• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

LeonSPBR

Obviously, they announced the date weeks ago, but it seems like Dontnod are doubling down and committing to October 20 as the finale's release date, previously just stating it was aiming for then.

They've just gone live with what seems like the cover (of sorts) for Episode 5 as a FB banner.

12118970_448961688628828_2397676789114208448_n.png

14 days!!!!

The wait is real!!!

tomtom94

it'shappening.gif

I don't think I'll be able to play it on the day of release as I'll most likely be working... but as soon as I get time to just sit down and play it all the way through I'll do that.

tissues at the ready.

So I was considering getting this game, would you all recommend waiting until Ep 5 comes out or try to catch up before it comes out?

NO.

The episodes are clearly designed to be spaced out. You don't want to play through all of them at once.

Try to play each episode in one sitting, but wait a few days between each one.

Danj

NO.

The episodes are clearly designed to be spaced out. You don't want to play through all of them at once.

Try to play each episode in one sitting, and wait a few days between each episode.

So much this. If you tried to binge play this you would die of feels overload.

A-V-B

this does not hold true for life is strange. really, don't do this--the tension built up by the wait between episodes is part of what makes the payoff when the episode does come so great.

...this kinda makes the game sound like shit, to be honest. And it's not.

I don't agree with these folks - I binge-played chapters 1-3, then played chapter 4 the next day (because it was late at night when I finished 3). I thought it was great playing it that way.

I'm just drive by posting (to avoid spoilers) but I've been doing a weekly episode playthrough so I can finally play episode 5 on release. Oh man this series is good. I completed Episode 3 last week and plan on doing Episode 4 on Thursday. Really enjoying it so far.

I agree with the "don't binge" crew. Take your time between each episode, play the different outcome, collect all the optional photos... and a week later jump into the next episode.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
binging the game at once fucks with the pacing

the game was designed to be episodic, and benefits greatly from it

aravuus

I see no issues with playing a lot of it at once...

Yeah, like I said, it's a personal thing and I'm not sure why people are so insistent that binging somehow seems to ruin the game. Kinda gives me the impression that it's not very well paced or designed then, if playing a lot on one go ruins it.

But I suppose waiting a day or two before starting the next episode could sort of make the experience better?

jon bones

Kinda gives me the impression that it's not very well paced or designed then, if playing a lot on one go ruins it.

But I suppose waiting a day or two before starting the next episode could sort of make the experience better?
Makes the hype sound more important than the game, and that it won't be worth playing once it's all finished.

you guys know how some TV shows are better when you can Netflix the whole season at once, and some are better when you give each episode a week to breathe and reflect on?

it's like that

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
The beats every game ends on feel quite like punctuation marks, moments we're meant to breathe before continuing the next thought. I always felt glad that I had time, whether I wanted it or not, between episodes so I could decompress all the information it was trying to show me. I wouldn't go so far as to say that binging would ruin the whole experience, but there really is something about having a few days or weeks in between to stop and think, "What if this comes back to bite me in the ass?" or "They wouldn't possibly go that far, would they?" which binging doesn't allow for.

Jyrii

Banned
I played the four episodes during 2 days. Mostly played an episode in one sitting and then took break for few hours. That worked for me.

aravuus

you guys know how some TV shows are better when you can Netflix the whole season at once, and some are better when you give each episode a week to breathe and reflect on?

it's like that

You don't have to try and simplify your point or whatever, I'm not an idiot

I'm just saying that, while binging it affects the experience, it won't RRUUUIIIINNNN it, like it seems to according to some.

Sifl

Personally I think games like this are better when you know you can go right to the next part, even if you don't do it in 1 sitting. I waited till there was 4 episodes of this released, and more recently I bought all The Wof Among Us. I kinda wish I waited till all 5 of this was released, not enjoying the wait.

Off topic: Where the fuck is The Wolf Among Us season 2, plz Telltale.

wrowa

I played the first three episodes back to back and I can't say that I felt that it hurt the experience. To the contrary, it felt like binge-watching a great series until the early morning because you just can't stop. I think it was 4am when I forced mysef to stop playing episode 3.

JinnAxel

Neo Member
Makes the hype sound more important than the game, and that it won't be worth playing once it's all finished.

On the other hand it could also make it seem like the game was meant to have its content mulled over and thoroughly digested before playing the next installment (which is mostly true, the themes and content are kinda heavy)

I'm just saying that, while binging it affects the experience, it won't RRUUUIIIINNNN it, like it seems to according to some.

Has anyone actually said that, though? I'm sure you could enjoy this game perfectly well playing it all the way through in the span of a couple days, but it's not the optimal way to play the game.

And if someone comes into this thread asking if it would be better to buy the game now or wait two weeks for all the episodes to come out, I'm going to respond that he or she should absolutely buy it now.

Each episode has its own climax. They all start slow, and gradually get more intense, so that you always come away from a complete episode feeling satisfied. This would be largely lost to someone who plays through the whole game at once.

A-V-B

On the other hand it could also make it seem like the game was meant to have its content mulled over and thoroughly digested before playing the next installment (which is mostly true, the themes and content are kinda heavy)

And you can do this at literally any time. It's what people do when they come across single-shot completed projects with heavy themes. They mull over the entire game.

aravuus

Has anyone actually said that, though? I'm sure you could enjoy this game perfectly well playing it all the way through in the span of a couple days, but it's not the optimal way to play the game.

No, but the way some people are posting gives me the impression that you might as well not play it at all if you're planning on binge playing.

I agree with the "don't binge" crew. Take your time between each episode, play the different outcome, collect all the optional photos... and a week later jump into the next episode.

Eww, I don't want to spoil myself that way - I'm waiting until I finish all episodes before I go back and try different outcomes, especially since different choices can effect future episodes.

Eww, I don't want to spoil myself that way - I'm waiting until I finish all episodes before I go back and try different outcomes, especially since different choices can effect future episodes.
Well I do what I wrote but always after having played through my "main" playthrough, which I leave untouched without any "reload-try different way". In my main I act as I were Max and stick to my decisions however unpleasent the outcome may end up to be. But I also keep a second save where I do the exact opposite of my main, collect all the optional photos and such. I'll do the third playthrough on PS4 when it comes out on disc, where I'll be playing already knowing the ending according to what I think the developers thought were the best decisions.

Kate talks Max off the edge unless she jumped, then Max jumps too.

The feel good game of Halloween.

What about
Kate is killed in the hospital, Max finds her, rewinds but fails to save Kate and ends up having to kill Kate to save her from the pain of lung failure, then uses a gun to kill herself as well. Chloe, angered, finds that Nathan has killed the teacher and is about to do himself in the head, but Chloe stops him and does it herself. Chloe is arrested, Chloe's mother has a sudden heart failure and is revealed to suffer from leukemia. A while later she dies too.

Warren is condemned to an eternity of solitude.

A-V-B

What about
Kate is killed in the hospital, Max finds her, rewinds but fails to save Kate and ends up having to kill Kate to save her from the pain of lung failure, then uses a gun to kill herself as well. Chloe, angered, finds that Nathan has killed the teacher and is about to do himself in the head, but Chloe stops him and does it herself. Chloe is arrested, Chloe's mother has a sudden heart failure and is revealed to suffer from leukemia. A while later she dies too.

Just another day for Liam.

Sorian

Banned
What about

At least Dana is ok.

Nuke Soda

What about

okay you win, jeez.

it's like that

I've never experienced that. If a TV show with a linear storyline is watched back to back, and that isn't a good way to watch it, then it's a bad TV show. And Life is Strange is my favorite game of the year so far, though I binge-played the first four episodes in two sittings.

TheFatMan

Why does all of this stuff have to come out within a month of each other?

I'm sitting here with pockets of money and nothing I want to play or buy. The gaming industry needs to learn to spread it's releases out more.

luminous

I'm so ready to stay up to finish this on a week day. Assuming it comes out at midnight here once again that is but it's def worth

jon bones

I've never experienced that. If a TV show with a linear storyline is watched back to back, and that isn't a good way to watch it, then it's a bad TV show. And Life is Strange is my favorite game of the year so far, though I binge-played the first four episodes in two sittings.

that's a very narrow approach to art

KingBroly

Banned
Obviously, they announced the date weeks ago, but it seems like Dontnod are doubling down and committing to October 20 as the finale's release date, previously just stating it was aiming for then.

They've just gone live with what seems like the cover (of sorts) for Episode 5 as a FB banner.

12118970_448961688628828_2397676789114208448_n.png

So we're back the opening of Episode 1 I see.

So we're back the opening of Episode 1 I see.

Those events from Episode One always happened on a Friday (based on the paper Max saw blowing), so the fact that a whole bunch of Episode Five should take place on a Friday would make sense that we play that section - but it is now present.

Episode 4 stuff:
Also, the very first episode of LIS begins with Max waking up on the ground beside the lighthouse having no idea how she got there. If that is a glimpse into Friday - which we will now play in Episode Five - does that mean Jefferson put here there after drugging her?

Episode 4 stuff:
Also, the very first episode of LIS begins with Max waking up on the ground beside the lighthouse having no idea how she got there. If that is a glimpse into Friday - which we will now play in Episode Five - does that mean Jefferson put here there after drugging her?

I think what she experienced in the start of episode 1 was just like a premonition or something. Jefferson drugging her and putting her out by the shore doesn't make any sense.

jediyoshi

I don't know if my heart can take another major downer plot point. Everything up until this point I'm alright with, but surely they can't do anything to waifu of the year

Top Bottom