• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT8| PrEPare Yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a horrendous thing to say, and completely disrespectful. The type of guy who would say that is certainly not the type of person that I, or most people, would want to associate themselves with. Although there's no denying that the LGBT community, like any other community, has prejudice and hateful members - people like that don't speak for all of us. These types of people that will treat you unfairly because of your culture are giving in to terrorist ideologies by allowing the events in Orlando to create a rift and strengthen a cause for war.

As far as I'm concerned, I still welcome Muslims into the LGBT community with open arms. I want this to be a safe haven for you guys the same way it is for me. It pains me to see others being so exclusive and ignorant.. Just remember that is is our community, and no one can take that away from you.

This may also be just someone lashing out due to our community is hurting right now.

Ambitious

I wish you luck, and I hope you have a great time! :)

Thanks!
Oh, and by the way: I'm gonna wear normal clothes, no costume or anything. But I'd like to wear some rainbow-themed accessory. Does anyone here have a good suggestion?

So far, I only found this scarf on Amazon:
61h7fxRVgAL._UX522_.jpg

I'm not wholly convinced, but it does look kind of nice, doesn't it? Though I think the colors might be a bit too bright for my taste.

This may also be just someone lashing out due to our community is hurting right now.
Hopefully that's the case with this particular scenario. I've seen a lot of terrible remarks on these dating/hook-up sites before regarding race/culture before, though. This person seems to just be using the events in Orlando as an excuse for it, which is even sadder.

Hopefully that's the case with this particular scenario. I've seen a lot of terrible remarks on these dating/hook-up sites before regarding race/culture before, though. This person seems to just be using the events in Orlando as an excuse for it, which is even sadder.

Yeah, if I had more instances of this particular person saying this kind of stuff even before Orlando than I'd be okay with labeling him a bigot but people are upset and angry right now (not to excuse what he said) so I don't know if he was just lashing out or not. Unfortunately, we'll probably see a lot of that till the strong feelings subside.

Sai-kun

Banned
I have a few rainbow bandannas that I'm a fan of :] They're cute and wearable anywhere.

This is on the corner of one of the busy blocks of Boystown, the queer neighborhood here in Chicago. It was really unsettling. It was nice to see, but I was overwhelmed by it, too. Strange feeling.

Astral Dog

At first I was kind of numb about the news but it slowly has crept in me and is terrifying me, even as someone who is not in the US.

Something I've been wondering, do you guys and gals think ethnicity played a role since it was Latino night in the club?

who knows, it could just have been coincidence, but what we know is that there were serious homophobic and religious ideas behind this.

There's a thread in the video game section about Microsoft E3 info leaking. The title has "stay safe!" in it, as if it's quirky to mock "stay safe" messages that people send in times of crisis.

Especially after this weekend, I'm just so fucking exhausted with straight people having zero fucking empathy for what queer people have to go through. Fuck this shit.

i thought it was a bit strange as well, but try to not let that bother you, that was likely not done with malicious intent and mostly an unfortunate choice of words.
these days have been difficult but dont let yourself be down by these innocuous things, its not worth it.

Pyrokai

wow. a witness on MSNBC says his friend, who was a victim in the bathroom spoke of a moment when the shooter asked some of the black victims if they were indeed black. and the shooter actually let them go saying he "doesn't have a problem with the blacks"

wow.

Ambitious

I have a few rainbow bandannas that I'm a fan of :] They're cute and wearable anywhere.

This is on the corner of one of the busy blocks of Boystown, the queer neighborhood here in Chicago. It was really unsettling. It was nice to see, but I was overwhelmed by it, too. Strange feeling.

I assume you were replying to me? I'm not really a fan of bandanas. I think I'm gonna get that scarf. Better than nothing.

wow. a witness on MSNBC says his friend, who was a victim in the bathroom spoke of a moment when the shooter asked some of the black victims if they were indeed black. and the shooter actually let them go saying he "doesn't have a problem with the blacks"

wow.
That's really bizarre since they still would have [likely] been gay...

You guys know that meme where any person pushing a virulently homophobic agenda is secretly gay?

Sometimes I think people take it seriously. And then we get shit like this:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=206860245&postcount=5198
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=206860652&postcount=5202

Orlando shooter might be gay! Its all our fault.

Granted it is just two posters, but this sort of shit really ticks me off. And whenever I get ticked out I inevitably get told I'm taking a "joke" too seriously.

edit: Oh apparently the shooter actually really might be gay. With legit evidence....

well fuck this :(

DOWN

Banned
You guys know that meme where any person pushing a virulently homophobic agenda is secretly gay?

Sometimes I think people take it seriously. And then we get shit like this:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=206860245&postcount=5198
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=206860652&postcount=5202

Orlando shooter might be gay! Its all our fault.

Granted it is just two posters, but this sort of shit really ticks me off. And whenever I get ticked out I inevitably get told I'm taking a "joke" too seriously.

edit: Oh apparently the shooter actually really might be gay. With legit evidence....

well fuck this :(
There's not really evidence of that as far as I'm hearing. We know he was trying to learn about gay places in Orlando through people on Facebook and gay apps but we don't have evidence that he ever had any physical contact with gay or bi men. The only guy I hear speaking about the app conversations says the guy avoided ever actually meeting up and was spotted by others drinking at the clubs alone a few times. Still a possibility, but I don't think there's been actual evidence he was after more than information and club regulars.

Talk about self-hate. I'm beginning to think this guy was more mentally unstable and insecure about his sexuality rather then a Muslim terrorist bent on cause havok.

It does make me kinda feel somewhat sorry for him. (I have huge empathy even for bad people)

Jesus Christ. Bel, I think I speak for everyone when I say that if you need to talk, or vent, or cry or whatever, we are here for you. All of us.

Thanks for all the support everyone.

Today I'm in the anger stage of grief. Its a normal part of the process.

We should be allowed to be angry and express our anger when an act this horrific has been perpetrated against us.

There's not really evidence of that as far as I'm hearing. We know he was trying to learn about gay places in Orlando through people on Facebook and gay apps but we don't have evidence that he ever had any physical contact with gay or bi men. The only guy I hear speaking about the app conversations says the guy avoided ever actually meeting up and was spotted by others drinking at the clubs alone a few times. Still a possibility, but I don't think there's been actual evidence he was after more than information and club regulars.

I don't care to know anything about this asshole or any motivation he may have had. I'm just glad he's dead.

Astral Dog

Talk about self-hate. I'm beginning to think this guy was more mentally unstable and insecure about his sexuality rather then a Muslim terrorist bent on cause havok.

It does make me kinda feel somewhat sorry for him. (I have huge empathy even for bad people)

everybody deserves a bit of empathy,good or bad, specially if that is true he is just the product of religious indoctrination and homophobic propaganda. awful situation all around.

mantidor

I think it's both, plus gun control. What a horrible mix, you have all the ingredients, easy access to weapons, homophobic religious upbringing, repressed sexuality, ISIS and their fucking awful indoctrination of unstable Muslims in western countries, it's just a god damn tragedy all around.

Welp... On Reddit the top 5 or so comments in a thread about the perpetrator possibly being gay are jokes about how ISIS members are homosexuals. Haha so fucking funny. :mad:

Thanks for all the support everyone.

Today I'm in the anger stage of grief. Its a normal part of the process.

We should be allowed to be angry and express our anger when an act this horrific has been perpetrated against us.

I don't care to know anything about this asshole or any motivation he may have had. I'm just glad he's dead.
Same. Don't care about this sick fuck's personal life at all.

Golnei

If that is the case, it's only going to make it even easier for people to dismiss their own homophobia as a non-issue going forward - the only ones actually responsible for discriminatory violence are clearly just gay and in denial, and the rest of us are totally blameless in perpetuating it. It's not our problem!

Well I brought that on myself :)

Puritanical religions, cultures, and societies like ours continue to breed warped people afraid to embrace their truth, leading to confusion, rage and we see again violence.

If that is the case, it's only going to make it even easier for people to dismiss their own homophobia as a non-issue going forward - the only ones actually responsible for discriminatory violence are clearly just gay and in denial, and the rest of us are totally blameless in perpetuating it. It's not our problem!

Ugh. I can totally imagine this. "The gays are the only ones killing themselves. Just goes to show how dangerous it is to live such a deviant lifestyle." I'm shuddering just thinking about it.

annnnd I just learned about "Findom" (Financial Domination)

not to kink shame but literally why would you ever want to give your money away like that

Loss of control plus the embarrassment and shame must be central and even more powerful than general physical domination since you're actually destroying your life as the slave of whoever your dom is.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
annnnd I just learned about "Findom" (Financial Domination)

not to kink shame but literally why would you ever want to give your money away like that

Let me get finsub then.

Loss of control plus the embarrassment and shame must be central and even more powerful than general physical domination since you're actually destroying your life as the slave of whoever your dom is.

It's pretty weird to see how we are seeing all these things happen more often and being talked about more these days. I wonder what things I will hear next.

DOWN

Banned
Discussed earlier on the page. There's nothing that actually suggests he was doing more than contemplating, researching, and planning what to do for an attack. He never met up with any men romantically as far as we know, even if it is possible he did. His Facebook interactions suggest he was somewhat strategic in finding people for research and not for any personal interest.

KmA

^ I've read reports that he was going to that club for over three years. I don't know it's very difficult for me to think that he was just scouting for information all this time.

Plus his dad is a homophobe. He literally said that "it is up to God to punish the gays" in a video to Afghanistan. The more I learn about his history the more I feel like he was deeply repressed. He had two failed marriages. He grew up in a repressive Muslim household. He would sloppy drunk at gay clubs and complain about his father. This entire narrative screams that he was struggling with his sexuality.

And it's so scary to me. Because I know a lot of guys like him. There was this one *straight* guy who wanted to experiment or something with me... and he couldn't even look at me while we were together. Like yeah he clearly felt stuff but he refused to let me kiss him and he'd always look past me. Patriarchy and masculine expectations run so deep.

DOWN

Banned
^ I've read reports that he was going to that club for over three years. I don't know it's very difficult for me to think that he was just scouting for information all this time.

Plus his dad is a homophobe. He literally said that "it is up to God to punish the gays" in a video to Afghanistan. The more I learn about his history the more I feel like he was deeply repressed. He had two failed marriages. He grew up in a repressive Muslim household. He would sloppy drunk at gay clubs and complain about his father. This entire narrative screams that he was struggling with his sexuality.

And it's so scary to me. Because I know a lot of guys like him. There was this one *straight* guy who wanted to experiment or something with me... and he couldn't even look at me while we were together. Like yeah he clearly felt stuff but he refused to let me kiss him and he'd always look past me. Patriarchy and masculine expectations run so deep.
It's possible, as I said. But so far we already knew he had been asking around and had at least scouted clubs in person. We have no one saying he had actually gone beyond awkward chatting in person and in the apps, correct?

Dany

Banned
Trying to logic out what the killer was thinking in the years to days leading up to the massacre is frustrating. All these tibits of information that come out just makes me feel like we'll never know the truth. And that whatever narrative is pieced together from what the media/police scour will never be enough.

DOWN

Banned
that SONY game where a white woman with dreads wears Native American clothes in the future and saves her brown tribesmen

and The Last Guardian

Alrus

I think Aloy's outfit is more meant to represent a generic pre-historical/tribal outfit than a Native American one.

Not to be insensitive or derail the discussion, but what you all seen and liked from E3 thus far

We happy few looks intriguing which is nice.
RE 7 looks weird but sorta intriguing too. Kinda interested to see where they go with it.
South Park looks like south park, will be enjoyable so I'll probably get it at some point.

Outside of that it's been mostly disappointment or stuff I don't care about.

Idk if you two are taking the piss at me or what, but I just find gay jokes in a topic about the massacre really inappropriate.

If it came across that way, my apologies but I was being 100% sincere. Being gay or trans, despite progress we've made as a society still comes with the stigma of being bothered, off or "funny" in the eyes of straight people and jokes come easy to them despite how tragic the context

Not to be insensitive or derail the discussion, but what you all seen and liked from E3 thus far

Spiderman, We Happy Few, Mafia 3, Dishonored 2 and Kojima's Wacked out on Shrooms Dreamscape game.

Tuck

Sigh. (Warning, the next paragraph is me whining about my lousy life. Just need to vent.)

Had a nice weekend (until/besides the bad news on Sunday), but the week has turned quite poor. My job is so boring. I have nothing to do. And I started looking for a new one again and there's nothing. Absolutely nothing. Structural Engineering doesn't seem to be in high demand. Part of me wonders if I should go back to school. But that'd be expensive, I'd have to give up a lot to do it. And there's two directions I could go in (Masters of structural engineering, or a master in transportation engineering), with no idea which to chose. And after talking early last week, Tinder guy hasn't messaged me again. So, guess the date is off. I could message him I suppose. But I'll probably refrain. I sort of feel like I was the one initiating most of our conversations. Because I was. And I'm not about to walk myself into a one sided relationship again. Plus E3 has been pretty meh, and I didn't get to watch any of the press conferences (Can't remember the last time I missed all 3... been years. Usually I see Sony, Ubisoft and Nintendo's). And then to top it all off, my (embarrassing medical condition warning)
hemorrhoids
have been on fire this week, meaning I've been in excruciating, non stop pain since yesterday morning.

Its been a bad week. Good thing its already..... Tuesday =/

Definitely:
Nier
Yooka-Laylee
South Park
The Last Garudian
Zelda (Yet to see it, but its Zelda, so I'm hyped)

Maybe:
Ni-Oh (Need to try the demo in august)
God of War (Don't typically like the series but the demo looked like a big change)
Deus Ex

Honestly, pretty disappointing E3. Not much for me. Which I guess is fine. I want gaming to be a smaller part of my life, and it looks like the gaming industry wants that too.

theecakee

Dishonored 2, We Happy Few, Horizon, Steep, Detroit all looked cool.

God of War I liked as well, but its been weird because prior to the reveal I really did not want to see another GoW. I wasn't a big fan of the original games. However, the reboot of it totally has me on board.

Honestly, pretty disappointing E3. Not much for me. Which I guess is fine. I want gaming to be a smaller part of my life, and it looks like the gaming industry wants that too.

Yeah I'm about the same as well. I less and less play games, and more just like following the industry and posting on message boards lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom