• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA Thread |OT5| Can't even drink straight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahasverus

It take 4 years to validate your degree what ? Why. That's like exactly how long it would take if i were to get a degree from scratch.
Yep, Engineering licenses require 4 years of Canadian experience (American counts too) and $7000. Perhaps I could get a job after 4 years in the states but at that time I'll probably happy there.

Will you also feature Morenatsu? I mean, well, it has anthro characters but it's still a gay dating sim so it would kinda fit. Just a suggestion, it's your thread so you decide what examples you want to include.

Oh, and don't forget about Gone Home if you can include it. Probably one of the most successful LGBT themed indie games out there.
I probably won't have Morenatsu in the OT (I'm not familiar with it), but you can certainly add in your thoughts. The whole point of the topic is to get people to add their own opinions.

As for Gone Home, again, that's more games with LGBT story content. This topic is focusing mostly on character design. What types of character gay/lesbian/bi gamers find attractive. What do gamers of other orientations think might be appealing to LGBT gamers. If attractive characters are something you find important. If so, why and when? If not, how come? Etc.

Grizzo

Gone Home, just as an example. I even made a thread for it once because I liked it so much.

Isn't that a huge spoiler though? :p

Oh, man. I could give you lots of suggestions. Could you want to narrow it down for me a bit? Fantasy? Science fiction? Classics? Short story collections? Poetry? History? Biographies? Race? Gender / Sexuality? There's so much!

Short stories and Classics from the last 500 years would be great!

If you know a great book about Race and Gender, I'm all up for it too!

Kater

Banned
I probably won't have Morenatsu in the OT (I'm not familiar with it), but you can certainly add in your thoughts. The whole point of the topic is to get people to add their own opinions.

As for Gone Home, again, that's more games with LGBT story content. This topic is focusing mostly on character design. What types of character gay/lesbian/bi gamers find attractive. What do gamers of other orientations think might be appealing to LGBT gamers. If attractive characters are something you find important. If so, why and when? If not, how come? Etc.
Oh, gotcha. So it's kinda your reimagining of what the thread that Winterfang made should have been like. I can support that, yeah. :)

When will the thread be finished? I want to be sure not to miss it.

Isn't that a huge spoiler though? :p
Shhhh! 😏

I think the biggest twist in the story has been talked about a lot and most people here on GAF are already familiar with what's the game about at it's core. But maybe I'm wrong.
Still, exploring the house for yourself and finding all the detailed history of the family should still be thrilling, even if you know the ending to it, I'd imagine.

Oh, gotcha. So it's kinda your reimagining of what the thread that Winterfang made should have been like. I can support that, yeah. :)

When will the thread be finished? I want to be sure not to miss it.
Well, the was the final push for me to make the topic. (I had been considering it for a while.)

I'll post a link to it here for sure, so no worries. (I'm working on it now, but I have to get final mod approval after it's done.) After the success of the Coming Out On Top OT, I'm more confident in making more LGBT related topics on the Gaming side of things.

daripad

I'd like to go to the US someday, I have a tourist visa for 10 years but I haven't used it yet :(

Actually there are a lot of countries that I'd like to visit :p

I'd like to go to the US someday, I have a tourist visa for 10 years but I haven't used it yet :(

Actually there are a lot of countries that I'd like to visit :p
Likewise. I've actually started listing them out, since I know it'll grow to be quite long. It's mostly European countries (Germany, Ireland (again), England (again), Italy, France, Switzerland, Austria, that whole area basically) But I'd also love to visit India, Japan, Iceland, China, and the UAE.

One day...

daripad

Likewise. I've actually started listing them out, since I know it'll grow to be quite long. It's mostly European countries (Germany, Ireland (again), England (again), Italy, France, Switzerland, Austria, that whole area basically) But I'd also love to visit India, Japan, Iceland, China, and the UAE.

One day...

Those plus Argentina, Brazil and Chile. I have only visited England and (very briefly) France so far.

Kater

Banned
Well, the was the final push for me to make the topic. (I had been considering it for a while.)

I'll post a link to it here for sure, so no worries. (I'm working on it now, but I have to get final mod approval after it's done.) After the success of the Coming Out On Top OT, I'm more confident in making more LGBT related topics on the Gaming side of things.
Thanks, would be appreciated. I don't check Gaming side all that often recently so I'd very likely miss it otherwise without a link in here.

DOWN

Banned

Why do you need mod approval? Just to make sure it's not too controversial?

Ahasverus

Yep. Sometimes there are sensitive topics that get the worse from people. Mods tend to avoid them as the end result might be a perpetual catfight. I am myself not the most rational person when discussing topics that touch a deep fiber in me, in the end I tend to avoid them (sometimes I don't, and I get promptly banned, as guys around here know was my favorite pastime last year) but it's better to prevent thread graveyards. However there are threads that are too good to let die without being born.

Mainly to make sure the mods are aware of what's going on and to get their support preemptively. These sorts of discussions are usually much more successful if the GAF staff know the topic's intention at the get go. Plus, the topic of sexuality in gaming has a tendency to get a bit volatile, so I really want to emphasize the positive angle this thread is coming from. (Plus, I really want to be as cooperative as possible, as GAF, and bishoptl specifically, has afforded me some privileges not really granted here, ie. the chance to make an OT for an adult game. I believe it has only been done once before. And I'm getting to do another one soon.)

Also, bishoptl told me once that even though it's not really fair, people are gonna look at topics like these more harshly and so it's important to start off on the right foot. (And I agree with him.) This is still an odd topic for a lot of people to discuss, even for some LGBT gamers. But you don't make strides forward if you don't take the steps, and these are the kind of steps that I think are helpful, but also fun(!!!) at the same time, which I think is of paramount importance. A lot of people seem to forget that playing and talking about games is supposed to be fun. (Crazy right?)

Caladrius

I'm gonna change that! :D

Draft sent of to bishoptl. Probably won't go up until at least tomorrow because he's probably in bed like a normal person.

I'm happy to go into Game |OT|s and more rarely recommendation threads, what-if threads or "What's your favorite X?" threads.

The problem for me usually lays with the constant Industry Drama or pissing and moaning about what have you (which is sometimes very justified and reasonable mind, but it's not very fun for me to read either way.). I tire of those sorts of things very quickly, and Twitter typically gives me the necessary earful of what's happening on those fronts already.

I know it's kind of internally inconsistent, but OT's generally have a more close-knit feeling for some reason, which makes it more hospitable to me than general Gaming threads are.

So uh, this the new Bachelor in the US. (Chris Soules)

KubG21G.jpg

O___________________________________________________________O

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
The only reason I look at gaming side is to see if there are any deals or price drops on a PS4, hah. Probably going to be waiting til next black Friday since Sony's got no incentive to lower it right now...

I really want to move to Washington state. Tired of the southeast.

Have you ever been here before? The Seattle area doesn't necessarily have much to offer that other metropolitan places can't, but there are a lot of outdoor thingies to do immediately outside the city areas; I'm only speculating that would be of interest since you're military and health/fitness focused. :eek:

I've been feeling incredibly frustrated this whole week and I have no idea why. I've had to distract myself by playing games or listening to music because otherwise I start getting super frustrated and pissed for no reason :l any advice?

Well, there are definitely others, (remember~ :3) but I don't just mean games with specific LGBT content, rather any aspects of character design that appeals to gay gamers, whether intentionally or not.

A prime example being Chris Redfield after his RE5 redesign. (He will be featured heavily in the topic.) While his new look was almost certainly not initially intended to turn Chris into a gay gaming icon, it definitely has. And since then with subsequent appearances, it seems like Capcom is trying to capitalize on that, or they are totally unaware to a hilarious degree. XD

This topic is mostly going to focus on character design. Like what types of character you find appealing/attractive. What types of characters you'd like to see. If attractive characters in gaming is important to you, etc. It's supposed to be fun and positive.
Dante in DmC was probably the first video game character who made me forget I was ogling someone who's not real.

tumblr_mh92agTKB01ryfipvo1_500.gif

Golnei

Dante in DmC was probably the first video game character who made me forget I was ogling someone who's not real.

tumblr_mh92agTKB01ryfipvo1_500.gif

I preferred the original Dante, but the final DmC design was still pretty good, and a massive improvement from the original reveal. Though it's a shame that the central ethos of the design was to 'not look gay'.

I preferred the original Dante, but the final DmC design was still pretty good, and a massive improvement from the original reveal. Though it's a shame that the central ethos of the design was to 'not look gay'.
I totally forgot about that presentation. That was super messed up. Ninja Theory is awful so it's not surprising.

My recently garnered support for Dino is fading away again.

So was DmC a standalone entry then? And next will be an actual DMC "5"?
No official word, but most signs point to yes. Dante in MvC 3 was the original one, and they are now doing a re-release of DMC 4 with new content.

DmC is another casualty of Capcom's failed "be western" experiment. Though outside of how cute Dino is, it's not really a loss IMO. Ninja Theory is truly awful, and as Golnei has reminded me, also vaguely racist and homophobic.

The game had some insanely creative art design, though. It really should have been a non-DMC game, or at least used a different protagonist.

Maybe it'll get the love it deserves with the 60fps PS4/XB1 remaster.

Maybe, stranger things have happened. But Capcom doesn't tend to revisit any of their western develop titles post release, especially if they didn't sell to their (usually crazy) standard.

I'm not a DmC fan, but I can definitely relate in frustration at Capcom for letting good IPs languish and die. They probably have the most quality dormant series of any publisher, and it drives me mad.

I didn't know this.

I thought they were going for ambiguity. There was a line in a trailer where he was described as a sexual deviant.

Mr_Zombie

This topic is focusing mostly on character design. What types of character gay/lesbian/bi gamers find attractive. What do gamers of other orientations think might be appealing to LGBT gamers. If attractive characters are something you find important. If so, why and when? If not, how come? Etc.

But wouldn't that basically cover all attractive characters (that may or may not appear nude/semi-nude?). Because for example I found Lee from The Walking Dead really attractive (plus I loved his voice), even though I'm sure no one from Telltales even thought about making him sexy or appealing to the gay crowd.

Wait, community isn't the only forum!?

There are other topics in Community than LGBTQIA and Funny Pics threads? :O

But wouldn't that basically cover all attractive characters (that may or may not appear nude/semi-nude?). Because for example I found Lee from The Walking Dead really attractive (plus I loved his voice), even though I'm sure no one from Telltales even thought about making him sexy or appealing to the gay crowd.
All the more reason to post that. It's not just for beefcake and pretty boys, but for all types of characters. Why do you like him? What about him makes him attractive? Would you like to see more characters like him? Etc.

Beyond the basis of just having a place to discuss this topic, I hope the thread can show a variety of views.

Cuddler

All the more reason to post that. It's not just for beefcake and pretty boys, but for all types of characters. Why do you like him? What about him makes him attractive? Would you like to see more characters like him? Etc.

Beyond the basis of just having a place to discuss this topic, I hope the thread can show a variety of views.

I think it would be great if you could write something like this in the OT too. It should help people feeling more comfortable about posting different types of characters.

I really like this.. Didn't know anything about it at all until I walked into the Jewish museum in NYC and they had a huge exhibit on comic books.. and Spieglman and MAUS were heavily featured. There's a giant print from Maus and it affected me emotionally more so than any art I'd seen that day (which was quite a bit because I'd been to the Met and Guggenheim)

Alrus

I wish I could find those images again, they were so ridiculous >.>

Mr_Zombie

And yet he is still desired by the gay community :p

I wish I could find those images again, they were so ridiculous >.>

Those "Dante is/is not" images?

gY5tvVW.jpg

x3VXizn.jpg

qcJoN4o.jpg

j5q4YtU.jpg

Yes, they are ridiculous. :D
Especially if you look at DmC Dante's early designs that don't look that much different to what Capcom was doing:
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/28/the-evolution-of-dante-in-dmc-devil-may-cry/

Grizzo

I really like this.. Didn't know anything about it at all until I walked into the Jewish museum in NYC and they had a huge exhibit on comic books.. and Spieglman and MAUS were heavily featured. There's a giant print from Maus and it affected me emotionally more so than any art I'd seen that day (which was quite a bit because I'd been to the Met and Guggenheim)

Exactly I started reading it last night, it seems moving and compelling. I'll tell you more about it once I finished it!

And yet he is still desired by the gay community :p

Those "Dante is/is not" images?

Yes, they are ridiculous. :D
Especially if you look at DmC Dante's early designs that don't look that much different to what Capcom was doing:
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/28/the-evolution-of-dante-in-dmc-devil-may-cry/

What does that even mean? Are Batman and Robin considered gay? Is Dante supposed to be a moody teenager sitting on top of a car?

why is Dante posing between the two BrokeBack Mountain cow-boys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom