• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT9| The Return of the Queen

Sibylus

Banned
Haly you beautiful son of a bitch
bounty-wag.gif

Beefy

Bought the Lindt chocolate maxi ball on Amazon for Xmas. It arrived slightly damaged so I complained. Amazon are refunding me the money and sending out another one. So I get two for free.

B-Dex

Bought the Lindt chocolate maxi ball on Amazon for Xmas. It arrived slightly damaged so I complained. Amazon are refunding me the money and sending out another one. So I get two for free.

There goes someone's Christmas bonus. Happy Holidays.

OrionX

Happy Thanksgiving lettersGAF! Just want to say I'm thankful to have a place like this where I can chat with people like myself, tbh I've never really had that before. That's pretty much my own fault, but I'm trying to break out of my shell more. :)

Having to suck your bf in the car for 7 hours would be terrible.

lmao!

Wish I had a bae to drag me places I don't wanna go... :p

Aw shit, drapiondoto is here too.
Hi.

I've often wondered how long it takes on average to get through one of those things. I would see for myself but since I'm type 1 diabetic I would Literally Die.

So I have to work tomorrow during Black Friday. Luckily I'm only in the bakery dept. of my store, and it's during the evening so most of the fervor will have died down... but still.

Damn you Americans for infecting Canada with another consumer holiday! Boxing Day should be enough! :p

Kant's regulative-constitutive distinction is a complete and wonderful mindfuck.

Philosophy is fun and it also kind of makes you neurotic/crazy.

I recommend it if stretching out your head via holding within it really big ideas appeals to you.

So I have to work tomorrow during Black Friday. Luckily I'm only in the bakery dept. of my store, and it's during the evening so most of the fervor will have died down... but still.

Damn you Americans for infecting Canada with another consumer holiday! Boxing Day should be enough! :p

evil-laugh.gif

Yes, yes! the transformation process is almost complete.

Now you just need to fight each other in the stores and get creative with your syrup to use as knockout solutions to get the best price.

Man, I'm listening to CBC's Tonic (Jazz) stream and it's really adding a pleasant air to my evening of reading. I highly recommend it if you want a calm evening.

http://www.cbcmusic.ca/music-streams/b25/Tonic

evil-laugh.gif

Yes, yes! the transformation process is almost complete.

Now you just need to fight each other in the stores and get creative with your syrup to use as knockout solutions to get the best price.

You joke, but it's really quite funny seeing the difference between US and Canadian shoppers on Black Friday. We really do love up to our polite reputation 99% of the time, while you guys... well, you know. :p

Kant's regulative-constitutive distinction is a complete and wonderful mindfuck.

Philosophy is fun and it also kind of makes you neurotic/crazy.

I recommend it if stretching out your head via holding within it really big ideas appeals to you.

Logically I know the person I argued with was using Kant incorrectly, but I got so turned off by Kant when someone tried to use his categorical imperative to argue that homosexuality (or at least being exclusively homosexual) should be seen as immoral because if everyone participated in exclusively homosexual relations the population would die out.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
You joke, but it's really quite funny seeing the difference between US and Canadian shoppers on Black Friday. We really do love up to our polite reputation 99% of the time, while you guys... well, you know. :p

Going to assume you aren't referring to the French Canadians, since over a decade in retail showed me they were incredibly rude! 😥

Man, I'm listening to CBC's Tonic (Jazz) stream and it's really adding a pleasant air to my evening of reading. I highly recommend it if you want a calm evening.

http://www.cbcmusic.ca/music-streams/b25/Tonic

It's why I never do black friday unless it can be done online.

Logically I know the person I argued with was using Kant incorrectly, but I got so turned off by Kant when someone tried to use his categorical imperative to argue that homosexuality (or at least being exclusively homosexual) should be seen as immoral because if everyone participated in exclusively homosexual relations the population would die out.

That's as dumb as saying that is everyone was an artist, we'd all be starving and homeless because nothing would be produced. You can't take an illogical hypothetical and randomly apply it to reality. If it was an either/or where everyone on the planet literally *must* conform, then sure. But it's not, so that argument is literally pointless.

That being said, I haven't looked into Kant. I'm mostly just familiar with literary philosophers.

Going to assume you aren't referring to the French Canadians, since over a decade in retail showed me they were incredibly rude! 😥

I only have experience in my (non-French) part of Manitoba. But, while some people can be rude here (like anywhere), they aren't *literally trampling over people* to save a couple of dollars.

Lol that's weird. Partly because humanity dying out from people deciding they don't want to reproduce isn't really a moral problem at all...

I usually see Kant's ethical insight more as one where an ethical principle can't at one time apply to you (say to favour you), and not in another time (when it would disfavour you), that's basically what the generalizability principle seems to be getting at. If we can arrive at certain ethical principles they should always be good; but then we end up with a pretty limited list- things like not killing, not stealing, or not lying, not using people as means to an end, etc. We can imagine cases where all of those might be more permissible under the circumstances, but it still doesn't make them 'right'.

The categorical imperative can be really useful, because you can avoid the ethical ambiguity in things like virtue ethics, or something like utilitarianism where you have to enter into some kind of impossible ethical calculation, and one that kind of trivializes our actions because it is entirely consequentialist. I think Kant framing ethics as a matter of duty is actually a profoundly elegant solution to the problem of how to grasp ethics with the intellect.

The problem with it, I think, is that we generally don't have that much problem gasping ethics with the intellect. An extremely common kind of ethical problem is one where we already know what the good is, but act otherwise due to our preferences. So I think the problem with Kant's ethics is more that it isn't really that practical for shaping our temperaments. It's great as a "regulative ideal" (his words), but the thing with ideals is we chase after them and never really attain them. For actual practical ethics I think we also need something like a virtue ethics, to use for shaping our temperaments and bringing them into alignment with the good.

But Kant is a giant in philosophy, his influence is everywhere. And it's not just influence, you read something like the Critique of Pure Reason, and while it's written kind of horribly, the ideas themselves are just staggering and so ahead of their time. Like you read philosophers from the early modern period like Descartes and Leibniz and stuff, and you go "why the fuck are these guys so into these stupid metaphysical problems?" (substance, cosmos, etc). Then you read Kant and he just puts this stuff to rest, like totally kills oldschool metaphysics, and it is wonderful. It could be written today and still feel prescient.

Bladenic

Now I'm cracking the fuck up at the Mmm What you say scene from The OC and the SNL parody 💀💀💀 help

Overcooked is fucking amazing. If you need a good couch (no online) co-op game to tear your relationships apart until it all clicks and you love each other gain, play Overcooked.

It's basically Co-Op diner dash on steroids.

FoodTruck_Screen_11012016.png

Alrus

Welp I finally decided to try FF XIII since it was 4 bucks on squeenix's store and my god, I don't understand how anyone there was allowed to go on with nearly 3 hours with zero gameplay variations. It's so baffling that anyone can think this is ok.

Also the only character I don't find loathsome so far is Vanille surprisingly. Everyone else has done something stupid or just isn't someone I would root for. Also they went with the "misguided teen blaming someone for his relative's death" and that trope is so fucking played out.

I'll give it a few more hours but so far I'm not into it at all.

Fladam

Ooooof :( Coincidentally, while I was in NYC a couple weeks ago I spotted THE Mrs. Brady at Patsy's restaurant. She was laughing and eating spaghetti. RIP.

Donig a 180 from that, I saw Drag Race's Katya in Fort Worth last night at Kennedy Davenport's show. The place, understandably, went mad for her. Love that Russian hooker.

Beefy

I've often wondered how long it takes on average to get through one of those things. I would see for myself but since I'm type 1 diabetic I would Literally Die.

Never bought one before. Just opened the damaged one and there are about 30 pieces in there. No way will I eat it all myself.

Kater

Banned
Ha ha! Maybe it was that. Didn't want to "ride the bull" - I'm the goddam Inquisitor dammit!
While he is a bit crude he has a high rank among the Qunari forces and leader of a famous Mercenary gang so it's not like you'd sleep with a commoner if that's your concern. And his scars... just make him more attractive. x)

While he is a bit crude he has a high rank among the Qunari forces and leader of a famous Mercenary gang so it's not like you'd sleep with a commoner if that's your concern. And his scars... just make him more attractive. x)

He wants to top

/removingallsubtlety

Overcooked is fucking amazing. If you need a good couch (no online) co-op game to tear your relationships apart until it all clicks and you love each other gain, play Overcooked.

It's basically Co-Op diner dash on steroids.

FoodTruck_Screen_11012016.png
I have this on my Steam Wishlist. Seems like a fun game to take to family events one day. Same thing with Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, which I'm really eager to get one day. That one would require printing a couple binders worth of paper so multiple people can join in on the chaos, though, but it seems worth it.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

This (and Invisible Inc) are two games on PSN I'd like to try, but neither of them ever, ever go on sale for some reason. Sad.

Top Bottom