yeah in the real world I get treated a bit differently.
That is a horrendous thing to say, and completely disrespectful. The type of guy who would say that is certainly not the type of person that I, or most people, would want to associate themselves with. Although there's no denying that the LGBT community, like any other community, has prejudice and hateful members - people like that don't speak for all of us. These types of people that will treat you unfairly because of your culture are giving in to terrorist ideologies by allowing the events in Orlando to create a rift and strengthen a cause for war.

As far as I'm concerned, I still welcome Muslims into the LGBT community with open arms. I want this to be a safe haven for you guys the same way it is for me. It pains me to see others being so exclusive and ignorant.. Just remember that is is our community, and no one can take that away from you.

Berordn

Turns out that I did know two people who were killed.

I'm sorry to hear that... I've still been lucky enough not to recognize anyone on the list yet.

I've been seeing people walking by my apartment on Grant with flowers and the like, so they might be letting people leave stuff now. I'm not sure if that helps at all.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

A queer Muslim woman gave a beautiful speech at the vigil in Seattle we were at last night. It was a great moment in an otherwise somber event as tens of thousands of people rallied behind the statements she was making; even the mayor and governor, who also spoke, were clearly on the verge of tears by the end.

I did agree with what some people near us were saying, that it was a worthwhile event to have organized on such short notice, but many of us wished it could've been more purposeful rather than simply sharing in grief. Most of us can't even donate blood to this cause...

Kevyt

I don't hate you. I would never hate someone for their religion.

Thank you love I appreciate it <3

That's so immature and disgusting, I'm sorry that your friend has to go through that.

Turns out that I did know two people who were killed.

My condolences Bel.

Sorry for your loss :(

My husband just called and told me about a third acquaintance who was killed. With each one the shock and hurt and anger increases exponentially

Jesus Christ. Bel, I think I speak for everyone when I say that if you need to talk, or vent, or cry or whatever, we are here for you. All of us.

ngower

Already seeing people who gave "thoughts and prayers" on facebook whining about how tired they are at work or how they can't wait for a concert or what-the-fuck-ever. I'm not saying people's lives need to be hijacked by this story, but between the failure to qualify this as a hate crime and instead blame it on Islam, and the immediacy with which people are moving on, I'm becoming increasingly livid. I can't remember that last time I was this enraged at straight folk.

Already seeing people who gave "thoughts and prayers" on facebook whining about how tired they are at work or how they can't wait for a concert or what-the-fuck-ever. I'm not saying people's lives need to be hijacked by this story, but between the failure to qualify this as a hate crime and instead blame it on Islam, and the immediacy with which people are moving on, I'm becoming increasingly livid. I can't remember that last time I was this enraged at straight folk.

This is hardly a straight folk thing. This sort of thing happens with almost every disaster.

People care for a week, then move on.

Just because this time it hits close to home for you does not make it magically more special to other people.

Also this just reeks of the same sort of thinking that leads to "how could you be depressed when there are still child slaves in Africa?!" People are allowed to be tired about work or annoyed about things in their daily lives.

ngower

This is hardly a straight folk thing. This sort of thing happens with almost every disaster.

People care for a week, then move on.

Just because this time it hits close to home for you does not make it magically more special to other people.

Also this just reeks of the same sort of thinking that leads to "how could you be depressed when there are still child slaves in Africa?!" People are allowed to be tired about work or annoyed about things in their daily lives.

I'm aware of compassion fatigue, but I just think it's shocking. We're not even 48 hours beyond the shooting! It just dilutes the power of people's "thoughts and prayers" when they seem to have moved on to bigger issues. Fuck, people were pissed about that gorilla for a week or two. 49 people are dead (and the asshole who did it) and people already seem okay with it.

Tuck

You and Elitist have almost the exact same avatar.

Thats... confusing.

JCX

That scruff post is disgusting. Unfortunately some gays think that their gayness makes them immune to being racist even when saying racist things.

Grizzo

I'm at a loss for words about what happened saturday night.

And that Scruff post is revolting.

All of this feels just... sickening.

DOWN

Banned
My husband just called and told me about a third acquaintance who was killed. With each one the shock and hurt and anger increases exponentially
So sorry Bel.
You'll always have love here. No hate from me.

Ambitious

Five days until the Rainbow Parade here in Vienna. It's gonna be my first pride event ever. I sure hope I get to know some people. So far, I don't have any queer friends at all, and it's hard for me to approach others.

Andrin

I've been really busy lately with life keeping me from being on GAF much, so I haven't posted at all in this iteration of the LGBTQIA+ OT. But I felt like I absolutely had to at least share my sympathies with everyone here, especially those like Marduk who've lost people they knew yesterday. Stay safe everyone.

mantidor

At first I was kind of numb about the news but it slowly has crept in me and is terrifying me, even as someone who is not in the US.

Something I've been wondering, do you guys and gals think ethnicity played a role since it was Latino night in the club?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom